Author Topic: Best 60% keyboard to buy with linear switches  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Tomasz

Best 60% keyboard to buy with linear switches
« on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:08:08 »
Hi there.

What's the best 60% keyboard with linear switches? I am looking for a linear switch that shout be comparable in feeling with Gateron Blacks. Other than that, no preferences, I don't mind rgb, but I don't need it.

KBP V60 with Gateron Blacks? Pok3r? Something else?

Offline Tactile

Re: Best 60% keyboard to buy with linear switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:28:25 »
Well, if you want something which feels like Gateron blacks, wouldn't you just buy the KBP V60 with (you'll never guess) Gateron blacks?

The switches are most important because they're difficult to change so you want them right to begin with. You can change caps & case easily later if you choose.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:31:31 »
Personally, I would say the Leopold FC660M, but it's not a 'true' 60% because of the few extra keys to the right, if that's what you want. Not available with Gateron switches so you would need to settle for Cherry MX Black with this option.

My experience with the POK3R was really loose/rattling stabilizers. Maybe that isn't common. I found it very bothersome. Hard for me to recommend a POK3R based on my experience, but maybe I got a lemon.

Offline Tomasz

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:39:42 »
Well, if you want something which feels like Gateron blacks, wouldn't you just buy the KBP V60 with (you'll never guess) Gateron blacks?

The switches are most important because they're difficult to change so you want them right to begin with. You can change caps & case easily later if you choose.

That's what I thought about. I just don't know how good the build quality is on KBP V60. I would switch from Filco Majestouch TKL modded with Gateron Blacks.

Personally, I would say the Leopold FC660M, but it's not a 'true' 60% because of the few extra keys to the right, if that's what you want. Not available with Gateron switches so you would need to settle for Cherry MX Black with this option.

My experience with the POK3R was really loose/rattling stabilizers. Maybe that isn't common. I found it very bothersome. Hard for me to recommend a POK3R based on my experience, but maybe I got a lemon.

Basically, I want something smaller than Filco Majestouch TKL, so 60% was my guess. I think Leopold F660M is still smaller than TKL, but not sure how much smaller.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:49:20 »
Have you considered building a keyboard, or do you want to just buy one pre-built?

Here are my takes (I own two Pok3rs and one v60)

KBP v60
Pros:
  • Less expensive
  • Sturdy, yet plastic, case
  • Quick layout changes through dip switches (one of which supports remapping function key to caps lock...where I prefer)

Cons:
  • Rather non-intuitive function layer that is not remappable.  (function + T/G for home/end?  really?  Pok3r just gets it better by default (function + H (Home), function + N (eNd).  Plus they next to your right homing finger.
  • ABS keycaps

Vortex Pok3r:

Pros:
  • Stout (steel case)
  • Quick layout changes through dip switches
  • Fully programmable (great if you know you like and need macros)
  • Intuitive function layer by default.
  • PBT keycaps

Cons:
  • Harder to toggle bottom right side arrow cluster (Shift+win+menu+Control)  than it is on the V60.  I think anyone who cannot adapt to the arrow cluster on IJKL or WASD with function key will want to be able to have it on the bottom right.
  • $20-30 more expensive

ABS vs PBT may seem non-important if you plan to put on different caps, but remember that the v60 isn't as intuitive and changing the keycaps will have you searching for PDFs of the function layer until you get it memorized.

Pok3r only offers cherry switches, whereas v60 offers Gateron.  Gateron feel smoother but have a bit more wobble.  I like both, for different reasons, so this wouldn't be a factor for me.  Both boards have black available,which is my favorite linear so far (reds are just too darn light for me).

If you're only use it to game or type occasionally, I'd say save the $20 and get the v60.  If you know you are going to code or write documents with it, I whole-heartedly recommend the Pok3r.  Also, if you do have some extra key sets laying around, you could consider the WASD VP3 61 barebones, which IS the vortex poker without keycaps, for the same price as the v60.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:59:05 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:50:40 »

My stablizers are not too loud on my Pok3r, but hard to compare them to my v60 bc it has Matias Click.... sooo you hear a lot of stuff clanking.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:57:24 »

My stablizers are not too loud on my Pok3r, but hard to compare them to my v60 bc it has Matias Click.... sooo you hear a lot of stuff clanking.
The problem with mine is that they were noticeably loose. I could easily wiggle them while they were installed in the metal plate. On other keyboards like those from Leopold I noticed the stabilizers were very firm and did not move at all if I tried check whether they were tightly installed.

Offline Tomasz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:59:34 »
Have you considered building a keyboard, or do you want to just buy one pre-built?

I think I want to just buy a pre-built one. Unfortunately, I suck at building stuff like that.

Also, if you do have some extra key sets laying around, you could consider the WASD VP3 61 barebones, which IS the vortex poker without keycaps, for the same price as the v60.

I do have some extra PBT key sets and that would be awesome, but the cheapest shipping option is 60.72 USD... So to sum it up it would be 160.72 USD + around 23% of the value as tax... In other words, it sucks to be European.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 16:01:16 »
I have a VP3 61 from wasd and a true Pok3r from vortex and I have only noticed one "looser" stabilizer.  It is on the right shift key.  Who knows, maybe you got a lemon or I got a cherry pick :)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 16:48:17 »
I can think of 60% keyboards with customized options on Aliexpress and alike.

ErgoDox EZ is also kind of 60% and it has Gateron black option - it seems to have quite decent build quality.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]