Author Topic: Topre Custom Keycaps  (Read 8400 times)

Offline Leviathansix

Topre Custom Keycaps
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 03:59:33 »
Hello, this is my very first post on geekhack!

I've finally made the switch from chiclet style membrane keyboards to my first mechanical, a Leopold FC660C! This keyboard is phenomenal!
While I love the aesthetic of the Grey/ Black, I would like to give my keyboard a bit of flair, probably by replacing the ESC key with a custom cap
However I am finding it extremely difficult to find any custom keycaps that are offered in a Topre switch that match the black/ grey aesthetic
I'm aware that members on this forum sell or trade keycaps which I'm open to purchasing through PayPal
I was also wondering if the community might be able to help me find sites that offered single custom keys for Topre switches as well
So far I've discovered HKP and K3KC. I am looking at buying a Grey Lobo Keycap from K3KC as that's the best one I've seen so far
As a side note, I would be very eager to purchase an HKP Raven in Black/ Trans Red "Darkness", Black/ Red Eyes, or Smoke

Thank you in advance for any input or information!

Offline SICAR187

Re: Topre Custom Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:53:39 »
Hi, I sent you a PM, GL in your search!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:53:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Be aware that K3KC blatantly copies other artisans' designs without giving any credit.  In fact quite the opposite.  His "Lobo" is a rip-off of one of Bro's designs.  Be prepared for bad feedback if you post a picture with one of his keycaps on your keyboard.

Do you want custom Topre keys or artisan ones?

If custom, there are not many around, but EliteKeyboards have a few:

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access#toprekeys

If artisan, you'd be best looking in the various Artisan Services threads to see what's available.  Some are available secondhand, but generally are very inflated prices.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:13:34 »
Hot Keys Project is currently running a sale on blanks.. For artisans, keep an eye out here and r/mechmarket
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:15:57 by metalliccharles »

Offline Leviathansix

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 00:47:38 »
Hello and thanks for all the replies!
I actually did do a little research, stumbled upon Clack Factory keys, their worth and the hatred that K3KC receives because of plagiarized designs.
Because of this I've decided to just wait it out, possibly for a HKP Raven I actually want

Also I'll dig around that thread, I have actually browsed HKP but although I like the black maroon 2 tone caps, I might resolve not to get them simply because I haven't memorized all the FN functions on this keyboard. Blanking won't help haha

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 12:57:52 »
Hello and thanks for all the replies!
I actually did do a little research, stumbled upon Clack Factory keys, their worth and the hatred that K3KC receives because of plagiarized designs.
Because of this I've decided to just wait it out, possibly for a HKP Raven I actually want

Also I'll dig around that thread, I have actually browsed HKP but although I like the black maroon 2 tone caps, I might resolve not to get them simply because I haven't memorized all the FN functions on this keyboard. Blanking won't help haha

I've actually dyed my topre keycaps purple with iDye poly. You can check out the pics here  - http://m.imgur.com/a/QTMCM

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:32:45 »
Hello, welcome to wallethack!

Congrats on your FC660C, you're off to a great start!! It is a very solid keyboard. If you like topre switches you can check out the HHKB too :D

If you want a wolf keycap to decorate your keyboard and don't want to support thieves, keep an eye out for Bro's lycan: https://d2lraglvfaoc4l.cloudfront.net/uploads/bro_product/image/10/md_65c48057132ad04ecdaf70ac7b3ea7d9.jpg.
They are great and usually go for reasonable price.