Author Topic: Bottoming out force Model M buckling vs mx green vx mx clear  (Read 5838 times)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Bottoming out force Model M buckling vs mx green vx mx clear
« on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 10:52:52 »
I've used the same IBM Model M keyboard as my daily driver since 1986.  The IJKL keys have had their fair share of work ever since DOOM was released in 1993 :D

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the true force needed to bottom out modem M buckling spring switches compared to either cherry mx green or clear.  "Official" force profiles seem to point to clears taking less force for actuation, but significantly more force for bottoming out, however, I've read that in the real world that the PEAK force might be similar, around 80g.  Greens appear to have a higher actuation point at 80g, and a higher bottoming out force, but again, real world numbers often differ.  Any comments?

Thinking about getting a green or clear based board, and wondering if either of these switching are that much more of a workout compared to my model M.  Thanks.
keyboards.

Offline Tactile

Re: Bottoming out force Model M buckling vs mx green vx mx clear
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 11:36:46 »
Keep in mind, though, that the force curves are different. The required force as you depress a buckling spring switch (and Topre) increases until the "break", then drops. A switch like a Cherry clear has a required force that just increases all the way down.

So the peak required force of a buckling spring switch is not the bottom out force whereas with Cherry it is.

I kind of like the springy, cushy  bottom out feel of clears and I own a couple of Model M boards but I couldn't begin to compare the feel, they're just too different.
REΛLFORCE

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 11:43:57 »
Thanks.  I guess that would create a much different feel.  All I've used are reds, blacks, and browns.  Can't stand linears and browns are much too light.  I guess I'll just have to try some clears and greens on my own.  Have a switch tester coming, which at least is a start but won't help too much.
keyboards.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 12:01:02 »
If you do a Google image search for "keyboard switch force curve" you'll find a lot of graphs which might help answer some of your questions.
REΛLFORCE

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:11:44 »
Like you, my daily driver for decades has been a Model M.. I've used one daily since I got one new with a computer in the early 90s... Using it before I even knew 'mechanical keyboards' were a thing.

I recently wanted to get a board that I could make programmable, and in my search I found that if I wanted an easy to find board similar to my Model M the closest I was likely to get in an off the shelf board was a board with Cherry MX Green.

In comparing the two, the green switch is quite a bit stiffer to bottom out if youre just pressing on one switch individually. The Green and M are quite close in terms of actuating the switch..In my view the harder bottoming out force of the green switch is much less perceptible when actually typing on the board than just testing one switch slowly with your finger.

I type heavily, ..been using a model m for decades, and I'd say using a green switch is not any more of a workout, while the bottom out of the switch is more effort on a cherry green I find that I may bottom out less often, perhaps only on 80% of the keypresses, essentially pressing as hard as I'm used to on my model M.

I keep both boards at my desk (for various reasons) ..and as I type right now, going back and forth between them (one on top of the desk, one in a keyboard tray) the model M does feel slightly looser due to the lower bottoming out weight... kind of like how some of my mid 90s model M boards feel slightly sitffer than my late 80s model M boards... noticeable, but not huge difference.

I can't speak to what clears feel like, but.... there's my ramble about greens.

good luck!

(I'm speaking of a CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with greens, btw)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:13:17 by lemur »
keyboards

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:34:54 »
For what it's worth, I grew up with and then later returned to the Model M and spent years with it as my main board at home. The first modern mechanical keyboard I bought had clears, and I absolutely detested the switches. I stuck with the clears for weeks, and they just never grew on me.

Actuation force aside, the linearly compressed spring results in a ramp up of force towards bottom-out which to me feels mushy, vs the snap of buckling spring.

I am currently typing this on 55g Topre, which is the closest feeling I've found to BS, and has the advantage of being quieter.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 December 2016, 10:01:56 by jamster »