Author Topic: [IC] 03/07/23 Prototypes, Sound Test, Design Changes pf F13 TKL  (Read 15850 times)

Offline hayasaka

• No.
[IC] 03/07/23 Prototypes, Sound Test, Design Changes pf F13 TKL
« on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:46:36 »
Updated Post

Contents:
1. Introduction
2. Specifications
3. Simple Renders
4. Weight Design
5. Plate & Layouts
6. Prototypes
7. Links

Hello, late update due to... life happening, but excited to share these updates!

Specifications:
8 degree typing angle.
22mm front height (EKH = 24.5mm)
F13 TKL layout with ISO and tsangan support.
ESD protection through the C3 Unified Daughterboard
Centred USB-C
Adhesive Poron Gasket mount
OR
Sandwich O-Ring top mount (Subject to change to just be top mounted)
VIA compatibility

Hot-swap has now been added, standard ANSI layout.
PCB is designed by me, south-facing and will not have any RGB or LED support.

Planned Materials:
Aluminium 6063 (Top and Bottom)
Stainless Steel 303, Mirror Finish (Weight and Midsection)

Estimated Price: $500 - $600

Length: 364mm
Width: 138mm
Height (Highest Point): 40.7mm
Weight: ~2.6kg (~5.7lbs) not fully assembled

Top Bezel: 10mm
Side Bezels: 7.5mm
Bottom Bezel: 8.2mm

(Exploded SE Version shown, will not be in production)

Current Weight Design
This is the current weight design. What the current weight design will look like and the finish will be bead blasted: here.

Plate & Layouts

The current plan for plate materials will be: Brass, Aluminium, PC

Prototypes:

2 rounds of prototypes have finished, as there is an additional cost & waste to creating a new anodization pool for prototypes with custom colours anodization chips will be used to represent the custom colours. At this current moment, I have decided to commit to a blue and green variant, though red will be reconsidered in the near future.
(Left: picture from production, Right: picture from me)

Prototype 1 Images Gallery Here and Here

Prototype 2 Images Gallery Here (yet to be edited)
Visible difference from V1 and V2

Assembly midsection change (Top is previous, Bottom is new)

An SE proto has also been made, reviewed, and I have decided against in pursuing this variant.

MOQ will range from 300-500.

Sound Test:
It isn't the best of sound tests, but should be the gist of what it is. I will create a new and more consistent sound test in the near future.

Renders with all colors and metal combos here:
Brass
Stainless Steel

Required changes:
I will have to discuss the supplier for the carrying case, as the current mould is pretty tight and an incredibly snug fit. The change should allow for easier insert and removal of the board, and the addition of cloths if need-be.
Please comment and share! I am dedicated to make this keyboard the best it can be and would love to know your thoughts and opinions. :)

Collab(s):

I will be working with FJ Laboratories for the PCB production processes.

Links
All recent updates have gone through the discord.
Discord
Instagram 

Special thanks to Hadi (33c) and ai03 (atelier) discord's for making this possible.
Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114370.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/hMEutMo.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2023, 01:32:21 by hayasaka »

Offline hayasaka

• No.
Re: [IC] pf (pianoforte) TKL: A classy, 3-piece, screw-less design.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:47:30 »
    Update Log

27/08/2021
    • The main default look of the keyboard will change. The piano keys above the arrow cluster will go for now and to be replaced with an etching of the weight design.
    • The piano keys will still remain as an option if there is enough interest in it for an SE.
    • Pricing is an issue I've speculated from the beginning. I do not have specifics in pricing, but the best target pricing would most likely be $450-$550 range, although $500-$600 range seems more appropriate. I will be doing necessary design changes to reduce the overall cost.
    • There seems to be a trend within the IC form for people wanting Navy, I will be considering that.

29/08/2021
    I have made a few updates in my discord of changes and will be sharing them here.
    • I felt it would be a better opportunity for me and the community if the option for hot-swap were to be available. The hot-swap PCB has now been designed. Due to the mounting system of the case, several switches had to be rotated 180 degrees. Only the top row will be affected.
    • In the first update, I noted that the piano keys were to be replaced with an etching from the weight design. This is currently what it is with some additions.
      If you'd like for it to mirrored and on the left side, join the discord and let me know!
    • I will be working with FJ Laboratories with the PCB production process and perhaps the FR4 plates as well. Confirmation in the next update.

04/09/2021
    I have done quite a number of changes and will be sharing them here, scroll up to see the previous look.
    • I have noted comments regarding this design being a bit busy on the sides. After consideration, I've implemented the following changes with the noted feedback. Giving it a more subtle look, I've reduced the harsh cornering. This would also reduce the machining time. This will be the new default look:
      More
    • The piano keys has been removed and the previous etching has been replaced with a piano with raining notes. I have left an option in the new IC form for alternatives.
    • There were some people wondering about the WKL option. I've opted not to do WKL.
    • The piano logo has gone through a few changes. Violinist on GH stated that the piano etching was in the wrong orientation it has been mirrored and the logo's body has a curvature added to the body to reflect its cover. A small picture of what I mean.
    • FR4 plate has been designed.
    • Solder PCB and Hotswap PCB has been rewired for a slightly cleaner look
    • The previous IC form, it was stated that a red/burgundy and blue/navy colour options are preferred. New renders with the new design with these two colours and previous colours:
      More
    • Plate was incorrect by the enter key for ISO compatibility and has been fixed.
    • Mounting points in the mid section has been raised for easier access.
    • The original design with the harsher corners and piano keys will go with the SE version which I've received several interest in, this has yet to be confirmed I will make a new IC form.
    New IC Form regarding the new changes, colours, etc.
    New IC Form

• Discord invite link has been fixed

14/03/2022
    Pictures from the manufacturer and what is to be expected:

For the lastest updates, please join the discord!

[/list]
    « Last Edit: Mon, 14 March 2022, 18:13:57 by hayasaka »

Offline missterrical

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:52:48 »
    reserved

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
    « Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:53:07 »
    I love the design, scared for the price

Offline missterrical

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:59:37 »
    sad no wkl but i like
    « Last Edit: Sun, 10 October 2021, 18:00:13 by missterrical »

Offline Surefoot

Re: [IC] pf (pianoforte) F13 TKL: A classy, 3-piece, screw-less design.
    « Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:35:28 »
    Very nice profile ! Brass plate option would be nice too.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 07:14:10 »
    scared for the price
    I agree. This design is going to be very expensive to machine.
    The super-thin walls on the left and right edges of the mid piece may not be possible at all, but If they can be done, it’ll be pricey.
    The piano key design above the arrow cluster looks neat. But the bevel on the keys will be cost-prohibitive. Consider changing that to an etching, or removing the bevels.
    Also, just the general complexity of the design means more machine time, which means higher costs. You’ll need to bake-in as many optimizations as you can to get this design down to a price that people are willing to pay.

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 08:12:50 »
    This is amazing

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 09:00:23 »
    The board looks nice, but I can't really gather a solid opinion on this because of lack of prototypes. Have you quoted out to a manu, or have a target price for this in your mind?

Offline Udyrstruidor

• uga uga
    « Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 09:33:16 »
    I am in love with the design, please make it happen! If the price is on point I will surely get one
    Poseidon60 | GrayStudio Space65 R1 | Ikki68 Aurora | CannonKeys Bakeneko60 | Gok 7V | NotFromSam Samice | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Geonworks Frog TKL | FancyAlice | Aeboards Praxis R2 | HHKB Pro BT | Geonworks F2-84 | UTD 360C | Elongate | Realforce 87u | GrayStudio Space65 R3 | TGR Jane v2 ME | TGR x Singa Unikorn R2.2 | Singa Kohaku65 R1 | Cherry G80-1824HBU | Matrix 8xv 3.0 | CableCarDesigns Prophet | Daji Seis Cero

Offline hali

• hali.studio
    « Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 09:51:59 »
    absolutely ridiculous accent piece above the arrows

Offline Entity.

• Entity#1234
    « Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 09:56:48 »
    Love the design, I cant wait for this! :thumb:

Offline iaman

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:29:00 »
    Reason being: I don't believe it fits the theme of this board and I have never seen a RGB piano.
    smh

Offline Puddsy

• nice
    • * Elated Elder
    • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
    « Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:33:59 »
    looks expensive
    QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Rocket

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:58:15 »
    This board looks unique, special but expensive. I like it, designs above the arrow keys on TKL's are :chefkiss:
    « Last Edit: Wed, 08 September 2021, 04:38:24 by Rocket »

Offline .jan

• keebsta
    « Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 12:32:09 »
    reserved

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 13:46:07 »
    it looks unique butwayy too busy for me, reminds me of chinese gaming hardware on amazon without the rgb, not sure how expensive it will be but people seem to be saying it will be expensive
    Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline hayasaka

• No.
    « Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 16:02:55 »
    scared for the price
    I agree. This design is going to be very expensive to machine.
    The super-thin walls on the left and right edges of the mid piece may not be possible at all, but If they can be done, it’ll be pricey.
    The piano key design above the arrow cluster looks neat. But the bevel on the keys will be cost-prohibitive. Consider changing that to an etching, or removing the bevels.
    Also, just the general complexity of the design means more machine time, which means higher costs. You’ll need to bake-in as many optimizations as you can to get this design down to a price that people are willing to pay.

Hey, thanks for the concern. Upon designing this board, pricing was the number one issue I had in mind, this will be something I will be working on to minimize as much as possible. As such, the piano keys above the arrow clusters will go for now. The option will still remain if there is enough interest in it for an SE, however, in the mean time it will be replaced with an etching of the current design from the weight.

The thin walls on the side bezels were noted upon designing too. There is actually space between the outermost bezel to the inside, so it is thicker than it visually looks. However, it may not be enough and in the end I may have to increase bezel size. I have yet to discuss with manufacturers, I can only fully confirm necessary changes the moment I do.

Offline hayasaka

• No.
    « Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 16:08:03 »
    The board looks nice, but I can't really gather a solid opinion on this because of lack of prototypes. Have you quoted out to a manu, or have a target price for this in your mind?

Understandable, I have already considered a few design changes which will lower the price with an easier manufacturing process, which is why I have held off on prototypes. I have not yet gotten quotes from manu's yet, but the most realistic target pricing I believe, will be from the (USD) $500-$600 range. With the best bet of $450-$550. 

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 17:49:30 »
    I am in favor of changing the design above the arrow cluster. Is it possible to replace the design with an etched phrase "Maestro" (in fancy calligraphy font)?

Either way Im a sucker for TKLs so will definitely keep an eye on this.

Offline hayasaka

• No.
    « Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 19:25:41 »
    I am in favor of changing the design above the arrow cluster. Is it possible to replace the design with an etched phrase "Maestro" (in fancy calligraphy font)?

Either way Im a sucker for TKLs so will definitely keep an eye on this.

Interesting idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
    « Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 22:03:52 »
    this is super cool!  I'm also in favor of changing the arrow cluster design.  Maybe a crescendo symbol?  I do like your creativity with what you have, though!

Offline Old_Duck

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 14:40:25 »
    Maybe I'm just crazy, but I like how the white render looks flipped over. Imagine putting the switches on that side. The cascading style of cuts look classy, but is easily missed because it is on the underside. All that extra manufacturing CNC passes just to be hidden underneath. Bear with me a little longer, if you put switches on this side, then maybe replace the weight with wood trim such as ebony or mahogany. If you are going piano themed, may as well incorporate wood with a glossy finish right?
    « Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2021, 14:44:06 by Old_Duck »

Offline deex

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 19:11:27 »
    black and ss looks amazing god damn

Offline Violinist

Nice design! But as a musician I have to say that the free floating notes above the arrow cluster looks pretty silly. It takes away from the cool piano image and instead of a serious "homage" it seems like a souvenir item. Also, if you could add "presence" or "grandeur" by designing a grand piano instead of a "baby grand". Just my two cents.

Offline Violinist

Not to mention that the piano image is backwards, you cannot leave it as is! Friendly advice. I don't mean that the piano is just facing the wrong way, it is printed backwards. 

Offline HugoChowsky

F13 WK with hotswap? Count me in! Absolutely hate those WKL trend! WK is LIFE  :thumb:

Offline hayasaka

• No.
    Not to mention that the piano image is backwards, you cannot leave it as is! Friendly advice. I don't mean that the piano is just facing the wrong way, it is printed backwards.

Thanks for catching that cause I certainly didn't. I'll be changing it.

Offline sndb

F13 WK with hotswap? Count me in! Absolutely hate those WKL trend! WK is LIFE  :thumb:

Yeah, while it's entirely possible, completely overhauling the default desktop/WM navigation hotkeys in nearly every distro or window manager that exists, just to get rid of a key so a keyboard rarely seen by others looks a little different....

I don't mind and sometimes even use both software and hard key locks for meta if gaming, but I've used & read the i3/sway and other configs used by people on WKL daily drivers it's just irritating to move meta functionality to Alt and then remap Alt to ??? and so on and so on.

Offline Dinerenblanc

I like the concept, but its a bit overdesigned. The literal piano key silhouette above the arrow keys is a little too on the nose. When paying homage, you should aim to suggest, not simply imitate. Also, I'm not so sure about the all hard corners on its base. When i think of a grand piano, I see a spacious silhouette with exaggerated curves accentuated by hard angles. Your design is a bit cramped, with the curves being too understated, to the point where all the layering of hard angles became the focus, making it look more like a gamer aesthetic than anything. With that said, I look forward to revisions. It's a good idea.

Offline Garner

I'm all for unique and bold keyboard designs and just want to encourage you to stick to your design visions and not remove vital design elements only for the sake of cutting costs.

It's one thing to optimize the design to reduce the machining costs but it should not come at the cost of the design itself. If someone wants a more exotic designed keyboard they should expect to pay a bit more as well (within reasonable margins).

I don't think it's overdesigned, I think it's unique and makes a statement on the desk. Maybe not the most accurate design for a piano themed board in my opinion but since there already are plenty of minimalistic designs (similar-boards-with-different-weight-engravings-to-tell-them-apart) I just want you to keep up the creativity and keep thinking outside the box like you already are. :)  GL!

Offline hayasaka

• No.
    I like the concept, but its a bit overdesigned. The literal piano key silhouette above the arrow keys is a little too on the nose. When paying homage, you should aim to suggest, not simply imitate. Also, I'm not so sure about the all hard corners on its base. When i think of a grand piano, I see a spacious silhouette with exaggerated curves accentuated by hard angles. Your design is a bit cramped, with the curves being too understated, to the point where all the layering of hard angles became the focus, making it look more like a gamer aesthetic than anything. With that said, I look forward to revisions. It's a good idea.
    This has been noted and changes have been made listed in the update log.

Offline Violinist

Re: [IC] UPDATE: DESIGN CHANGES, update log, new IC form. pf F13 TKL
    « Reply #33 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 14:38:28 »
    The changes look nice! I admire you for taking constructive criticism so well : )  :thumb:

Offline YTI

• The Immortal
    Re: [IC] 14/03/22 Brass + New Colour Updates, Design Changes pf F13 TKL
    « Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 15:43:58 »
    Lovely.

Offline milka158

Re: [IC] 14/03/22 Brass + New Colour Updates, Design Changes pf F13 TKL
    « Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 15:50:01 »
    very nice