Author Topic: Getting about four controllers  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Getting about four controllers
« on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:10:08 »
I am planning to plug in my home laptop into my television so that way i can emulate games .

In case four players or young kids come over my plan is to have controllers on hand. Any ideas?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Getting about four controllers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:28:47 »
I really like the XBox Elite controller. It's premium parts and works perfectly on every device I've ever paired it with.
and I'm not being partial because I helped develop it, I bought 2 on my own

Also the Retrobit PC Saturn controllers are fantastic, the Saturn controller was already great and now you can use it on anything. The Switch Pro controller is really nice feeling, but it has issues playing well w/ non Nintendo devices and requires some tweaking on the user end.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:34:44 »
I've had success with 8bitdo's controllers. They come in a lot of different styles and sizes (and price points), and most are both bluetooth and wired connections.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 17:56:45 »
I really like the XBox Elite controller. It's premium parts and works perfectly on every device I've ever paired it with.

4x xbelite controllers.. $$$$$$

IMHO, the logitech F710 or F310 are the best supported pc controllers on the market.

And it's logitech, so you know their software works, and their output is compatible with standard Xinput,  and all games using the Xbox control interface.

Most importantly, the Logitech D-Pad is really good, better than the regular xbox controller by miles.

Even the xbox elite d pad is just meh..

F310 have gone as low as $10 a piece during holiday
F710 as low as $25 a piece

Rightnow, it's $17 for the F310, $39 for F710

4x 17 = $ 68
4x 39 = $ 156

4x xbox elite 173 = $ 692

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:44:03 »
I had this sort of setup on my front living room T.V. and a Linux box back in the day.

4 xbox 360 controllers did the job quite well for SNES, N64, and playstation 2. (Could never get Playstation working well.)

I didn't care for it much on Sega, and it felt wrong with NES. But this may be a personal thing, since I used those controllers in their heyday.

I would imagine that modern Xbox one controllers would probably work with minimal hassle.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 03:02:11 »
I really like the XBox Elite controller.
Bwaaa haa haa.. We are not all made of money.

@tp4tissue If you can't type × on your keyboard, the * character is a better substitute than a letter.

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 03:22:28 »
if wires are not an issue, and if they can still be found cheap where you live, and you were a play station kid, ps2 controllers with an adapter are great, you would need 2 adapters to get 4 controllers but i have never tried this use case. i use a cheap adapter from ebay and it seems to emulate xbox controllers (although it seems that some buttons may not be mapped in some games).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 05:32:18 »
I had this sort of setup on my front living room T.V. and a Linux box back in the day.

4 xbox 360 controllers did the job quite well for SNES, N64, and playstation 2. (Could never get Playstation working well.)

I didn't care for it much on Sega, and it felt wrong with NES. But this may be a personal thing, since I used those controllers in their heyday.

I would imagine that modern Xbox one controllers would probably work with minimal hassle.

Thank you

Thing is these are very young kids

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 09:18:06 »
Not sur X360 controllers are a good way to go, cuz the dpad is awful.

This is important for emulation of old gen, a good dpad.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 09:21:21 »
if wires are not an issue, and if they can still be found cheap where you live, and you were a play station kid, ps2 controllers with an adapter are great, you would need 2 adapters to get 4 controllers but i have never tried this use case. i use a cheap adapter from ebay and it seems to emulate xbox controllers (although it seems that some buttons may not be mapped in some games).

According to peeps @ dustloop forums, these adapters are hit/miss for latency+polling rate.

Buhhh.. it's only gonna matter for dustlooping, nothing else.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 15:32:49 »

I always tried to pitch the idea of an XBO controller with the 360s bumper buttons and microswitches in the stick. That would be my optimal controller.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 07:47:10 »

According to peeps @ dustloop forums, these adapters are hit/miss for latency+polling rate.

Buhhh.. it's only gonna matter for dustlooping, nothing else.

i only got a sample of 1 so mine works but that does not mean that it represent the majority of them, altho peoples are usually much more vocal about something when it does not work and much more silent when it does, but cheap is not usually the most reliable (most expensive isn't either)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 05:28:57 »

I always tried to pitch the idea of an XBO controller with the 360s bumper buttons and microswitches in the stick. That would be my optimal controller.

Two joysticks would be optimal for playing twin stick shooters and platformers, young kids will be using this.

Thinking of getting an 8BitDo Sn30 Pro to play Smash TV since it's a twin stick.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 16:16:45 »
Have you played around with EmulationStation/RetroPie? They seem to make peripheral swapping as painless as possible. You could literally have usb NES controllers, SNES controllers, etc, all depending on the platform you're emulating.

and I'm not being partial because I helped develop it, I bought 2 on my own

Also the Retrobit PC Saturn controllers are fantastic, the Saturn controller was already great and now you can use it on anything. The Switch Pro controller is really nice feeling, but it has issues playing well w/ non Nintendo devices and requires some tweaking on the user end.

You helped develop that cash grab? They're nice controllers regardless. Personally, I don't see where the money goes though. Regular XB1 controllers are good enough, certainly a nice leap past even the launch 360 controllers with those buttery smooth triggers and further refined ergonomics.

4x xbelite controllers.. $$$$$$

IMHO, the logitech F710 or F310 are the best supported pc controllers on the market.

And it's logitech, so you know their software works, and their output is compatible with standard Xinput,  and all games using the Xbox control interface.

Most importantly, the Logitech D-Pad is really good, better than the regular xbox controller by miles.

Even the xbox elite d pad is just meh..

F310 have gone as low as $10 a piece during holiday
F710 as low as $25 a piece

Rightnow, it's $17 for the F310, $39 for F710

4x 17 = $ 68
4x 39 = $ 156

4x xbox elite 173 = $ 692

Those old relics? They still sell them new? I see them in piles at Goodwills for $2-3 all of the time. I think I picked one up once. They work natively with games that support the 360/XB1 controllers? That ancient Playstation stick layout isn't ideal for anything that's not heavy on the D-pad though. It always seemed to me that the DualShock controller was a deliberate design compromise that gave an edge to traditional JRPGs over modern 3d platformers, shooters, etc. I would have to dig the one I did get out to see if the triggers/bumpers suck as badly as on the old DualShocks.

I say all of this having gone from the N64 controller directly to the DualShock with the PS2 and thinking it was the second coming of Christ at the time, subsequently regressing to the disaster that was the GC controller, and eventually following the Xbox controller line from OG to present. I respect the old PS controllers (not the PS4 controller, that thing sucks hard), but I can't see myself going back to use one more than every once in a while.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 06:55:30 »
I like the look of 8BitDo SN30 Pro+.
Looks pretty versatile as well.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::