Author Topic: Personality Types / Psychology - anyone else HSP?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Voixdelion

Personality Types / Psychology - anyone else HSP?
« on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:42:58 »
Now I mentioned in previous threads about a certain kinship here that went beyond input devices and general geekiness and also that I wondered if there were any prevailing majority of personality type similarity that might shed some light on the kind of thinking I see here. Recently I had another friend (my Mensa dancer buddy, actually) who asked me something similar and then shortly afterwards stumbled upon something that was totally new to me, yet extraordinarily apt in describing me, and apparently it is a GENETIC trait , found across approximately 15-20% of people AND animal species. It is known as Hyper-sensitive or Highly Senstive Persons - or HSP's for short. Some have adopted the understanding of the group as "empaths" - but I thinkthat may be only one facet of the tendency towards overexcitibility to stimuli - this concept of empathy talked about here: [video=youtube;l7AWnfFRc7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g [/video]
Now the reason I thought of Geekhack was largely due to the HSP community being mostly categorized as Intravert - only about 15-20% of HSPs are usually Extravert personality types - and this surprised me to learn that my friend was also in the Intravert category and showed similar results to many of the types posted on this forum a while back. I was in the minority then too. With such strong parallels in another number of subtle ways, I began to wonder if that might be a more definitive similarity in the this HSP grouping, and if so would that be utterly fascinating to study?

Apparently, Einstein, DaVinci, and other similarly unusual minds also fall in this category. Einstein's brain was actually studied in conjunction with a comparison of brain mass and neural pathway differences in males and females. They found that there were differences in the way that each gender processed information as evidenced by which side of the brain each tended to show more activity on. The most telling part of the study, though, was that despite Einstein having a smaller brain than the average male, he had neural pathways laid out in similar pattern to BOTH genders, effectively twice as many as the average male or female. This was interpreted as indicating that men and women simply had different ways of arriving at the same information, and that neither gender was smarter than the other and that brain mass had much less to do with intelligence than the number of pathways in that mass. Einstein's brilliance was due primarily to the ability to arrive at the same information via varied means of thinking. I suspect that this discovery is linked to the ideas presented in the wiki pages which talk about the genetic tendency towards hypersensitivity There is a correlation between the HSP trait and the idea of being exceptionally bright or "gifted," such that not all HSP's are necessarily "gifted", but that all "gifted" individuals are certainly HSP's. Check out these links and see what you think. The wiki articles cover the technical scienc-y bits concerning psychology and personality development, while the others are more "person-y" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overexcitability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Disintegration

From this I gathered that the genetic trait is a tendency towards higher reaction to stimulus on a phsiological level than the clear majority of the population - sort of like a built in amplifier in the central nervous system that turns up the volume on anything input which means that HSPs end up developing in response to this in a few possible predictable fashions, largely depending upon the atmosphere surrounding the child during the early developmental stages. What I found interesting was that HSP's were all primarily notably careful or thorough or investigative thinkers, my guess because we understand at an early stage that consequences can be avoided by planning and looking before you leap since we are likely to feel the pain more acutely if we leap wrong.
Here's some of the fuzzier links:

http://healing.about.com/cs/empathic/a/uc_empathtraits.htm
http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/plightofempath.htm
http://www.sensitiveperson.com/attribts.htm
http://innerreflections.homestead.com/hspmain.html
http://omtimes.com/2011/09/understanding-the-highly-sensitive-person/
[video=youtube;04gnoReKgD4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gnoReKgD4[/video]
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8945.html

At any rate, an intriguing theory even if it is utter hogwash.

Thoughts? Any one else fit this decscription?
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:22:04 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:45:50 »
Here's how I explained it to my dad when he expressed some cynicism at the idea that my Grandfather could be described as "sensititve" :

It doesn't mean necessarily personal sensitivity in terms of empathy or "feelings," (but that can be one part of how it manifests depending upon whether the personality develops to tune that  specific signal type in or out in order to manage it better).

From what I gathered of the science part:  Its the predisposition or  tendency towards "overexcitablity" due to heightened reaction on a physiological level to stimuli in general - for example: finding the noise and chaos of large crowds uncomfortable or being more easily disturbed by incessant ringing of the telephone or dogs barking or finding things overwhelming when things are not within their control.  Personally I have always had a particular dislike for things like shopping at large warehouse stores like Costco or crowded supermarkets like Fedco with Mom as a kid.  And very little tolerance for audio irritants in particular; helicopters that circle for longer than a minute or so, high-pitched electrical whine or constant but inconsistent buzzing of flourescent lighting, the noise of someone vaccuuming, or even "white noise" from a filter or fan can make me downright irascible if it goes on too long or I get tired of trying to tune it out, even when no one else is around.  

To me, such a thing makes an otherwise relaxing and calm environment feel uncomfortably  "busy."  I feel actual relief when I turn off an air-conditioner or noisy appliance where most people wouldn't have noticed a difference it the atmosphere at all.   When I built my computer "RoarCore"  (so dubbed for the Leo aesthetic scheme), I used silicone bumpers between the case and the fans and each screw to cut down on the vibration noise because it actually makes me so tense.  RC is notably quieter than my VAIO despite having at least 4 or 5 addtional fans in the case.  (Much more pleasant to use for the simple reason that I can hear people talking to me while its on.)

Its the predisposition to become overwhelmed in that manner  which is apparently  genetically part of the central nervous system wiring.  I sort of imagine you could liken it to buying a stereo head unit: most require an external additional amp to get a higher quality sound output, whereas some units might contain a booster inherent in the original hardware - like a signal pre-amplifier - that can wire direct to the speakers without requiring the additional external signal amplification or separate power source.  Instead of amplifying sound output, the gene instead serves an amplifier for any stimuli that is input. Supposedly, you could measure this by brain wave reaction (or like a lie detector which measures the physiological responses by electrical current) and see that any stimuli, such as ambient noise level, or exposure to graphically violent images would result in a higher frequency or level of activity in HSP's  nervous system when compared with those non-HSP reactions to the exact same stimuli. In order to match the same nerve signal output in non-HSP's, you would have to "crank up the volume" on the noise or increase the gore factor in the images they were exposed to by significant margin.

Even from the little that has been said about her being extraordinarily smart but "a little crazy" (o maybe it was "them" - can't remember if he had one or two) I was actually thinking about Grandad's sister(s) when first presented with the idea of HSP genetics.  Or possibly Popo. The tendency is for the majority of HSP's to be introverts (many who work in research and technology fields that are somewhat solitary, LOTS of programmers, IT people it seemed at the meeting) which would fit Grandad pretty well also.  The speaker at the meetup described how HSP family members would "often prefer to remain scarce during Holiday festivities or family gatherings, only showing up for a brief time before retiring to whatever solitary space they were accustomed to" - that one sound familiar?  I thought it was a little weird that something that specific could be called out like that. And think too about how concerned he was that his work was of some value to the whole of humanity rather than just himself or personal wealth.  Might make more sense after reading a little more of the articles...

FYI - on the 10 question "empath" quiz, I scored 100%  and onthe standard (and more traditionally accepted academically) 27 question survey to indicate HSP, I scored a comfortable 22 positives (14 qualifies as a strong indicator.)  My Myers-Briggs is usually ENFP though those designations are FAR more borderline than this grouping.

He replied back with this:

As is said in Japanese, na-ru-ho-do, I see.
Spot on about his two sisters, Lula and Mary, and the
line about the gatherings is as accurate as a photograph.
I'm fascinated. Got some reading to do.
Remember Aiko - the woman who I brought to meet
you a couple of years ago at karaoke??
From all of what you have sent, I would say that
she, too, is an HSP. The part about the noises
is just one of the descriptions specific to her.

I'll keep reading.

Love,
Dad

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:49:16 »
how do you embed the video again ? I forgot .. it's been awhile

And I only got 16 on the Assbergers test. Ill see if I can dig up the HSP questionaire... I think it accounts for some of the same traits that manifest in a range of ways, thought underying cause is the same.

Here it is - check which apply to you of around 27 things

http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

Scoring:
If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.
If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

I got 22 extremely true of me things
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:10:47 by Voixdelion »

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:01:39 »
Sounds like me. For example: on Thanksgiving this year, as soon as I had my fill of turkey I went and hid in my room.

EDIT: Took the Aspergers test (again), scored 36; and 17 on the HSP test.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:11:25 by DaemonRaccoon »
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:23:02 »
Cool filmstrip button!
Me likey!

....AND I notice an all new ALLCAPS auto correct as well, hmmm?  So how does one SHOUT around here now? =)
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:26:26 by Voixdelion »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:52:05 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:41:15 by davkol »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 10:55:57 »
I don't identify with this HSP thing at all.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 17:52:51 »
Maybe the assberger thing is a sort of "anti-HSP"?  Which would account for my comfort level since the assbergerness is so non-overstimulating to my HSP-ness?  

Oh well, it was a theory.  No Nobel Prize for me this year, I guess....