Author Topic: Topre keyboards thoughts  (Read 4590 times)

Offline anorphirith

Topre keyboards thoughts
« on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 15:28:19 »
So it seems like Topre won't let HHKB or Leopold build a regular TLK or a regular fullsize keyboards because I'm assuming they have contracts with Topre to ensure Leopold or HHKB doesn't compete with their Realforce line.
I'm deducing this by the fact that Leopold has had an FC750 and FC900 out for years now & that they never made them in Topre. And HHKB keeping to their 60% configuration.

It also seems like mainstream manufacturers won't dive into making their own Topre switches because it's too much of a cost and too big of a risk to make new switches.

All of this suck because there's really one choice for someone who simply wants a classic layout keyboard with topre switches: Realforce.
And they're far from having the best feel / build. They feel much inferior than the Leopolds.
What I wish they had : 
-Noise dampening pad,
-Rubber on the feets,
-Detachable usb c cable,
-Less play in the keys & a more solid feeling like the FC660C
-A more even switch weigh consistency,
-That they would delete that big ugly bezel on top.
and some dreams like the options to have a stock silenced 55g, a metal case like the pok3er & SA PBT doubleshot caps (yeah it's possible)
heck I would pay 500$ for that keyboard

Anyway that was my little rant here, I'm sure some of you my not agree with some of the above, but everyone can agree that having more choice in Topre keyboards would be great

Offline devoi

Re: Topre keyboards thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 16:21:37 »
Most if not all of these things are somewhat easy possibilities, just aftermarket - and rather than having a contract type agreement against making TKLs, it's probably more of a reduction of competition. AFAIK leopold actually manufactures some realforces, and the 660C really isn't a bad option if you're looking for a near-stock 60% config. The HHKB has an official "anti-vibration" pad (granted, it's the only official keyboard with one), but it's not too difficult to attach rubber to the feet of any board really. That RF bezel is somewhat required as they have all the electronics for key-scanning and usb handling in the bezel.

I haven't really noticed any play in the keys of any topre keyboard, or any modern consistency issues for that matter. If you do want the consistent silenced 55g, it's possible, but of course you do need to buy 2 keyboards just for it, and with norbauer's work having a metal case is actually a possibility (as well as that usb-c addition).
From what I've heard, SA really doesn't pair too well with topre, but hipro can be wonderful. All of your points are valid additions that topre can work towards, but part of their cleverness is that they have all these features all in separate $200-300 keyboards which causes buyers to spend upwards of like $1500 to get their "dream keyboard".

Offline anorphirith

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 13:50:23 »
thanks for the reply, I just bought a norbauer case for it.
also the 87U I just got feels miles better than the 104UG

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:23:53 »
So it seems like Topre won't let HHKB or Leopold build a regular TLK or a regular fullsize keyboards because I'm assuming they have contracts with Topre to ensure Leopold or HHKB doesn't compete with their Realforce line.
I'm deducing this by the fact that Leopold has had an FC750 and FC900 out for years now & that they never made them in Topre. And HHKB keeping to their 60% configuration.

It also seems like mainstream manufacturers won't dive into making their own Topre switches because it's too much of a cost and too big of a risk to make new switches.

All of this suck because there's really one choice for someone who simply wants a classic layout keyboard with topre switches: Realforce.
And they're far from having the best feel / build. They feel much inferior than the Leopolds.
What I wish they had : 
-Noise dampening pad,
-Rubber on the feets,
-Detachable usb c cable,
and some dreams like the options to have a stock silenced 55g, a metal case like the pok3er & SA PBT doubleshot caps (yeah it's possible)

Anyway that was my little rant here, I'm sure some of you my not agree with some of the above, but everyone can agree that having more choice in Topre keyboards would be great

Having more choice in Topre-switch keyboards would be great. There's no good reason I know of why it couldn't happen. It's sort of strange that there isn't more choice. Even just special edition runs - Topre does do that (e.g., I have a 10th Anniversary uniform 45g Silenced), but they could do much more. Like why not just put out a run of 55g silenced KBs? I would jump on that. No additional investment needed by them to manufacture a run of those. Or a case-mounted HHKB-like build of a TKL or Full Size would be great - HHKB Type-S is a very special typing experience that is limited to one IMO highly flawed layout.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:49:38 »

What I wish they had : 
-Noise dampening pad,
-Rubber on the feets,
-Detachable usb c cable,

Having more choice in Topre-switch keyboards would be great. There's no good reason I know of why it couldn't happen. It's sort of strange that there isn't more choice. Even just special edition runs - Topre does do that (e.g., I have a 10th Anniversary uniform 45g Silenced), but they could do much more. Like why not just put out a run of 55g silenced KBs? I would jump on that. No additional investment needed by them to manufacture a run of those. Or a case-mounted HHKB-like build of a TKL or Full Size would be great - HHKB Type-S is a very special typing experience that is limited to one IMO highly flawed layout.
Yeah it would be cool if we could see topre boards from other brands just to make it different it would be cool if we could see manufactures do their own stuff to topre like mx stems. Just something to make it different. 

Offline moh18one

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 11:52:33 »
You have just to wait for the upcoming Realforce R2 TKL

Imagine this one without the numpad https://kbgangster.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/015.jpg

Topre also include the key spacers in the whole packaging, which work like a dampening pad and they can also shortened the keys travel.

Some people might not like the new design but it brings with it some advantage such as the huge bezel that retires, a standard bottom row (in fact the Realforce R2 and RGB both share the a similar PCB and the same case) and (probably) a stock PBT spacebar because I think that if they can produce a 4U spacebar for the JIS layout it shouldn't be that  difficult to make a 6.25U one.  The most important thing among all these advantages is that  it's going to be less complicated to find a silenced keyboards with 55g domes.

Only, the detachable usb c is missing but it shouldn't take to much before someone in this community design an aluminium case with a custom controller for it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 15:34:12 »

Imagine this one without the numpad https://kbgangster.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/015.jpg

Topre also include the key spacers in the whole packaging, which work like a dampening pad and they can also shortened the keys travel.

Some people might not like the new design but it brings with it some advantage such as the huge bezel that retires, a standard bottom row (in fact the Realforce R2 and RGB both share the a similar PCB and the same case) and (probably) a stock PBT spacebar because I think that if they can produce a 4U spacebar for the JIS layout it shouldn't be that  difficult to make a 6.25U one.  The most important thing among all these advantages is that  it's going to be less complicated to find a silenced keyboards with 55g domes.

Only, the detachable usb c is missing but it shouldn't take to much before someone in this community design an aluminium case with a custom controller for it.

😲

A 45g RealForce in a standard 87 key TKL case with PBT caps and a USB-C port would be my end-game, I think.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 16:41:01 »
Quote from: moh18one link=topic=93536.msg2550591#msg2550591
date=1516557153

😲

A 45g RealForce in a standard 87 key TKL case with PBT caps and a USB-C port would be my end-game, I think.

Personally, I would be the happiest  man in the world, if someday there is a 75% keyboard with these switches. However, I won't be against a TKL with retooled and factory silenced cherry mx sliders + PPS keycaps.  :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 16:45:24 by moh18one »