Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 301312 times)

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #1350 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 15:22:19 »
Anyone happen to have a plate + PCB they are willing to sell? I'm looking for HHKB, or AT101 style plates. Let me know if you are interested in selling.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1351 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 18:03:06 »
So here is my first build from this GB.  A slapped it together in under an hour in early December.  I call it my "Oh **** I'm About To Travel Out Of The US With Only A Tablet" board.

The keys aren't all correct.  The majority of the caps were sourced from my AT101W at work (which I recently put Dolch on).  The Caps Lock is from the Dolch set since it was the only center stem Alps cap I had.  Not pictured is the underside of the space bar.  I put the soldering iron to the pegs on the bottom of the AT101W space bar so it would fit on the plate without drilling into the metal.  Quick and dirty.

This is the underside.  I needed this to pack light because I wasn't checking any baggage on my flight.  The "case" is carbon fiber vinyl wrap stuck directly to the PCB.  I leaned it on my space heater to shrink the vinyl since I don't actually own a hairdryer.  There is a tiny hole cut for the LED and RESET button.  The board is supported by rubber pegs I cannibalized from a practice amp attached with gorilla glue.  You can see the glue that oozed out the sides and the center of the rubber parts. 

And that is my super ghetto Alps Party board.  This build was disassembled on Dec. 24th 2015 for an upgrade to something more palatable.  I just wanted to show off the 'before' version since I was proud of my 1 hour board assembled before getting on the plane.  It helped me actually get some writing accomplished while I was away.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1352 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 00:24:27 »
What I can't get my head around is where to make the bends. Say you have a 6 unit space bar. How long is the wire and how far from each end should the bends be? Is there something I am missing? If I eyeball it, how much margin for error is there? I have the bending tool, and it is pretty easy to use, but I am just worried about wasting the wire. Can anyone offer some specific pointers?

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #1353 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 01:39:46 »
What I can't get my head around is where to make the bends. Say you have a 6 unit space bar. How long is the wire and how far from each end should the bends be? Is there something I am missing? If I eyeball it, how much margin for error is there? I have the bending tool, and it is pretty easy to use, but I am just worried about wasting the wire. Can anyone offer some specific pointers?
I don't have the numbers, but presumably you have the keycap and inserts in the plate already - those are your only restrictions. The ALPS style stabs have the advantage that they don't require bends at precise places (like the cherry ones). You can see it here. The only constraints you need to satisfy is that the long part is long enough to clip into the inserts and move freely, the total width is less than the width of the keycap and that the short "back-bends" are long enough to reach the inserts in the keycap.

Offline db268

« Reply #1354 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 04:47:14 »
Does anyone happen to have a PCB from this GB that they want to sell?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1355 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 04:56:07 »
I would get those measurements from someone who has the original set... You know, like me! Unfortunately my set is in storage, but I'm sure someone else has one available...?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1356 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 05:56:53 »
sorry to ask this but does anyone know the best way to create a 6u stabiliser wire or where I can buy one?

edit: changed 7u to 6u
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:37:38 by swimmingbird »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1357 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 06:12:48 »
sorry to ask this but does anyone know the best way to create a 7u stabiliser wire or where I can buy one?
matias bro?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1358 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:37:17 »
sorry to ask this but does anyone know the best way to create a 7u stabiliser wire or where I can buy one?
matias bro?

sorry meant 6u for hhkb style

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1359 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:00:08 »
Once I get my Alpine Winter set I will have a go at making some. If they work out OK I may be able to....hehe 'hook' you up. No promises as I am noob. Postage shouldn't be too much should it?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:01:45 by stoic-lemon »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1360 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:04:51 »
Tip: Package them in that thick cardboard used for boxes, with the wavy pattern on the inside. That way it can bend as much as it wants in one direction, but not the other.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1361 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:27:06 »
Once I get my Alpine Winter set I will have a go at making some. If they work out OK I may be able to....hehe 'hook' you up. No promises as I am noob. Postage shouldn't be too much should it?

I'll try making them with the stab set I have - hopefully they'll fit without much modification....

tbh I haven't even looked at all the stuff from this GB yet apart from playing with my quiet clicks

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1362 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 11:22:05 »
So here is my first build from this GB.  A slapped it together in under an hour in early December.  I call it my "Oh **** I'm About To Travel Out Of The US With Only A Tablet" board.

Show Image

The keys aren't all correct.  The majority of the caps were sourced from my AT101W at work (which I recently put Dolch on).  The Caps Lock is from the Dolch set since it was the only center stem Alps cap I had.  Not pictured is the underside of the space bar.  I put the soldering iron to the pegs on the bottom of the AT101W space bar so it would fit on the plate without drilling into the metal.  Quick and dirty.

Show Image

This is the underside.  I needed this to pack light because I wasn't checking any baggage on my flight.  The "case" is carbon fiber vinyl wrap stuck directly to the PCB.  I leaned it on my space heater to shrink the vinyl since I don't actually own a hairdryer.  There is a tiny hole cut for the LED and RESET button.  The board is supported by rubber pegs I cannibalized from a practice amp attached with gorilla glue.  You can see the glue that oozed out the sides and the center of the rubber parts. 

And that is my super ghetto Alps Party board.  This build was disassembled on Dec. 24th 2015 for an upgrade to something more palatable.  I just wanted to show off the 'before' version since I was proud of my 1 hour board assembled before getting on the plane.  It helped me actually get some writing accomplished while I was away.

I love this.  That board has got character.

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #1363 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 04:19:13 »
check2mine2out2guys!

album here
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 04:31:17 by i0nC4nn0n »
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #1364 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 05:28:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Hello, any info on round 2 and by any chance a Tkl iso version ?

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1365 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 23:42:07 »
check2mine2out2guys!

Show Image

album here

Haha that's awesome. What caps are you planning on using?

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #1366 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 02:42:49 »
Hello,

I got asked about SMD diodes in private, thought it might interest other folks as well, so here it goes:
I used 1N4148 diodes in 0805 packaging. You can go for 1N4448 diodes as well, as they are higher quality (they have  a lower reverse leakage current). Hasu states that the footprint is SOD123 (3.68 × 1.17 × 1.60 mm). Meaning you can use the following packages:
0805 (2.0 mm × 1.25 mm),
1008 (2.5 mm × 2.0 mm),
1206 (3.2 mm × 1.6 mm),
SOD-123 (naturally)
SOD-323 (1.7 × 1.25 × 0.95 mm) - i see no reason why u couldn't mount it, but it is a bit smaller than the 0805 that i used
Another thing that i would point out is that you don't need to use SMD diodes for every switch, if your only concern is compatibility with the case. The 17 diodes that MUST be SMD are the following, the rest can be the through hole ones that hasu provided:
D00, D10, D20, D22, D23, D24, D25, D26, D27, D30, D31, D36, D55, D63, D65, D70, D73
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #1367 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 02:49:37 »
check2mine2out2guys!

Show Image

album here

Haha that's awesome. What caps are you planning on using?

The Alpine Winter ones ofc, but i'm really debating if i should cut down the stabilizer thingies from the Dell space till they arrive...
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1368 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 12:00:36 »
More
Hello,

I got asked about SMD diodes in private, thought it might interest other folks as well, so here it goes:
I used 1N4148 diodes in 0805 packaging. You can go for 1N4448 diodes as well, as they are higher quality (they have  a lower reverse leakage current). Hasu states that the footprint is SOD123 (3.68 × 1.17 × 1.60 mm). Meaning you can use the following packages:
0805 (2.0 mm × 1.25 mm),
1008 (2.5 mm × 2.0 mm),
1206 (3.2 mm × 1.6 mm),
SOD-123 (naturally)
SOD-323 (1.7 × 1.25 × 0.95 mm) - i see no reason why u couldn't mount it, but it is a bit smaller than the 0805 that i used
Another thing that i would point out is that you don't need to use SMD diodes for every switch, if your only concern is compatibility with the case. The 17 diodes that MUST be SMD are the following, the rest can be the through hole ones that hasu provided:
D00, D10, D20, D22, D23, D24, D25, D26, D27, D30, D31, D36, D55, D63, D65, D70, D73

Good info.  You should post it in the thread for hasu's PCB as well.

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #1369 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:28:59 »
Wish I had bought more HHKB plates, these plates are incredible.

I'm a jerk so i didn't take a photo, i'll try to post one later this week.

Thanks BlueNalgene for an incredible GB
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline axtran

« Reply #1370 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 12:12:39 »
Hello,

0805 (2.0 mm × 1.25 mm),
1008 (2.5 mm × 2.0 mm),
1206 (3.2 mm × 1.6 mm),
SOD-123 (naturally)

I'm building mine with SOD-80 LL4148 diodes, as I think that they are the prettiest :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline skaloola

« Reply #1371 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:34:29 »
I just ordered the Matias stabilizer (or hooks as they call them).  These are basically costar style stabs right?

Do cherry style stabs exist for Alps?  It's interesting that the Spacebars i got from the alpine winter GB have the cherry style crucifix mount for the stabilizers holes.

Would this 6u wire work http://i.imgur.com/BIWgv9Z.jpg with the Matias stabs I ordered?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1372 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:40:11 »
I just ordered the Matias stabilizer (or hooks as they call them).  These are basically costar style stabs right?

Do cherry style stabs exist for Alps?  It's interesting that the Spacebars i got from the alpine winter GB have the cherry style crucifix mount for the stabilizers holes.

Would this 6u wire work http://i.imgur.com/BIWgv9Z.jpg with the Matias stabs I ordered?

no, alps wires need to bend back another time.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline axtran

« Reply #1373 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:08:37 »

Like Costar, the ALPS stabilizer wires (both in classic boards that I've dismantled as well as Matias boards) is a much thinner wire diameter than Cherry stabilizer wire.

If the Alpine Winter spacebar comes with the Cherry style mounts, you will still have some issues because you have no way to mount that PCB or Plate stabilizer if you're using a proper ALPS party plate. :)

Offline skaloola

« Reply #1374 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:18:13 »

Like Costar, the ALPS stabilizer wires (both in classic boards that I've dismantled as well as Matias boards) is a much thinner wire diameter than Cherry stabilizer wire.

If the Alpine Winter spacebar comes with the Cherry style mounts, you will still have some issues because you have no way to mount that PCB or Plate stabilizer if you're using a proper ALPS party plate. :)
Wait I'm confused.

So the alpine winter spacebars won't work with alps party?  Even if I mod the spacebar wire from my Matias stab set?

Also since it looks like alpine winter caps has crucifix mount for stabs.. would it be possible to use cherry style stabilizers on my build?  Even if it's just for the spacebar.  Would plate or pcb mount cherry stabs work somehow?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions.  I just hate costar style stabs.

Offline axtran

« Reply #1375 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:41:05 »

Wait I'm confused.

So the alpine winter spacebars won't work with alps party?  Even if I mod the spacebar wire from my Matias stab set?

Also since it looks like alpine winter caps has crucifix mount for stabs.. would it be possible to use cherry style stabilizers on my build?  Even if it's just for the spacebar.  Would plate or pcb mount cherry stabs work somehow?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions.  I just hate costar style stabs.

Matias stabilizer is different than Cherry. If you look at your plate, you can confirm yourself whether or not Cherry Plate Mount stabilizers would work on it. It should only have small rectangles--which are made for Matias/ALPS stabilizers.

Offline phoible

« Reply #1376 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 01:43:50 »
Has anyone managed to cut down an AEKII plate? I have an ALPS64 PCB on the way, and I'm thinking about trying to salvage everything from an AEKII.

Any tips?

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #1377 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 03:17:46 »
I believe Hasu himself did that for his first Alps64 build. Should be no problem at all. Just measure and mark properly before cutting and wear eye protection if you choose to use a dremel or equivalent tool instead of the tedious hand saw option. I've dremel cut a couple of Apple boards myself. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1378 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 03:39:47 »
Has anyone managed to cut down an AEKII plate? I have an ALPS64 PCB on the way, and I'm thinking about trying to salvage everything from an AEKII.

Any tips?

I have cut a plate for axtran out of a 60% plate. It works just fine! Just make sure you get the dimensions right so it'll fit in the case.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1379 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:36:44 »
The Matias stabilizer sets have bits for both the original alps style caps and the ones like SP uses (e.g. on Alpine Winter) with cruciform stabilizer connectors.  The clips will be compatible.  The problem with the Matias sets is that the wires are not of the correct shape.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1380 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:31:34 »
Does anyone have a spare plate that they are willing to part with?
I dont know where to look for a plate :[

Offline axtran

« Reply #1381 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 11:24:42 »
Does anyone have a spare plate that they are willing to part with?
I dont know where to look for a plate :[

I think LeandreN was planning on some ALPS plates soon, I'd check with him. Else, you can always take an ALPS board and cut it down to size if you have a template or the measurements of a 60% plate.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1382 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:06:01 »
Salmon Alps are amazing btw

Offline crazystu

« Reply #1383 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:36:01 »
Finally got around to finishing off my build from this GB :)
All working well, just need to program it now. Using Tai-Hao Dolch, and a stock Poker II white case.
Had a bit of an issue with one switch, but was easy to fix by opening from the top and bending the contacts slightly.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1384 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 00:17:39 »
Currently in talks with jdcarpe with producing some of his alps plates featured in this group buy, will do an IC once stuff has been formalized.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1385 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 06:01:25 »
The plates were great, but running a complete GB for just those seems a little halfhearted... If you wait a couple months and redo the entire GB (with permission from Blue) I might be interested though...

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1386 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 08:48:57 »
All working well, just need to program it now. Using Tai-Hao Dolch, and a stock Poker II white case.
Had a bit of an issue with one switch, but was easy to fix by opening from the top and bending the contacts slightly.

Great looking build @crazystu! Would you mind adding a little detail about repairing the your switch? I've got a non working switch apart right now and I can't really tell if it needs to be bent (or which way) or re-soldered, or just scrapped altogether. Really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #1387 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 14:29:02 »

Currently in talks with jdcarpe with producing some of his alps plates featured in this group buy, will do an IC once stuff has been formalized.

Yiss Yiss Yiss! I need a HHKB plate in my life, and the files don't seem to be available anywhere. ☹️
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1388 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 14:40:47 »

Looks like mine so far, minus my bottlecap.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:25:27 by Deductivemonkee »

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #1389 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:30:46 »
i am looking for 120 saimon Pink alps sw. Anyone have it?
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #1390 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:11:13 »
Keep forgetting to bring the board home and take some glamour shots, but here's a shot in its current setup at work:

127664-0

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1391 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:56:22 »
Keep forgetting to bring the board home and take some glamour shots, but here's a shot in its current setup at work:

(Attachment Link)
Beautiful board
I'll wait for another round of this GB hehe

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1392 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:25:36 »

(Attachment Link)

@kennardsmith That's a great looking build. Love the HHKB layout. Did you make the wood case or buy it?

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #1393 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:27:42 »

(Attachment Link)

@kennardsmith That's a great looking build. Love the HHKB layout. Did you make the wood case or buy it?

Thank you!

The case is a "black walnut" Royal Glam case i got on massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/royal-glam-60-wood-keyboard-case) — really enjoy the feel of the steel plate against the wood.

I got my alpine winter in so I *could* actually have a bottom row with the correct size of space/mods, but the command keys are labeled "alt" so I'll have to settle for this hhkb approximation ;_;

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1394 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 13:35:56 »
Someone asked me for an update on things happening on my end.  This buy still isn't done because there is still one long-suffering member who has not received his package (thanks to the fine people at USPS and my own failures).  I was planning on doing my 'big reveal' on Valentine's Day, but I didn't get around to it. 

Instead, in the interest of accountability and transparency, I am going to release my kept books to you.  This way, you know where your money went during the sale.  I think it is important to be upfront with this data to ensure that there is always trust between the GB organizers and participants.  This is especially true for those of us who claim a non-profit intent.  Without further ado, here is a quick summary of the costs:

Invoice Income
$10922.60
Paypal Fees
-$407.64
Expenditures
-$10292.30
Refunds
-$211.99
Est. Stock
$112.90
TOTAL
$123.62

So currently I have made a profit of $123.62 in money and unsold stock.  I've attached a spreadsheet with the detailed entries and calculations which has been scrubbed of personal data of the participants.  Since there is still an outstanding order which may be refunded, that figure may go down by about $97.  I still have some hope that the package exists though, so I haven't written it off completely.

As you know, I promised to donate any profit from the sale to the keyboarding websites.  Donation distribution will be determined based on which website the participants claimed to hail from in their original order.  As such, the distribution will be 8% of the funds to Deskthority, 72% of the funds to Geekhack, and 20% of the funds to /r/mk.  Donations to DT and GH will go toward paying hosting costs for the individual sites, and the donation to /r/mk will be an open contest for switches, per the recommendation of /u/ripster55.  Since there is still an outstanding order which may result in a change in my revenue, I will be holding off on making the donations until that is decided.  I will post here notification when the donations are made.

I also kept a simple log of how much time I spent making this a possibility.  This is very rough, accuracy of each data point is on the close scale of an hour.  Accounting for my time I spent on this project:

Photoshop: 3 hours
2D CAD: 2 hours
3D CAD: 2 hours
Placing Orders: 3 hours
Driving/Transit: 7 hours
Excel/Word: 17 hours
Sorting/Shipping: 32 hours
Support: 9 hours

Total: 75 hours

This number doesn't include lost sleep while I was worrying about getting everything right.  At my current salary, assuming I only work 40 hour weeks (lol), I would expect to have made $863 from that.

Now that I have everyone thinking I'm insane, I'll let that stew for a bit.  My next update post will be my 'big reveal', and I can show off my reason for going through all of this for no profit.  Hint: madness is only part of the answer!

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1395 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:45:21 »
Despite all the problems and complications you have always had terrific communication and great customer care. I wish all GB holders were like you Blue, I'm sure I'll join some other GB you hold :thumb:

Can't wait to find out what surprise you have for us!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1396 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:18:01 »
this big reveal better be something along the lines of you implanted an Alps keyboard into arm.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1397 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:38:40 »
Yes I can't wait for this one!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1398 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:51:29 »
Despite all the problems and complications you have always had terrific communication and great customer care. I wish all GB holders were like you Blue, I'm sure I'll join some other GB you hold :thumb:

Can't wait to find out what surprise you have for us!

Don't be giving him ideas to hold more GBs.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1399 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 18:40:48 »
this big reveal better be something along the lines of you implanted an Alps keyboard into arm.

You have no idea how much I actually want to do this.  I would totally get into wet mods if I could afford it.