Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Superstar | GEEKKEY Collab | GB starts TOMORROW Feb 12!  (Read 52370 times)

Offline marshmellohs

[IC] ePBT Superstar | GEEKKEY Collab | GB starts TOMORROW Feb 12!
« on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:29:18 »

Group Buy: February 12th - March 12, 2022
GB Thread

Estimated delivery from ePBT is Q1 2023.

ePBT Superstar is inspired by one of my favorite video game monsters. The novelties pay homage to the game and elements of a true musical superstar. Hangul sublegends are included to reference the game’s Korean origin.

Interest Check Form | Discord for Updates

Colors:
Pantone color codes will be shared after the group buy ends - below is a photo of the plastic chips.
I took a lot of time after the initial IC to reassess the colors and overall legibility. Latin alphas are now a slightly darker shade of pink than the modifiers.
More
Click to expand image.

Kits:
Click for larger images.

$99 - BASE KIT - 200 MOQ

$33 - LATIN ALPHAS

$22 - NUMPAD

$28 - NOVELTIES

$34 - 40s

$20 - SPACEBARS

Renders by Izeri:
Click for larger images

Calliope by Yoot

Aella by Alchemist Keyboards

Austin by DriftMechanics

$20 -Deskmat by Phil Dragash:

Vendors
NA: Mekibo
CA: Ashkeebs
EU: MyKeyboard
KR: Swagkeys
OCE: SwitchKeys
SEA: iLumkb
UK: Proto[Typist]
Global: KBDfans

Pricing

Pricing is current as of 1/25/2022. If you don't see your vendor, it just means I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Collabs

Hibi x ePBT Superstar

More

Melonkeys x ePBT Superstar

Namong Art x ePBT Superstar

GEEKKEEY x ePBT Superstar

More

Aumipon
GEEKKEEY
Kiyokaps
Latrialum
Namong Art
Melonkeys
Okeydokey Studio

If you are interested in a collaboration with Superstar, please feel free to drop me a DM on Discord! marshmellohs#3648

Signature

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111190.0][img width=331 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/SmYm4tm.png[/img][/url]

Thank Yous (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
You for making it all the way here
Alan, Sen, Snowed, Izeri, Tom, Jenni

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 12:11:37 by marshmellohs »

Offline marshmellohs

Re: [IC] ePBT Superstar
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:29:41 »
CHANGELOG
More
1/4:
  • Updated renders to remove double consonants

1/3:
  • SEA Vendor added
  • Artisan collabs

12/30: Honestly all new everything
  • Updated manu, vendors announced
  • New colors, new kits, new deskmat, updated novelties

2/23:
  • Base Kit: +F13, +Mod R1 Keys in F-Row
  • Novelties: +4 1U Novelties, +Accent R1 Keys (Swapped from OG Base)
  • Latin Alpha Kit: Added
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 January 2022, 19:11:52 by marshmellohs »

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
Re: [IC] GMK Superstar
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:31:54 »
tasty

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:32:42 »
I love pink bean and pink bean accessories

Offline trung11.kb

• Formerly tomkatsuuu
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:33:35 »
B>MAPLE THEME KEYCAPS SET@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline Buburoo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:33:55 »
Noice  :thumb:

Offline Paputcher

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:41:54 »
I will keep my eye on this, GLWIC!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:44:36 »
noice color choices
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline jaxball30

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:47:24 »
Look amazing <3  :thumb:

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:49:16 »
Cute

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 16:00:22 »
Price is the only thing that concerns me, awesome job and GLWIC!!  :D

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 16:25:04 »
Cute set, I feel like the accents are a little too bold against the white and soft pastel pink but maybe that's just me

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 16:38:55 »
we love ePBT Dreamscape don't we folks

Offline tsoiab10

• Howdy :^]
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 17:02:45 »
we love ePBT Dreamscape don't we folks

what? xD

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 17:25:22 »
i think its cute, but im probably not the only one that doesnt enjoy not having mod coloured f5-f8, print, scroll, and pause in base

Offline eigenzerg

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:07:55 »
Adorable colors, would insta-buy. I think the pink on white alphas are a little too soft, but I'm fine with the rest of the color choices

Offline misswaffle

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 19:58:10 »
Theme and pink colour are super cute! Not a fan of blue accent coloured F5-F8 and above nav cluster keys in base at all though.

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 20:56:31 »
I think alpha legend should be Violet.
Indeed can't see those legends well

Offline Tree_

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:02:55 »
Nice colours and kitting. I like the pink legends.

Don't really care for the theme though and would rather see Latin only Alphas or at least a separate kit.

Offline Ireris

• p a i n
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:06:58 »
Super cute, GLWIC!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:32:10 »
Nice colours and kitting. I like the pink legends.

Don't really care for the theme though and would rather see Latin only Alphas or at least a separate kit.

I am highly considering including a Latin Alphas kit already! If there is healthy interest shown in the IC form data, I'll likely add that in.

i think its cute, but im probably not the only one that doesnt enjoy not having mod coloured f5-f8, print, scroll, and pause in base

Theme and pink colour are super cute! Not a fan of blue accent coloured F5-F8 and above nav cluster keys in base at all though.

To keep with the theme, I decided to have those keys be accent colored to represent Pink Bean's horns. I don't have plans to swap the accent keys with the mod keys into novelties because then it no longer feels like Pink Bean.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:36:14 »
Thank god it's not that chick that likes to sniff her arm pits, worst SNL character ever.

Offline Peko

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 23:11:06 »
Has Nexon approved the novelty kit?

Offline Ravenoxidal

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 09:43:25 »
Really like the colors of this set, so soft. Not really liking the accent tho, think it's too strong.

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 10:49:23 »
Has Nexon approved the novelty kit?

While I have not reached out to Nexon on this set, I believe that my interpretations of the OwO and angry OwO faces fall under fair use. The official art and merchandise of Pink Bean have distinct differences from my inspired novelty designs, and everything was drawn without the use of tracing.

That being said, I have thought about this topic quite extensively and what options I would feel comfortable with moving forward with as the designer. While I love the novelties that I've created, I also think the colorway is strong enough on its own and is unique to run as-is without novelties.

I am also open to amending the novelties to create further differentiation from Nexon's artwork. My original draft of the novelties did not have the "point" over the right eye, which is the only thing separating it from a generic "OwO" face. I do still think that the faces themselves are cute enough that removing the point does not take away from the appeal.

The other novelties are all wholly original, so I do not believe that there's much discussion to be had there. I've spent time researching the trademarks registered to Nexon Korea and Nexon America online, and while I only see registrations and documentation for "MapleStory" and its subsequent logos, I believe that my renditions of the novelties are not in violation of any IP or trademark infringement.

Offline iluvdylan123

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 11:19:35 »
omg maplestory nostalgia!! love this set, GLWIC

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:50:08 »
Would appreciate pink R1 Fkeys and Mods be part of the main kit instead of separating it from the base.
Accents on the other hand would be better on the novelties kits.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:54:36 »
sublegends has me in

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 07:03:40 »
Would also love to see plain latin alphas for a cleaner look! Lovely set but also not too thrilled about the pink R1 keys being in the novelties set despite every other purple key having an alternate pink version in the base kit.

If the pink R1 keys make their way into the base kit, we see some UK ISO keycaps (not just enter!! no point in having ISO enter and none of the keys to make the layout work) and this gets a UK vendor I'd be interested in getting in on this set  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2021, 13:55:27 by Faehriss »
church of the POM keeb

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 07:05:53 »
i want pink bean

Offline catamscott

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 10:04:16 »
HAVE MONEY LOOKING FOR KEYSET
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

in all seriousness, i like this quite a bit. reminds me a bit of dcs valentine but with (imo) a better pink and hangul sublegends. with good colors and plenty of nostalgia it's going to be hard to say no to this
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2021, 10:20:41 by catamscott »

Offline WilsonWan

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 11:15:12 »
Really liking  this set for the Korean sublegends.

Won't say it reminds me of Maple Story tho besides the novelties.

Will you considering running this with a UK vendor also?

Buying from EU vendor is the same as importing now unfortunately.

I recommend contacting Prototypist for it!

Offline surreal19

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 14:10:26 »
take my money!

Offline Avocadough

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 08:02:16 »
An F1-F13 novelty kit with face emotes similar to those in maple would be insane, although not sure how practical that would be.

Offline JayOrDan

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:07:33 »
i love these!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 22:33:54 »
An F1-F13 novelty kit with face emotes similar to those in maple would be insane, although not sure how practical that would be.

I saw this suggestion in my IC form, and I'm considering how to implement some version of this. It would likely only be F1-F4 because it's a complete "group" in the F-Row... but as a frequent F5 and F6 abuser, I'd be sad to not include them. I'm also not sure the best way to implement these as I can't decide if they should follow mod coloring, accent coloring, or alpha coloring...

There are a few other novelties that I'll be adding overall - but once I've finished the latest addition to the novelties, I'm going to reach out to Nexon directly regarding the novelties and set as a whole.

After reviewing IP woes with White Wolf, Blink, and most recently Devoted, I'm hoping to clear this hurdle while I'm still in IC rather than having it happen during GB and vendors having to refund money or a GB slot being jeopardized. It'll be best for all parties involved if I get told that novelties have to get cut sooner rather than later (but I'm hopeful that the inspired novs are good to go).
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2021, 22:36:24 by marshmellohs »

Offline Rx003

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 02:43:33 »
Yes more love for Hangul sub legends!! I love the colors imma keep this as saved for now. Wish you all the best for the IC!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 22:19:48 »
imo there could be some borderline issues with readability just judging off the renders, but if you've checked your pantones and it's fine then looks good.

no comments on kitting, but please continue to render your sets on Bachoo's Nemui.

Offline Honey

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 10:10:13 »
pls include f6.
also buying 60% gfa pls ty

Offline tofulo

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 12:12:27 »
I love pink

Offline CardinalityTV

• CardinalDesign Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 13:28:43 »
Echo the same sentiments as the others who have pointed out the legibility of the legends is very difficult, judging from the renders anyway.

Offline marshmellohs

Re: [IC] GMK Superstar | KIT UPDATES 2/23/2021
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 18:06:45 »
٩(◕‿◕。)۶ KITS HAVE BEEN UPDATED IN THE OP ٩(◕‿◕。)۶

The accent-colored R1 keys in the F-Row have now been swapped into the novelties kit due to popular demand. I've also added several more general MapleStory-inspired novelties into the kit as well as renders for a Latin Alphas kit. The renders for the Evolv have also been updated to display the Latin Alphas kit, updated F-Row in base, and one of the new R4 1U novelties.

On the subject of novelties, I have been in direct contact with a representative of Nexon on the kit. My hope is that we can get clearance on the novelties kit to comply with GMK's new policies for IP-inspired sets. This is a hurdle that I want to clear prior to securing vendors and a GB slot, so we know sooner rather than later whether novelties have to be modified or cut.

On the subject of legibility concerns on the legends, I wanted to include a few IRL pics of the RAL swatch and comparisons against WS2 and WS1 (included because this is the more popular GMK stock white that you're more likely to own and can reference against).

More
Click to expand images

(Thank you to Bachoo for providing me with the WS2 comparison photos as the sample cap I ordered from someone's GMK Bleached kit is currently being held hostage by USPS)

While the pink is still considered a "light" pink rather than a "dark" pink, I like the soft look that it lends to the set overall. I do acknowledge that the renders lean bright, but please keep in mind that render lighting != your typical, everyday lighting. 020 80 20 looks even darker when I move the swatch book away from the window to my desk, so the contrast with WS2 is sufficient in my opinion. 

At the end of the day, it was always going to be a pink on white set, and I always intended it to be soft in nature. I do appreciate everyone's feedback and have been reading through each comment on here, Reddit, and my IC form responses thoroughly, so thank you again for reading ♡(。- ω -)

Offline CardinalityTV

• CardinalDesign Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 18:50:26 »
While the pink is still considered a "light" pink rather than a "dark" pink, I like the soft look that it lends to the set overall. I do acknowledge that the renders lean bright, but please keep in mind that render lighting != your typical, everyday lighting. 020 80 20 looks even darker when I move the swatch book away from the window to my desk, so the contrast with WS2 is sufficient in my opinion. 

I don't mean to be condescending with my response here, so I apologize if it comes across that way. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "render lighting". Your render should be a representation of what the final product is going to look like in customer's hands, because you don't have/cannot get a prototype produced to show a physical picture of the colour. If your render doesn't accurately show how the colours should look in the real-world, the render is wrong. The IRL pics of your RAL reference alongside WS1 & WS2 is fantastic, but "render lighting" is anything you want it to be. If you think the render isn't accurately portraying the colours you've chosen, then it might be worth looking at them again to see if a more accurate representation can be achieved.

Aside from that, I think your colour combo is lovely and good luck with the project!

Offline Kura

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 19:08:07 »
Have you considered doing this in another style like KAT, KAM, etc? I love the colors of this but would rather have the PBT caps. Definitely would buy if you did, GLWIC!

Offline Hiel

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 20:00:25 »
Hope there is no copyright issue on this.
I remember that gmk blackpink had copyright issue and it was canceled for good..

Offline Jennisaurus

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 20:29:48 »
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Pink ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ The novelties are super cute! GLWIC~

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 20:54:46 »
I disagree with the folks saying the pink legends are too soft. I think the base kit render makes them look like that maybe, but the board renders and final product will be fine.

Offline Honey

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 07:36:54 »
if you're worried about not being able to fill out the frow with face expressions, you could use the cash shop expressions for f8-12 : D

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 19:46:43 »
Have you considered doing this in another style like KAT, KAM, etc? I love the colors of this but would rather have the PBT caps. Definitely would buy if you did, GLWIC!

Not at this time. If all goes well with this IC/GB, then I may be open to other profiles in the future. I first need to get my hands on a KAT/KAM set though to see if I personally like the profile.

if you're worried about not being able to fill out the frow with face expressions, you could use the cash shop expressions for f8-12 : D

With all the monster novelties, it'd probably be too expensive of a kit with that many unique molds.

If Nexon feels that the monster novelties are infringing on IP, then I'll rework the novelties kit to have facial expressions instead as a Plan B since they're basically just emoticons. The monster novelties are definitely my preferred choice though.

Hope there is no copyright issue on this.
I remember that gmk blackpink had copyright issue and it was canceled for good..

Yes, this is why I've reached out to a direct representative of Nexon directly to help navigate this with their legal team early in the process. There is still time in IC to make changes to designs and modify the kits, but once a GB has started or even scheduled, any postponing event creates backlog for vendors, buyers, and any collabs involved. I want to avoid this headache for all involved parties.

I'll keep everyone updated with any news as it comes in. In the meantime, the deskmat design should be finalized fairly soon :)

Offline Vegas_

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 08:32:44 »
super stoked for this set!! love the maplestory theme and huge fan of the colors you've chosen, gonna be keeping a keen eye out for any updates :thumb: