Author Topic: Folding@Home Coronavirus Project  (Read 3728 times)

Offline bliss

Folding@Home Coronavirus Project
« on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 10:51:22 »
This thread is meant to advertise the master thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40979.0

It has become sensible (and fashionable) to aid drug research for Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) via Folding@Home.

Like many other tech sites and communities already do, I find it appropriate and noble for Geekhack to join the cause.

Information about folding with Team Geekhack in the master thread, I want to add Corona-specific details:
Team GeekHack.org is currently ranked 931st 938th.

Be sure to  join our team, ID 224030
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 06:28:36 by bliss »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Folding@Home Coronavirus Project
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 11:41:06 »
I'm doing laundry and folding everything using my FlipFold. :thumb:

Offline bliss

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 14:10:05 »

Offline jseyfert3

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 15:33:16 »
I started this yesterday when someone at work mentioned it. There wasn't much talk of starting a company team, so I was just folding with no team till I saw this. I added the geekhack team to both my rigs.

Currently got my work laptop with an i7-8750H and Nvidea Quadro P2000 crunching whenever I'm not working (I'm working from home, I can't stand being right next to the laptop while the fan are running on high). That laptop out-folds my desktop, an old server with a Xeon E3-1225 and an Nvidea GTX 760 Ti.

All this influx of work has made actual work units scarce, but they're working on upping the servers to keep up with the demand. Currently my two rigs have been pretty steady with GPU units but the CPU spends more time idling than folding due to the lack of available WU.

Haven't done computing projects in a number of years. I used to do some projects on BOINC on and off, including FAH (it was on BOINC at the time), SETI, and Milkyway@home. Usually I stopped due to the either fan noise eventually annoying me or summer hitting and the rig putting off too much heat. I forgot how terrible it was to use the computer for anything if your only GPU was crunching numbers. Can't even scroll webpages hardly. Right now I just pause the GPU folding while I'm using the computer, but I let the CPU folding continue since that doesn't affect most things I do on my computer.
Unicomp Ultra Classic, black with gray keys. Currently here searching for my ideal portable and work keyboards.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:05:49 »
I can put my son's rig on the team as my other rigs are split between LTT and OCN.  There are other flags that can aid in gaining more points as well in the Expert tab.  Just glad to see F@H having more projects available as it went through a major dry spell when everyone jumped back on.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D