Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 301316 times)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #600 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:34:22 »

the same way those who are desperate for blue Alps pay $100 + (ie, me :P). 

I've been on the hunt for blue alps, but haven't come across a board at any price for a while. :(

Try all the keywords that will show you all of the vintage keyboard listings. I was able to get my board with blue Alps because it got buried underneath other listings very quickly since the listing didn't have any keywords that stood out as a blue Alps board.

Offline E3E

« Reply #601 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:16:30 »
Try all the keywords that will show you all of the vintage keyboard listings. I was able to get my board with blue Alps because it got buried underneath other listings very quickly since the listing didn't have any keywords that stood out as a blue Alps board.

Yep, this is true. It's how I got my Dell AT101 w/ Salmon alps for $29 + shipping whereas the damn thing usually always sells for $100+ It even has a DIN connector, which is something I haven't seen on any examples yet (though I'm sure there are some), so kinda cool!  I love those giant connectors.

I have almost all of my eBay "interest" searches I'm following taken up by keyboard-related stuff now. Leads on green alps, blue alps, amber, brown tactile and linear, etc. I'm not super eager to buy anything now since I have all I need, but eventually I'm going to get one of those IBM 5140s for the caps and tactile browns, and a Wang for the alphas.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #602 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:56:26 »
Update:

The Matias order is in, and they will be shipping the order so I can promptly lose the majority of the space in my living room.
The laser cutter got the final quote to me and is manufacturing a sample to make sure everything looks good before they go all in on production.
I will also be ordering shipping supplies tonight such as boxes.

I don't think I've seen it anywhere in the thread but is there a photo of the colour that the plate is going to be anodized in?

There is no photo, because the powder coating place I will be using is too mom and pop for 'samples' and a 'nice website'.  All I can tell you now is that it will (hopefully) be metallic blue which is darker than the metallic blue offered on the usual array of poker cases.  That is the vision.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #603 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:17:15 »
Update:

The Matias order is in, and they will be shipping the order so I can promptly lose the majority of the space in my living room.
The laser cutter got the final quote to me and is manufacturing a sample to make sure everything looks good before they go all in on production.
I will also be ordering shipping supplies tonight such as boxes.

I don't think I've seen it anywhere in the thread but is there a photo of the colour that the plate is going to be anodized in?

There is no photo, because the powder coating place I will be using is too mom and pop for 'samples' and a 'nice website'.  All I can tell you now is that it will (hopefully) be metallic blue which is darker than the metallic blue offered on the usual array of poker cases.  That is the vision.

What happened to the 3 week PayPal money steal?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #604 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:22:22 »
Blue knocked over a 7/11 so we can get our Alps sooner.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #605 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:31:07 »
One more thing.  There is a 2 week delay on the switches, since we actually ordered more than the current stock at Matias.  They need a lead time so they can get some piping fresh ones to send.

That was announced on the 10th, so it has been 18 days since then.  The moneysteal wasn't a complete lock down, rather it was that each payment since the date in question would have the delay applied to it.  So not all of it is in yet, but there is enough for me to keep things rolling.  I also purposely staggered the purchases so there would not be a problem, and the schedule would be maintained.

Snitches get stitches, you better watch those loose lips of yours.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #606 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:44:45 »
One more thing.  There is a 2 week delay on the switches, since we actually ordered more than the current stock at Matias.  They need a lead time so they can get some piping fresh ones to send.

That was announced on the 10th, so it has been 18 days since then.  The moneysteal wasn't a complete lock down, rather it was that each payment since the date in question would have the delay applied to it.  So not all of it is in yet, but there is enough for me to keep things rolling.  I also purposely staggered the purchases so there would not be a problem, and the schedule would be maintained.

How many switches did Matias have? We only ordered nearly 10k switches... They should have that many on hand!

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline E3E

« Reply #607 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:46:27 »

How many switches did Matias have? We only ordered nearly 10k switches... They should have that many on hand!

That just made me think of a single "keyboard" with 10,000 switches. Like a whole room consisting of nothing but keyswitches.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #608 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:49:40 »
10k switches are aprox 100 boards its not that much :)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #609 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:24:55 »
10k switches are aprox 100 boards its not that much :)

*96.1 boards
Full size boards at least

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #610 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:44:41 »
Well planned and run GB so far, Blue! Very well done :)

Offline skaloola

« Reply #611 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 04:41:02 »
sorry this is probably a dumb question:

it looks like there is a spot on Matias switches for an LED, would the PCB from this GB support in switch LEDs?

Offline E3E

« Reply #612 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 04:52:52 »
sorry this is probably a dumb question:

it looks like there is a spot on Matias switches for an LED, would the PCB from this GB support in switch LEDs?

Nope, the PCBs do not support in-switch LEDs.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #613 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 13:43:05 »
If anyone has an alps locking switch, it would be great free, but I could pay as well.

Thanks!

Offline slaction

« Reply #614 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 19:59:10 »
If anyone has an alps locking switch, it would be great free, but I could pay as well.

I have one that I don't care to send, but you'd have to cover shipping, not sure how much it would be since i'm in KY -US.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #615 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 20:10:09 »

I have one that I don't care to send, but you'd have to cover shipping, not sure how much it would be since i'm in KY -US.

Couldn't be that much if it went in a bubble letter thing.
Thanks, I'll pm you.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #616 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:07:02 »

Thanks, I'll pm you.

Whats the locking switch gonna be for? Alps64? I have one on the caps lock and I might get another for a function layer.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #617 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:28:41 »

Thanks, I'll pm you.

Whats the locking switch gonna be for? Alps64? I have one on the caps lock and I might get another for a function layer.

It would have been for caps lock.

Offline morffius

« Reply #618 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 16:17:02 »
If anyone doesn't want their PCB / AEKII plate, ill be happy to buy it off of them!

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #619 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:56:17 »
Any chance of a second round?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:05:59 »
Bit early for that  :eek:
The GB is running pretty smoothly, let's wait till we're done before complicating things!

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:21:23 »
Bit early for that  :eek:
The GB is running pretty smoothly, let's wait till we're done before complicating things!
Just asking. I missed the first round so I wonder if there will ever be a second round.
Actually I am not sure if I will join the second round (if there will be one). I am now using a half-custom keyboard (V60 with PCB replaced by hasu's Alps 64). It's great that it uses TMK firmware and is fully programmable, but it also comes with some minor problems of V60 (not well compatible with Poker cases and wobbling spacebar stabilizer). I believe building a new board from ground up will be better, but this V60 has been with me for a year and there are some memories and emotions tied with it...
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #622 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:03:03 »
I think there's a fair chance, tbh. This GB has been extremely successful, and while a lot of the people who want to buy Alps boards already bought one this round, it's quite possible the demand might build itself up to the same level by next autumn for example. But the GB leader has to make the decision to run again of course.
Remember: His hardest part has yet to come - packing and sending all the individual orders all over the world.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #623 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:10:02 »
I'm wondering if anyone wishes to trade their switch order for this GB.  I'm quite sure that I ordered 70 linear switches, although i now would prefer quiet switches for this project.  Please send me a PM if you are interested.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #624 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:09:53 »
 Blue: what was the breakdown for plates?  I'm curious how popular the AEK layout really is.  I have an idea in my head that most people want a normal ANSI layout but maybe I will be surprised.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #625 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:18:26 »
Blue: what was the breakdown for plates?  I'm curious how popular the AEK layout really is.  I have an idea in my head that most people want a normal ANSI layout but maybe I will be surprised.

I think he did some sort of statistical analysis of the breakdown somewhere in the thread...
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #626 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:21:10 »
Yeah, a number of pages back, here's the plate image

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #627 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:22:13 »
I knew that, I was..um ... testing you guys.  :cool:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #628 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:02:18 »
Thanks for linking those statistics for Tom.  I'm glad they were there for someone who was curious, and not just standing as a testament to my geekiness. 

The AEK took less of a chunk out (only 24%) than the standard layouts (32%).  Both pale in comparison to the modern layouts (44%) which were quite popular.  The AEK portion is probably due to the availability of used caps and stems which make sourcing parts easier.  In my opinion, the modern layouts only made such a big chunk because of Alpine Winter.  The availability of the parts gives an opportunity for users to try out something new to them like an exotic layout or switches beyond the Cherry mainstay.

It will be interesting to see what effects this will have on future design decisions and group buy organization.  The first successful Alps complete keycap set in conjunction with the plethora of Matias switches which are about to be in the hands of the community may influence what is accepted by the mainstream.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #629 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:03:25 »
And to preempt the inevitable questioning... No news to report.  The army to conquer Rome didn't cross the Alps in a day.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #630 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:30:43 »
And to preempt the inevitable questioning... No news to report.  The army to conquer Rome didn't cross the Alps in a day.

Soooo... Elephants conquered Rome?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #631 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 20:03:22 »

To conquer, as in set to conquer without having attempted it yet.  Perhaps there was some confusion due to the language barrier between English and Canafrenchlish.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #632 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 23:30:10 »

To conquer, as in set to conquer without having attempted it yet.  Perhaps there was some confusion due to the language barrier between English and Canafrenchlish.

Sorry aboot that eh!
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 22:42:44 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #633 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 04:50:32 »
I know I'm very late to this party but if you happen to have a spare 60% plate, PCB with HHKB layout support or Matias Linear Switches please contact me! :thumb:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #634 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 05:11:21 »
Is anyone interested in running a GB for blank pbt alps caps? Is this even possible at the moment -- SP does Alps DS but does anyone know if they can do PBT?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline squishygnomes

« Reply #635 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 05:37:45 »
Is anyone interested in running a GB for blank pbt alps caps? Is this even possible at the moment -- SP does Alps DS but does anyone know if they can do PBT?

Now might not be the best time for it, Alpine Winter was very recent and had blanks available. You are basically hoping there are enough people who want a fully blank set (AW had limited sizes / rows of blanks) or only use PBT and so didn't buy into AW. There'll also probably be quite a few Alps fans with empty wallets. Alps Party, Alpine Winter and the Monarch are all happening reasonably close to each other, there's gotta be at least a few people who'd be interested but just can't spare the money.

Regardless of that, I'm always down for Alps GBs so if anyone ends up running anything you can count me in for a few sets

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #636 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 06:28:50 »
Matias is supposedly working on PBT Alps tooling as we speak. I haven't been closely following the discussion because I'm not a big PBT fan but there was news of a recent survey trip to the facility in China and I think Matias said things are progressing slightly behind schedule but looks good so far.

Can anyone fill in the blanks here?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #637 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 06:48:25 »
Yeah, a number of pages back, here's the plate image

Show Image

Pie chart... RIP  :'(

Matias is supposedly working on PBT Alps tooling as we speak. I haven't been closely following the discussion because I'm not a big PBT fan but there was news of a recent survey trip to the facility in China and I think Matias said things are progressing slightly behind schedule but looks good so far.

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #638 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:01:57 »
I wouldn't not be interested in a blank PBT cap run... assuming AEKII compatibility. Was nice to see the alpine winter buy happening, but definitely not my thing as far as appearances go. Honestly the coolest thing I'd like to see is AEKII replica caps (similar legending etc) possibly in light and dark colors with somewhat muted or no legends. Probably wont ever see anything like that but it'd be nice nice.

While not the highest quality or best caps in the world, I have vortex PBT sideprints on both of my current boards and love them, low key is more my preference.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #639 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 21:06:05 »
Good news folks. 

I was in Tulsa today, and things worked out such that the laser cutters had the prototype finished today.  So I paid them a little visit.  I was able to meet up with the guys that are handling the cutting, shake hands, and approve the workmanship.  I was amused meeting with my contact, because I finally put together that the shop is part of a high-end grill company.  So while I waited for him to come to the front I could take a look at some of their other culinary oriented creations.  Check out the photos:

The edges are nice and clean.  I was happy with how they turned out.  The close up on the second picture here shows the quality well.  The focus there was the small hole for the stabilizer inserts near the bottom of the plate for the spacebar.  That edge is only a few mils thick.  They were a little worried about it using the laser, and for good reason.  The edge near that point is slightly blackened from the localized heating with less area with which to sink.  However, there was no warping in that location and the quality of the part is still great.

The finished plates will look slightly less dull as well.  The pictures I took were before the plate was sent to the "Timesaver" to polish and grind the steel.  The final product will have more luster and a somewhat brushed appearance - like the finish you would see on a high-end grill.

I regret not getting a photo of me shaking hands with my contact though.  I wore my Techkeys shirt in case the opportunity arose.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #640 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 05:57:01 »
Sweet looking plates! I'm glad I bought multiples so I can enjoy the blue powder coat on one but still see the bare metal on the others.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #641 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 11:31:34 »
Very cool. Can't wait to see the winkeyless AT101 plates.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #642 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 13:05:40 »
Awesome pictures! I'm really hyped up for this now!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #643 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 22:06:19 »
I'm sorta regretting not getting the blue powder coat now.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline E3E

« Reply #644 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 00:22:10 »

Turn that frown upside down! You can always paint it yourself with some metalcast blue anodized paint! It works really well actually, in most cases. Passing that, you can go to a powder coating place and get it coated any color you want! THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

EDIT: as an example

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:39:20 by E3E »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #645 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:54:59 »

You won't notice it once you have keycaps on, not to worry.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #646 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 01:59:16 »

if it were anyone besides matias i might be interested but i'm sure they'll figure out some way to mess it up. thanks for the info though  :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:52:55 »

You won't notice it once you have keycaps on, not to worry.
Unless you are building a sexy HHKB  :cool:

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #648 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:55:13 »
I am building a sexy HHKB!  :cool: :thumb:

Offline SJHL

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 11:02:49 »

Turn that frown upside down! You can always paint it yourself with some metalcast blue anodized paint! It works really well actually, in most cases. Passing that, you can go to a powder coating place and get it coated any color you want! THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

EDIT: as an example

Show Image

That looks great! Hopefully the color of the plate looks like that.