Author Topic: Lubing a pre-assembled board  (Read 5939 times)

Offline click-clack-paddywhack

Lubing a pre-assembled board
« on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 00:56:08 »
Hello! Like the title stated, I bought a 60% Tofu pre-assembled keyboard from KBDFans: https://kbdfans.com/products/fully-assembled-tofu-60-keyboard?variant=28985654345776
as well as some lube to go with my NKCream Switches. I was wondering if I could still properly lube the switches without having to desolder them.

I saw a video like this on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT4BZ7477RM.

Appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Lubing a pre-assembled board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 01:30:55 »
i didn't buy a preassembled tofu but i have the tofu hhkb and it came with a hotswap pcb, which means you can take the switches out without desoldering them. i imagine they all use the same pcb but you can probably check the bottom of the pcb. if the switch legs are soldered, you're out of luck. but if they have hotswap sockets you should be able to pop those suckers out pretty easily.
i did see a comment reply from kbdfans on the link you shared that said the switches are NOT hotswappable, however. so you might have to break out the iron.
this is what the hotswap sockets look like on the bottom of the pcb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 01:32:57 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 03:19:50 »
i didn't buy a preassembled tofu but i have the tofu hhkb and it came with a hotswap pcb, which means you can take the switches out without desoldering them. i imagine they all use the same pcb but you can probably check the bottom of the pcb. if the switch legs are soldered, you're out of luck. but if they have hotswap sockets you should be able to pop those suckers out pretty easily.
i did see a comment reply from kbdfans on the link you shared that said the switches are NOT hotswappable, however. so you might have to break out the iron.
Show Image

If you read the product page its the DZ60 soldered PCB not the hotswap version.  In my opinion if you are gonna lube switches you have to desolder them. I have seen videos people injecting lubrication trough the top of the switch. Man that **** makes me cringe you are putting way to much lube in and it will be inconsistent and you don't lube all the parts so its half lubed. The pole and the hole stay unlubed for a big part. These videos are meant for people who don't really want to go into the hobby and take the easy routes for what ever reason.

If you want it consistently lubed and not overlubed with the wrong lubrication yes desoldering would be necessary. But if you don't care about the long term feeling of your keyboard you can lube like the new kids do these days injecting lube from the top.... :-\

TLDR

Desoldering and opening switches lightly lubing all the parts = Good way of lubing

Injecting lube trough the top is overlubed,Not the greatest lube, not consistently lubed = Bad way of lubing

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 03:24:32 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline click-clack-paddywhack

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 03:22:34 »
Show Image

Thanks for the in-depth response on what I may possibly expect! I'll sit tight for now and wait for the board to come!

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 07:02:57 »
Yeah never spray lube. Creams do benefit from extended use, making them much smoother as you use the board. If you use it for a while which should improve smoothness, that's what I did to my batch of creams and it made it much smoother than if I just used lubed them straight out of the box. The only other advice I can give you is that maybe someone you know can desolder/resolder it for you, just make sure they use leaded solder as it would be easier to desolder again if needed.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 15:55:25 »
I was wondering if I could still properly lube the switches without having to desolder them.
I saw a video like this on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT4BZ7477RM.
Appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Being new you can sort of lube through the top, but it's not preferable. Still preferable to spray lube.

Spray lube is bad.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108287.0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion