Author Topic: Prototyping: Custom extended numpad (31 key)  (Read 180474 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Prototyping: Custom extended numpad (31 key)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:58:43 »
Would totally buy one of these

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:12:49 »
By the way, am I going to have to purchase diodes, LEDs, a controller of some sort, etc?

Switches and case are given, and based on the price, I'd assume I'd have to buy everything. However, with that MX Clear deal on Mechanicalkeyboards.com, switches shouldn't be that big of a deal.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:12:02 »
They will have all the SMD done.  Just need to add switches, LEDs, and stabs.  If you want I can provide LEDs since I'm going to be making a big Digikey order anyway.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:23:12 »
Okay, I'd take one, possibly two, knowing I'd wreck the first one somehow.

/afk to desolder old Rosewill board for blue switches.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:50:49 »
They will have all the SMD done.  Just need to add switches, LEDs, and stabs.  If you want I can provide LEDs since I'm going to be making a big Digikey order anyway.

Thank god the SMD'll be done.

Really, my only concern with LEDs is the resistance required, since I'm no electrical engineer. I can probably do LEDs myself, though.

I might as well chalk myself up for 2, for the same reasons as Hak Foo.

/afk to scrounge for $20
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:45:07 »
Okay so before I finalize this board, what is the best placement of the LED for the 2x vertical keys?

Looks like the Ducky Shine puts the LEDs on the left.  That's what I did in the current design.  Any other opinions?

Here are better examples...

Option A, LEDs are sideways.  This follows KPAD, Deck Legend, Ducky Shine, and GHpad

Option B, LEDs are always down.  This follows a korean pad and CODE keyboard.

Right now I'm going to go with A, except I think I'm going to change that one LED on the right to be on the left like the rest of them.  Welcoming input.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 15:04:48 »
Really, because of the way the keycaps would be designed, I think it makes more sense to have option A, considering the keypad stems are likely to be designed for sideways switches.
More

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 17:10:24 »
Okay looks like estimate for the parts was fairly close.  For a low run like this, cost would be about $22 per PCB.  That includes free soldering by me and with me paying almost all of the tooling cost.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 17:41:36 »
Okay looks like estimate for the parts was fairly close.  For a low run like this, cost would be about $22 per PCB.  That includes free soldering by me and with me paying almost all of the tooling cost.

$22 for just the PCB and your soldering the SMD?

I'll still do at least one, hopefully 2 if I can find the money.
More

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:05:54 »

$22 for just the PCB and your soldering the SMD?

I'll still do at least one, hopefully 2 if I can find the money.

Yeah.  That's locking the bare PCB at $10.  The ATmega chip is $6.04 from digikey by itself.  The diodes are 2 bucks a board, and the USB connectors a buck.  The rest of the diodes, resistors, capacitors, and transistors add up to a few more bucks.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 00:06:28 »
Just round up to $25 or something. Round numbers are easier to remember good craftsmanship is worth money anyway. Actually from the sounds of it, $30 wouldn't be out of bounds. Would still be interested though unfortunately not for a few months. Hafta catch up from arranging to start on a 60% ... which will, of course, need a ten-key to compliment it :)

EDIT: now, wait a sec. I've got a 32u4 being shipped to me that's on a leonardo breakout board (2 holes few, possibly a few more, than a teensy 2 has) that I bought from some ebay store for $5.82 shipped. Why would the chip that does the work be more expensive than a breakout board that happens to use said chip?
signed, confused forumite
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 00:23:26 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 00:15:07 »
Still, for $30 for everything except the switches, I would totally buy this.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 00:37:45 »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:48:40 »
Math helps :P

Show Image

25 sets + 375 extra diodes yet $8 less

So since each set has 25 diodes, 25 sets have 625 diodes, costing $21.24.

Thus total for 25 sets including $5.23 shipping is: $183.48

Hence each set is ~$7.5.

We have 25 sets, 1 for everyone (Total 8 ) except me (4) and jdcarpe (11), that means we have 2 sets extra, raccoon you can keep them as I know you will be working on more customs, or if someone wants to buy, they can do that, since you are ordering raccoon, that is up to you, and if someone wants more, we can increase the order and maybe hit new tiers.

Also, update on the switched. I will be packaging them as 25 switches, just in case any comes out faulty or is damaged in transit. This pack would be for $9.

Costs thus far:
$6 - PCB
$13 - case
$7.5 - parts
$5 - shipping
$9 - switches
Resistors and LEDs extra.

Many similar parts.  However, not entirely the same.  I will order enough ATmegas to get to the price break and save a few bucks.  The main problem is that I'm only going to be ordering a few of these.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:58:02 »
Okay it's looking like this.  I'm going to order in a few days.  Then it will be a few weeks to get the boards in from China.
metalliqaz - 2
bearcat - 1
jdcarpe - 1
MOZ - 1
HakFoo - 1
inteli722 - 1
nubbinator - 1
Pacifist - 1
TheFlyingRacoon - 1
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2013, 14:01:52 by metalliqaz »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 09:29:34 »
I'm definitely in.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:16:10 »
As am I, definitely in for 2.
More

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:28:24 »
Okay it's looking like this.  I'm going to order in a few days.  Then it will be a few weeks to get the boards in from China.
metalliqaz - 2
bearcat - 1
jdcarpe - 1
MOZ - 1
HakFoo - 1
inteli722 - 1
nubbinator - 1
Pacifist - 1

F*ck Yes, dam this is sweet, and the perfect alternative to the razer orbweaver

Offline inteli722

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:29:29 »
metalliqaz - 2
bearcat - 1
jdcarpe - 1
MOZ - 1
HakFoo - 1
inteli722 - 1
nubbinator - 1
Pacifist - 1

F*ck Yes, dam this is sweet, and the perfect alternative to the razer orbweaver

Indeed it is. It is also what I would consider the perfect Numberpad.
More

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:06:55 »
So this is my first time making a board, and the first time having one in beta.

What extra do I need to do to make this board? I'm going to assume switches and a soldering kit at the very least. Are you supplying LEDs or no? Is there anything else I need to make it?

Also, If this is successful, then for other versions, will there be changes to the design or no?

This is really promising, and fits my needs so much :) But because its my first DIY board, I don't want to screw up

Offline inteli722

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:37:15 »

What extra do I need to do to make this board? I'm going to assume switches and a soldering kit at the very least. Are you supplying LEDs or no? Is there anything else I need to make it?

Also, If this is successful, then for other versions, will there be changes to the design or no?

This is really promising, and fits my needs so much :) But because its my first DIY board, I don't want to screw up

Switches, LEDs, caps, and a case (and yes, Soldering iron and solder)

Technically, LEDs AREN'T required...

Considering the outcome of Epsilon (his first project), this seems like it'll be a one-time thing.
More

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 19:11:40 »

You need switches, stabilizers, LEDs, and keycaps.  You need to do a bunch of through-hole soldering.  Also you need a case.  Don't forget about that.

If you want me to order you some LEDs, tell me now, because I can order it with the rest of the parts.

If it works correctly, this will be the last order.  I don't have the energy for a real GB and honestly I think most people would rather get a GHpad.  If enough people wanted, though, I would give someone the designs and let them do a buy.

Don't worry about screwing up.  These are replaceable.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 19:21:01 »

You need switches, stabilizers, LEDs, and keycaps.  You need to do a bunch of through-hole soldering.  Also you need a case.  Don't forget about that.

If you want me to order you some LEDs, tell me now, because I can order it with the rest of the parts.

If it works correctly, this will be the last order.  I don't have the energy for a real GB and honestly I think most people would rather get a GHpad.  If enough people wanted, though, I would give someone the designs and let them do a buy.

Cool, will send you a PM.Need to buy some more novelty caps from you too.

Where do I get the case? Are you making them or someone else?

Also, is this PCB or plate mounted? If its plate mounted, did you design the PCB to have PCB mounted holes and having the plate more open so we can use PCB mounted switches and change around the switches without desoldering?

Thanks, this is a much needed addition to my mech collection!

Offline inteli722

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 19:40:09 »

Also, is this PCB or plate mounted? If its plate mounted, did you design the PCB to have PCB mounted holes and having the plate more open so we can use PCB mounted switches and change around the switches without desoldering?

AFAIK MOZ has a case design for this, and he told me it'd be about $20/case.

metalliqaz explains it best:
It is a 31 key pad with full backlighting and can use Cherry MX plate mount or PCB mount switches/stabilizers.  I will provide software but it could also use TMK if you wish.

Really, the openess of the plate is up to the designer. I wonder how much Photekq's case would be...
More

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 19:58:45 »

It is a 31 key pad with full backlighting and can use Cherry MX plate mount or PCB mount switches/stabilizers.  I will provide software but it could also use TMK if you wish.

Really, the openess of the plate is up to the designer. I wonder how much Photekq's case would be...

Ah I see. Thanks. Probally will go caseless to start, and then get a proper case once I get everything I need.

There are 31 switches, and I want to try out clears. But to get the best price I would need to buy a 100 pack, leaving 69 switches unused  :confused:

Offline inteli722

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:05:20 »

Ah I see. Thanks. Probally will go caseless to start, and then get a proper case once I get everything I need.

There are 31 switches, and I want to try out clears. But to get the best price I would need to buy a 100 pack, leaving 69 switches unused  ???

I would be happy to buy those extras off you at a later date when I assemble mine. In fact, with my getting 2, that's nearly perfect.
More

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:07:18 »

There are 31 switches, and I want to try out clears. But to get the best price I would need to buy a 100 pack, leaving 69 switches unused  ???

I would be happy to buy those extras off you at a later date when I assemble mine. In fact, with my getting 2, that's nearly perfect.

On second thought, I'll probally save them for later projects. But then again, by the time I do that, I'll need more switches.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:51:07 »
I'm sure MOZ will whip himself up a nice acrylic job.  He may share.  I am creating something for myself that I will share, but it is aluminum and will be expensive in small quantities.  When it's assembled I'll post photos. 

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:55:24 »
I'm sure MOZ will whip himself up a nice acrylic job.  He may share.  I am creating something for myself that I will share, but it is aluminum and will be expensive in small quantities.  When it's assembled I'll post photos.

OOOOO aluminum! About how much for one?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:02:03 »
Not done.  Weeks to go yet.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:12:57 »
Awesome to see this happening. I had totally forgotten about it. Could you share your plans for the aluminium housing? :thumb:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:20:05 »
I will design an acrylic case for myself. However if the run for this happens anytime in the next couple of months, I might not be able to supply the case.

I can however at the least share the drawings for the case I design.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:23:23 »
Hey qaz, can you PM me or post the PCB/layout that can be used to accurately design a case for this.

Moz out.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:24:43 »
Awesome to see this happening. I had totally forgotten about it. Could you share your plans for the aluminium housing? :thumb:

Not done yet.   More like aluminum plates than a housing.  Think what I did for the Epsilon.  I'm trying to control costs.  It's going to cost me something like $500 to make this dream a reality.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:25:15 »
I will design an acrylic case for myself. However if the run for this happens anytime in the next couple of months, I might not be able to supply the case.

If you share to scale designs, I should be able to do it at cost locally.  I have a laser cutting place near me that's $30 an hour, $55 for two hours, or $95-140 for a month long membership (depending if I can still get a student membership or have to pay full price) and I know I could look around and find some acrylic at decent prices.  I should also be able to do wood top and bottom pieces if people wanted that.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:37:43 »
* qazpad_draft.zip (6.06 kB - downloaded 264 times.)

The "Hardware" layer shows the PCB.  Layer 0 shows the switch cutouts.  I'm too lazy right now to replace the cherry cutouts with the Phantom cutouts, which I'm sure everyone would prefer.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 08:51:45 »
PCB has passed DRC.  Should ship (to me) within 10 days.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 08:59:14 »
Exact location of the USB connector? And what USB connector?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 09:32:55 »
Exact location of the USB connector? And what USB connector?

Yeah that is a quick a dirty draft.  I'll try to make a better one.  The USB connector is DigiKey P/N WM5461CT-ND

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:07:06 »

If you share to scale designs, I should be able to do it at cost locally.  I have a laser cutting place near me that's $30 an hour, $55 for two hours, or $95-140 for a month long membership (depending if I can still get a student membership or have to pay full price) and I know I could look around and find some acrylic at decent prices.  I should also be able to do wood top and bottom pieces if people wanted that.

I'd like wood if I can't get alum

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:13:46 »

I'd like wood if I can't get alum

For wood, I can either buy sheets of exotics and domestics (limited options) that are about 1/4" thick or I can buy boards and rip them into thinner pieces. Depending on wall thickness, you may only want wood tops and bottoms and a clear acrylic center pieces.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:57:43 »
How much would a wood case for this cost? I wouldn't assume it'd be absurdly expensive, considering that it's wood, and we chop down trees like maniacs.
More

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:10:48 »
How much would a wood case for this cost? I wouldn't assume it'd be absurdly expensive, considering that it's wood, and we chop down trees like maniacs.

The wood we chop down is pretty bad quality wood and probably not used in desks and cases etc

Offline inteli722

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:21:03 »

The wood we chop down is pretty bad quality wood and probably not used in desks and cases etc

It was more meant as a species than a country, state, city, family, etc.
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:38:29 »

It would depend on how many people would want laser cutting done by me, the species of wood, and how cheaply I can find acrylic.  I'd be donating my time, so it would only be materials cost and time on the laser cost.  It could be as cheap as $20 or $30 and it could be a bit more.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:46:22 »

It would depend on how many people would want laser cutting done by me, the species of wood, and how cheaply I can find acrylic.  I'd be donating my time, so it would only be materials cost and time on the laser cost.  It could be as cheap as $20 or $30 and it could be a bit more.

If its $20-$30, I'll probally get one.

But I can always go caseless at first right? Also do you think its possible to make a case out of Legos?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:49:26 »
I suggest you have a plan for a case before you build it.  If you solder everything on PCB-mount and you end up wanting a case that is plate mount, you will be stuck.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:54:33 »
I suggest you have a plan for a case before you build it.  If you solder everything on PCB-mount and you end up wanting a case that is plate mount, you will be stuck.

So for plate mounted cases I would need to have it on hand before I build it? Ugh, wood or acrylic

Offline regack

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:35:01 »

So for plate mounted cases I would need to have it on hand before I build it? Ugh, wood or acrylic

Yes, the switches go into the plate, then are soldered to the PCB.  So the plate is trapped and can't be taken out or added without soldering. 

I don't think I've ever seen a wood plate... I'd like to see one, that would be interesting... but I can think of a bunch of reasons why a wood plate wouldn't (<-- no pun intended) work very well.   Probably why I haven't seen any (Not that I've been around to see everything).

You could always get JUST a plate made, then figure out the case later; You'll just have to keep in mind the various ways your plate might be attached (or not) to the case, and build the various options into the plate design.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:36:07 »
What about those cases where there is extra room so you can take off switch covers without desoldering?