Author Topic: Choice of silent keyboard - HHKB, Realforce  (Read 3431 times)

Offline yossarian_52

Choice of silent keyboard - HHKB, Realforce
« on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 13:03:59 »
Hello everyone,

after browsing the forums as well as youtube, I have made a shortlists that would match my criteria and as I am new to this topic wanted to ask for a little help on the choice.

I currently have a MX browns Filco, but it's slightly too loud for me (well, not just me) and I'd prefer a shorter board without the numpad. I really like the feel of a mech keyboard though, so instead of settling for membrane I started looking for an alternative. I came up with 2 ideas, which seem to get the best opinions - HHKB Type-S and Realforce Silenced.

On a daily basis I typically tend to type as well as use excel extensively (use arrows, page up, page down, home, end, f2 quite a lot).
I have seen there's a separate thread on usage of HHKB, conclusion being all comes down to personal preference. I think I could take a risk with HHKB, but Realforce seems like a more logical solution. My concern is the availability - I would be looking at the ten keyless and it's not available in elitekeyboards or the keyboard co. Any advice on where to shop for this? I am from the EU.

Also, is there a Realforce silenced with uniform weighting or just the variable?

Thanks for all the feedback

JJ

Offline Giorgio

Re: Choice of silent keyboard - HHKB, Realforce
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 13:06:47 »
Pcb mounted keyboards with gmk uniqey clips are the most silent keyboards ever.

Cherry has announced that it will sell some keyboards with silent switches, for example the g80-3000.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 13:10:40 »
Those are both good choices but you also might consider a Leopold. They put some kind of sound dampening material inside the case which doesn't make them silent but does give them a mellow and quite pleasant sound.
REΛLFORCE

Offline moh18one

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 13:42:33 »
keyboardco if you want a Topre

Offline yossarian_52

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 16:11:51 »
Thank you for the answers. Keyboardco does not have the Realforce silenced, asked them in mail.

I see one on Amazon, to be sent from Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Topre-Realforce87Usw-English-Array-Silent-Specifications-And-White-Model-S-/272451763509?hash=item3f6f63fd35:g:7YwAAOSw4GVYLFmR

Is it legitimate? This would be variable weighted?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 01:02:52 »
Thank you for the answers. Keyboardco does not have the Realforce silenced, asked them in mail.

I see one on Amazon, to be sent from Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Topre-Realforce87Usw-English-Array-Silent-Specifications-And-White-Model-S-/272451763509?hash=item3f6f63fd35:g:7YwAAOSw4GVYLFmR

Is it legitimate? This would be variable weighted?

With 99% positive feedback, I have little doubt it's legit, but it's overpriced. And yes, it's variable weighted. You can currently find the black version on Amazon for $259.99
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 01:06:21 »
By the way, the one in the link I posted is fulfilled by Amazon.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 06:11:59 »

Cherry has announced that it will sell some keyboards with silent switches, for example the g80-3000.

you can buy gmk uniqey clips directly from gmk

Offline yossarian_52

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:19:14 »

Thank you for the reply. So this would mean I would need to get another keyboard first as Filco I have is plate-mounted? It looks like an option if I would be able to get one with a nice form factor..

Offline Kilonzi

• Praise the sun!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:43:49 »
I just bought my "HHKB Pro 2 Type-S" from Amazon.jp via a proxy (remambo.jp). Maybe a proxy is an option for you too. It took only two weeks all in all. I was also thinking about getting the Realforce 87U 55g. But as I was using a Filco Minila Air until this week, a TKL board is too big for me.

Offline eesnooonma

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:11:59 »
Get a 55g Realforce and some Hypersphere rings from eBay.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 11:38:53 »

Thank you for the reply. So this would mean I would need to get another keyboard first as Filco I have is plate-mounted? It looks like an option if I would be able to get one with a nice form factor..

In the case of a plate mounted keyboard, you can get the Zeal clips. Not sure how they work though.