Author Topic: Ducky Shine 4 Review  (Read 43095 times)

Offline aasi

Ducky Shine 4 Review
« on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 12:27:50 »
Chinese Version Review
As usual, the annual Keyboard Party 2014 took place in December. I was extremely fortunate to get Ducky Shine 4, Horse Year Edition from the prize drawing! After a week of intensive use, here’s an unboxing and review for the product. Excuse my grammatical errors as English's not my first language~

Besides the Ducky Shine 4, I’ve had 7 other mechanical keyboards. A lot of what’s in this review is heavily toward my own bias, so please bear that in mind. Since this is my first time attempting to write a review, let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!

Manual

Sturdy packaging is to be expected from Ducky, so here it is. The content includes a keycap puller, replaceable WASD keycaps, mini USB cable, warranty card, and of course the keyboard itself. The specs are model DKSH1408SD, Cherry blue switch, black laser printed ABS keycap English ver., dual LED Blue Red backlight, and weighs 1200g.

Top case is well designed, the hairline finish make its plastic material look sleek without the icy feel when typing on an aluminum case.

Extending from the top case, ingeniously designed “feet” clearly bear resemblance of horse’s hoofs, staying true to the theme of Shine 4. Triangular shaped hollows on the side not only look good, but also make adjusting keyboard position much easier when typing.

Compare to standard ones, removable feet shown in the image above feels way more long lasting and sturdy. Ducky has come a long way since the previous models, props!

Shine 4 uses mini USB cable, fixed to only exit through the middle. Despite its design might suggest, it actually doesn’t hold the cable well.

Now to the good stuff, blacklight effects! Like its product name, Shine 4 has shown us some of the coolest features. Personally backlight isn't my thing at all, but this is some serious stuff! Effects include: 100% Standard, Breathing, Color Cycling, Wave, Snake Marquee, Raindrop, Reactive, Reactive Adv., Ripple, Aurora, and Custom Mode. The speed for each mode, ratio for Blue & Red in the dual LED are both customizable on 8 levels. Combined with the ability to customize different color LED on each individual switches, the variations are nearly endless. Best of all, everything mentioned above can be done without driver or software.

Youtube Video Link

Being the industry leader on LED features, Demo mode is a must-have on this keyboard! Whether via a device or mobile power bank, the Ducky Shine 4 will be able to rotate effects continuously, as shown in the video!

Of course DIP Switch, USB repeat acceleration, and N-Key Rollover are included in the package. Having used various generations of Ducky, I believe they have improved the reliance and smoothness of NKRO through USB interface greatly since Ducky Zero.

Unlike other keyboard manufacturers that’s starting to adopt Chinese clone switches. Ducky continue to stick with Cherry switches that are undeniably better built. Ducky has also soldered plated steel on top of the dual PCBs, making the switches more stable and provide a solid feedback when bottoming the keys.

Personally, the only thing lacking from this are the keycaps. Ducky has done a great job with its laser etched and UV coated keycaps, but PBT are still much preferred.

As per tradition, Ducky uses pre-mounted Cherry stabilizers. It has a certain heavy and sticky feel to it. From previous experience with typing on Ducky keyboards, it will improve after the break-in period.

To sum up the Shine 4 in several points

Pro
  • Amazing Blacklight Features
  • Excellent Build Quality
  • Stylish Design
  • Very Reasonable Price

Con
  • Hard to come by in NA/EU region
  • Unable to customize media keys
  • ABS Keycaps

Other suggestions
  • Probably not too many people share this concern, but I tend to use the right click menu key a lot. Having it replaced by the Fn key on Shine 4 makes it highly inconvenient at times. A DIP switch or anything similar to replace the right click menu with right Windows key would be great.
  • Unlike previous versions, the Shine 4 does not come with an alternative Spacebar keycap, in case the user wants something else than a horse on their keycap.
  • The removable keyboard feet are amazingly durable, but what is the point if you lose them? A design that can hold or store the removed feet will certainly let them live up to its full potential.
  • The design holding USB cable through the back could be improved, as I find it constantly falls off and applying pressure to the connector.

Is Shine 4 good for gaming? Should I buy it?
Coming from a background with extensive eSport experience, my personal opinion is that what players really need is a solid, reliable keyboard able execute command with consistency.  Aside from personal preference, much of the flashy features being offered on the market aren’t even close to useful for current eSports titles, perhaps with the slight exception of USB acceleration in this case. That being said, Ducky has one of the most well built keyboard on the market. With strong core values focusing on quality and designing from a user’s standpoint, I am confident that the Shine 4 will be a purchase you won't regret!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 December 2014, 12:50:55 by aasi »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Ducky Shine 4 Review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 07:18:50 »
Thanks for sharing!

While the 2014 Horse logo looks nice, it's a shame that they didn't include an alternate spacebar.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 09:10:25 »
Thanks for sharing!

While the 2014 Horse logo looks nice, it's a shame that they didn't include an alternate spacebar.

Yeah, I think these spacebars would have been nice:

85710-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:53:25 »
Thanks for sharing!

(Attachment Link)

They are nice space bars!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 21:11:05 »
Thanks for sharing!

(Attachment Link)

They are nice space bars!

Indeed!  Are those promotional items or something?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:45:10 »
I'm gonna miss ducky's old case shape...

Nice review! Looks like a nice board  :p

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 10:11:17 »
I like this review a lot, very in-depth but easy to understand  :thumb:

Keep it up!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:13:38 »
Again no PBT keycaps? And those nice spacebars are ABS again?

Methinks keyboard won't be as popular as it could be.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline VivaGardner

• * Destiny Supporter
  • www.gboarding.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:00:01 »
Thanks for the review.  Is there anything that is a step back from the Shine 3?  I just was able to find a Shine 3 locally for $180 after tax, but at the same time I have the opportunity to order a Shine 4 online for $150 total.  It seems that I should return my Shine 3 and upgrade to the Shine 4....

Anything that you can say that would discourage me from doing this?

Thanks
Even good dogs go wild

Offline dukkyt

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:35:26 »
Thanks for the review.  Is there anything that is a step back from the Shine 3?  I just was able to find a Shine 3 locally for $180 after tax, but at the same time I have the opportunity to order a Shine 4 online for $150 total.  It seems that I should return my Shine 3 and upgrade to the Shine 4....

Thanks

I have a shine 4, and I sold my shine 3 for it, since i wanted MX Browns and not blues anymore. The only drawback I'd say on the shine 4 is its design, some might disagree, but I personally loved how the shine 3 was designed, the bezels were practically non-existent, which made for a really clean-cut looking board. Don't get me wrong, the shine 4 is definitely nice in terms of looks, but the bezels are a bit larger, and the keyboard is noticeably thinner than the shine 3, so it weighs less. Other than that, I'd say it's a complete upgrade from the 3, and if you really want to save the 30$, go for it.

Offline VivaGardner

• * Destiny Supporter
  • www.gboarding.com
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:33:38 »
Thanks for the reply. 

My thoughts are that the new design will grow on me quickly and I'll get used to it.  I like the extra weight on the Shine 3, but I don' t think I'll notice the slight difference since my keyboard sits on a pretty sturdy surface.  I think that the customization of the LED colors will be worth the upgrade.

I guess it only makes sense to get the 4 for $30 less. 

I'll try to get some side-by-side comparison when it comes next week.
Even good dogs go wild

Offline dman777

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 23:20:57 »

• The design holding USB cable through the back could be improved, as I find it constantly falls off and applying pressure to the connector.

I'm a little bit worried about this. Never had a issue with the design of shine 3 holding the usb cable. Is the shine 4 a step back in this regard compared to the shine 3?  Would it give me problems if it always sits on my desk and I don't travel with it?

Thanks

I have a shine 4, and I sold my shine 3 for it, since i wanted MX Browns and not blues anymore. The only drawback I'd say on the shine 4 is its design, some might disagree, but I personally loved how the shine 3 was designed, the bezels were practically non-existent, which made for a really clean-cut looking board. Don't get me wrong, the shine 4 is definitely nice in terms of looks, but the bezels are a bit larger, and the keyboard is noticeably thinner than the shine 3, so it weighs less. Other than that, I'd say it's a complete upgrade from the 3, and if you really want to save the 30$, go for it.

1) I have a shine 3 and I wanted to replace it with the Shine 4 because I like the blue/red design. What you mentioned sounds like major step backs. What would be the improvements of Shine 4 over the Shine 3 besides the bi color LEDs?
2) Can the keyboard make a cool magenta color?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:44:46 »
GO AHEAD AND BUY THE SHINE 4: THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE USB PLUG !!!!

I have a shine 4 and two ducky shine fire 69's (shine 4 limited editions) and not once has the USB cable even come CLOSE to coming out of the socket.  And I move the keyboard around back and forth every day.  I've moved it every night from my desktop to my laptop (because I like the pretty colors when I'm sleeping) for a month+ now, and not once has it come out of its socket!

Are you 100% completely SURE That you inserted it FULLY?

It takes a LOT Of force to fully insert it.  There should be a VERY obvious tactile "snap" when it's fully inserted.  The mounting plastic routing grip for the cable might interfere with being able to insert it easily, since it's sideways and the "small" part of the routing cutout can block some of the leverage for inserting it easily (the ducky shine 3 was much easier to insert since nothing was blocking a front insertion).  Perhaps that's the problem?

Please do NOT be scared of ghosts!  There is NOTHING wrong with the USB connection on the shine 4!  Otherwise I would not have a regular MX brown shine 4 and TWO Fire 69 editions!

Offline dman777

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 10:32:00 »
Also, with the new body of the shine 4....do the keys still have a high profile? Or are they more of a lower profile like the razor keyboards(please, no flaming about razor...just asking about the profile height)?

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 07:29:43 »
Nice review with decent pictures!
Makes me want to buy one S4.  :))
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline iron_alchemist2108S

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 11:45:01 »
I've been thinking about a CODE 104 or a new DK Shine 4 because the Ducky will have Clear switches available on mechanical keyboards.com for the upcoming Grey and White cases. Should I go with simple and effective CODE or the decked out Ducky Shine 4 for a bit more money?

Offline Sduck

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 22:57:48 »
I just got a shine 4 also. My fourth Ducky Shine! It seems really nice so far in the few hours I've had it so far. The case is noticeably bigger than the aluminum case on my ducky shine 3, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The MX blue keys I got seem quite a bit stiffer (and quieter) than the ones on my shine 3, but maybe they just need to be broken in. I love love love the color modes - quite a few that are really exceptional looking, and still useable.

I use this with a mac, and appreciate that it's probably the closest to a RGB keyboard you can get that will actually work with a mac, as there's no need for any utility apps to get some decent color effects.
x3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 15:34:34 »
This keyboard makes me angry..

It rides the "gimmick train"

Yet it doesn't even go all the way exploiting that gimmick...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 16:15:48 »
This keyboard makes me angry..

It rides the "gimmick train"

Yet it doesn't even go all the way exploiting that gimmick...
Show Image

Shhhhhh my dear you have an ergodox

Offline xxsoulxx

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 17:02:06 »
Nice Review, sold my Shine 4 now i,m waiting for the white version ! :)

Offline rawkus

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 11:04:14 »
Nice Review, sold my Shine 4 now i,m waiting for the white version ! :)

I just got the white shine 4, and I'm liking it so far.  Only gripe is the injection mold marks on the backs of the keys showing due to them being white, but who looks at the backs of their keys?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 20:07:10 »
Anyone know how much lighter the 4 is compared to the 3?
And its height compared to the shine 3?
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 14:41:47 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline metal369

• Singlepath
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 20:17:55 »
HairLines is so good. I love it.
Hi there!

Offline Alpsie

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 04:55:20 »
I got this board a few days ago, but have been thinking if it is possible to swap the bicolored red/blue LED out with other bicolored LED. Have anyone tried this ?

Offline seville57

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:04:37 »
I got this board a few days ago, but have been thinking if it is possible to swap the bicolored red/blue LED out with other bicolored LED. Have anyone tried this ?
I also have a (ANSI) Ducky Shine 4 (69 Edition Fire Version) and have not tried that.

But Ducky Shine 4 is for me a very big misstake made by Ducky:

Red/blue LEDs on all Shine 4 k-boards.

Black keycaps on the 69 Edition Fire Version.

I want a Shine 4 with one LED color, like this:

Shine 4 - White LEDs

Shine 4 - Magenta LEDs

Shine 4 - Red LEDs

Shine 4 - Blue LEDs

And let them who likes red/blue LEDs buy them.

I'm glad I have my 2 Shine 2 and my 3 Shine 3 k-boards with one LED color.

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:08:11 by seville57 »

Offline Alpsie

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 01:01:57 »
But you cna disable the red and only have blue leds turned one, same with only having the red turned on. So just the white that is missing?

Offline seville57

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 07:04:12 »
Yes only the White andI never tested that.

This is how it look like before I changed the keycaps.

The new keycaps set. No LEDs are turned on. The spacebar is Ducky Shine 4 69 Edition.

The LEDs are on, but this keycaps set don't let the LEDs shine through, only on the spacebar (Ducky Spacebar Cities Edition - Sydney) .

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 July 2015, 07:26:08 by seville57 »

Offline puissance

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:40:42 »
Thanks for the review.  Informative indeed.   I am thinking about buying the Ducky Shine 5 when that comes out and this is the closest keyboard to it.     Did you find the brightness to be luminous enough on the LEDs?  I've heard that the Razer keyboards have the best brightness so I'm curious to how this compares.

Thanks

Joseph 

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 22:20:19 »
Well done review! I am loving my Ducky Shine 4 CE. Definitely a keyboard worth having and a great fullsize at that.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:59:12 »
This does seem like an odd USB cable routing/holding choice.  I'm guessing the idea is any tugging on the cord will keep the stress off of the cable port, thus extending it's lifetime.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:38:52 »
Thanks!  Showed my buddy this review.  He finally committed and got the Shine 4. 

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:36:00 »
Before I really got into mechanical keyboards, I bought this board because it was suggested as a good gaming keyboard. I'm glad to see that I ended up with a good board. Enjoyed your review and makes me feel better about my purchase :D
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]