Author Topic: PLU ML-87 (Cherry Black)  (Read 5355 times)

Offline BakerMan1971

PLU ML-87 (Cherry Black)
« on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 06:57:17 »
Hello keyboard connoisseurs,
thought I would kick off my becoming active on the Geekhack forums by posting a review of my recently purchased PLU keyboard.

I really did take a punt on this one, ordering from China is still seen as a risky undertaking, and mechanical keyboards are incredibly expensive, and while I dream of the Corsair K70, £120 would probably initiate a very negative response from my other half, I could maybe have gotten away with a QFR for about £70 delivered.

A company called banggood was having a special on several keyboards coming in at £50 with the offer of free delivery.
Took me 3 days to pluck up the courage and order, but in the end I couldn't resist saving £20 against the QFR, and the PLU ML-87 looked different.

Anyway 14 days after ordering (allowing for a Typhoon in Hong Kong) the keyboard finally arrived.

Packaging was ok, but definitely not Amazon crazy. I suppose had the ends taken a knock, I may have been complaining.

They keyboard itself is pretty weighty, and feels very sturdy, doesn't want to slide around on the desk, which is nice.

I pulled a keycap to check if they were real cherries in there and as in the pictures attached, they are.

The legs at the back were fairly cheap though, now I don't always use them depending on the type of keyboard, but they could do with being sturdier.

using the keyboard is amazing, a real step up from my Microsoft Sidewinder X4, responses are rapid, and I didn't experience any 'ghosting' while mashing away at various games.

typing speed is increased but I have to admit, I am wondering if I should have gone for Cherry browns or reds.

There is no backlighting, and the transparent keys look like they might enjoy some illumination underneath, (there is one blue light under the lock windows key .... key, that thing can light up a room!!!)

My only complaint on the keyboard is the Scroll Lock LED doesn't work, however while the supplier was more than happy to issue an RMA, I decided I would rather not go through with it as the rest of the keyboard is fine, and it could be a bit of a headache for such a minor issue, (I might open it up and see if its just a loose wire)

Considering the saving is around the price of an aftermarket CPU cooler, I would say it's worth a shot buying from abroad.
two things to consider though are the time it takes for RMA (although some UK suppliers have taken 90 days before), and the lack of a regional (Uk in my case) keyboard layout, which doesn't affect gaming.

Oh it was also my first tenkeyless keyboard, and I do still use numpads for work etc, however the benefit of the mouse being closer bringing my shoulders in (my main reason for trying a TKL) is great for gaming.

Hopefully my incoherent rambling review has entertained you, feel free to chuck any queries my way :)

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
Re: PLU ML-87 (Cherry Black)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:14:44 »
Congrats. It is exciting getting ur first mech...then a second... then a third ...then...

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:23:05 »
Yes I know, already eyeing up my 2nd with browns, what was that I said about £120 again? I am going to really have to grovel......  :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 20:54:59 »
Congrats. It is exciting getting ur first mech...then a second... then a third ...then...
Tell me about it! I have 16 as of now, will be getting another HHKB Pro 2 (this time in white) sometime next week....my poor wallet! :'( Nice review btw, I'm thinking of getting either this, or the Flashget 600C.....still doing my mental masturbation thing over it.

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 03:10:50 »
The flashget 600C? or the G600? anyway, the Flashget ones where I bought mine come with a separate set of keys AFAIK, so you can replace all the red ones or mix it up.

Definitely eyeing up keycool 87 or ducky 87 now....

Offline katt

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 00:08:09 »
I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur
We offer 700-301 success for wikipedia exam with help of latest security+ certification and Rockefeller University practice questions and the exams of ARM ccie security PMI

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 13:08:06 »
I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur

Welcome to Geekhack!

I mostly use blacks and greens these days, and bottom out most of the time anyway, but when I switch back to reds or clears I do worry that I will hurt the poor keyboard!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 09:31:31 »

Hmm... I seem to recall writing this exact text a while back:

I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur.