Author Topic: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - GB Thread UP!  (Read 98762 times)

Offline raz

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - Updates
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 07:53:28 »
Do we already know more about the expected date for the GB to launch?

I am waiting for GMK prices! I don't want to give dates before I am 100% sure about it but I am close to have some news for you :D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 16:21:17 »
Damn good renders and nice set  :thumb:

Offline outerspace

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 17:24:18 »
Hurryyyy up :-) I need those desk mats!

Offline Skandiluz

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 00:09:43 »
Ugh I need this set so bad! I'm such a sucker for blues and purples.

Offline Italian_T3ddy_v2

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 05:17:57 »
I don't know man, this looks so similar to GMK Mashu... :rolleyes:

Offline raz

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 05:21:24 »

Yeah a friend linked me the IC, pretty similar palette ngl but hey, I don't own these colors!

Offline dibstern

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 05:48:39 »

Yeah a friend linked me the IC, pretty similar palette ngl but hey, I don't own these colors!

This is a lot cooler than GMK Mashu IMO, my girlfriend is keen haha

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 12:45:11 »
GB So near! Lesgoooo! Excited for this Raz.

Offline PhantomLeadr

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 08:15:14 »
Any word on a US Vendor?

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 17:31:15 »
Counting down the days until we can order this set!

Offline raz

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - Last update with new kits/vendors/
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:49:17 »
So! This is the last update guys!
We have new kits, new renders and all the vendors listed here. I'm going to make the GB post soon with pricess and all of that :D

A summary of the finalized kits:

NEW KITS!

Minimalistico

Figure e Forme

Alternativo

Striscia

Milleottocento

40Per100

Linee

You can check the new renders on the OP!

If you want to be up to date or discuss about anything, this is the link to Discord server.
If you like to check websites, this is the one I'm keeping up to date with my projects: raz.works
If you would like to be part of the italian community, this is our Discord server (we speak enRish too)

EDIT: Fixed Base kit and Alpha kit files!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 07:03:39 by raz »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - Last update with new kits/vendors/
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 05:44:03 »
We have new kits, new renders and all the vendors listed here. I'm going to make the GB post soon with pricess and all of that :D

NEW KITS!

I don't agree with making such large kitting changes (completely changing the structure of the kits) right before the GB. This doesn't give you any time to gather feedback from users, and it gives potential buyers no time to react to the changes and voice their thoughts.

That being said, as it stands, your current kitting has some issues. I'm not sure what you can do at this point, but I'm going to give you a list of these issues so that at least you're aware of them.

More
Base kit (Minimalistico)
  • Your base kit render is showing a duplicate F7 key and is missing an F12, but I assume that's a rendering error.

• Other than that, your base kit is missing R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, which are popular options on modern 65% and 75% boards (you even show them in your renders); yet it includes a stepped R3 1.75u Control key, which is a lot less commonly used and isn't included in almost any GMK base kits nowadays.
    R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn are also the default setup on Tada68, which you explicitly claim to support in the “compatibility check” section of the image.
    If you aren't including R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn because they can be covered with novelties, then you shouldn't really include 1.5u Super keys either for the same reason.

• Speaking of 1.5u Super, your base kit is missing a second R4 1u Alt key, which is necessary in order for the 1.5u Super keys to be usable.

• The base kit is also missing an R4 1.25u Fn key, which is used on every board size from 40s all the way up to full size. In its place is a Menu key, which isn't really a fitting replacement for Fn (Fn being the more popular option). Menu is truly useful only for TKL and full-size boards (mostly OEM ones) that have an actual context menu key (in which case Fn actually is a good replacement for that). Outside of those, most people prefer to use 1.25u Fn. Because of this, Menu should have been changed to Fn or Meta.

• I personally think the purple Enter accent doesn't make sense unless it's combined with the Striscia kit, so I think this key should have been moved to the Striscia kit.

• An optional addition that some users like and that many base kits are including nowadays is F13.

Alphas kit (Alternativo)
  • R1 1u \| is missing, which makes it impossible to cover split backspace keyboards (including all HHKB variants) with white alphas.

Numpad kit (Milleottocento)
  • The R1 1u Delete key is a duplicate since there is one already included in the base kit.
  • It's unclear if the 5 key is homing or not. If it's supposed to be scooped, then the barred variant should be included as well since this is a separate numpad kit. However, if it's non-homing, then that can be considered a design choice, and so it's fine to keep just that one non-homing 5 key.
  • Since this is a separate numpad kit, R4 1u 00 should also be included.
  • Accent-colored R1 1u = would likely be useful for more people than Pause, since num row Pause is inherently tied to OG 1800 layouts only.

40% kit (40Per100)
  • This kit is mostly fine, but two very notable omissions are R4 1u Lower, Raise keys and a second R4 1u Shift keys. Most ortho users will require these keys for their boards. If it comes down to that, Fn and Ctrl can be replaced with Lower and Raise without any issues.
  • R4 1u Alt shouldn't be here but rather in the base kit, as mentioned previously.
  • Including accent variants of 1.25u and 1.5u Enters should be a lower priority than including correct compatibility for popular layouts.
  • R4 1.5u Shift would have been addition to this kit because some of the coverage in the kit (namely, 1.25u Enter for UT47.2, Whimsy etc.) is incomplete without it. 1.5u Shift also covers Nathan's Evolv 75% board and the Raine mini-1800.
  • Ideally, the R3 1u Tab key would have had a more generic legend (e.g. ^) so that ortho users aren't restricted to using Tab (which is one of the less popular options in that position).

Spacebars kit (Linee)
  • There's no need to have two 1c spacekeys since this is only useful for ortho boards (which have their own kit where this is covered).
  • A nice addition would have been two 3c spacebars since these are growing in popularity.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 05:54:30 by konstantin »

Offline raz

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:06:34 »

NEW KITS!

I don't agree with making such large kitting changes (completely changing the structure of the kits) right before the GB. This doesn't give you any time to gather feedback from users, and it gives potential buyers no time to react to the changes and voice their thoughts. If I'm being honest, this feels very rushed.

That being said, as it stands, your current kitting has some issues. I'm not sure what you can do at this point, but I'm going to give you a list of these issues so that at least you're aware of them.

More
Base kit (Minimalistico)
  • Your base kit render is showing a duplicate F7 key and is missing an F12, but I assume that's a rendering error.

• Other than that, your base kit is missing R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, which are popular options on modern 65% and 75% boards (you even show them in your renders); yet it includes a stepped R3 1.75u Control key, which is a lot less commonly used and isn't included in almost any GMK base kits nowadays.
    R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn are also the default setup on Tada68, which you explicitly claim to support in the “compatibility check” section of the image.
    If you aren't including R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn because they can be covered with novelties, then you shouldn't really include 1.5u Super keys either for the same reason.

• Speaking of 1.5u Super, your base kit is missing a second R4 1u Alt key, which is necessary in order for the 1.5u Super keys to be usable.

• The base kit is also missing an R4 1.25u Fn key, which is used on every board size from 40s all the way up to full size. In its place is a Menu key, which isn't really a fitting replacement for Fn (Fn being the more popular option). Menu is truly useful only for TKL and full-size boards (mostly OEM ones) that have an actual context menu key (in which case Fn actually is a good replacement for that). Outside of those, most people prefer to use 1.25u Fn. Because of this, Menu should have been changed to Fn or Meta.

• I personally think the purple Enter accent doesn't make sense unless it's combined with the Striscia kit, so I think this key should have been moved to the Striscia kit.

• An optional addition that some users like and that many base kits are including nowadays is F13.

Alphas kit (Alternativo)
  • R1 1u \| is missing, which makes it impossible to cover split backspace keyboards (including all HHKB variants) with white alphas.

• The R1 1u Delete key is a duplicate since there is one already included in the base kit.
  • It's unclear if the 5 key is homing or not. If it's supposed to be scooped, then the barred variant should be included as well since this is a separate numpad kit. However, if it's non-homing, then that can be considered a design choice, and so it's fine to keep just that one non-homing 5 key.
  • Accent-colored R1 1u = would likely be useful for more people than Pause, since num row Pause is inherently tied to OG 1800 layouts only.

40% kit (40Per100)
  • This kit is mostly fine, but two very notable omissions are R4 1u Lower, Raise keys and a second R4 1u Shift keys. Most ortho users will require these keys for their boards. If it comes down to that, Fn and Ctrl can be replaced with Lower and Raise without any issues.
  • R4 1u Alt shouldn't be here but rather in the base kit, as mentioned previously.
  • Including accent variants of 1.25u and 1.5u Enters should be a lower priority than including correct compatibility for popular layouts.
  • R4 1.5u Shift would have been addition to this kit because some of the coverage in the kit (namely, 1.25u Enter for UT47.2, Whimsy etc.) is incomplete without it. 1.5u Shift also covers Nathan's Evolv 75% board and the Raine mini-1800.
  • Ideally, the R3 1u Tab key would have had a more generic legend (e.g. ^) so that ortho users aren't restricted to using Tab (which is one of the less popular options in that position).

Spacebars kit (Linee)
  • There's no need to have two 1c spacekeys since this is only useful for ortho boards (which have their own kit where this is covered).
  • A nice addition would have been two 3c spacebars since these are growing in popularity.

NEW KITS!

I don't agree with making such large kitting changes (completely changing the structure of the kits) right before the GB. This doesn't give you any time to gather feedback from users, and it gives potential buyers no time to react to the changes and voice their thoughts. If I'm being honest, this feels very rushed.

More
Base kit (Minimalistico)

Alphas kit (Alternativo)

40% kit (40Per100)

Spacebars kit (Linee)

Thank you as always for your feedbacks kostantin!
Base kit F7 is obviously a render error, going to fix it soon, thanks for the catch :D

As for the base kit missing keys: choice were made to strip down kits and bring down the price. For more exotic layouts or numpad or wathever, people can mix in the 40% kit or novelty kit and live an easy life with them :D

Menu key: I like it more than FN, it's a choice to not have a 1.25 fn key and a 1.25 menu key

PS: tada layout (1u right cluster) is still supported with different legends.

About the numpad kit: i tried to be inclusive. People could buy the numpad without having the base kit, so adding a delete key was a choice. 5 is not scoped and it's just my choice :) I was clearly pointing out the 1800 og layout with this kit (milleottocento means literally 1800)

Alpha Kit is my bad, wrong file uploaded :D HHKB is completely supported (split backspace)

Thanks again for the feedback! Going to update the base with the right F row and the alpha with the |\ ! (I'm dumb, I use hhkb layout everyday)

Offline raz

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 07:05:28 »
Fixed up base and alpha files - thanks to konstantin and his eagle eyes  :p

Offline raz

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 08:45:10 »
So!
I made a mistake. Added R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn to the base. The price will not go higher than what it is right now (it's all on me the fault here)

Hope you like the update! I'm going to post the GB thread when all the proxies set up the pages in their stores :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 09:48:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

So!
I made a mistake. Added R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn to the base. The price will not go higher than what it is right now (it's all on me the fault here)

Hope you like the update! I'm going to post the GB thread when all the proxies set up the pages in their stores :)

Show Image

Good stuff. Big props for making these last-minute fixes. Best of luck with the GB!

Offline raz

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 09:55:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

So!

Show Image

Good stuff. Big props for making these last-minute fixes. Best of luck with the GB!

Thank you very much man!
I really appreciate your work here on geekhack

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - Added R3 PGUP R4 PGDN
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:53:04 »
Me too, Konstantin is so the man. I check some keycap ICs that I would never support just to wait for Konstantin to swoop in with a million kitting suggestions, most of which he can back up with statistics. People like him really make hanging out in this space so much fun! /Johannes

Offline PHYLO

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - Added R3 PGUP R4 PGDN
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 09:52:16 »
Might be my first ever GMK set to get... Gorgeous!

Offline raz

Offline Qwapa

Re: [IC] GMK Avanguardia - GB 15th December - GB Thread UP!
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 22:49:03 »
this is a easy cop sooooo nice im going to put this on a dark polycarb board fs.

Offline idealape

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 07:06:55 »
any news on the deskmat production/deliveries? Thought they we'ere gonna be finished this month.

Offline raz

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:21:55 »
any news on the deskmat production/deliveries? Thought they we'ere gonna be finished this month.

Hey! I'm going to post updates about the GB in the GB thread here in Geekhack!

For the mousepad we are waiting for a second round prototype that matches the colors better

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:27:39 »
" Once you started a group buy, please remember to close/lock the IC thread and put a re-direct link on the last page of that thread (so that way, members can just follow it to place their orders) "

Offline raz

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:52:17 »
" Once you started a group buy, please remember to close/lock the IC thread and put a re-direct link on the last page of that thread (so that way, members can just follow it to place their orders) "

It would be awesome to be able to lock myself the post!

I linked the GB post sometime ago ;)

GB Thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110217.0