Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 301295 times)

Offline cheddarbek

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #650 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:16:42 »
Turn that frown upside down! You can always paint it yourself with some metalcast blue anodized paint! It works really well actually, in most cases. Passing that, you can go to a powder coating place and get it coated any color you want! THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

EDIT: as an example

Look at those switches, the subtle blue sliders, the tasteful tactile feel of it. Oh my god. It even has a watermark blue plate.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #651 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:33:02 »
Turn that frown upside down! You can always paint it yourself with some metalcast blue anodized paint! It works really well actually, in most cases. Passing that, you can go to a powder coating place and get it coated any color you want! THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

EDIT: as an example

Look at those switches, the subtle blue sliders, the tasteful tactile feel of it. Oh my god. It even has a watermark blue plate.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #652 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 20:49:07 »
Any chance that someone here has an ANSI spare plate that I can buy?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2015, 21:01:06 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #653 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 09:43:33 »

i would if somebody has a HHKB plate that I could buy! :D

Offline pkircher

« Reply #654 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:50:14 »
any news on the switches ? thanks

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #655 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 06:05:22 »
When does another round of these type of group buys usually occur? I am really regretting not getting in on this one. :(

I'm very interested if anyone wants to sell an ANSI pcb.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #656 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 09:25:06 »
When does another round of these type of group buys usually occur? I am really regretting not getting in on this one. :(

I'm very interested if anyone wants to sell an ANSI pcb.

Whenever (if ever) the organizer wants to.  :)  Some of these sort of buys are never repeated, but there may be a similar buy that pops up in a half a year or so - no way to predict it unless you're in cahoots with the organizer.  :P

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #657 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 13:05:39 »
I'm bummed I missed out on this buy! I just got a V60MTS-Q and now I'm addicted  :p I was planning on selling my TKL so I can get another Alps 60%. Next time around I guess. Unless someone ends up selling their parts!  :thumb:

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #658 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:37:35 »
I have way to many projects going on right now, and am looking for someone to take over my spot here if possible. I have:

Assembled PCB, Infinity plate, Quiet Clicks, and a Stab set. PM me if interested.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #659 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 14:42:20 »
I could very much use the same.... Would love to have an Infinity Layout Alps Plate.
I was a day too late because of some business travel (overall busyness).

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #660 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:51:25 »
Updates!

Plates - due to be complete by Nov. 23
PCBs - In the mail from Hasu, not sure on arrival date yet
Switches/Stabs - Scheduled delivery Nov. 16

Time to get excited.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #661 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:57:39 »
not sure on arrival date yet

god seriously this is just the worst group buy ever

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #662 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:07:44 »
Updates!

Time to get excited.

Man this is great news - everything is running so quick!

I can't decide what case is appropriate for it though and I don't have any alps keycaps until alpine winter happens  :'(

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:08:03 »

With such little complaining in the damn thread it just doesn't feel like a real GB :mad:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #664 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:13:16 »

With such little complaining in the damn thread it just doesn't feel like a real GB :mad:

grumble grumble grumble

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #665 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:17:22 »
Updates!

Time to get excited.

Happy Canadian!
I'll be even happier when I get it!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:34:28 by Deductivemonkee »
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #666 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 19:19:26 »

Alps people don't complain much because we are used to getting shafted.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #667 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 01:02:23 »

It's sad but true.

Funny, looks like the cases I ordered before this buy even began will arrive AFTER the parts from this buy do.

Thanks on the timing blue, (probably)sending me alps guts before I even have a case to put them in. Pfft!
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #668 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 01:13:49 »

It's sad but true.

Funny, looks like the cases I ordered before this buy even began will arrive AFTER the parts from this buy do.

Thanks on the timing blue, (probably)sending me alps guts before I even have a case to put them in. Pfft!

As a relatively new person to mechs and Alps, how exactly has Alps been shafted in the past? I recall a failed keyset GB but that might just be a false memory.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #669 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 01:18:06 »

It's sad but true.

As a relatively new person to mechs and Alps, how exactly has Alps been shafted in the past? I recall a failed keyset GB but that might just be a false memory.

I think he meant GB's in general, many of which seem to go off the rails in some way or other.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #670 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 01:59:18 »
I don't think Alps has been shafted in the past, it just suffers from slightly lower popularity.  You can't make it more popular without pushing something through to make it salient and gain the much needed attention of the community.  I was aware of this when I was planning, and that is why I spent so much time early on with the little stupid things that get people excited about the project like photoshop propaganda, artisan giveaways, and so many options that you can't not want at least something.  I've talked to CPT about writing up an article for Tactile about the process and pitfalls of making something from left field like this happen.  Hopefully it will be useful information for the future of all GB's here.

But why did I go to all this effort?  Simple.  I decided I wanted to do it.  Unfortunately, I can't expand on my reasons yet because my secret plans have yet to come to fruition.  Needless to say, I think everyone will get a kick out of the Shamalayan-esque twist I have planned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #671 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 02:45:47 »
I don't think Alps has been shafted in the past, it just suffers from slightly lower popularity.  You can't make it more popular without pushing something through to make it salient and gain the much needed attention of the community.  I was aware of this when I was planning, and that is why I spent so much time early on with the little stupid things that get people excited about the project like photoshop propaganda, artisan giveaways, and so many options that you can't not want at least something.  I've talked to CPT about writing up an article for Tactile about the process and pitfalls of making something from left field like this happen.  Hopefully it will be useful information for the future of all GB's here.

But why did I go to all this effort?  Simple.  I decided I wanted to do it.  Unfortunately, I can't expand on my reasons yet because my secret plans have yet to come to fruition.  Needless to say, I think everyone will get a kick out of the Shamalayan-esque twist I have planned.

Bluenalgene was demik all along?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #672 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 05:10:26 »
PCBs are just shipped to BlueNalgene with EMS, it will take 4 days accroding to Japan Post estimate.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #673 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 05:25:33 »

This should be good.

PCBs are just shipped to BlueNalgene with EMS, it will take 4 days accroding to Japan Post estimate.

That's nice and fast.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #674 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 05:37:48 »

I just meant we're always forgotten about. There was a failed PMK buy for a full Alps set, it was actually designed by Badwrench. I got my first Alps boards after the fact, just in time to catch the interest check for his modifiers.

I would love to hear your thoughts about the GB planning process! This was a super ambitious buy.

Bluenalgene was demik all along?

He's actually not a water bottle.
Woot!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #675 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 07:26:10 »

Oh yea, forgot to say, is this plan like some Elon Musk "I'm building rocket ships not because I want to compete with NASA but because I actually want to colonize Mars" type of thing? 

Are you planning to take this keycap set to Mars? Are you actually Elon Musk?  If so, I request that you add an Alps keyboard to the Tesla touchscreen.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #676 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 11:57:16 »
I suddenly have 'will the keys fit'-itis.
I originally was going to use my AEK2 plate with original AEK2 caps, and my Dell Winkey-ANSI-don't-make-me-look-up-the-model-number plate with Alpine Winter, but then I realized the AEK2 boards were REALLY hard to get to Europe without taking up a second mortgage, and I don't even have a first mortage. So I ordered some Dolch caps through Massdrop.

So now the thought is to use AW on the AEK2 plate and the Dolch on the Dell plate, and then switch to my original scheme when I get to the US next. Then I can buy a keyboard, dissasemble it in a shady hotel room and take the good parts back home.

But will this work? And is it possible that I've asked before and forgotten...? I'm slightly overworked...

Offline shoostep

« Reply #677 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 12:10:31 »

So it turned out being cheaper than we expected, it's moving along quickly, and now there is a twist too!  This group buy continues to exceed my expectations in every way.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #678 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 12:12:34 »
I suddenly have 'will the keys fit'-itis.
I originally was going to use my AEK2 plate with original AEK2 caps, and my Dell Winkey-ANSI-don't-make-me-look-up-the-model-number plate with Alpine Winter, but then I realized the AEK2 boards were REALLY hard to get to Europe without taking up a second mortgage, and I don't even have a first mortage. So I ordered some Dolch caps through Massdrop.

So now the thought is to use AW on the AEK2 plate and the Dolch on the Dell plate, and then switch to my original scheme when I get to the US next. Then I can buy a keyboard, dissasemble it in a shady hotel room and take the good parts back home.

But will this work? And is it possible that I've asked before and forgotten...? I'm slightly overworked...

Don't worry. Standard Dell ANSI will work with the Tai Hao caps from Massdrop (Dolch/Olivetti/WoB). And the Alpine Winter base kit will work on your AEKII board.

I'm actually typing on Tai Hao Dolch right now on my Filco Zero. They're pretty nice caps.

My boards:
More

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #679 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 12:44:30 »
Don't worry. Standard Dell ANSI will work with the Tai Hao caps from Massdrop (Dolch/Olivetti/WoB). And the Alpine Winter base kit will work on your AEKII board.

I'm actually typing on Tai Hao Dolch right now on my Filco Zero. They're pretty nice caps.
Thanks, now I can relax and wait with no patience ;)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #680 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 14:32:34 »

I was skeptical in the IC process (for reasons that are slipping my mind!), but hats off to you for the way you've handled the GB so far.

I just meant we're always forgotten about. There was a failed PMK buy for a full Alps set, it was actually designed by Badwrench. I got my first Alps boards after the fact, just in time to catch the interest check for his modifiers.

What happened to that gb? Not enough community support? PMK's fault? did the sets ever ship?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2015, 14:34:41 by sean »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #681 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 14:33:53 »
What happened to that gb? Not enough community support? PMK's fault? did the sets ever ship?

Not enough orders to meet MOQ. It happened right around some other popular group buys, and I think people just had money tied up in other stuff.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Applet

« Reply #682 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 06:45:15 »
I ordered a HHKB plate that I could let go to you if you have use for it and are interested. I just ordered it for the opportunity, don't have any current project planned for it. Better that it gets used for something good :) Not sure how it would work transferring the order or if it's to late. Already paid for shipping to Europe...

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #683 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 11:28:52 »
I ordered a HHKB plate that I could let go to you if you have use for it and are interested. I just ordered it for the opportunity, don't have any current project planned for it. Better that it gets used for something good :) Not sure how it would work transferring the order or if it's to late. Already paid for shipping to Europe...

I'll pm Blue and see what can be done :D

ctm, still need an ansi plate?

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #684 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 12:09:39 »

Pm'd  :thumb:

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #685 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 13:12:59 »

Is there any left? Which layout in specific? AT101, AT101W, or AEKII ANSI?
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 13:40:52 by ctm »
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #686 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 15:29:03 »

I can transfer my AT101W plate with a non-stepped caps lock. I can send you a pm when I hear back from Applet.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #687 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:31:47 »

I can transfer my AT101W plate with a non-stepped caps lock. I can send you a pm when I hear back from Applet.
Great. I would like to get this plate if it becomes available.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #688 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:03:49 »
Great. I would like to get this plate if it becomes available.

Pm'd

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #689 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:02:50 »
Did anyone end up getting the stepped capslock plate, by the way?

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #690 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 11:03:11 »
If anyone has a spare PCB and plate (AT101W or HHKB), I'll buy it off of you when you receive it :thumb:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #691 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:16:56 »
Well, time to think about cases. What's everyone getting? I'm out of money, so I'm buying plastic cases from Ali Express, but I've been thinking about getting some custom wood cases made by Ianis once I'm flush again.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #692 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 07:12:59 »
Mine is going in a Tex acrylic case.

Well, time to think about cases. What's everyone getting? I'm out of money, so I'm buying plastic cases from Ali Express, but I've been thinking about getting some custom wood cases made by Ianis once I'm flush again.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #693 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:30:42 »

Since the GH60s still haven't shipped here in the US, I have plenty of 60% alu cases for my Alps 60% projects.

Hammer...  treble318... imsto... TEX... MKC... Pure CNC... Vortex...

Some of them I have multiples of. I have too many 60% cases. :P

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #694 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:31:50 »

Since the GH60s still haven't shipped here in the US, I have plenty of 60% alu cases for my Alps 60% projects.

Hammer...  treble318... imsto... TEX... Pure CNC... Vortex...

Some of them I have multiples of. I have too many 60% cases. :P

Slide a Hammer this way. That case is gorgeous; it got me like  :-*   :-*   :-*

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #695 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:09:39 »
I'm using a Tex acrylic & a wooden Royal Glam. I'm thinking blue alps (if I can find some) + Alpine Winter with the Tex, orange alps + Tai Hao Dolch with the Royal Glam.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #696 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:31:48 »
I'm already short on 60% cases. I've looked into a couple of ideas for making my own out of aluminum, but they never took off.

Eventually I'm going to make a wooden one.

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #697 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:33:16 »
I'm already short on 60% cases. I've looked into a couple of ideas for making my own out of aluminum, but they never took off.

Eventually I'm going to make a wooden one.

inanis makes wooden cases @ SEALwoodworking.com :)

in memoriam

Offline SJHL

« Reply #698 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:38:53 »
I have Tex Aluminum case and Tactile Brown Alps ready for it. Planning to build it as soon as I get my HHKB plate and Alpine Winter Keycaps!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #699 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:58:45 »
I'm going to do a first test making wood cases on a cnc this week, may sell some, but will definitely share the results.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /