Author Topic: 【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花 | GB Date update!  (Read 66640 times)

Offline shenshendei

【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花 | GB Date update!
« on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:11:17 »

GMK Higanbana彼岸花

GB date: July 9th to August 9th

GB PAGE IS NOW LIVE!!!!

Inspiration

“開一千年,落一千年,花葉永不相見,情不為因果,緣注定生死”
This set is inspired by a flower called Higanbana, Also known as 彼岸花(ひがんばな), 曼珠沙華, red spider Lily. Scientific name - Lycoris radiata
The flower has a special feature where it only has the flower or leaves. Leaves bloom after the flower withers, or the opposite.
This feature has led to several myths and backstories,
mainly from Asian Countries like Japan, China and Korea. But the content is mostly similar.

The Tales of Higanbana
Symbolic flower meanings(Hana kotoba)

In China, the Higanbana symbolizes Luck, its 花語 is “Pure and Beauty”.
In Korea, the Higanbana symbolizes Lovesickness, Unluckiness, Separation, Sadness and The beauty of death.
In Japan, the Higanbana symbolizes Separation and Death, its 花言葉 is “Sad Memories''.

Myths and story time
There are several myths and stories surrounding the Higanbana.
If you’re interested in the full stories of Higanbana, expand for more.

Myth 1
More
開一千年,落一千年,花葉永不想見,情不為因果,緣注定生死。
As told in Buddhist scriptures: “ Blooms and withers for a thousand year. With flower and leaves that will never meet. Bonded not from karma, But with lives destined by fate”
A long time ago, there were two individuals, one named 曼珠 who represented the leaves, the other named 沙華 who represented the flowers. Their job was to take care and guard the Higanbanas.
The two were forbidden to meet. One day out of curiosity, they decided to break the rules and meet each other secretly.
That particular year, the leaves bloomed alongside the flowers - more beautiful than ever. This alerted the gods, who punished them into an antiphase reincarnation, cursing them to be unable to meet each other. This resulted in Spider Lilies to never have flowers and leaves blooming at the same time.

Myth 2
More
This flower blooms in the underworld(黃泉). They grow on the banks of Sanzu river(三途河). It has been told that the scent of the Higanbana(彼岸花) has the ability to remind people of memories of their dead past. Due to its blood red color. The road filled with this flower has been dubbed "the Path of Fire sparks", guiding dead souls to the nether. Once the Souls have past the Sanzu river(三途河), the memories of their past lives will be left at the other side of the river (彼岸). These bloom as Higanbanas, leaving memories behind as the souls reincarnate.

Myth 3
More
曼珠 and 沙華 went through numerous reincarnations. A buddha had passed by Sanzu river(三途河). Picking up the Higanbana, he said: “Being forbidden to meet each other, yet still striving for each other, bonding with love. The tragedy of not being able to meet is just a matter of fate. Carrying a curse of the gods, I have no power to help you, all I can do is bring you to the other side of the river, and bloom over the fields.”
The Buddha wrapped the flower in his clothing as he crosses the river. Suddenly, water splashed onto his clothes. He unwrapped to check on the flower, only to realize the red burning flower had turned white. The colors bled into the Sanzu river, staining the river with blood red dye.

Ever since, the white and red Higanbanas represented death. White flowers blooms along the path towards heaven; while red flowers blooms along the path towards hell.

Kits

The Base kit - Higanbana(彼岸花)

Novelties - Tensei(転生)
Novelties has been fixed, click "more" to view the old ones

More
here's the old, novs

40s/orthos - Yomi(黄泉)

Spacebar kit - Ku(空)

Alt Mods kit - Mayo Naka(真夜中)

Latin Alphas kit - Gaijin(外人)

Renders

Renders by me
Rama Koyu

Noxary 280

Noxary 280

TKC m0lly

TKC SP-111

Rama 60

For more renders, please go here

Colorway

update: color 1012 has been changed to 1021(cuz it looks less muddy and looks better lol)

Deskmat

Deskmats are now here!

Manjushage(曼珠沙華)

Pollen(花粉)

Manjushage White(曼珠沙華-白)

Bloodbath(血祭)

sanzu no kawa(三途の川)

jigoku no kawa(地獄の川)

Please fill theDESKMAT Feedback Form!

Design

This Set uses Black alphas, Red Modifiers and Yellow legended numrows.
This was inspired by popular photoshoots of a Higanbana juxtaposed against a black background, and the symbols Higanbanas represent.
The aim was to imitate the shape of the flower, using yellow legends to set off as a highlight.

Novelties explained

Hana

Based on the Higanbana flower, it represents the Top view and the Side view.

Swallowtail:

Based on a butterfly - the black swallowtail.
They perch on top of Higanbanas even though it kills them, hence the flower being dubbed 蝶戀花.

For the rest of the novelties:
More
Japanese Mythology

六文錢:

Based on the story where people in the afterlife pay 6 coins to ride on the boat that crosses the sanzu river(三途の川).

Chinese Mythology

鬼門關:

Depicting an image of “The gate that connects to the underworld (黃泉), where Higanbanas are present along the path.

奈何橋:

The bridge for crossing Sanzu river, also known as 忘川. After crossing this bridge, souls will reincarnate and start their new life.

孟婆湯:

Before people cross the bridge (奈何橋), an old lady (孟婆) would give you a bowl of soup (孟婆湯),
making you forget everything about your past life before you reincarnate.

漢字Kanji:

彼岸花: Higanbana(ひがんばな), the name of the flower in kanji
魂: tamashi(たまし), Soul/spirit in kanji
恋: koi(こい), Love in kanji

IC Feedback Form

Please fill out my IC Feedback Form and DESKMAT Feedback Form to help me improve this set, as well as for any comments, changes, suggestions or feedback!

Feel free to join the Discord server
And also consider following myInstagram

Heres my discord: shenshen_dei#9915

FAQ

Q: The Mod legends are kinda not legible, there is low contrast
A:
More
Assuming the kit images were not zoomed in when viewed. Try zooming, scaling it to match the size of your keycaps for a relatively accurate reference.
About the contrast, everyone has different monitors,  the colors may not look the same. The contrast can be referred to physical colors like a RAL K7.
The colors are RAL 9004 and RAL 3003, an image of the 2 may be provided in the Future.
Also, the render color's have been rechecked. And i have re rendered them, the issue should be fixed, as well as the legibility. Thankyou all for pointing out the issue!

Vendors

AS: zFrontier
SEA: iLumkb
JP: Basekeys
      EU: MyKeyboard
        UK: Proto[Typist]
     NA: Vala Supply
          SA: Fancy Customs
    OCE: DailyClack
    CA: Desk[H]ero

Collaborations

Metal Artisans
Salvun
More

Aserofoundry
More

Rama

Artisans
shirouu.kaps(raffle:9th of July)
More

Sinpracaps(raffle:14th of July)
More

Raouein
Artkey(raffle:7th and 10th of July)
Dreadkeys
Hephaestos.caps

Coiled cables
Rocket Cables
Define Cables

Wristrest
Fingerskc
More

special ver. wristrest protos will be released soon...

Nutcracker
iLumKB

Sleeves
Mechfashion(Selling now!)
More

Pricing

to be updated...

Special Thanks

Thanks for all the support for making this set possible
Dr ratsby and those in 40% discord server for helping on 40s kitting
Konstantin, Pwade, for helping on the kitting
myself for renders(lol)
Rayhhdailo for ideas and quote helps
Noxary for providing 280 and Valhalla case files for renders
People who gave feedback and helped on the set
And all of you for having interest in this set!

Banner/Signature

For those of you who want to support the set, feel free to add this banner to your signature!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110235][img width=550 height=240]https://i.imgur.com/Vg9oCYy.png[/img][/url]

If GMK Higanbana somehow gets a R2, im gonna make this a novelty
Ya'll better buy it so i can convince vendors for R2 with the numbers lmao

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 September 2021, 08:12:36 by shenshendei »

Offline Shiba1337

Re: 【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花(ひがんばな)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:11:42 »
Reserved, I legally own this IC  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:13:23 by Shiba1337 »

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:13:47 »
Update logs:
[18-12-2020] (ひがんばな)deleted from title
[20-12-2020] Base Kit updates: alice support(B) added.
                     Alt Alpha kit(Latin alpha kit) added to Feedback form.     
                     As many have stated the Mod legends being hard to read, a FAQ section is added.       
[23-12-2020] Novelties kit name changed from Gokuraku(極楽) to Tensei(転生)
                     F13 Novelty added
                     Kit renders updated
                     Banner/signature updated
[24-12-2020] Some Board renders updated, They will be finished updating very soon
[09-01-2021] New Board renders, and a deskmat coming up
[09-01-2021] Vendors announced
                     Deskmats revealed
[23-03-2021] Color RAL 1012 has been changed to RAL 1021
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 March 2021, 07:34:54 by shenshendei »

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:32:35 »
Reversed

Offline mirubere

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:34:48 »
Desrever?
Anyways, congrats shenshen! GLWIC!

Offline Nathan_

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:36:25 »
Very pog Shenshen

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:39:21 »
GLWIC shen peepolove

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:48:43 »
The black on red of Mods is quite difficult to see imo. Both are dark color and don't really represent the "bloom" vibe for me. I get that the flower represents Dead and Separation so it get to be dark, but can you consider make the mods legend a little more contrast?

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 03:57:55 »
I told myself not to buy new keysets in 2021 but this set really tempts me to break my promise....

Offline scrps

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 06:34:21 »
hi shenshen

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 06:50:35 »
Mayo Naka on  red/burgundy board is :cheff-kiss:

GLWIC!

Offline cijanzen

【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花(ひがんばな)
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 07:25:25 »
Whoops it’s accidentally a low contrast GMK Samurai which to me is a shame because I can see a lot of effort was put into this. Maybe the contrast is intentional but then it doesn’t work well from a usability perspective.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:14:50 by cijanzen »

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:02:41 »
I'm so proud shenshen :peepolove: :peepolove:

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:04:14 »
I like this but I feel like there is a glare of sorts on the kit renders. Makes it kinda hard to see the colors and legends in them

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:57:53 »
Yay Shenshen! Super happy to see you in IC. Best of luck!

Offline tunb

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:24:22 »
Nice

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:39:34 »
Whoops it’s accidentally a low contrast GMK Samurai which to me is a shame because I can see a lot of effort was put into this. Maybe the contrast is intentional but then it doesn’t work well from a usability perspective.
At least shenshen's effort was actually recognized *sob*. Thanks for actually noticing instead of thinking its a copied set.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:54:32 »
At least shenshen's effort was actually recognized *sob*. Thanks for actually noticing instead of thinking its a copied set.
Yeah, I can see that this design was arrived at by your inspiration source but ultimately I think it ended up a little close to Samurai. And like a few others have commented, the contrast of red and black is a little low so the legends become illegible. A few tweaks perhaps and this can stand on its own a bit more with better contrast!

Offline Ram

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 11:35:57 »
pog hour,  GLWIC Shen!

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 11:35:10 »
The black on red of Mods is quite difficult to see imo. Both are dark color and don't really represent the "bloom" vibe for me. I get that the flower represents Dead and Separation so it get to be dark, but can you consider make the mods legend a little more contrast?
I've thought of making the mod legends having more contrast as well. since it would be more readable.
 But the thing is it is thought that this issue is due to its a digital render. When I got the samples. The readability would not be as bad.
Also, in terms of "viewing the keys". each keycap in the kit render is most likely to be smaller than the size an actual keycap.
Having pricing in consideration. adding an extra color for the mod legends would increase the price.

If I got the samples and it looks bad. I will definitely make changes. Not as a designers perspective. But viewing as a user of this keycap.
Thanks for your feedback man!

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 11:53:11 »
I've thought of making the mod legends having more contrast as well. since it would be more readable.
 But the thing is it is thought that this issue is due to its a digital render. When I got the samples. The readability would not be as bad.
Also, in terms of "viewing the keys". each keycap in the kit render is most likely to be smaller than the size an actual keycap.
Having pricing in consideration. adding an extra color for the mod legends would increase the price.

If I got the samples and it looks bad. I will definitely make changes. Not as a designers perspective. But viewing as a user of this keycap.
Actually that yellow color can be used for mod-egends imo. But then the vibe will change a bit, less dark and more "bloom".

Offline Bonsa

Re: 【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 12:08:32 »
gib alt alpha kit with only weeb legends or only normie legends.
Love the 40's kit in this one. Really dig the colors too :)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 15:48:26 »
Put extra B and F13 in base kit, remove it from spacebars. just because some people dont want to buy spacebar kits and they can use alice layout with the shifts
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline candravamsa

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 17:52:45 »
I really like the individual elements of this set but combined as a whole, all the different key colours and key legend colours don't vibe that well together IMHO.

3 different legend colours with 2 different keycap colours seem to clash a bit visually for me. Makes it a little difficult for my eyes to relax without having to consciously focus what the legends say.

Same thing to say about the novelties. Black and red legend novelties seem to get a little lost visually.

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 19:34:59 »
Since its my first design. I'm afraid that too many kits may not be a great idea. But if this set gains more views and people are requesting it, i'll make it a thing!
I will make a kit render of alt alphas shortly, and will be seen in the IC Feedback Form. Thanks for the suggestion!
Feel free to join discord to see the changes and updates!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 19:52:44 by shenshendei »

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 19:50:55 »
I really like the individual elements of this set but combined as a whole, all the different key colours and key legend colours don't vibe that well together IMHO.

3 different legend colours with 2 different keycap colours seem to clash a bit visually for me. Makes it a little difficult for my eyes to relax without having to consciously focus what the legends say.

Same thing to say about the novelties. Black and red legend novelties seem to get a little lost visually.

Considering some may not want yellow numrow, or even a clean, Red on Black layout. Alt Mods kit - Mayo Naka (真夜中) is created.

As for the novelties. Although it is possible to use black and red legend with the red an black legend novelites. But the reason of having black and Red legend novelties is to support those who have bought Alt Mods kit - Mayo Naka (真夜中). so they can enjoy the novelties, but still having a clean layout.

I have made some board renders using Alt Mods kit - Mayo Naka (真夜中) instead of red mods.(for example, the floating Noxary 280) Would be great if you could let me know how does that look to you.
Thanks for the comment!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 20:01:19 by shenshendei »

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 01:36:59 »

As mentioned earlier. I have made it a thing! here: Alt alpha kit

there will be updates in the IC Feedback Form as well!

Join the Discord server for updates!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2020, 02:18:49 by shenshendei »

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 12:04:37 »
nice Shenshen
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 14:37:05 »
The mixed alpha legend color is cool, might have to keep track of this.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Emasterbro

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 15:45:07 »
looks interesting; maybe gold instead of yellow? just a thought

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 20:42:55 »
This is my first time reading the story behind this set, I quite like it. I also appreciate the inclusion of the little myths about the flower. Good job for making a compelling IC post. Those board renders also look really good; GJ Frosteh.

Offline kight

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 01:57:11 »
Love how much thought you've put into the novelties, GLWIC shenshen!

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 03:02:01 »
looks interesting; maybe gold instead of yellow? just a thought

I've checked my RAL K7, and had a look at the yellows and gold(RAL 1036). I dn think its quite possible to use gold as the color. Although it may be cool to use gold(if possible)
But since the set still represents the flower, as it is an organism in nature. I dont think having a gold color would be accurate for Higanbana.
If the yellow is too bright, people's eyes may burn. If the yellow is too dark, it cannot act as a highlight. So i chose RAL 1012.
The idea of using Gold is cool tho, thanks for the suggestion!

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 12:58:49 »

Actually that yellow color can be used for mod-egends imo. But then the vibe will change a bit, less dark and more "bloom".
There is a concern that it might look simillar to a particular set.

As the anthers doesnt only go on top, it is indeed reasonable to have yellow mod legends. But according to the concern mentioned above. i'd see if theres other ways to bring out the legends clearly, thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2020, 13:06:22 by shenshendei »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 18:02:02 »
It was so awesome seeing you build this set up from the beginning, watching it take shape over time. I personally love how much love and attention you put into the story and themes; that alone makes me love this set already. The thought put into the novelties and having an intention into each key is just cherry on top.

While there are some similarities to other sets, I wouldn't let that stop you from continuing to pursue this idea. Many sets inadvertently share similarities especially in the beginning, so this isn't a unique thing you're experiencing. Through time and care, I'm sure you'll come up with ways for Higanbana to stand out from the rest.

Don't let small criticisms stop you from keep putting your heart into this set. I'm sure really great and beautiful things will come out of it!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2020, 18:04:20 by esclab »

Offline Bluecifer

• i enjoy building keyboards and asking questions
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 01:50:04 »
would sell both balls and a kidney for this

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 10:17:44 »
I like this but I feel like there is a glare of sorts on the kit renders. Makes it kinda hard to see the colors and legends in them

I'm fixing it currently! the kit renders will be updated soon!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2020, 11:17:13 by shenshendei »

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 11:17:09 »
GLWIC hi shenshen!!

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 07:32:59 »
As i have reviewed the colors. Some are not too accurate to the physical colors. The kit renders are now adjusted and fixed!
The Board renders will be re-rendered in the future

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:49:30 »
The mixed alpha legend color is cool, might have to keep track of this.

just to let you know. The IC Form has a section where u can provide your email. So i can remind those interested when a GB is out.
If you havent done the feedback form, check that out!

Offline JC_223

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 09:08:38 »
filled out the form. Such a clean set! GLWIC!

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 10:03:15 »
Great looking set! Super glad you went the way you did with the base kit where the yellow accents are in a separate kitting. filled out an IC form and will probably pick up a base kit. Are there any plans for a Deskmat? I feel like something by moshimoshibe on insta would make a fantastic deskmat for this set :thumb:
Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline Millionarc

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 17:04:26 »
make it katakana to **** with people

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 11:02:48 »
Happy new year! and some renders has slipped into IC. enjoy and stay tuned!

Offline tunb

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 07:52:02 »
how long to release ?

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 07:54:44 »
nice to see the yellow number row is back

Offline shenshendei

Re: 【IC】GMK Higanbana彼岸花 | With more renders!
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 03:07:32 »
It has been quite the struggle to do the deskmat or not.
And i'm here to tell you. Its gonna be born soon. In a form of painting!
stay tuned for more!

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 10:51:00 »
congrats on 13k views on ur first set shenshen! lets gooo :thumb:

Offline shenshendei

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 23:30:02 »
how long to release ?

Not yet confirmed. But I think it would be around july. So you guys can save up in the mean time. and I can refine GMK Higanbana a bit more :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 01:59:00 by shenshendei »

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 03:45:47 »
btw, I guess it is '花葉永不相見'? instead if '想見' ?