Author Topic: [IC] KAT Phantasmagoria (VENDOR + COLLAB ANNOUNCEMENT!)  (Read 34258 times)

Offline AllieBlairThomas

[IC] KAT Phantasmagoria (VENDOR + COLLAB ANNOUNCEMENT!)
« on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:10:07 »

KAT Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria (noun): a sequence of real or imaginary images like those seen in a dream.

UPDATE: Prototypist has officially become the UK vendor for KAT Phantasmagoria!
We're also doing cable and artisan collaborations with BearCables and Asero Foundry!
Updated renders should be in the next couple of weeks or so, with thicker legends!

Hello keycap enthusiasts, my name is Allie Blair, and I’m very excited to present my first keycap design, KAT Phantasmagoria.

Phantasmagoria is a culmination of several ideas I’ve wanted to see implemented in keycap design since I joined this community six months ago, and after several months of designing and redesigning, I’m finally ready to show this project to all of you.

IC FORM HERE

About

Phantasmagoria features a white keycap base with a gradient passing through the legends, starting with an electric blue, passing through violet and ending in a pastel pink, giving the illusion of the full gradient being present in your mind’s eye.

The set has been designed from the bottom up to present a more reserved take on the gradient keycap set while maintaining a professional aesthetic.

One thing of note is that this board was designed in a way that will allow for the full gradient to be present, regardless of form factor.

This means that if you use smaller keyboards that you will still get the full experience of the design.

One of the core themes revolving around Phantasmagoria is the concept of things that you see in dreams. This set is heavily inspired by tarot cards and the occult.

While there will not be any obscene imagery, there will definitely be some more eerie novelties included in the icon novelty kit. More on that further down.

Set Details

I’m offering six alpha kits, three Latin sets, Hiragana, Katakana, and Hangul.

I’ve included separate Dvorak and Colemak kits so that those layout users can still have access to the full gradient as it is intended.

Latin Alphas

Hiragana Alphas

Katakana Alphas

Hangul Alphas

Colemak Alphas

Dvorak Alphas

If there is a language kit that you would like to see added to this set, please fill out the IC form located at the bottom of the page.

The Modifiers kits include full support for a majority of popular layouts, again designed to keep the gradient intact.

I’m offering both text and icon modifiers, but have elected to not offer Text + Icon modifiers at this time, as it would take away from the more minimal design of the set as a whole.

The 40s kit WILL cover ortholinear boards.

60s/TKL Text Mods

60s/TKL Icon Mods

40s Text Mods

40s Icons Mods

I have split the novelties into two separate categories: Text Novelties, and Icon Novelties. The text novelties will include a full text number pad, and a mono text number row, designed to match with the text modifiers.

Text Novelties

The Icon novelties are currently being finalized; however, I will have a list of the novelties in the IC form available.

If there are any additional novelty ideas that you have, please feel free to send those ideas to me.

The number pad kit is a separate kit in order to lower the cost of the modifier kits, as number pads are in less demand, especially with the popularity of smaller form factors.

Numpad Kit

The Spacebar kit will cover all of the spacebar layouts regardless of form factor. I’ve included 6.25u and 7u spacebars in the modifiers kits, so you will only need this kit for things like ortholinear boards and boards with split spacebars.

Spacebars Kit

The Accent kit will include all of the reverse dye sublimination keys. This kit will also potentially be including a gradient spacebar in 6.25 and 7u, however that will need to be prototyped before I am comfortable including it in the renders.

Accent Kit

I’ve also included a full UK Iso kit, also in line with the gradient.

UK Iso Kit

Blanks are something I am considering running in this set, however I wanted to get feedback from the community before including them directly. The blanks kits would include an Alpha kit, 60s and 40s modifiers, as well as Ergo modifiers.

Renders

Below are some board renders that give a clearer idea of the gradient and the optical illusion held within.

Note: These renders are not guaranteed to be completely accurate, as different monitors with different calibration settings will show colors differently.

All board renders were made by Ghost.

Iron 180 by Smith and Rune

Rama Koyu by Rama Works

Paragon75 by Artemis Design Studios

Vendors

US: Mechs and Co.

CA: Ashkeebs

EU: Mykeyboard

UK: Prototypist

CN: ZFrontier

SEA: ILUMKB

OCE: Riftkeys

Collaborations

Coiled Cable: Bearcables.com

Metal Artisan: Asero Foundry

To-Do List

Finalize Novelties

Additional Renders

Design Deskmats

Announce Artisan Collaborations

Announce Cable Collaborations

Acquire Manufacturer Quotes

Launch GB

Acknowledgements

There are so many people that I need to thank that I’m almost positive that I’m going to miss someone. First off, I’d like thank my renderer, Ghost, for working with me on such short notice. You are amazing.

I also want to shoutout the biggest hypemen of the set, Halo, ThickJimmy, Shiba1337, Koosha(Ram), Dworf, Hark, Quadrum, and Iinko. Your kind words and encouragement helped me when I was so close to dropping the set, there’s no way the set could’ve made it this far without all of you.

Jen, my novelty designer, I know it has seemed like we’ve been stuck in the same spot for a while now, but you’ve been a big help with the process and helping make sure I was designing the set for the right reasons.

And finally, I’d like to thank my loving partner for dealing with late nights and long hours of the design of this set. Love you. <3

Closing Thoughts

While this set has come very far in the past few months, it is still definitely in its preliminary stages at this point, and I am heavily relying on feedback from the community to help finalize the last few pieces of this puzzle.

If there are any comments, questions, or concerns about the set, please feel free to include them in the IC form, or comment in this thread, as I will be actively replying to as many comments as possible.

Thank you all for taking the time to look over my set, and I hope that you are as excited about owning this as I am about designing it.

IC FORM HERE

If you would like to support this IC, please feel free to use this banner in your signature.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110211.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/E0LurZ5.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2020, 20:33:23 by AllieBlairThomas »

Offline AllieBlairThomas

Re: [IC] KAT Phantasmagoria
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:10:49 »
Reserved

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:11:06 »
yes

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:11:27 »
r
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Ram

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:11:32 »
reserved

Offline Oggi

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:12:06 »
gradient gang

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:12:27 »
I'm so glad to see this set finally in IC! You go Gradient Mom!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:52:59 by ThickJimmy »

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:12:57 »
now this is epic

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:17:20 »
Very, very much in for this one.

Offline trung11.kb

• Formerly tomkatsuuu
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:31:18 »
Glad you finally released the IC. Congrats on all of the hard work, good luck!

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:53:24 »
This is awesome!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:58:55 »
I love the colors,  but I feel like they could use a bit more saturation, they look almost like blanks because of how light the alphas look.

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 20:01:03 »
I love the colors,  but I feel like they could use a bit more saturation, they look almost like blanks because of how light the alphas look.

That is something that we're going to be looking at samples for, just so we can get a good idea. Based off of the color matching that I've done, it will have more contrast in person than what shows in the renders.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 20:18:26 »
meh. pass. Looks very washed out and faded.. I'm using a large 4k screen and can barely make anything out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 16:36:33 by Havattack »

Offline RIFT

• RiftKeys
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 20:26:45 »
 :eek: ooooooooooo my lawdy

Offline irene

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 20:40:56 »
I like the colors, but wow are the legends in the renders so impossibly thin.  I can barely read them.

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 21:59:36 »
I like the colors, but wow are the legends in the renders so impossibly thin.  I can barely read them.

You're not the first person to mention it, and I doubt you'll be the last, lol. I'm looking into thickening the font. This will also help with contrast.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:00:26 »
Oh my goodnesss that was a lot of rendres that i needed to scroll through

Its good i guess . iwas overwhelmed by the sheer amount of kits
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:01:30 »
Oh my goodnesss that was a lot of rendres that i needed to scroll through

Its good i guess . iwas overwhelmed by the sheer amount of kits

Yeah, that's the unfortunate reality of KAT sets. Sorry!

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:29:12 »
love this

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:39:29 »
Looks nice, but the font is so thin and the colors probably need more saturation. I know you said this will be different in person so I look forward to seeing them done
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 22:39:59 »
I think the legends should be a bit larger and definitely bolder.   This is just too thin.  Beautiful colors and theme.

Offline Zanhana

Re: [IC] KAT Phantasmagoria (FEEDBACK UPDATE)
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:01:31 »
literally can't read any of the legends

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:04:16 »
I love the concept! The pastel-y gradients are very aesthetically pleasing.

Others have already mentioned the thickness feedback, so it seems you're on top of it.

My only concern is that the alpha colors and the white keycap does not really fit into the guidelines for accessibility (or specifically, contrast ratio): https://uxdesign.cc/the-easiest-part-about-designing-accessible-websites-76cd6b9a7ae4

Even for me, someone without color blindness, I find it hard to see the text.

Hope you can figure something out regarding that -- GLWIC!

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:26:38 »

Others have already mentioned the thickness feedback, so it seems you're on top of it.

My only concern is that the alpha colors and the white keycap does not really fit into the guidelines for accessibility (or specifically, contrast ratio): https://uxdesign.cc/the-easiest-part-about-designing-accessible-websites-76cd6b9a7ae4

So, based off of my conversations with people far more experienced than myself, the contrast issues are going to be present in the renders more glaringly solely because of the lighting and the medium of 3d modeling. Once I get physical samples I'll be updating the IC and that will show that the contrast is a bit easier to read.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 23:28:27 »

So, based off of my conversations with people far more experienced than myself, the contrast issues are going to be present in the renders more glaringly solely because of the lighting and the medium of 3d modeling. Once I get physical samples I'll be updating the IC and that will show that the contrast is a bit easier to read.

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 00:46:02 »
YES also I can't even see those legends when I'm on mobile

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:55:36 »
YES also I can't even see those legends when I'm on mobile

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

<3 And don't worry, the legends will have higher contrast in person.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 11:19:12 »
going well, nice
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Ram

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 12:34:21 »
bump bc this set is amazing

Offline Pach

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 14:55:42 »
this is nice

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:07:11 »

Offline Rikkachet

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 12:39:35 »
Definitely an interesting set. Looking forward to this one.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 13:43:23 »
Why is anyone even thinking about running KAT sets right now? given that they are comically behind schedule. You got to be affiliated with keyreative or something.

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 13:45:33 »
Why is anyone even thinking about running KAT sets right now? given that they are comically behind schedule. You got to be affiliated with keyreative or something.

I can assure you I’m not.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 13:51:37 »

The community needs to band together and speak with their wallets regarding future KAT/KAM sets. Nothing will change as long as MOQ keeps getting hit. One day MOQ will not get hit though and the hard work a designer has put into a KAT set will be all for nothing and it will not be the designers fault, other than choosing KAT as their platform. Hate to see a good idea wasted is all. Nice set. good luck.

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 13:53:04 »

The community needs to band together and speak with their wallets regarding future KAT/KAM sets. Nothing will change as long as MOQ keeps getting hit. One day MOQ will not get hit though and the hard work a designer has put into a KAT set will be all for nothing and it will not be the designers fault, other than choosing KAT as their platform. Hate to see a good idea wasted is all. Nice set. good luck.

I appreciate the kind words, and I empathize with your situation.

Offline TheGenericAsian

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:33:36 »
Loving the set, and I'll be interested to see how it looks with thickened legends.
I could very easily see myself buying two kits, one for text and one for icon mods.

I know the vendor list is huge as it is, but would you also consider Prototypist as a vendor?

thank u 4 iso

Offline AllieBlairThomas

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 18:58:06 »
Loving the set, and I'll be interested to see how it looks with thickened legends.
I could very easily see myself buying two kits, one for text and one for icon mods.

I know the vendor list is huge as it is, but would you also consider Prototypist as a vendor?

thank u 4 iso

If they asked me in an official sense I would need to have that discussion privately.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 21:46:44 »
Bump because good set

Offline AllieBlairThomas

Re: [IC] KAT Phantasmagoria (VENDOR + COLLAB ANNOUNCEMENT!)
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 15:33:51 »
Bumping for Vendor + Collab update!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 15:49:55 »
Toxic treeleaf incoming.

all the legends look the same because the color is so light hahahahaha.

I am so outrageous, I wear my pride on my sleeve like a bracelet . ..
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 23:42:21 »
Thank you so much for listening to the feedback on making the legends thicker! This set is going to look wonderful  ;D

Offline UberPlatypus

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 13:47:13 »
Very cool!

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Offline v683

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 01:41:38 »
This is so pretty, a blue to magenta gradient on a white canvas. Could you get a few more keys on the Colemak set for the Mod-DH variant? I really like the alternative languages, though I wonder if Keyreative can do Zhuyin and Cangjie? I think you forgot the R3 1u Ctrl/Code keys for the 40s Icons Mods kit; it's only one key but it's pretty important for 40% ortho users. And of course I'm in on this

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 07:13:25 »
Colors look cute, me likey.
But if the legends could be more thicker. It would be perfect. Since its a little bit hard to see, still like it tho
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 April 2021, 08:10:08 by shenshendei »

Offline WaynaPawiasek

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 14:16:45 »
I really like the thin alphas, it contributes to the aesthetic very well. i am sure i'd get used to it.Would love to see NorDe ISO support in this kit, i reckon that should be doable in KAT.

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 14:32:24 »
damn, cant wait for the asero foundry collab! this set is so aesthetic it hits my pink purple feels right on target

Offline convoliution

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 15:56:09 »
This is quite possibly my favorite keycap set by far. It's somehow both flashy and subtle (and has a planned Hangul kit!), and the colors are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing how the idea progresses!

Offline HelloThisIsDog

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 23:38:07 »
Am I the only one who saw the name and thought, wow! A set about Adorno's critique of Wagner!