Author Topic: GMK cherry, BSP cherry, SP SA, ... where's the expensive OEM?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline hariseldon

Paying more for higher quality cherry caps made such a difference, looking for an expensive high quality version of OEM to really see how they perform.

Do they even exist?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: GMK cherry, BSP cherry, SP SA, ... where's the expensive OEM?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:40:02 »
Sure, they exist.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:44:42 »
Yeah.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 18:59:34 »
:facepalm:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline JianYang

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 00:56:48 »
What do you mean by "see how they perform"?
Cheap keys and expensive keys perform the same. What you pay more for is mostly cosmetic value (dons flamesuit). And as far as that goes, there is little for OEM profile, so just get a decent set of PBT caps.
That said, I do like the sculpting of OEM keys a little more than cherry profile (cosmetically).

Offline hariseldon

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 10:35:34 »
Ok so you all say they exist, and are implying that it's obvious. So where are they? Who makes them?

And as for paying more making a difference .... it's not just cosmetics at all. The moulds are different, the materials are different, the consistency is different, the sound is different, the texture is different, thickness is different ....  EVERYTHING is different. Including the shape - curves, angles, roundness, surface area, etc etc etc.

Everywhere I go all I see is cheap $20-50 sets of OEM that are junk. Where's the good stuff.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:38:33 »
It really shouldn't take you longer than a Google search. OEM stuff sucks if it isn't Topre.

Originative.co

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline moh18one

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:45:20 »
http://www.rantopad.co.kr/goods/goods_search.php?keyword=geek+pps&recentCount=10

PPS keycaps from Rantokorea (http://www.rantokorea.com/ their international website). It is a good way to try out new keycaps polymer  :thumb: I have planned to order one keyset in the future but money...  :-[

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 14:36:06 »
Vortex make thick doubleshot PBT caps in OEM profile, the font isn't for everyone and they only cover a standard layout but the quality is good - here's a nice coloured set at mk.com
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 22:33:34 »
http://www.rantopad.co.kr/goods/goods_search.php?keyword=geek+pps&recentCount=10

PPS keycaps from Rantokorea (http://www.rantokorea.com/ their international website). It is a good way to try out new keycaps polymer  :thumb: I have planned to order one keyset in the future but money...  :-[

pps is cherry profile tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 11:14:06 »
What do you mean by "see how they perform"?
Cheap keys and expensive keys perform the same. What you pay more for is mostly cosmetic value (dons flamesuit). And as far as that goes, there is little for OEM profile, so just get a decent set of PBT caps.
That said, I do like the sculpting of OEM keys a little more than cherry profile (cosmetically).

Awesome comment and screen name.  :))