Author Topic: Audio Hell - The Review  (Read 18466 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Audio Hell - The Review
« on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 22:06:10 »

Introduction - Audio Hell

The purpose of assembling a mass of popular and eclectic headphone audio equipment is different for every person.
Without detailing every way a person could enjoy headphone audio I would like to say I first and foremost love music.
  Delivering music from author to listener has changed drastically and rapidly since the invent of the phonograph.
I've learned most everything I know about audio, like with most things, from my father.  He has been pondering hi-fidelity
since he auditioned a set of  ADS 810 floorstandin speakers to use with his Denon DP-1200 turntable during the late 70s.
His stories about that time were about how valuable it was to know how the sound gets to the listener.  People without his
acquired knowledge would sink tons into amplifiers, or the turntable itself without thinking about the transducers.

Full circle back to reasons to amass headphones - headphone audio is neat because headphones house transducers! 
This is where you will experience the most or hopefully the least color in your audio path.  The amount of distortion that
comes from a transducer has to be particularly engineered for accuracy or a compromise to remain musical.  In this day
we have digital sources eliminating one whole transducer, the needle/cartridge, from the audio path my father was
accustom to back in the 70s.

With newer, cleaner, sources we should be able to criticise the presentation of our favourite recorded events, movies, and music.
This new clean era of ours has been muddied by a lot of greed.  There are only so many ways of putting together an amplifier
and everyone wants to say their sound is magical.  We have so much control these days with advances in engineering that
it's possible for those with the knowledge to build their own audiophile grade headphone amplifier for under $80/unit if
they were to make even a small run of PCBs. 

Today's cost effective materials and abundance of engineering knowledge an absolutely serene source and amplification is well
within the reach of anyone willing to wade through the marketing lingo and statistics and... well Audio Hell.  I've compiled a number
of sources, amplifiers, and headphones in order to prove the worth of transducers, the importance of a clean source, and chastise
the human mind for constantly adapting to better accept the things which annoy us.

Stay tuned and follow this thread for a rather lengthy comparison and look at some neat pieces of equipment.

Table of Contents

1. Getting to Your Ears:  The Signal Chain
2. Sony MDR-V6
3. Fischer Audio FA-003Ti
4. MrSpeakers Mad Dogs 3.2
5. The End of MOG as I knew it
6. The Inevitable Return to Lossless/Signal chains revisited!
7. Sennheiser HD 650
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 23:54:01 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
Part 1 - Getting to Your Ears: The Signal Chain
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 22:06:42 »
Part 1 - Getting to Your Ears:  The Signal Chain

This review will do what a number of reviews don't do which is to detail the signal chain.  There is no reason why
a reader should have to research the signal chain to understand what the listener had at her/his disposal.  The tech at
my disposal ranges from solid state(SS) to tube(TU) tech. Here's a link to a brief article on SS techologies by howstuffworks.com.
To be clear this means that aside from my source I have SS and TU DACs and Amplifiers.

The signal chain: MOG.com  > DAC > Amplifier > Headphone

Why use MOG.com - It's high quality 320kbps audio (compression/encoding !=bad) compiled directly from recording labels' digital masters.
I had a hard time finding consistency between a lot of audio in my library which could have been ripped or lossless and MOG
delivers a huge library of fabulously encoded music.

DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) - Wiki Link - This exists as part of every machine with audio out. 
It is the part of your sound card and provides the needed conversion of digital waveform audio data into electrical waveform audio signals.
The quality of a DAC will determine the quality of music you can play without distortion/downsampling.

The DACs I will be using for this little thang are,

• Schiit Modi
  • ODAC
  • Aune T1 Tube
  • Roland Tri-Capture
  • Samsung Galaxy S3

Each DAC has been set to be the default playback device in my device manager with the highest bitrate available selected.

example.

Amplifier - In relation to the DAC and source the amplifier's job is much more simple.  Amplifiers take an electrical signal and boost them to
levels which would drive a transducer.  The process is in theory very clean, but components and design considerations
will alter what environmental factors can lead to distortion likewise causing distortion as the components' physical properties may alter
electrical wavforms.  Various types of amplifiers exist and I will again abuse the wiki because it is accurate enough.

The amplifiers I will be using for this little thang are,

• Schiit Vali
  • O2
  • Aune T1
  • Roland Tri-Capture
  • Samsung Galaxy S3

I understand that there is a bit of redundancy with product names in the Amp and DAC lists.  Amps are not DACs and these devices, aside from
the Roland, have separate I/O for the different device stages in the signal chain.  I am able to and will test combos like the Aune A1 Tube Dac into
a Schiit Vali.  For science.

Headphones - Headphones come in many shapes and sizes, and despite the similarities of the headphones covered herein I will be glad
to point out as many differences to set apart the devices from audible frequency to ear-pad options, cable type, and driver technology.

There are so many differences other than brand-name and color to over-the-ear headphones and how fortunate I was to grow up with a
access to high-fidelity equipment as it saved me the embarassment of being brainwashed by the old Beats and Bose sample kiosks which are
almost everywhere.

The headphones I will be using for this little thang are divided up by driver type,

Dynamic Driver Headphones -
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Fischer Audio FA-003 Ti
  • Sennheiser HD650

Orthodynamic Driver Headphones -
  • Modded Fostex T50-RP Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.2
  • Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2

Electrostatic Earspeaker -
  • Koss ESP 950

If I can I will continue to expand this and further sections as I learn more and the information available becomes more clear for me to transcribe
to my own words.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:24:27 by Binge »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
Part 3: Sony MDR-V6
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:55:38 »
Part 2 - Sony MDR-V6: Yesterday and Today

Specs, Price, and Features of the Sony MDR-V6

• Driver: 40mm Dynamic
  • Cup & Pad: Closed Circum-aural
  • Impedance: 63 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 106 db/mW
  • Year: 1985
  • Avg Price: $60-99 USD
    • 1/8" native termination with 1/4" adaptor.  I could plug them into anything portable or desktop.
    • Foldable design.  The MDR-V6 are a great portable headphone because they are so compact when folded!  This image explains it all,
    • Metal headband and metal parts.  So strong!
    • Light weight.  Aside from the shallow ear-cups (totally fixable with a pad mod) this is an all-day headset

Every time I pick up a headphone I compare it to the V6.  We have had a long history together and I retain close to 12 years of ownership with
this model headphone.  Considering the age of the design I would say that it is probably about past its prime, but with the right owner/mods
I could see the driver providing a great, reliable, presentation with stellar portability.

Testing the V6 against so many other headphones is necessary for me.  Putting the device against a number of signal path configurations
available on hand will allow me to better describe its strengths and weaknesses.  As an added bonus I am rotating the ear pads between
stock, velour (Beyerdynamic) and Fischer 003 stock leatherette pads for science.

Signal Chain Impressions

MOG>Schiit Modi>Schiit Vali>MDR-V6
High noise-floor from the class A front end tube-hybrid Vali.  The white noise destroys any sort of silent/quiet quality of a listening experience. 
Great control of the bass and mid presentation which is part of the Vali's charm.  Unfortunately because of the higher noise floor a cellphone
would do a better job.

Pros - Sonic presentation of the Vali is impressive and pleasing to the ear.
Cons - Constant annoying white noise at any price range above $10 is bad.

MOG>ODAC>Schiit Vali>MDR-V6
The same high noise-floor as the above config, but the white noise seems more like space instead of blatant irritating hiss.  I've not really
given the effect of the noise more thought than, "I can live with this," especially because the more I listen the more I realized this presentation
is balanced.  This is truly giving the Vali whatever it needs to go.  There's more power behind the ODAC.  The volume knob on the Vali is barely
touched for booming sound.  This is about 1/4 the amount of the volume knob I had to use with the Modi running into the Vali.

Pros - Less "Vali" sound and more tonal balance and volume headroom.
Cons - Expensive at $240 USD or more

MOG>Galaxy S3>MDR-V6
Not all mobile devices are completely quiet when coupled with a low impedence/sensitive headphone.  There is barely the nuance of air when compared
with the V6 and Vali pair.  The headphone seems to sound like the Modi-Vali stack with less noise.

Pros - No extra equipment needed to get great volume and intended freq response.  Assuming someone already has this or another comparable
smart phone there are savings in not spending more money!

Cons - Slight white-noise.

MOG>Roland Tri Capture>MDR-V6
Roland Tri Capture satisfies the need for a DAC/Amp solution with grace and turns out to be a solid pair with the V6.  Compared to the Galaxy S3
there is no white noise, and where the simple smartphone succeeds the Tri Capture accomplishes with honors.

Pros - Silent, Amp/Dac Combo with extra I/O, powered by USB only for portability and flexibility.
Cons - None

MOG>Aune T1>MDR-V6
Pleasantly surprising presentation does not sound out of place driving the V6.  Easily my 2nd favourite setup next to the Tri Capture due to the
sound and product options.  The only extra sound produced by playing through the Aune was my bad singing it was dead quiet like the Tri Capture.

MOG>Modi>Aune T1>MDR-V6
Without the "tube dac" at the front end of it's output amplifier the modi had to supply the needs of the Aune's little solid state amp.  The modi
could not do this.  It just could not and somehow the pair sounded like mud.  I have a feeling like the output of the modi is less than that of
the Aune's tube DAC and the ODAC.

MOG>ODAC>Aune T1>MDR-V6
I foresee a trend between the Modi and the ODAC and that trend is that the ODAC has some sort of power behind it where the modi's signal is
lower by a good margin.  The Aune's amplifier livened up and regained most of its quality.  It is a nice, transparent, amp without any real character
it measured up to the Tri Capture, but did not sound "interesting" like the Aune T1's solo performance.

MOG>Aune T1>Vali>MDR-V6
Oh so much liquid!  Anything I write about later in terms of pad-swapping and sibilance should be considered to every other configuration of signal chain.
This was by far the most colored experience I had focused toward the bass and upper mids. There was a rolling off of just about any other frequency when
a song would normally peak in the lower mids, mids, and treble frequencies.  Definitely interesting and another reason why the Aune is stupid fun for
audio heads.

MOG>Aune T1>O2>MDR-V6
The Aune's amplifier needs some work and it shows when the Aune's DAC runs into the O2.  To my ears this sounds like a tube amp coming out of
a clean source.  Electric guitars especially sound like they have a tube quality to them, and there's a great separation between different instruments.
With the stock Aune I felt like a band's presentation was congested and now I have a more solid illusion of space.  Very impressive sounds have
come out of this Aune's tube DAC, and while not as accurate as the ODAC with other amps I would say this is my favourite chain going to the Sony
MDR-V6 and Beyerdynamic ear pads.

Pros - Aune's tube DAC can make some interesting and pleasing sounds alone and paired with other amps, tube rollin' fun!, attractive (looks cool),
LOTS of I/O, could drive a separate amp and that means 2 headphones to one DAC (SWEET), too much fun, did I mention this amp is a lot of fun?

Cons - Power brick is huge, cost can be high to get to really play with this amp.  The $110-$200 at which this device ranges in price can easily turn
into $400-$500 in other amps, dacs, and tubes.

MOG>ODAC>O2>MDR-V6
Presentation shows the headphone's stengths and flaws.  Drives with ease.  Flat response setup like the ODAC/O2 can be a great tool for moddding. 
With stock pads, Beyerdynamic Velour pads, and Fischer FA-003 stock pads I was able to reliably predict the effect each ear pad would have on the V6
thanks to the neutrality of this setup.

Pros - Very transparent system is great for modding the V6 and possibly other headphones, silent (no white noise)
Cons - Expensive at $220 USD or more.

Ear pad impressions

Stock ear pads - sibilant highs, even presentation, but the bass has no control seems distorted.
Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour - shallow V shaped mid scoop, bass is much more controlled
Fischer FA 003 Leatherette pads - balanced, sibilant highs, bass is more controlled but not as much as the Beyer pads

MDR-V6 Overall Impressions

• Can be driven by any portable device with ease
  • Fun portable headphone
  • Great modding potential
  • Bang for buck
  • Natively sibilant
  • Showing its age by lacking in isolation and generally uncontrolled low end

Part 3 - Fischer Audio FA-003 Ti

Specs, Price, and Features

• Driver: 42mm titanium coated Dynamic
  • Frequency range: 10-26000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 101 dB/mW
  • Impedance: 64 Ohm
  • Year: 2013
  • Avg. Cost: $200-230 USD
    • Termination: 1/8" w/1/4" adaptor
    • Optional velour pads
    • Padded storage/travel case
    • Light weight construction with metal joints.
    • Removable headphone cable.

Upon serious recommendation from a fellow Geekhacker I looked into the Fischer Audio line of headphones. The FA-003 is a flagship
studio monitor class headphone designed for crystal clear audio reproduction.  In early 2013 it was announced that a titanium
coated driver with premium build quality would be available the same year.  Come the end of October I was able to order a pair
from Amazon.com for $220 USD.

When the headphones arrived the first thing I noticed was the fantastic packaging.  The cloth with foam carrying case is just
bulletproof for 90% of an end user's storage and travel needs.  I would not say these are as portable of a design as the Sony
MDR-V6 in any way.  The headphones are considerably larger, come with a 3 meter long cable, and do not fold.  Differences between
portable and not-so-portable are really in the design, and it looks like the FA-003ti is better left at home.

Putting this less than a year old design through the paces with some different signal paths is the real aim of the game, so without
further delay I present,

Signal Chain Impressions

MOG>Schiit Modi>Schiit Vali>FA-003Ti
Like with the MDR-V6 there is a bit of white noise during quiet sections of recordings and absolute silence.  When any music picks
up the sound is inaudible, but this is not a hi-fi experience.  This flaw is something I've read can be remedied with a device
which increases the impedance of the headphones.  Without such a device I had to take the bit of white noise with the good, and
I still really like this pair of devices with the FA-003Ti.  The sound is very balanced, and the Modi+Vali provides an even and detailed
presentation by extending low end detail without taking away from the mids and highs.  The effect is subtle and is a bit of colored
due to the all tube class A front end.  I think in some instances a bit of color can produce a great experience.  This is a
combinations I would have a hard time disliking while factoring in the white noise.  All things considered I would be interested
in somehow augmenting the headphones or amp to rid myself of the white noise because the presentation is just that nice.

Pros - Audible sound-stage, neutral tonal balance with plenty of low and high end detail, cost for the quality of tone
Cons - White noise at any cost is too much white noise

MOG>ODAC>Schiit Vali>FA-003Ti
I had made mention that the ODAC and the Aune T1 have a higher line-output than the Modi when going to an amplifier, and in some
words I have also mentioned that the ODAC has a more balanced sound.  This coupling made the white noise of the Vali stand out in
an annoying way.  It really was not pleasant or even in the same realm as the Vali/Modi combo because of the intensity of the white
noise.  Whatever could be engineered to rid this path of white noise would be a must to enjoy these headphones.

Pros - None, see cons
Cons - White noise killed the entire experience.

MOG>Galaxy S3>FA-003Ti
Heh - I love it.  First and foremost there is no white noise.  I noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the tone.  The upper mids
and highs have a bit more forward behaviour, but aside from that 1-2dB shift somewhere in the 800Hz-15kHz range I really find nothing
strikingly different than the Vali/Modi other than the lack of white noise.

Pros - Balance, clarity, and white-noise-free.  No additional amp/dac cost.
Cons - Struggling at higher volumes.  This headphone amp is just not built for pushing me to deafness.

MOG>Roland Tri Capture>FA-003Ti
This setup is very much like the Galaxy S3 without any of the restrictions on volume.  Not much more can be said.
Pros - Neutral, quiet, cheap desktop performance with a lot of I/O for $120 USD or under
Cons - None.

MOG>Aune T1>FA-003Ti
Revisiting the Aune is always a good deal of fun.  The Tube DAC was something I was sure I would not enjoy due to additional audio
coloring via vacuum tube, but here I am eating those words.  It is a lot of fun.  Each tube offers a difference (color) you can hear
and it looks cool!  Pleasantly enjoying the lack of white noise, and crystal clear audio details.

MOG>Modi>Aune T1>FA-003Ti
Sounded like a slightly less detailed version of the Tri Capture.  Probably a function of the low output of the modi, and the lacking
amplifier of the Aune.

MOG>ODAC>Aune T1>FA-003Ti
Sounded a lot like the Tri Capture. Too expensive to look at seriously.

MOG>Aune T1>Vali>FA-003Ti
Unfortunely the Vali will always have that white noise, but as with previous visits to this combination the Tube DAC going into
Tube Amp does not disappoint.  It's clear, sweet, not too high, not too low, and just right.  I would not recommend looking for this
as a solution because you can get better overall performance (no white noise) from a cellphone, or tri-capture.

MOG>Aune T1>O2>FA-003Ti
Technically better than anything the Aune does on its own, the fun aspect of the tube DAC and the crystal clear presentation of
the O2 go hand in hand.  I would not suggest this configuration is "too expensive" because the T1 and the O2 can be used simultaneously
for listening with a friend.  The O2 may be better than the Aune's amplifier, but not so much better than anyone would pass up
the chance to listen.

Pros - Aune's T1 DAC is stupid fun to tube roll and pair with a variety of equipment, just fine all on its own with no
alterations or mods if you have self control.

Cons - Neutral but lacking amplifier, and to get the most out of the Aune T1 I would suggest spending more money on tubes
and different amplifiers... for science

MOG>ODAC>O2>FA-003Ti
I had to EQ this dac/amp setup.  While it was clear and transparent I think it took the worst of this headphone and made it obvious.
The FA003Ti has the ability to reproduce very high frequencies without much effort.  Couple the almost painfully clear and transparent
match of this DAC/Amp pair with the superb Titanium coated driver and the whole experience becomes very fatiguing.

To help anyone interested in EQing their FA003Ti I made the following alterations and it held up with all DAC>Amp configs,

• 20Hz +3dB Q7
  • 150Hz -3dB Q7
  • 300Hz +2dB Q8
  • 800Hz -4dB Q5
  • 8kHz +4dB Q10
  • 14kHz -3dB Q5

To clarify signals at a point in the frequency domain will be amplified by a given dB digitally and the Q determines the frequency range
of the parametrick EQ.  800Hz -4dB at a Q of 5 will reduce the frequency amplitude from about 400Hz to 1200Hz by 4dB.  The lower the Q
the wider the freqency range effected.  A Q of 10 is a focused EQ change and a Q of 1 is a large sweeping change.

Pros - Crystal clear, noise free, and plenty of headroom
Cons - Had to EQ (laziness ugh), costs much more than other solutions without having much "fun factor"

FA003Ti Overall Impressions

• Can be driven by any device with ease
  • True pro-audio neutrality at a reasonable cost
  • Amazing isolation. SO with vacuum?  Hardly an annoyance.  Likewise she can't hear my music.
  • Great to have a carrying case as the packaging.
  • Wonderfully strong enclosure and band.
  • Not designed for mobility but do very well with mobile devices
  • FA003Ti sensitivity and low impedance paired the Vali and maybe other tube amplification = white noise.
  • FA003 performs at 90% or more of the FA003Ti at sometimes 1/4 the price.
  • Clamping force is gnarly.  I had to stretch these over a wide object for days before comfortable use.

Part 4 - Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs (3.2): Planar Hi-Fi for the Masses

• Driver: Isodynamic
  • Frequency range: 15-30000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 98 dB/mW
  • Impedance: 50 Ohm
  • Year: 2002 (Date of the Fostex T50RP)
  • Avg. Cost: $299.99 USD
    • Termination: 1/4" included cable with 1/8" termination.
    • Leather Alpha Pad
    • Carrying Bag
    • Comfort strap headband
    • Removable headphone cable.

The MrSpeaker's Mad Dog is a Fostex T50RP modded for hi-fi performance by a guy named Dan Clark.  Some people have questioned my judgement
for spending $300 on a pair of $75-$100 headphones which are stuffed with all manner of odd items.  Luckily I cast doubt out of my mind
and kept reading about the Mad Dogs, the revisions of this headphone, and what other modders were charging for their services.  I thought
Dan Clark's recipe was worth checking out especially since he promises any return within 15 days will be refunded the full purchase price.
If someone is looking for isodynamic headphones (which are really awesome) may not be a better try-before-you-commit sort of option on
the market.  Spoiler... I ended up keeping the Mad Dogs, and I had a great time during this review comparing the signal chains.

Signal Chain Impressions

MOG>Schiit Modi>Schiit Vali>Mad Dogs 3.2
No noise-  That's where we'll start.  There is no perceivable noise floor when connecting the Vali to the Mad Dogs, and I believe that has
to do with the Mad Dog's lower sensitivity.  What has not changed with the Vali pairing is the low end definition and clarity.  I love how
each headphone I pair with this end gets another level of detail to thumps, thuds, booms, and it really shows in acoustic bass instruments.
Considering the each of these headphones have shown similar coloring and character with this setup it is safe to say they are more
analytical, and if one wishes a bit of fun/warmth added I would suggest this signal chain.

Pros - Silent when it needs to be and plenty of volume on tap.  Warm without sounding muddy or muffled.  Value for the sound.
Cons - None

MOG>ODAC>Schiit Vali>Mad Dogs 3.2

Where the modi and vali offered a less analytical, warm, and inviting presentation I would have to say the ODAC pairing is not far behind
while being an arm ahead in terms of sound-stage and vocal clarity.  It seems like air is more present.  The sorts of sounds felt in a real
room and that is truly wonderful.  I feel as if I want to stop doing this, and find more music for a few more hours.  It's just odd how
I loved the sound of the modi and I still do, but I'm fascinated at how well I feel like I can tell the slight changes in the distance and angle
of a microphone to a vocalist's mouth.  After A/Bing the two and then making a blind test it was plain as day which DAC was which, but even
more startling that the modi did not provide this quality with the Mad Dogs.
Pros - Wonderful sense of 3D sound in stereo.  Lovely levels of clarity.  Value for the sound.
Cons - Fuggetaboutit.

MOG>Galaxy S3>Mad Dogs 3.2
It's not the same or even close... The pairing makes me sad, and I don't like to be sad.  Sensitive headphones show their strength in the
mobile world, and while the mad-dog is not completely lacking sensitivity I feel like it is not getting the power it needs.

Pros - No additional amp/dac cost.
Cons - Struggling to provide at most volumes.

MOG>Roland Tri Capture>Mad Dogs 3.2
Dejavu~ This setup is very much like the Galaxy S3 would be without any of the restrictions on volume.  I only assume this because it is not
quite as detailed or impressing as the modi/odac with the vali.
Pros - Neutral, quiet, cheap desktop performance with a lot of I/O for $120 USD or under
Cons - None.

MOG>Aune T1>Mad Dogs 3.2
Tubes :|  There is a laid back impression I'm getting from tubes and the Mad Dogs, and really I'm not complaining.  It makes lo-fi or hi-fi
sound like my-fidelity in that I could listen for hours and hours.  The Aune does not miss a beat, snare, synth, or vocal accompaniment
and there is also plenty of power on tap.  Mad Dog likey.  Me likey.

MOG>Modi>Aune T1>Mad Dogs 3.2
Dejavu, Sounded like a slightly less detailed version of the Tri Capture.  Probably a function of the low output of the modi, and the lacking
amplifier of the Aune.

MOG>ODAC>Aune T1>Mad Dogs 3.2
DEJAVU~zzzZzzZZZzzz~Sounded a lot like the Tri Capture. Too expensive to look at seriously.

MOG>Aune T1>Vali>Mad Dogs 3.2
Where the Modi and Vali took the harshness out of listening and the ODAC and Vali gave music a 3D presence the pair of Aune and Vali are
a lesson of how ethereal music can really get.  What I mean by ethereal is that chorus, phase, and vibrato effects lose their subtlety
and become traits of the music.  Not bad traits but this may not be everyone's cup of tea.  Still cool-  The song Christine by Marissa
Nadler turned into "close your eyes and melt," by Marissa Nadler in the warm crystal caves of some fantastic alternate world.  Really
neat but not for serious listening.

MOG>Aune T1>O2>Mad Dogs 3.2
Dejavu~ Technically better than anything the Aune does on its own, the fun aspect of the tube DAC and the crystal clear presentation of
the O2 go hand in hand.  I would not suggest this configuration is "too expensive" because the T1 and the O2 can be used simultaneously
for listening with a friend.  The O2 may be better than the Aune's amplifier, but not so much better than anyone would pass up
the chance to listen.

Pros - For the Mad Dogs an Aune is really a ticket to adventure.  As previously mentioned the versatility in this unit
is astounding, and it gives the owner plenty of options if he/she is looking to try different amplifiers.

Cons - The stock amplifier is not terrible, but it is no O2.  As much as being able to play with this unit is a pro it is
also a con for wallets.

MOG>ODAC>O2>Mad Dogs 3.2
Out of all of the setups available this one really lent itself to the songs standing out from one another.  All of the subtlety people
mix into their music remained in that subtle domain, and any obvious issues with mastering were plain as day.  Was it enjoyable to hear
an issue with the mastering of a song on my playlist?  Yes.  Yes it was.  There are people out there who want to think these setups put
a great coat of paint on music, and I want to say that I am not that kind of person.  Everything the previous chains were able to
accomplish save the ODAC>Vali did not hold water in comparison.  This is by far the most neutral and detailed signal chain I have
for the Mad Dogs.
Cons - None.

Mad Dogs 3.2 Overall Impressions

• Isodynamic drivers which present music beautifully.
  • If one can afford Beats, they can afford these :D
  • Durable construction
  • Great isolation.
  • Comfortable for hours and hours of listening.
  • Not really an option for listening without proper amplification.

Isodynamic Driver Impressions

I feel like this is needed, and I believe that without it people may think less of the isodynamic headphones in my review simply
because I am not gushing over each individual headphone.  While I hold the Mad Dogs in high regard there is a very particular reason
these headphones perform exceptionally well and it is because of the Fostex T50RP isodynamic drivers and Dan's enclosure modification.
Isodynamic drivers, to me, offer a much more realistic presentation compared to dynamic drivers.  A dynamic driver will move a
diaphragm after first causing a voice coil to oscillate, and the resulting effect is much harder to control accurately than say if the diaphragm
were to move directly.  The isodynamic driver essentially does this and the entire diaphragm moves with shifting magnetic flux of
surrounding magnets.

So-- I may not have explained that as well as Tyll from inner fidelity but I can tell you that they sound so much better than most dynamic drivers.  To
me the worst thing a dynamic driver suffers from is called point-source-sound.  A dynamic driver can not produce certain frequencies
evenly across the diaphragm and so some sounds will have a clear point source, point of origin, or as I like to call them ICE PICKS
OF SOUND.  This one little hurdle which a dynamic driver's diaphragm must be engineered around is a large part of why I prefer
the lack of point-source-sound artifacts presented by isodynamic drivers.

Just to be clear I don't think that all dynamic drivers are bad.  They just generally aren't as good :p

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:42:25 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Audio Hell - The Review
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:56:23 »
Part 5 - The End of MOG.com as I knew it

Obviously this review has been avoided for some number of weeks.  This was not only time taken to really reflect on the
process of reviewing, but it was time spent working on a cohesive solution for the demise of my favorite streaming music solution MOG.com. 
As I write this post there is little time left for any active MOG account, and really no point in pursuing it for high quality audio.  It
 was acquired by Beats in 2012, and at the time MOG was to remain unchanged.  With the Beats brand the service is being restructured to
 focus on streaming audio to mobile devices.

While assured that the quality and my playlists would remain in my transition to Beats I decided to cut my losses.  In the last few
months I would be listening to radio based around punk or folk music and some DnB artist would work its way into the mix.  This was
explained to me to be some taste of new features to introduce me to new genres of music which are very popular.

I just wanted to rip my brain out of my eyesockets and play hacky-sack until feelings didn't feel anymore.  I don't want my mood ruined by
some marketing... ughhhh RANT END.

Needless to say I do not have MOG.com available as my source so I finish this mini section by wishing my condolences to everyone who loved MOG.

Part 6 - The Inevitable Return to Lossless/Signal chains revisited!

Originally I thought using MOG.com would be a great example of digital source audio which had more context to today's
listener.  It was easily accessible, portable, and could be considered a savings over purchasing many many records.  I am resending
the signal chain to explain the changes to my source audio.

To recap,  a standard signal chain will look something like this SOURCE>AMPLIFICATION>TRANSDUCER.

In an analog system there is loss going from one part of the signal chain to another.  With the advent of digital media the source
and all things in the digital realm are potentially lossless unless loss is introduced, and to return to the analog domain a DAC or digital to analog
converter is placed conceptually between the source and any amplification.

Our more modern signal chain looks much like this,

SOURCE>DAC>AMPLIFICATION>TRANSDUCER

Remember how I said that loss can be negated completely in the digital domain despite the number of virtual devices in the signal
chain?  I had briefly expressed an interest in EQing headphones earlier in the review, and since that time my knowledge has grown
and it is pretty regular in my signal chain for there to be some sort of parametric EQ.

My signal chain uses a lossless source called FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) which is a compression of raw audio
data that has no adverse effect on the quality of the recording.  The FLAC audio player I have chosen for the purposes of everyday listening is
Foobar2000, a freeware player for windows.  Before using Foobar I was pretty addicted to using an equalizer called Equalizer APO when I
had Mog.com, but there were issues with stability and it was important to me, moving forward, that I have something equally powerful which affected
my entire windows environment.   The solution I came up with was to use Virtual Audio Cable(http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm)
in conjunction with VSTHost to allow me to add VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plug-ins which is a way of implementing
professional DSP (Digital Signal Processing) into my digital signal chain.

Still confused?  Me too!  I really wish it was a bit simpler to set up.  Here is my modified signal chain.

VSTHOST[SOURCE>VAC>VST]>DAC>AMPLIFICATION>TRANSDUCER

If you've been wondering about the color coding I have made an effort to show with the concept of cool/warm colors to show where I believe the
most loss/coloring can occur.  If the color is a red derivative it can be lossy, if the color is a yellow derivative the sound can be colored,
and if the color has blue to it it is likely to be more pure.  The VSTHOST can only be the sum of its parts so it has two colors.

This is what a complete VAC/VSTHOST combination looks like,

A simple/quick synopsis of the above image:  The blocks connected with yellow lines are virtual devices, the frequency curve is a parametric
EQ VST plugin, and the large window is the setup for my virtual audio cable.

The ending effect is that all audio in my PC is defaulted to play through a virtual audio cable.  The virtual audio cable is modified by any
VST and then output to my DAC of choice.  This works for video games, movies, music, and any other audio supported by the Windows 7 OS.

With regard to the choice of source audio, FLAC managed by Foobar2000, I had to make a choice after MOG.com was finished and do it quickly. 
FLAC was the logical way I would be able to have a reliable source for this review.  All music mentioned herein will either be digital download
FLAC from the artist, or ripped FLAC from CDs I own using EAC (Exact Audio Copy).  If music will be
referenced I will try to provide a streaming audio copy available to the public for listening.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 20:22:48 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:56:52 »
Part 7 - Sennheiser HD650: The Veiled Menace

• Driver: Dynamic
  • Cup & Pad: Open Circum-aural
  • Frequency range: 10 - 39500 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
  • Impedance: 300 Ohm
  • Year: 2003
  • Avg. Cost: $499.95 USD
    • Termination: 1/4" included cable with 1/8" termination.
    • Velour Pads
    • Hard headphone storage box
    • Made to be rebuilt*

The audio name known round the world, Sennheiser, has been cooking a reference design headphone since the early 90s.  The design has adopted a few
    revisions and the is incrementally re-released to the public.  The concept is most recently recognized as the HD650.  The design calls for a very smooth and
    neutral sound signature, and a chassis that is entirely modular.  I had mentioned in the specs that it is made to be rebuilt, and I meant it.
    Everything about this headphone is made to be replaced.  It is one of the only headphones I know of where self service is an option, and that is pretty
    amazing.  But how does it sound?  I've heard the term Veiled before, and I want to just say this is correct.  At average listening levels I found
    most of the detail to hide behind warmer tones.  The detailed sounds were things like horns, string noise, and the very thin sounds a cymbal crash
    can make.  I had a Schiit Vali at my disposal and the "tube magic" really helped lift the veil a bit, or at least that's what I assumed to be true.
    Without a doubt I really only enjoyed the HD650 with the Vali, and all of my other amps sounded terrible.  Well before reaching the point of insanity
    I tried a simple mod to the stock dust guard in each ear of the 650.

While this looks incredibly stupid (huehuehue) there is a method to this madness.  The dust guard attenuates high frequency audio, and by removing
    a dime sized hole right above the driver I am able to get more high end goodness resulting in nothing short of eye opening sound.

When listening to the HD650 I used the following digital signal path - FLAC Music Library > VST Host VAC 24/96kHz > Audiocation Stereo Equalizer > DAC

Audiocation Stereo Equalizer had no adjustments for listening tests before and after the mod.

After the mod I was able to swap Amplifiers/DACs to my hearts content and feel like they were worthy of review.

Signal Chain Impressions

Schiit Modi>Schiit Vali>HD650
    Spoilers - this is the most relaxing and musical combination in this whole bunch.  Look no further if you are a comfort listener.  It's lush
    and rich with sparkle aplenty.

Pros - Warm sound signature, no listening fatigue, sparkly dreamy highs
    Cons - Nothing more than musical and relaxing, audible space is lacking

ODAC>Schiit Vali>HD650
    The Vali paired with HD650 had a lot to lose and a bit to gain with the ODAC.  Normally I commend the ODAC on providing a more realistic DAC
    capable of rejuvenating the Vali from Modi's relaxed and diminished output.  Really I'm not so sure it's a thing to want if one plans to buy
    a HD650.  There was more space but at the price of listening comfort.

Pros - Larger sound-stage
    Cons - The relaxing nature of musics became less inviting.  Fatiguing.

Galaxy S3>HD650
    Nope.

Pros - Not enough power
    Cons - Struggling at volumes.  This headphone amp is just not built for pushing me to deafness.

Roland Tri Capture>HD650
    I have no idea how in the grace of the ancients THIS platform performed so well.  Honestly it's like the Vali and ODAC combination in terms
    of signature which is not great, but at the same time it's not bad.  I can get plenty of volume and it is effortless to pick out recording
    nuances.  I'd say any fatigue can be easily overlooked because for what it lacks in sparkle it makes up in mid-range clarity.
    Pros - Neutral, quiet, great separation, and cheap desktop performance with a lot of I/O for $120 USD or under
    Cons - None.

Aune T1>HD650
    A lot about the solo T1 reminds me of the Vali and Modi but with a bit more sound-stage and less sparkle.  The Aune remains to be a product
    of notable clarity, and quality with a hint of tube mojo.  After three headphones I felt like all of the combos I've used would start to show
    repetitious traits, but the HD650 reminds me why this audio hell is so tricky.  To use the Mad Dogs as an example it would respond in a
    very transparent manner and represent its amp, and with the HD650 it's the exact opposite!  Each amplifier seems to place power in a
    different part of this headphone.  Regardless of its difficult and unpredictable nature the Aune commands the HD650 with authority.

Modi>Aune T1>HD650
    I'm so confused.. with every other headphone the Aune's amplifier can't compete with the Tri-Capture for clarity, but here we are and it is
    Just as clear while offering more volume on tap.

ODAC>Aune T1>HD650
    As above with a better sound-stage.

Aune T1>Vali>HD650
    This is like tube soup but sadly unless you really REALLY like the T1 it's 95% Modi/Vali with 5% extended sound-stage.

Aune T1>O2>HD650
    Technically better than anything the Aune does on its own.. but it's a little harsh I prefer the sound of the T1 on its own.

Pros - Nothing but great effects on sound, most neutral pairing with the T1 to date, and amazing without any other amps!

Cons - There are just so many options to side-grade to arrggg my wallet!

ODAC>O2>HD650
    I am surprised too many times in one evening by one headphone >.<  the ODAC>O2 is usually a stellar pairing, but it just is not as enjoyable
    as the T1, and it is so close to sounding like the Roland Tri-Capture I would buy the Tri-Capture before the NwAvGuy designed combo.

Cons - Expense.

HD650 Overall Impressions

• Pairs well with some lower cost gear
    • A true sound-stage experience with plenty of instrument separation
    • I can see the utility in being able to repair these.  Definitely keepers.
    • Great to have a carrying case as the packaging.
    • Light weight and comfortable to wear for hours
    • Original sound signature subject to harsh criticism.  Dat veil
    • Seemingly impossible to pair with an amplifier using normal logic.  Someone get me a Ouija board.
    • For its price it is not impressive.  Only worth it to buy at 50% listed cost or less.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:44:05 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:58:08 »
reserved

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 01:40:28 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:58:57 »
reserved

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 01:40:35 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:59:58 »
reserved - done reserving

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 01:40:39 by Binge »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 02:00:31 »
oh hot diggity dam 7 reservations

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:24:48 »
oh hot diggity dam 7 reservations

I know right.  Dis gonna be good.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:32:05 »
Patiently waiting (well not so patiently, but well).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:35:11 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 02:43:03 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

Something tells me you're going to be disappointed soon enough...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:43:20 »
Looking forward to what's coming here.   :D

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:43:50 »
I'll be checking this out now  :thumb:

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:46:59 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

At least give him a chance.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:11:36 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

I talk to him, I kinda know the order he's going to place everything in.  That's not to say I think the hd650s are bad, either.  Hell, I tried for a week to justify "settling" with them over lcd-2s and couldn't, but they're the reason I tried hd800s.  It's more to say there's stiff competition in that grouping.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:15:23 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

I talk to him, I kinda know the order he's going to place everything in.  That's not to say I think the hd650s are bad, either.  Hell, I tried for a week to justify "settling" with them over lcd-2s and couldn't, but they're the reason I tried hd800s.  It's more to say there's stiff competition in that grouping.

I assumed price was a factor.  If not, the LCD-2 is better than the HD650.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 19:14:39 »
awww come-on tj- spoilers :p j/k you guys will have plenty to ponder with this shootout.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 22:29:55 »
in b4 the HD650 wins.

I assumed price was a factor.  If not, the LCD-2 is better than the HD650.

This is fair enough.  I personally like the mad dogs @ $300 vs the hd650 @$400 and lcd-2 at $1000, though.  But that's why it's fun to have discussions.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 14:23:56 »
Looking forward to your ESP-950 Review. Nice to see some estats in there.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 18:11:25 »
Updated with FA-003Ti impressions.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:27:23 »
Audiophile time :)
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 00:55:28 »
Updated with MadDogs 3.2 impressions

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 11:17:43 »
Learning a lot from you Binge, appreciate you taking the time to do all this.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:49:18 »
Go Aune Go!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:03:05 »
May I ask how you set up the S3 as a DAC for your PC? Or are you simply playing the MOG files on the device?

I have been using the onboard audio on my PC for a long time, but want something better. Been eyeing the Auzentech cards, but would prefer an external DAC to prevent interference and I don't really need the X-Fi stuff.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which has a Wolfson chip) and the audio is excellent. Would love to be able to use it as a DAC.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:23:54 »
May I ask how you set up the S3 as a DAC for your PC? Or are you simply playing the MOG files on the device?

I have been using the onboard audio on my PC for a long time, but want something better. Been eyeing the Auzentech cards, but would prefer an external DAC to prevent interference and I don't really need the X-Fi stuff.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 (which has a Wolfson chip) and the audio is excellent. Would love to be able to use it as a DAC.

MOG.com has an app for my phone which will be closing soon and turning into BeatsAudio.  The phone app over wifi can do full audio quality.

It is not clear to me that you'd be able to use your phone as a PC DAC.  Someone may be able to hack it... but it is unlikely anyone has tried.  It really depends on how robust a smartphone's USB interface is.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 23:54:25 »
updated with impressions of the HD650.  Still confused.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 21:10:52 »
Get a Burson.
That's supposed to be a good pair with the HD 650.
 :p

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 03:52:53 »
Get a Burson.
That's supposed to be a good pair with the HD 650.
 :p

Why do you suggest I buy a Burson? There are 4 different pairings in the review which drive the 650 without issue.  If that did not come across in the review I am sorry.

That being said no amplifier will make the 650 worth Sennheiser's asking price.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:30:02 »
Can you update the specs showing if the sensitivity is measured in dB/mW or dB/V? This is actually a big difference, though you can convert between them using the impedance.

Otherwise, excellent reviews! I look forward to reading more.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:41:13 »
Can you update the specs showing if the sensitivity is measured in dB/mW or dB/V? This is actually a big difference, though you can convert between them using the impedance.

Otherwise, excellent reviews! I look forward to reading more.

Sensitivity are all dB/mW unless otherwise specified.  Updated for clarity.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:44:39 by Binge »

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 20:16:57 »
Nice topic and reviews Binge  :thumb:

Found this nice topic while searching for 'mrspeakers' as I'm eyeing the Mad Dog Pro's for a while. Any impressions on those?
And if I had to use a portable amp for the Mad Dog 3.2 or the Mad Dog Pro, would a fiio e07k be any good?
Do you also have any impressions on the 'new' O2/ODAC all-in-one?
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 01:12:39 »
Nice topic and reviews Binge  :thumb:

Found this nice topic while searching for 'mrspeakers' as I'm eyeing the Mad Dog Pro's for a while. Any impressions on those?
And if I had to use a portable amp for the Mad Dog 3.2 or the Mad Dog Pro, would a fiio e07k be any good?
Do you also have any impressions on the 'new' O2/ODAC all-in-one?

I can't really speak of the mad dog pros or what the premium cost of the additional baffle will really buy you.  What I can say is that QC on Mr. Speakers products are rock solid, however, you can not expect each of them to sound the same.  T50RP drivers have a significant amount of variation from driver to driver, and the methods used to "correct" the driver performance are equally lacking in uniformity.  This is not to say they are bad or the product does not deliver.  I would just recommend choosing either the Mad Dog or Alpha Dog over something like the Mad Dog Pro.  The Alpha dog has a lot going for it which is uniform and provides superior control over the T50RP driver.

You can drive a mad dog with any number of amps, an e07k would probably do just fine.  The O2/ODAC is the only amp/dac that I have left from this review.  It has made me basically get rid of everything except the Roland Tri-Capture which I have other use for than just a headphone amp.

Some time I will have to revisit this, revise, and complete this review.  Like most things, as my name would suggest, there was a binge, and a purge.  The purge with worn audio equipment is still ongoing, and I've got a bitter-sweet taste in my mouth from all of it.  I found that chasing (searching) for a sound can lead to the holy grail of equipment, and that the choices/combos are pretty limitless.  In between starting and that grail moment I had a lot of motivation to bite in and pick apart what it was I cared for in equipment.  I know a few people here on GH who have found what it is that makes music really enjoyable.  That is important.  Enjoying the music is VERY important.  No single headphone will change that except for the one that provides the least resistance to your preferences.  Don't kid yourself about what you like by saying you really like all things, don't act like a tough guy and say 1lbs of weight on your head is comfortable for listening when it starts to hurt after 10 minutes just because it's the headphone is $1000 of sound, and if you find yourself bobbing your head, smiling, or tearing up please just savor the moment and forget what you're wearing until you have the sense to return to your own mind outside of that kickass recording.

Uh yeah- If you want a good deal on Mad Dogs 3.2s I have a [FS] up :)  I'd still recommend them to anyone who really likes a pleasant balance between analytically and forgiving headphones with no boosted bass presence/texture but all of the audible bass clarity/separation.  My current headphones, HiFiMan HE-560, are tuned much more toward my tastes which include a bit more bass texture at the cost of the bass being forgiving, and really the entire experience is just more detailed pushing heavily toward the analytic sound which the ESP-950 had influenced me enough to enjoy.

Uh ranting- yeah should have just written another part to this review :-/