Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nichirin  (Read 54941 times)

Offline noorejji

Re: [IC] GMK Nichirin
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:47:52 »
The point of most keysets that aren't in any way plain nor classic, are based on specific themes and aesthetics. It is what it is with how history played out on the creation of the current molds. I can see your points of frustration, but going into this topic with an elitist tone won't benefit your 'cause'. Also it's off topic, let's be real this set isn't going to pave the way for the creation of a slew of new molds.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:00:34 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another weeb set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after Animes. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant Anime themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.
The best way to combat something you'd like to see less is to ignore it.

Thats terrible advice. Literally what has ever been defeated by being ignored? This degenerative weeb trend is a menace to our community and it should be stamped out forcefully and without mercy - much like ISO.

geekhack? more like weebhack  :(

We can always seek refuge on deskthority. Truth be told, I'm very surprised most of the weeb sets aren't IC'd on reddit instead - then again, there have been a few (including this one) where the OP has like 5 posts so I suppose they effectively may as well be.

Lightning is right though, clearly there's some overlap between both hobbies and the themes appeal to a decent amount of users; if the market really does become oversaturated then the fad will die down soon enough, and if it doesn't then weeb sets will keep popping up and people will continue to like them and buy them - which is completely fine, it's not like they're taking away from other projects and the more people are involved in keyboards as a whole the better it is for everyone long term.

If they werent adding to gmk's clogged production line and wearing down shared molds for non-degen sets I would agree with you.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:06:07 »
The point of most keysets that aren't in any way plain nor classic, are based on specific themes and aesthetics. It is what it is with how history played out on the creation of the current molds. I can see your points of frustration, but going into this topic with an elitist tone won't benefit your 'cause'. Also it's off topic, let's be real this set isn't going to pave the way for the creation of a slew of new molds.

Is correctly saying that most people that demand kana sublegends can't read them being elitist?

I ask for Latin sets, and I'm told I'm not respecting the theme.  I ask people to respect the language enough to put thought in to the legends, and I'm told it's not worth the effort. Great. I respect the people working on guides at the moment, but I think the onus should be on the set creators who decide to use kana in the first place. I don't think a color scheme coming from an anime is a great justification for those sublegends.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:13:50 »
I don't understand the argument against the ¥ key though. On an ANSI board with the Windows IME it is default to the \| key. On a JIS layout it is close to the same location along with the same | symbol.  Also, when Windows is set to Japan region the \ character is replaced with ¥ on the command line. So it makes sense to me for a Japanese kit sold to ANSI users for the \| key to have a top-right sublegend of ¥.

This placement of the ¥ legend for ANSI slipped my mind, actually. It does make sense to put it on \|.

This change will require at least 2 new molds, one for standard ANSI and one for HHKB, which isn't too bad.

Three if you wish to implement it for [non-JIS] ISO users but mixing hiragana sublegends with UK/EU ISO is already an awkward affair at best and totally nonsensical at worst.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:29:01 »
I don't understand the argument against the ¥ key though. On an ANSI board with the Windows IME it is default to the \| key. On a JIS layout it is close to the same location along with the same | symbol.  Also, when Windows is set to Japan region the \ character is replaced with ¥ on the command line. So it makes sense to me for a Japanese kit sold to ANSI users for the \| key to have a top-right sublegend of ¥.

This placement of the ¥ legend for ANSI slipped my mind, actually. It does make sense to put it on \|.

This change will require at least 2 new molds, one for standard ANSI and one for HHKB, which isn't too bad.

Three if you wish to implement it for [non-JIS] ISO users but mixing hiragana sublegends with UK/EU ISO is already an awkward affair at best and totally nonsensical at worst.

I thought I had seen a set with that legend already.  Maybe it was just the EnjoyPBT one.

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:07:49 »

This whole thing has gotten me thinking of actually adding the ¥ sublegend, since it completely slipped my mind as well when making the set. I wouldn’t mind adding it, even if it meant making a couple more molds, but I’ll have to check costs first.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:10:50 by FLFrostBite »

Offline KeepCalm27

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 23:01:56 »
I love the colors. Perhaps using a little bit lighter red on legends would be better? Or maybe the rendering needs more light.

Offline BeepBoopRobit

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 00:55:35 »
oh wow this one's dope

Offline jontseg

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:22:01 »
Really vibing with almost minty green being used. Itching to joing the group buy on this one  :thumb:

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:30:39 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another weeb set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after Animes. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant Anime themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.

But isn't it just an IC anyway?

It's as simple as -- if people don't wanna support the theme, then they should just not buy into it.

If enough people are sick of "weeb sets", then surely they wouldn't go through.

Show Image

I could have sworn this was a well known copypasta. Is everyone responding to it seriously or am I the one that's missing the joke?

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 14:27:27 »

But isn't it just an IC anyway?

It's as simple as -- if people don't wanna support the theme, then they should just not buy into it.

If enough people are sick of "weeb sets", then surely they wouldn't go through.

Show Image

I could have sworn this was a well known copypasta. Is everyone responding to it seriously or am I the one that's missing the joke?

this was the origin of the meme.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 15:05:00 »
Oh... that makes sense. I could have sworn it was older. To be fair April was years ago.

Offline gbenz

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 20:04:03 »
Looks neat! I also think it's pretty dark.

Personally, I'd love to see either Tanjiro's checkerboard or Nezuko's leaf patterns incorporated in the set. I feel like they're more symbolic than maybe the fox mask or breath of water thing wave.

Offline kwerty

• beep boop i'm a robot
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 20:31:12 »
Very different, I like it!

Offline engyshow

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 04:04:30 »
Looks great! :D

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 01:03:25 »
not personally into 'red sets' but man does this look good

Offline keebieweeb

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:05:57 »
Looks neat! I also think it's pretty dark.

Personally, I'd love to see either Tanjiro's checkerboard or Nezuko's leaf patterns incorporated in the set. I feel like they're more symbolic than maybe the fox mask or breath of water thing wave.
I agree!! Tanjiro’s checkers or Nezuko’s leaf are quite defining and would definitely really round this set out. Apart from that that, this is a really nice looking set.

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:34:40 »
Okay, I see you :)

Offline jack47

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 06:24:32 »
I loved this anime very much but I can't really see how the color choices show inspiration from it. Do you have any particular scenes or pictures where you mainly got the color ideas from? GLWIC!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 09:19:20 »
A few notes on this set's kitting and legends:

Hashira (base kit)
  • The R3 #~け and \|む keys have the wrong sublegends; these should be on R3 and on R4.
    Please see my visual guide to kana sublegends in ANSI-JP–based kits.

• Ideally, these two keys would be changed to R3 \|む, R4 <>ろ.
    See the following examples: GMK Bentō R2, GMK βeta, IFK Musubi.

• The R1 -_ほ key is missing a sublegend in the top right, for correct coverage of ANSI-JP layouts.
    This character is a Japanese prolonged sound mark (chōonpu), not a regular dash.

• The sublegend in the top right of the R1 0)わを key should be larger.
    It should be the same size as the sublegend below it, and larger than the small quaternary sublegends to its left (, , etc.).

• A second R4 1u Alt key needs to be added to the kit for Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows.
    Without it, the 1.5u Super and Fn keys in the kit can't be fully utilized.

• I suggest removing the numpad 00 key, for two reasons:
    1) it's only really useful for standalone numpads, which are quite rare, and this set doesn't have full coverage for them anyway; and
    2) the base kit is already big enough as is, any unnecessary keys that can be cut should be cut.

• I recommend changing the R2 Out, R3 Read keys to R2 Pg Up, R3 Pg Dn.
    The current legends are primarily used when you want to include ortho support in a base kit, but yours is in a separate kit. Also, 65% and 75% layouts are very popular, so it's advisable to offer the correct legends for these layouts.

Moons (40s kit)
  • I recommend adding more staggered 40% and ortho support to this kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2020, 09:25:27 by konstantin »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 10:50:56 »
This set is beautiful. you got a +1

Offline Z E N

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 11:47:40 »
No one cares

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 15:47:19 »
Is there an IC for the Gemini | J2 Mechs ive seen it before in other renders but I have yet to see an IC for it

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 23:05:03 »
I loved this anime very much but I can't really see how the color choices show inspiration from it. Do you have any particular scenes or pictures where you mainly got the color ideas from? GLWIC!

Oh boy if only I still had the original sources. I can tell you where I got them, but as far as the original inspiration images I would have to dig through many images from months ago. I directly referenced Tanjirou’s jacket and scar from the manga illustrations for the red and the green, then found the nearest Pantone and RAL equivalent. Nezuko’s part in all this will come more whenever I’m able to find someone to render for me, but do consider her to be “in the works” more than anything else.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 19:59:27 »
any updates?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 20:12:17 »

LOL! What a silly complaint. It's not like there's anything "anime" or "weeb" about the actual keys. It's just that the COLORS chosen, can apparently be tied to some random anime. Just change the theme in your head to something you like, that happens to have the same colors.

Anywho, sorry, but i think the sets ugly.

Offline GodOfThunder

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 23:18:59 »
This is bomb tbh. Great work!

Doesn't even suit the theme at all. I see simple colour matching and random Demon Slayer terms used on this set

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:00:55 »

LOL! What a silly complaint. It's not like there's anything "anime" or "weeb" about the actual keys. It's just that the COLORS chosen, can apparently be tied to some random anime. Just change the theme in your head to something you like, that happens to have the same colors.

Anywho, sorry, but i think the sets ugly.

I don't really get the complaints about the weeb sets (its like they're livin in the early 2010s LOL, it seems kinda lame to be hating on anime in this decade). If someone took the same colors of anygiven weeb set and said "this set is based on the colors of a rock I found when I was 5 in japan hence the sublegends" the same people complaining about weeb **** would be okay with the theme lol. At the end of the day its about aesthetics, so if you like the colors then I dont see a problem if it's based on anime or what have you.

Offline Cowmovie4

• hollow keyboard haver
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:04:04 »
Could the Moon Set get a second 'B' for all the alice users out there :3

second. I'd also enjoy accent small spacebars, but not the end of the world if there's just small black spacebars and a B.

third. I may have an arisu with no second B, but I know a lot of you second B havers really care about this

The set and the theme is fantastic I love it!
u/TheFourthCow - formerly TheFourthCow on geekhack... until I locked myself out.

Designer of the Funky40 - IC TBD
Working on a new board! IC inbound?
https://i.imgur.com/5GVY8I5.jpg

Offline vrytex

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 01:38:24 »
Love the idea, but i think the color need to be more vibrant because the anime is so colorful

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 04:35:53 »
Damn, that maroon/green combo is surprisingly hot. The novelties are a little underwhelming, though. I wouldn’t know what it was inspired by if I didn’t read it. Maybe add more things, like the Hanafuda earrings?

The Moons Kit could also use some love.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 08:02:42 »

Show Image

lmfao

on a different note, how have I not heard about this set? looks great  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 May 2021, 08:10:18 by NovaRMK »

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 09:50:36 »

Oh boy if only I still had the original sources. I can tell you where I got them, but as far as the original inspiration images I would have to dig through many images from months ago. I directly referenced Tanjirou’s jacket and scar from the manga illustrations for the red and the green, then found the nearest Pantone and RAL equivalent.

Honestly I kind of dig the more muted colors. There are a lot more bright colors in the anime, but it makes sense if it's more inspired by the manga illustrations, specifically Tanjirou's jacket and scar.

Anyway, it's been a while since any updates, I hope all is going well with this set!

Offline Kro

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 17:13:49 »
I don't know anything about Demon Slayer and I love this set. I'm not sure if this is dead but I would love to see it become a thing, even with the insane GMK lead times.

Offline whitewolf154

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 18:16:16 »
To be honest, I was a bit disappointed because the color looks dull in my opinion. I am a big fan of this manga/anime, and I think you could have picked better colors from it