Author Topic: PSA: STOP SPAMMING  (Read 373612 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:01:54 »
It's really great that people want Bro Caps and all that, but this is a forum with rules and things going on other than shiny keycaps.  We don't need to continually clutter the forum with useless "+1" posts to increase post count.

If you're spamming, you will almost certainly be reported, have the posts removed, and be muted for spamming.  This is a very clear forum rule and there is no leniency for new members attempting to meet an arbitrary post count.

Forum Terms of Service

JD's Recommended Reading

Have a good day.

Offline KippHuntress

Re: PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:02:17 »
does this count towards my post count?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:02:50 »
+1

;D
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:09:40 »
does this count towards my post count?

-_-

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:12:20 »
But I wanna get shiny Bro Caps! +1 !! I'm contributing!!

;)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:12:49 »
Yeah, well, this is what happens when you encourage people to host their profit ventures on your community platform.

I have no ill-will towards Bro Caps but  linking a business venture to forum activity all but guarantees the signal-to-noise ratio goes way out of wack.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:13:09 »
Thanks.  Good info.

This counts toward my post count too, right?  I don't want KippHuntress getting posts for this if I can't.

+1

;D

+1

Joking aside, really, thanks for this.  Hopefully the spammers actually see and pay attention to this post since the storm is beyond old at this point.  It really isn't hard to make quality posts.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:17:51 »
yeah it's getting pretty out of hand

I can even see threads (regarding topics that have already been well discussed, etc) that I can only assume are made by users so they can get easy replies and then reply back for ez post boosts

I might just be paranoid though

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:19:20 »

I can even see threads (regarding topics that have already been well discussed, etc) that I can only assume are made by users so they can get easy replies and then reply back for ez post boosts

Like why does Topre feel like Topre? :D

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:20:32 »
Why do MX not feel like Topre?

But yea, the spamming was getting a bit out of hand.
We can only hope they see this.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:20:58 »

yep

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:23:21 »

+1

Seriously though, it is super annoying to see the new posts page filled with one user's name and see a bunch of one liners and general **** posts that add nothing. I have no problem with seeing a user post multiple times if they're adding something, but to see a post get bumped and have "CoOl CaPs Br0!!!1!!!!11!1" is obnoxious.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:24:32 »
The logic behind this seems to be fine; however I think a minimum set of guidelines could be needed. For example, would the post of gif images be considered as spam? or it would be a minimum word count per post to not be considered spam? I am pretty sure that in good faith most people want to contribute with their posts, even if it is just expressing support for a previous posted statement, therefore a little bit more detail on what would be considered spam should be described, for the community to try to stick with it.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:25:02 »
I for one, have been entertained by the start of The Eternal Brotember.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:25:57 »
The logic behind this seems to be fine; however I think a minimum set of guidelines could be needed. For example, would the post of gif images be considered as spam? or it would be a minimum word count per post to not be considered spam? I am pretty sure that in good faith most people want to contribute with their posts, even if it is just expressing support for a previous posted statement, therefore a little bit more detail on what would be considered spam should be described, for the community to try to stick with it.
This is targeted at the people who are trying to post 50 posts in a matter of hours to get into the bro caps sale.

Offline KippHuntress

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:26:47 »

topre is its own animal, and i recommend it more so to new users coming over from rubber domes. the Jump to MX may be a bit overwhelming, i mean there are ALOT of complex parts on those switches. The sheer learning curve of those mechanical switches can frustrate the laymen back to using there ipod for typing habits. While topre has that familiar rubber dome comfort with some snap. Not to mention that weird conical spring which most new users confuse with having to deal with resistance in the switch. Unfortunately the topre price point is counter active to my suggestion for an easier transition. did i answer your question? **** it just buy something shiny on massdrop 

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:26:49 »
Why do MX not feel like Topre?

But yea, the spamming was getting a bit out of hand.
We can only hope they see this.

i would rather hope that the mods and  Bro figure out a better way to do what they're trying to do (because i think his goal is fine -- helping bro caps go to people who contribute to the community, or something).
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:27:05 »
I feel that what Bro has decided to do was meant for the benefit of the community, however post count has never been a good idea to 'moderate'.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:27:12 »

topre is its own animal, and i recommend it more so to new users coming over from rubber domes. the Jump to MX may be a bit overwhelming, i mean there are ALOT of complex parts on those switches. The sheer learning curve of those mechanical switches can frustrate the laymen back to using there ipod for typing habits. While topre has that familiar rubber dome comfort with some snap. Not to mention that weird conical spring which most new users confuse with having to deal with resistance in the switch. Unfortunately the topre price point is counter active to my suggestion for an easier transition. did i answer your question? **** it just buy something shiny on massdrop 

quit geekhack
go away

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:27:20 »
Yeah, well, this is what happens when you encourage people to host their profit ventures on your community platform.

I have no ill-will towards Bro Caps but  linking a business venture to forum activity all but guarantees the signal-to-noise ratio goes way out of wack.

I agree.  This wasn't a joint decision between geekhack and Bro, though, in case there's any confusion there.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:28:28 »

I agree.  This wasn't a joint decision between geekhack and Bro, though, in case there's any confusion there.

yeah i hope i didn't imply that.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:29:13 »
attention bro hos: pls leave ****posting to established ****posters

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:29:24 »
This is targeted at the people who are trying to post 50 posts in a matter of hours to get into the bro caps sale.

Even then, any of us spam from time to time, if newcomers will be sanctioned for that, why the rest of us would not? Should the rules be different?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:29:49 »
Yes we've worked long and hard to make it an art form.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:30:13 »

Even then, any of us spam from time to time, if newcomers will be sanctioned for that, why the rest of us would not? Should the rules be different?

i spam all the time. the difference is, i'm not spamming so i can get my hands on some limited-access keycaps.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:31:43 »
thx hauf
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:31:43 »

i spam all the time. the difference is, i'm not spamming so i can get my hands on some limited-access keycaps.

So spamming with no purpose is OK?

:)) :)) :))

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:32:30 »

:-*

its better than waiting in line all night for beanie babies

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:35:34 »

That is cool bro, so let it be:

Purposeless spamming is welcome at GH???

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:36:33 »

there's a difference between providing ****-level color commentary (which is my kind of spam) and the absolute bull**** that is happening on the board lately. if you don't believe me, please see THIS VERY THREAD by a moderator addressing the issue.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:38:04 »
Where is this spam that everyone is talking about? i guess i need to browse more  :cool:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:39:46 »
Where is this spam that everyone is talking about? i guess i need to browse more  :cool:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76675.msg1920355#msg1920355

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:41:31 »

there's a difference between providing ****-level color commentary (which is my kind of spam) and the absolute bull**** that is happening on the board lately. if you don't believe me, please see THIS VERY THREAD by a moderator addressing the issue.

It is a very fine line, indeed. Any way, I should keep my mouth shut - figuratively - and let the moderators to rule it.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:42:42 »
Also... the multi-quote function is your friend.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:47:11 »

This is the best way I've heard it put. More than once this past week or so, I've thought about the "eternal September" analogy related to what's been going on here at GH.

For the uninitiated

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:48:45 »

+121

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:53:46 »

I lulled a little. Tell bro to increase the minimum posts to something silly like 10k then spam and rowdy will be in bro heaven :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:55:57 »
Oldie but goodie:

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:57:58 »
This thread should be on the top of GH frontpage.
| ISO |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:02:07 »

I lulled a little. Tell bro to increase the minimum posts to something silly like 10k then spam and rowdy will be in bro heaven :)
Or just give us an entry for every 50 posts! :eek:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:26:22 »

This is the best way I've heard it put. More than once this past week or so, I've thought about the "eternal September" analogy related to what's been going on here at GH.

For the uninitiated

Basically, this is what has been happening here post-R00TW0RM*. R00TW0RM can be considered Geekhack's September 1993, and there exist both pre-R00TW0RM and post-R00TW0RM members of the forum.

* I use R00TW0RM as the metric, because it is a turning point in the life of the forum. The actual events which precipitated the influx of new users to Geekhack were twofold:
  • _______'s mental breakdown (as evidenced by the degeneration of his post content, which was later remover per his request) and subsequent permaban from the forum, followed by his ban from Deskthority and move to reddit, where he aroused the curiosity of many reddit users who were unfamiliar with Geekhack, and who wondered why he harbored such an obsession with our forum
  • The rebuilding and restructuring of the forum, with a bias toward increased membership numbers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:29:54 »
Proposal: Make all sub-forums for the next month have no count towards post count. Then sit back and watch the mayhem.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:31:30 »
Proposal: Make all sub-forums for the next month have no count towards post count. Then sit back and watch the mayhem.

Oh man that is so devious. I mean, +1

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:32:17 »

For the uninitiated

Basically, this is what has been happening here post-R00TW0RM*. R00TW0RM can be considered Geekhack's September 1993, and there exist both pre-R00TW0RM and post-R00TW0RM members of the forum.

* I use R00TW0RM as the metric, because it is a turning point in the life of the forum. The actual events which precipitated the influx of new users to Geekhack were twofold:
  • _______'s mental breakdown (as evidenced by the degeneration of his post content, which was later remover per his request) and subsequent permaban from the forum, followed by his ban from Deskthority and move to reddit, where he aroused the curiosity of many reddit users who were unfamiliar with Geekhack, and who wondered why he harbored such an obsession with our forum
  • The rebuilding and restructuring of the forum, with a bias toward increased membership numbers.

This is helpful for those of us who weren't around for r00tw0rm. And it's interesting to note the corollaries with the birth of /r/pokersandsneakers or whatever it's called.

My boards:
More

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:38:11 »
Code: [Select]
set topic sticky

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:48:27 »
Its really not that hard to hit 50.  I won't lie I originally went in with this I will get 50 when I get 50 attitude if I even want to participate.  I have stared at many artisan sales and just decided my money was best spent elsewhere.  This morning I saw the bro sale and my eyes went wide.  Looked at my post count and saw it was 44.  Posted an update from last night about my Making Things Together post to get to 45 and then found 5 more posts that I could contribute an opinion to in some way.  At first I figured I wouldn't be able to get the last 5, but I hit it easily with my morning coffee surf.

But god forbid people have to put in more effort than +1.  It is kind of frustrating seeing these posts.  I don't know how you guys refrain from dropping the hammalamma on them fools.  They obviously feel as though their community is superior and this one is so inferior it doesn't justify 50 posts of even somewhat quality.  That's how it makes me feel when I see people doing this.

Edit:
Thought I might give some tips in here too instead of just my ranting and crying.
Protip #1: Make use of the "Spy on the latest forum posts", "Show unread topics since last visit", and "Show new replies to your posts" buttons.
Protip #2: Mark topics and posts you don't care about as read to remove them from these lists.
Protip #3: Email alerts!  Especially for your own threads.  This lets you stay on top of threads and create faster back and forth.  Meaning better conversations which means more post counts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:55:01 by zlittell »

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:07:10 »

+5 to this
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:11:16 »

* HoffmanMyster schemes...  >:D

:))

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:32:29 »
Proposal: Hall of Shame Thread, AKA The TastaturenAuslese Memorial Thread

Kind of like putting heads on pikes outside the castle walls  :))

Offline Delirious

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:35:27 »

For the uninitiated

Despite his deserved exile, such person had some ups though, I still remembered that one time when he drilled holes, hammered, saw, and eventually cooked a CC just to see how it would fared against ducky and filco caps.