Author Topic: Stars? We have stars?  (Read 416709 times)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Stars? We have stars?
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:15:01 »
I want a star :(

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:17:22 »
Someone came up with the title names--I'm not sure how they decided on them.  May have been samwisekoi himself.  They are a little quirky, indeed, but the idea is just to have fun customization options.  I don't know why this needs to be taken the wrong way.  It's just a fun way to celebrate some milestones.  Of course they don't truly mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but those who frequent the site and customize their profile just so might appreciate an extra star.  As evidence, some people request for stars to be added to their profile.  It's purely optional, and no one makes them do it.

Snoopy, which color star would you like?  Pink or cyan?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:20:59 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a hater or anything. It's just the use of the word 'Elder' bothers me as fan of diction.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:25:08 »
Someone came up with the title names--I'm not sure how they decided on them.  May have been samwisekoi himself.  They are a little quirky, indeed, but the idea is just to have fun customization options.  I don't know why this needs to be taken the wrong way.  It's just a fun way to celebrate some milestones.  Of course they don't truly mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but those who frequent the site and customize their profile just so might appreciate an extra star.  As evidence, some people request for stars to be added to their profile.  It's purely optional, and no one makes them do it.

Snoopy, which color star would you like?  Pink or cyan?

I do love customization! It's fun :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:27:04 »
Do you have alternative names to suggest?  I'm pretty sure that the whole idea of "exquisite elder" is already lacking any amount of serious intent, so I wouldn't take it literally.  Unless you want to  ;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 15:36:23 »
Do you have alternative names to suggest?  I'm pretty sure that the whole idea of "exquisite elder" is already lacking any amount of serious intent, so I wouldn't take it literally.  Unless you want to  ;D

At first I only wanted the star for the customization and looks but not the elder title since I wasn't here as long as others. But with as much reading here and posting as I've done I could amount the time to elder status. Going on all day for a few months is just as good as going on a few times a day for a year. :) So I'd be fine with Exquisite Member or something but Elder is awesome too. Either way. :p haha

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 23:34:58 »
Lovin' the cyan.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 21:01:59 »
I don't know who to PM, but I want a pink star.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 21:03:06 »
Done :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 21:10:06 »
IT IS WONDERFUL

Thank you, friend!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 22:14:13 »
IT IS WONDERFUL

Thank you, friend!

Looking good :)

If anyone wants a star, please contact someone with an "Administrator" or "Moderator Supreme" forum title specifically.  It's not as simple as adding an icon to the title and needs higher ranked permissions that moderators have. 

The OP says "So if you earn and want a star, please PM an Admin." - if this is no longer strictly the case can the OP be updated?  I usually just tell people to PM an admin if they want a star, as well as directing them to this thread.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #311 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 22:16:21 »
No it's still the case to be accurate.  Many people just don't notice that part.  It's safest to pm someone's with an actual 'admin' title.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 January 2014, 22:18:40 by Photoelectric »

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:47:27 »
Can there be stars for old members in term of IRL age ? :p

Stars is a nice concept.

In Geekhack there is the word "hack" ~ "hacker" ~ "pirate" : bones would have been funny too, no ? Skull for admins, single bone, cross bones... etc LOL

Another good one would be to put small flags = member localization, IMO this is very usefull as it allows to quickly spot members whith whom we are not too far and can easily share stuff or sell items with same keyboards layouts and low shipping fees. No ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:51:22 by kilogeek »
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:51:02 »
Your location field should indicate your actual location, technically.  I can see you are from France at a glance without a French flag next to your name :)  Shipping fees don't vary significantly within the U.S., despite its size.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:51:59 »
How about star(s) for length of membership  ;D

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:57:30 »
Your location field should indicate your actual location, technically.  I can see you are from France at a glance without a French flag next to your name :)  Shipping fees don't vary significantly within the U.S., despite its size.

Yeah I know^^ but for old guys like me who need thick googles to read, flags are cute :p

About shipping, you are very lucky, same for % of available QWERTY keyboards...  If I want to buy a keyboard from U.S.A. it's gonna cost me more in shipping and taxes  :mad:  That's why I don't even surf on US e-bay site.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:01:33 »
Yeah :(  I believe Deskthority.net has more European users on average, which would be helpful for you in terms of browsing classifieds and finding something more local. 

Many people don't put accurate information into their "location" field, so I can see people tampering with their flags just as well.  Unless we base that off IP addresses during registration, but I don't think we have anyone with free time to program anything like that.  Already a pile of stuff to do for the forum in terms of more vital upgrades.

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #317 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:30:03 »
I'm currently unemployed, engineer with multi-domain software exp (more than 10 years, mainly industrial software/hardware/systems), webdesign skills (php, css, illustration, server admin, etc...) if you need any help for some tasks I'm your man^^ A bit lazy for tasks I hate, not for the ones I love :p

I'm even in contact with Cherry company for 2 pending patents dealing with high-end keyboard switches (a double click system and a magneto-mechanic system producing interty simulation... no, that's not trolling  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:34:07 by kilogeek »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:38:55 »
please pm me

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #319 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:47:08 »
I'm even in contact with Cherry company for 2 pending patents dealing with high-end keyboard switches (a double click system and a magneto-mechanic system producing interty simulation... no, that's not trolling  :cool:

whoa, if you're for real, that's super legit.

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #320 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:52:15 »
And not only trying to patent switches, but french companies suck, they are unable to manage innovation, they say they do but when they innovate, other countries make profits with their ideas, not us... here, sky is not the limit, top of our skull is the limit LOL, in a company, if you want no trouble, work as less as possible, if you show too much proactivity, they see you as a dangerous element... idiots.

This will never be produced in France although such an air or air/liquid cooling system would be 2 or 3 times more efficient than all what is currently on the market (and applications are not only for electronic cooling systems), just an example :

52979-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:01:19 by kilogeek »

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:58:06 »

whoa, if you're for real, that's super legit.

That's for real, but nothing is done yet, hopefully Cherry is not the only company designing such products.

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:23:30 »
Was even working on a personnal project needing a skilled chemical engineer to find the perfect liquid, protecting hardware components from dust, water, rust, optimized for great heat convexion dissipation, so that future computer "cases" would just be made of a plastic carter filled with such liquid, 100% silent, 100% tough for embeded systems... etc.  Had a meeting with an engineering company leader on Toulon, he was enthusiast but 0% reliable, i have several projects like this one in my freezer, I'll probably be dead before they can come to life  :(   

That makes me think about the USSR trinary logic computer project that has been terminated although it was definitely the best hardware and logical option for computers (performances, reliability, blur logic, better electronic toughness...). Such trinary computers nowdays would be 10 to 50 times more powerfull in terms of memory capacity, MIPS, bandwidths and power consumption. Waste of talents caused by stupid technocraty.

This has nothing to do with keyboards^^ but I'm passionated by fundamental research/metaphysics and it seems to me so stupid that boolean won the race... for example, binary (0,1) coding for negative integers is so weird and unefficient, in trinary (-,0,+) it is so logical and efficient :

http://www.computer-museum.ru/english/setun.htm

http://tunguska.sourceforge.net/

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:45:41 by kilogeek »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #323 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:28:23 »
Woo! Only 985 posts to go!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Comment

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:32:59 »
Woo! Only 985 posts to go!
And not even all of them count!
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:20:03 »
I'm currently unemployed, engineer with multi-domain software exp (more than 10 years, mainly industrial software/hardware/systems), webdesign skills (php, css, illustration, server admin, etc...) if you need any help for some tasks I'm your man^^ A bit lazy for tasks I hate, not for the ones I love :p

Awesome to see another developer here!  :thumb:

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:05:24 »
2K silver please ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:51:45 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 22:15:53 »
may I have a purple star? PRETTY PLEASEEEEEE?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 22:17:45 »

Do you mean pink?  Purple star is a Moderator rank star.  I can do pink for you though :)  (or cyan)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 22:20:23 »
I only want a star if it can say Dabbler Supreme next to it.  And I kind of want it to be a cookie instead of a star.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 22:30:33 »

Congrats Belfong!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #332 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:30:22 »
Thanks Photo!
Cyan is fine :)
Yay me!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #333 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:10:35 »
Thanks Photo!
Yay me!

Very fetching - congratulations :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #334 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:17:39 »
Thanks Photo!
Yay me!

Someone get this man a rowdy yellow  10k star!  :eek:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #335 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:18:04 »
Haha, mine now says Dabbler Supreme.  No cookie though.  It's ok.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #336 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 01:18:50 »
Congrats!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #337 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:46:43 »
I'd like a title that says "Professional" gamer

I don't even need a star, I just want a silly title

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 18:02:35 »
Haha, mine now says Dabbler Supreme.  No cookie though.  It's ok.

Hmmm.  You should have a green vendor star.

Perhaps with MDPC-sleeved arms.

Thanks Photo!
Yay me!

10K stars  are on my to-do list.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 18:11:18 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Please do not rush on my account - I have no immediate desire for a star.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #340 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 18:24:35 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Please do not rush on my account - I have no immediate desire for a star.

But please rush on the cookies.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #341 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:27:15 »
I wanna clear star :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:58:26 »
I wanna clear star :(

Do you mean like invisible?

Looks like you might already have one ;)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #343 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:03:43 »
A true ghost star :)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #344 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 22:09:09 »
I'd use a small pixel brobot, but alas.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:46:13 »
Can I have my star  back please since I'm not a vendor
I love Elzy

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 13:50:04 »
Sam, are you able to put a (MX) blue one on my profile? :D

EDIT: That iPad spelling.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:12:57 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 00:08:19 »
Snm, are you able to put a (MX) blue one on my profile? :D

Do you mean actual blue?  If so, not at this time. Cyan is available however, which looks close to MX Blue.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 April 2014, 00:10:25 by Photoelectric »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:11:12 »
Sam, are you able to put a (MX) blue one on my profile? :D

Do you mean actual blue?  If so, not at this time. Cyan is available however, which looks close to MX Blue.

Cyan would be excellent, if possible. Stars too cool.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:13:36 »
Snm, are you able to put a (MX) blue one on my profile? :D

Cyan would be excellent, if possible. Stars too cool.