Author Topic: [IC] MIAMI DOLCH - DSA [DROPS MAY 1ST]  (Read 114119 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [IC] MIAMI DOLCH - DSA Keyset
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 13:01:24 »
I assume it will look almost identical to Sky Dolch? Except Pink in the mods?

Yeah in a way, which is one reason why I'm hesitant to make it a GMK set.

I mean I am not trying to bash it at all. If it is DSA count me in for sure! SA would be cool too but that is because I do not own any of those profile caps.

SA would take forever.  Reference SP's backlog.  On top of that, this doesn't really strike me as an SA set.  But, that's admittedly personal opinion.

Offline Nickjames

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:30:06 »

I mean I am not trying to bash it at all. If it is DSA count me in for sure! SA would be cool too but that is because I do not own any of those profile caps.

SA would take forever.  Reference SP's backlog.  On top of that, this doesn't really strike me as an SA set.  But, that's admittedly personal opinion.

SA makes sense to me, those Miami colors are a product of the late 70's and 80's.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:30:15 »

I am just trying to stress the point of it not being a GMK set ;)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:30:58 »

Yeah, with SP's backlog right now I wouldn't be surprised if didn't arrive until early 2017, and that is if the groupbuy started rolling right now.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline yomammary

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:33:41 »
GMK or JTK please!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:39:18 »
GMK or JTK please!

JT...what? just do it GMK.

Joking, but I wonder if JTK is taking custom designs for production, last time it was stated JTK is not, but only Ctrl+Alt's.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:44:24 »
GMK or JTK please!

Joking, but I wonder if JTK is taking custom designs for production, last time it was stated JTK is not, but only Ctrl+Alt's.

The only problem with GMK will be that that the kits would be reduced to just one, plus no novelties.

Offline Data

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:55:21 »
Surprised at how well these colors work together.  Nice job.

I wouldn't buy it because I'm not a fan of pink, but it's still cool.  Good luck with your GB.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:01:45 »
GMK or JTK please!

The only problem with GMK will be that that the kits would be reduced to just one, plus no novelties.

The OP could try to get a quotation from JTK, if they get one, great, otherwise, GMK is the only way to go Cherry-wise. DSA is just not for me, neither SA, that is, too tall, too wobble, to ugly, the only good part about SA is that you get more weight for your money,  :p

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:08:39 »
The OP could try to get a quotation from JTK, if they get one, great, otherwise, GMK is the only way to go Cherry-wise. DSA is just not for me, neither SA, that is, too tall, too wobble, to ugly, the only good part about SA is that you get more weight for your money,  :p

The problem is that only CTRL ALT has access JTK AFAIK.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:29:32 »

It is what must of us know already, but some (yomammary) still thinks is an option.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:34:04 »

It is what must of us know already, but some (yomammary) still thinks is an option.

I would be so happy if there was a huge JTK Group Buy, with multiple child deals (just like with DSA and SA sets).

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 20:51:22 »
I love this so much.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 21:12:32 »
Any chance of providing a set that will fill only a Planck like how Nantucket did?

Yeah definitely! I've been looking at the REBEL - SA set and was guess people would want me to do something like that. In my next update i'll include a planck set and a better looking ergodox set. The standard alphas would also become a separate set then right?
They don't have to. You would just make it so someone can buy a planck set that would have a planck's alphas and mods in it. You can split the mods and alphas of the main set but that's up to you and isn't necessary.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 21:51:07 »
I think Miami is hideous, but combined with Dolch... I love it. This set looks like it was made for DSA. Definitely in if it gets made, excellent work. :)

Offline MrKaishi

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 22:08:02 »
+1 <3 the colors

Offline dspiel

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 23:12:30 »
love

Offline yomammary

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 07:17:43 »
GMK or JTK please!

I'm just throwing it out there ;)
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 23:58:40 »
i want this for my ergodox specifically so im down with DSA  :thumb:

Would you mind sharing your ergodox layout? I'm trying to make some improvements to that kit
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline Deeree1867

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 00:06:15 »
I def would buy one regardless of the mold type :eek: well done :)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 04:58:31 »

Would you mind sharing your ergodox layout? I'm trying to make some improvements to that kit

Jukebox has a nicely done, but compact Ergodox child deal

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 08:41:06 »

Jukebox has a nicely done, but compact Ergodox child deal

Show Image

yeah, this one is pretty good already. I dont have a layout yet cause i just finished building my ergodox and now looking for caps that have legends on it and would just follow the keyset layout that ill get :-p
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline Corusco

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 16:22:14 »
I feel like the best way to do and Ergodox layout is standard alphas and number row with function agnostic symbols on the EDox specific keys. It is really hard to satisfy everyone with a specific layout. For example, neither I nor a friend of mine with an EDox picked up the Jukebox set specifically because the child set does not even remotely come close to what our layouts are (which are themselves each very different from the other.)

Take a look at the Modern Selectric specialty keys set with its simple icons. Another good example is the Hana DSA set. I ended up buying the prefectures set not to fill up my number row, but to use on the bottom row of 1u keys. The Carbon set also had child deals with symbols. I really feel this is the way to go for non-blanks on the Ergodox.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 21:58:22 »
Well damn, this looks really good. I tend to like black on black schemes more than I like dolch, but this set has definitely caught my eye

Offline StarPupil

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 22:39:27 »
Since you're asking for ergodox layouts, this is mine:

https://imgur.com/fPX3svY

One thing that I noticed about your layout is that it has duplicate keys between the base kit and the 'dox kit. In fact, all of the 1u keys are duplicates from the base kit, and the tab key as well. It could use a 1.5u Backspace key, two 1u control keys and Win key, and darker 1u left and right brackets. Perhaps throw an extra few 1.5u blanks for any others that aren't covered in this. To eliminate all of the legends on the Ergodox kit would be a pity, as it would eliminate a lot of the character of the set, as we would end up with a light grey set with blue letters with a set of blank mods

Offline Data

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 11:35:26 »
I had a good response to my Dox kit for Danger Zone.

Though I freely admit it was designed more toward my personal Dox layout and isn't remotely ideal.  If you want to be Dox-friendly be sure to offer lots of blanks.  :P

Also, see this thread for an on-going research and discussion of this very topic:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80885.0

Offline StarPupil

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:43:42 »

Show Image

Though I freely admit it was designed more toward my personal Dox layout and isn't remotely ideal.  If you want to be Dox-friendly be sure to offer lots of blanks.  :P

Also, see this thread for an on-going research and discussion of this very topic:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80885.0

Looking at that pack, I'm not sure why you have two 2u alt keys in there. And there should probably be a 2u Shift in there somewhere. But with those exceptions, yeah, this is pretty much what a non-sculpted Ergodox kit where you have to buy a TKL base kit should look like. And hopefully, since this is DSA, it'll be cheaper than the Danger Zone Ergodox kit.

Offline Data

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 15:02:41 »

Show Image

Looking at that pack, I'm not sure why you have two 2u alt keys in there. And there should probably be a 2u Shift in there somewhere. But with those exceptions, yeah, this is pretty much what a non-sculpted Ergodox kit where you have to buy a TKL base kit should look like. And hopefully, since this is DSA, it'll be cheaper than the Danger Zone Ergodox kit.

DZ Dox kit was $49.49 by the time orders closed.  That's pretty cheap as Dox kits go, particularly ones with legends.  But I'm sure DSA would be even cheaper as you surmised.

Offline fuzzycuffs

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 22:57:49 »
Looking good!  I'd be interested

Offline _l2yuk3n_

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 03:41:45 »
definitely interested! allows for the fun pink/blue of Miami while staying fairly muted with the grey. I like it!

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 06:06:55 »
I've been after a set with some pink in it for a while, Miami being too in your face for my tastes, overly bright boards are a peripheral distraction for me.

So I really like this combo, Dolch is too bland, Miami too out there, it's perfect  :thumb:

I feel this would look strange in SA, and the huge wait times will maybe see the SA bubble burst eventually.

Not tried DSA, but I've liked flat profile SA, so I'd support DSA. GMK is also fine, if expensive, DCS for the budget option for sure.

The only thing I never like is these huge international kits, always limits me to sticking to ANSI only. I like the option of picking up UK ISO kits for better future proofing.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:38:05 »

Show Image

I like this layout. If ever youre still looking, this one is good.
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Offline MacGruber117

Re: [IC] MIAMI DOLCH - DSA Keyset (Updated 05.24.16)
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:30:24 »
Here is an image of the default QWERTY layout I found from the ergodox drop.

The keys crossed out in red are covered by the base kit, and the ones crossed out in green are covered by the non standard kit. There are a few other 1.5u keys in the non standard kit that might be useful to some people. The remaining keys in the image and some keys from the DZ Ergodox Kit are what I'm going to use to make my kit.

A few questions:

What should go on the 'L1' keys, a legend or should I just have blanks?

Should I include a pair of novelties in the kit like DZ, or should I just let people buy the novelty or bonus pack for those extra keys?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Data

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:45:56 »

Show Image

The keys crossed out in red are covered by the base kit, and the ones crossed out in green are covered by the non standard kit. There are a few other 1.5u keys in the non standard kit that might be useful to some people. The remaining keys in the image and some keys from the DZ Ergodox Kit are what I'm going to use to make my kit.

A few questions:

Should I include a pair of novelties in the kit like DZ, or should I just let people buy the novelty or bonus pack for those extra keys?

Thanks for your help!

:thumb:

The layer keys can be blank or just "Fn".  You'll want a couple of blanks of each size anyway. 

StarPupil mentioned adding a 2u Shift to the kit and I kind of agree.  Something to keep in mind...

If you have novelties they would probably stick to the 1u size for a Dox, but that's not written in stone.  Carbon had a few novelty 2u caps in its Dox kit.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:50:12 by Data »

Offline alveeno

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 13:50:51 »
Ooh boy I want this

Offline StarPupil

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 07:39:34 »

Show Image

A few questions:

Thanks for your help!

I'd say that the Layer keys should probably be 'FN' keys, but the orientation of them could be a problem, as some (me) use one of the side 1.5u keys as layer changers, but I'd say that we are probably an outlier here, so just having the vertical ones as 'FN+' and 'FN-' or just plain 'FN' might be best. But the more important thing to remember is that the MD ergodox design is at best a suggestion, and I'm not really sure anyone actually uses that layout. I'd say you should take an ergodox kit for a set that is similar to yours (profileless, TKL base kit) that you know had good reception (the DZ kit, in this case) make some changes, like the ones I mentioned before (most of these are already done with DZ), maybe throw in a few blanks to cover any more esoteric layouts. Or do what Carbon and DZ did and put in a few novelties.

But there are a few more things I noticed: in The Gamer Kit, you get two 'Esc' keys that are already included in the base kit (blue on pink and pink on blue). The Bonus kit has the exact same problem. And in the Homing kit, you already include non-scooped 'f' and 'j' keys in the base kit, so you may want to take them out of the homing kit. Same with the '5' key, both versions of which are included in the Numpad kit (I assume. This is probably another problem with the program you used not exporting scoops correctly).

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 19:13:15 »
I would be all over this if it was GMK or DCS. Not a huge fan of DSA. But if it makes it to GB status as DSA I'd probably get in on it nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jesse36m3

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:31:54 »
+1 I'd be in for DSA on a Dox. Looks good.

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
Re: [IC] MIAMI DOLCH - DSA Keyset (Updated 06.02.16 Render added!)
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 09:49:57 »
Looking good! The mods are really coming along.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 23:29:13 »
The more I look at it, the more I like it. I still think DCS is the way to go but if this gets released with DSA I'll probably be all over it.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 00:42:40 »
do you have any schedule on when you would release the set?

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 01:28:35 »
These renders look excellent! Super excited for this set!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 10:07:54 »
do you have any schedule on when you would release the set?

No, that's something I'm going to start figuring out very soon. I'll try to have a schedule by the time I update again

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 10:10:22 »
Any thoughts on the nolevties? Because I'm just going to keep adding more until someone says stop ;D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 13:22:29 »
Any thoughts on the nolevties? Because I'm just going to keep adding more until someone says stop ;D

Man, you even included the Alligators!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 13:36:31 »

With as many as you currently have, you're looking at about $40/set @ 100 sets sold.  Just something to think about.

Actually, no, I counted them all as individual legends because I'm an idiot.  Carry on, lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2016, 14:37:59 by Pwner »
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 16:48:32 »

Man, you even included the Alligators!

I have many more ideas! I'm thinking about getting rid of the green and orange color novelties. Maybe only having the pink on blue and blue on pink novelties. Do any of them just plain suck? Haha

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 21:35:19 »
I don't think the orange and green seems to fit in. If I had a set, I know I wouldn't ever use them.

Offline renne

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:22:33 »
That looks awesome! Will you consider GMK?

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 02:29:28 »
+1 for dropping the green/orange
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven