Author Topic: Just bought FC980C Black and keycaps are starting to shine after ... 1 week?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline NickPham

Hello guys, I just bought FC980C (Black on Black) and the typing feel is amazing. But there's an issue with the keycaps, they are starting to shine, I keep my hand clean before using the keyboard and even have my sanitizing gel bottle next to me but the keycaps still shine (it's like a little greasy/oily on the keycaps) ... I did a light clean by using damp microfiber and warm water but the grease/oily is still there. Does cleaning too much will remove the matte of the keycaps so they are easily to get greasy/oily? Should I just leave it there and light clean regularly? :( Cannot believe a $300 keyboard has shining keycaps after 1 week... :(

Offline rinkaan

it depends on the keycap material, abs inevitably shine after prolong used, but PBT resists longer.
but not sure if hand sanitizer is speeding the process, because even cheap taihao 20dollar keycaps last at least a month before shining (without using hand sanitizer)

Offline rinkaan

i checked online and it say pbt, altho i dont use it right now, i recall my old sets lasting alot longer against shine (but it turns yellow due to UV exposure much faster)
surprised to hear that ur keycaps shined in a week of use...

Offline NickPham

i checked online and it say pbt, altho i dont use it right now, i recall my old sets lasting alot longer against shine (but it turns yellow due to UV exposure much faster)

Hmm... maybe I would stop using sanitizer when typing on the keyboard, really annoyed when looking shined keycaps on expensive keyboard. Maybe I should leave them be....

Offline Polymer

Hmm... maybe I would stop using sanitizer when typing on the keyboard, really annoyed when looking shined keycaps on expensive keyboard. Maybe I should leave them be....

Are you waiting for the hand sanitizer to completely dry before typing?   You're likely leaving aloe gel on the keycaps and that is causing the shine.

They're PBT keycaps so the shine, unfortunately, is caused by what you're doing with it..which sounds like the hand sanitizer...