Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 284240 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

[IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!
« on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 17:27:54 »
[IC] SKB2

LATEST PICTURE

LATEST UPDATES

- RAL1013 photos
- vote results
- stainless steel photos
- more photos
- beige vote
- SKB2-75 + Nautilus
- SKB2-65 + Taro R2

Hi, I'm Plastikschnittstelle and some of you may know me from my recent SKB GB. Designing bent sheet metal parts is something I really enjoy and after the design of SKB1 was done, I couldn't stop thinking about improvements, variations and developing it further. I don't want to write a lot about the concept and design choices, since the core idea is mostly unchanged compared to SKB1 (see IC and GB).

Like with SKB1, my intension is still to offer a more affordable alternative to all the awesome but also expensive cnc aluminum cases. Utilizing an alternative production method but still offering the feeling and features we expect from a solid, top-mounted, cnc case.

So here is the interest check for SKB2 (the name might change, it's just a working title for now). It is a steel case made of bent sheet metal parts. The angle is still adjustable, though the mechanism has changed. Gasket mounted plates have become a big thing and I think for a good reason. With SKB1 it was already possible to accommodate a dampened mounting of the plate. The SKB2 design more consequently integrates this idea, the plate is now mounted with grommets to isolate it from the case. Screws are still punching through the top. I still like the exposed screw heads, even with a light colored case, I consider it an honest and straight forward approach. It may look very similar to SKB1 but it was not just a matter of switching materials. It's quite different, though it may not be obvious.

The powder coating finish will allow for a wide choice of colors. I plan two, maybe more options, depending on the interest four color options (beige, gray, black and yellow). Like SKB1, many versions and sizes are possible, again depending on the interest, even TKL and bigger is a possibility this time. I'd like to offer PCBs as well, I'll work out something, open for suggestions. PCBs from Maartenwut will be available to add.

For the plate (also steel) I'm experimenting with a new kind of finish. SKB1's plate was "brüniert" (still not sure what the correct translation is). I still want the plate to be matte black to not be reflective and not look bling-bling. Compared to "brünieren" the treatment now has a deeper black and is more resistant and durable. Plate looks a bit smudgy on the pictures due to the lube from the switches (gixies). Tried relief cuts in this plate, will test more with that.

Since this type of case is something new, there is not really a reference. That's why I plan on sending the next prototypes to independent reviewers. Planned after I'm done with building some prototypes from the 3rd batch and good pictures are taken.

Details
  • material: steel and stainless steel
  • angles: 6°, 8°, 10° and 12°
  • top mount construction
  • isolated plate via grommets
  • plate with relief cuts
  • plate is 8mm deep
  • first/lowest key row is kept as low as possible
  • weight of case with plate: 1.2kg (60%)
  • weight of complete build: 1.5kg (60%), 2.1kg (TKL)
  • pricing: TBD
  • timeline: quicker than SKB1
  • sizes and versions: 40%, 60%, 65%, 75%, 80% and 95% all depending on interest (decided)
  • still made in Germany but different manufacturer

Sizes & versions

Various sizes and versions will be available. Some are already sure, more will probably be added later (please let me know what you'd like to see) Sizes and versions are final:
  • 40% Ortholinear
  • 60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS62, Boardwalk
  • 65% Standard, 0.5U bottom row blocker, 0.5U bottom row blocker & 2U right column blocker
  • 75% (not KBD75-style instead a new custom design, SKB2-75)
  • TKL Standard, WKL
  • not 1800 but something similar: SKB2-95
Here is an overview of all sizes and versions:

PCBs

You will have the option to add PCBs designed by Maartenwut:
  • SKB2-40: Eon40
  • SKB2-60: Plain60-C
  • SKB2-65: TA65 Eon65 (USB-C)
  • SKB2-75: Eon75 (USB-C)
  • SKB2-TKL: Eon87 (USB-C)
  • SKB2-95: Eon95 (USB-C)

Here you can see the layouts that the PCBs supports.

Coatings & colors

Two different kind of coatings/finishes will be offered. Powder coating for the steel cases and a stainless steel version which gets bead blasted and nickel coated. In the beginning the only powder coating color I knew I wanted to offer was beige in order to fit OG classic beige cherry keycaps. After a few more colors were discussed, I settled on four different colors for powder coating (beige, gray, black and yellow). The specific RAL color that will be used as beige is jet to be decided, a google form for voting will follow.
For more details on the powder coating and stainless steel option, please read the various posts regarding this, scattered throughout the thread. The update section at the end of this start post should help you find important posts quickly.

More

1st prototype

For the first prototype I wanted the color to match classic beige as close as possible. Powder coating colors are RAL and after comparing non-yellowed caps to the sample colors of my RAL book I decided for RAL9001. As it turned out it matches the alpha base color of GMK carbon better that that of classic beige. I'll try RAL9002 next (update: already done with the 2nd prototype batch, in the upcoming 3rd batch I'm trying RAL1013). Something that fits classic beige is something I personally want. Open for suggestions regarding further color options, I think some dark grey would be nice but it could vey well be something popping (update: colors already decided).

Here are the pictures, all at 12° angle:

2nd prototype batch

Here are some pictures of the 2nd prototype batch, including a different RAL color for beige, gray to fit dolch and stainless steel was introduced (more pictures of them can be found in this post):

1st and 2nd prototypes on the desk

Took some pictures of builds from batch one and two. On a desk. Comparing two different RAL options for beige. Here is the rest of the pictures:

3nd prototype batch

Latest Prototypes. This is just the first build from this batch, more will follow. Here are more pictures of this wob build.

Renderings

Here are some renderings. More can be found throughout the thread. Also linked in the update section below:

In the beginning a lot of color option were on the table. Here are some older renderings that show different sizes in various RAL colors that were discussed (more throughout the thread):

More

Typing demo

Posted here.

If you are interested, please fill out the IC form:
KLICK

Early Bird
If you want to help finance the next round of prototypes and get SKB2 for a lower price, compared to GB later, you can do so by filling out this early bird form:
- was open from 2019/11/22 to 2019/11/22
- was open from 2020/01/19 to 2020/01/20
- was open from 2020/03/16 to 2020/03/17
- currently closed

KLICK

Updates:
Todo:
  • present first prototype / start IC
  • renderings to demonstrate different versions and colors
  • second batch of prototypes
  • what is wrong with the glossy powder coating?
  • take better pictures of the prototypes (indoor setup)
  • third batch of prototypes
  • TKL PCB (Eon87) ready
  • 65% PCB (Eon65) ready
  • 75% PCB (Eon75) and 95% PCB (Eon95) ready
  • take more pictures (currently happening)
  • send out some prototypes to review
  • final decision which colors to offer
  • final decision which sizes and versions to offer
  • set up a discord channel
  • start GB

FAQ:

Q: What is included?
A: The case, the plate and accessories like nuts.

Q: What about the PCBs?
A: For every case a PCB will be available to add. Almost all are designed by Maartenwut, they run QMK, have VIA support and come with USB type C. Scroll up to find more details here in the start post.

Q: RGB?
A: Please leave!

Q: Boardwalk PCB?
A: The Boardwalk PCB is the only one you'll have to get elsewhere. It's sold via MKUltra. Ask Silentreader for a Euro proxy.

Q: YAS62 PCB?
A: I have exactly eight left from my last GB. They are the only reason a SKB2 YAS version will be made. There will be not more than eight (Except you already have the PCB and just want the case).

Q: Hotswap?
A: No, Maarten's PCBs don't support hot swap.

Q: Can I use another PCB?
A: Yes, if you prefer a different PCB (maybe because of hot swap capability) you can do so. SKB2 is a top mount construction, so you don't need to care about screw hole compatibility. Just make sure the USB port is at the correct position.

Q: How much will it cost?
A: Prices are not set jet. Too many variables. Rough estimate is that the smallest 40% will land slightly under 100€ and the biggest 95% version will be around 150€. That's without the PCB and Shipping.

Q: What colors will be offered?
A: Four colors and one Stainless Steel version. The colors are beige (RAL...), grey (RAL7039), black (RAL9005) and yellow (RAL1023). Three RAL colors for beige are in discussion, we'll decide soon via google form.

Q: Powder coating, what is that?
A: It's a durable type of technical coating. It's like baked into the metal. Google it!

Q: Which sizes and versions will be available?
A: Scroll a bit up please, it's all in this start post. Picture!

Q: Only this Geekhack IC thread? Am I missing something? Discord, Instagram, anything else?
A: Yes, for now everything happens here and nowhere else. Once the GroupBuy starts, I'll have a discord server ready.

Q: Discord?
A: Yes, see previous answer. I'll have a discord server ready when the GroupBuy starts, not just jet.

Q: Will you offer plates made of other materials than steel?
A: The only other option I'm currently checking out is brass. I'll be able to tell soon. Noting else apart from that.

Q: I want a custom plate.
A: I'll make a custom plate file for everyone who wants it. Let's just wait with that until the GroupBuy has started.

Q: When will the GroupBuy finally start?
A: Check out the todo section above. ETA roughly two weeks from now.

Q: How can I help?
A: Use the banner in your signature or show your support with a post to let me know you like it. That makes me happy.

GUDE aus Bornheim!

Do you like this project?
If so, please consider adding the following to your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.0][img width=777 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/x2ZlmBY.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:11:22 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline fcoury

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, decoupled plate, powder coated
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 17:29:22 »
Not picking up first round was one of the worst regrets I had on the hobby. So goes without saying that I wholeheartedly support this! 😊

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 17:48:13 »
I did not like bent steel cases until I saw this post. Wow.

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:10:52 »
I joined the first round and I am super happy with how the cases turned out. If you add TKL as an option this time around it's a instabuy for me.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:12:52 »
I like it, perhaps not on white but maybe a dark grey or dark blue.
Can you show us a view of the mounting system ?
What are the rear feet made of ?
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline mydens

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:23:29 »
Why not use sunken rivets so its flush with the board? Nice idea but the rivets is throwing me off....they're too prominent imo.

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:37:58 »
Why not use sunken rivets so its flush with the board? Nice idea but the rivets is throwing me off....they're too prominent imo.

yes, I'm celebrating the screws instead of trying to hide them.
"sunken rivets so its flush"
do you mean countersunk screwheads by that? countersunk actually looks bigger although they are flush and since the color is what makes the contrast and them stick out visually, it wouldn't make a difference. my very first SKB1 prototype had countersunk screws, after that I tried those you see here and I never wanted to go back. if you want it you just have to accept the screws as important part of the design.

Offline w3bb0

• Keyboard Moment
    • Breakpoint
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:39:53 »
Will the plates support iso, loving the case design!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:43:25 »
I like it, perhaps not on white but maybe a dark grey or dark blue.
What are the rear feet made of ?

rear feet is also a steel part. with this feet (one part) you adjust the angle, you can do so without opening the case (without unscrewing bottom from top part).
mounting sure, I'll make some illustrations from CAD and show them tomorrow, now it's too late here, almost two hours after midnight, gotta go to sleep.

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:47:10 »

of course. how many different layouts will be decided based on interest. for SKB1 there were quite a few different plates available, all were ANSI/ISO unified (except the orthos of course  ;D) hope it won't be much different this time. though having ANSI and ISO not unified but be able to offer seperate plates would be awesome - but for that to happen, the interest would have to be quite high.

Offline w3bb0

• Keyboard Moment
    • Breakpoint
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 18:49:58 »

of course. how many different layouts will be decided based on interest. for SKB1 there were quite a few different plates available, all were ANSI/ISO unified (except the orthos of course  ;D) hope it won't be much different this time. though having ANSI and ISO not unified but be able to offer seperate plates would be awesome - but for that to happen, the interest would have to be quite high.
That sounds awesome, looking forward to this!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline turnstyle

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:14:43 »
Having participated in round 1 with a SKB65/75/YAS definitely in again for another 75%, absolutely love the boards.  :thumb:

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:29:35 »
Will Boardwalk Support return?
Rubber 'gaskets' on the standoffs could be a nice gimmick.
Edit: I'm dumb and read nothing... thats already the new feature this round :-[

yes, I'm celebrating the screws instead of trying to hide them.
"sunken rivets so its flush"
do you mean countersunk screwheads by that? countersunk actually looks bigger although they are flush and since the color is what makes the contrast and them stick out visually, it wouldn't make a difference. my very first SKB1 prototype had countersunk screws, after that I tried those you see here and I never wanted to go back. if you want it you just have to accept the screws as important part of the design.

Screws on top are cute, they remind me of the keyboard used in the movie War Games (and other late 70's early 80's designs that prioritized durability and ease of manufacturer over the tooling cost of plastic)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:32:39 by Rayndalf »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 19:37:48 »
I love my SKB, really do. I'll definitely pick up one from this round.

Far as wants go, I'd really like for you to support YAS again (if the changes allow for that, as well as being able to source PCBs and whatnot). I personally am very much into powder/cerakoting, I feel like it's way more versatile and just better than anodisation, so that definitely is a very strong plus for me and I like the idea of a classic beige for the finish a lot. Obviously people are gonna want something like a gunmetal or black, but I'd like to see some wacky colour(s) like neon pink or lime green or something because I feel like it'd clash well with the industrial design of the board.

Very exciting!

Offline BlueViola

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 20:39:11 »
I like this, and I think the color helps elevate it into something a little more impressive than it would otherwise be.  Just my personal response.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 21:24:33 »
really loving my skb75 (my current work board) and would 100% grab this too. the only gripe i have with the r1 board is that the finish picks up smudges pretty easily from just touching it or it rubbing against other things, so seeing that you're going with a different manu and finish is awesome (that beige is beautiful, too). also looks like the screws that determine the angle will go in from the back now? that part of building my skb gave me some trouble, so i certainly hope this the case. i'd LOVE to see an skb tkl, but i'll still buy one either way  :p

Offline Darth WTF

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 03:48:37 »
I think "bluing" is the translation for brünieren you're looking for.

Also the board looks absolutely amazing, I'll keep my eyes peeled for sure.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 04:22:30 »
Maybe some more info on how the plate mounting actually works now? :)

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 04:26:27 »
looking very nice! Any pics of bottom of the case?

Offline qwertypoiu

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 06:49:11 »
Yes, totally in!

From your previous posts it sounded like you won't do another run on the SKB series ... really happy that you develop this further.

I also like that the screws are exposed ... adds to the overall "industrial" design aesthetic. I like the SKB1 cutout above the usb slot ... would be nice if you could carry this "feature" over to the SKB2 :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 06:52:50 by qwertypoiu »

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 06:53:50 »

I made two animated gifs, hope they help:
229419-0 229421-1

the parts that I use to realize the isolation are "Durchgangstüllen". google translate tells me the english word is "grommets":

229425-2
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 15:46:21 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 06:55:36 »
looking very nice! Any pics of bottom of the case?

made an explosion illustration, this shows the bottom part as well:
229423-0

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 07:00:51 »
From your previous posts it sounded like you won't do another run on the SKB series

...SKB in aluminum(+beadblasting+anodizing), that will not happen again. So SKB1 will stay unique.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 07:14:03 »
The Key Learning experience that was building my SKB75 makes me Think Kind, Lovely ideas about another round of these custom keyboards.

I got plenty of pre-built units in several form factors, but custom? Just Two Keyboards Laying around in my desk, both of them 75%. One guess as to where they came from.

Although... perhaps I'd like to get another form factor in this next round. ;)

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 07:27:30 »
... I think I got you  ;)

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 07:57:24 »
Im in love with this design, and if its around the same price point as last round, I might get in on this. But I will need a 65% if that is at all possible.

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:03:42 »
...looking at the first votes in the IC form, I can already tell you that 65% will be for sure. maybe even a second 65% with blockers, we'll see.

Offline raphaelf

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:15:23 »
Man, an alice-like SKB would be awesome! Please consider it :D
You should allow text input to suggest other layouts on "something else".

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:24:37 »
the versions to vote for in the ic form are just for me to get a rough idea of what might be. later there will be a vote for specific versions.
whatever comes to your mind, just let me know here.
something alice-like is also possible, depends on the interest.
skb2 is now very easy to adapt to various flavors.

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:29:49 »
An Alice version would be pretty interesting

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:34:37 »
Any probability of a tkl case wk/wkl compatible with h87a/leeku styles pcbs?

The Key Learning

Lol, maybe?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:36:24 by wholypantalones »

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:37:58 »

that is totally possible. I'm surprised how much want tkl according to the ic form answers. if tkl then it is also not a big deal to offer wk&wkl, just like I offered wk&wkl&hhkb for 60% back in the SKB1-GB.
oh and regarding PCBs , SKB can take almost any pcb you throw at it, just the usb cutout has to be at the right position and the plate should support your desired layout of course. but it is too early to talk about specific plate layouts right now.
afaik all tkl pcbs have the usb at the same position, between alpha and nav block.
I'll make some pics of tkl...
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:43:48 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:38:54 »
I'm very pleased with R1, and now a possible powder coated steel R2 has me excited!

One set of keyboards that's impossible to find an angled metal case for is the OLKB Planck & Preonic. Would buy multiple if that was offered here.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 08:49:03 »

that is totally possible. I'm surprised how much want tkl according to the ic form answers. if tkl then it is also not a big deal to offer wk&wkl, just like I offered wk&wkl&hhkb for 60% back in the SKB1-GB.
oh and regarding PCBs , SKB can take almost any pcb you throw at it, just the usb cutout has to be at the right position and the plate should support your desired layout of course. but it is too early to talk about specific plate layouts right now.
afaik all tkl pcbs have the usb at the same position, between alpha and nav block.
I'll make some pics of tkl...

Nice! Yes, most compatible pcbs have the usb at top or bottom side and right placement.

Here's the TKL Compatibility list for reference: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96123.0

Offline online

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:04:31 »
Looks so good!
Is the bottom case also powder coated?

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:07:25 »
Is the bottom case also powder coated?

yes,
the case itself consists of three parts:
the top, the bottom and the foot/stand.
these three parts are all made of steel and are all powder coated.

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:28:33 »
Absolutely love my SKB75. Would definitely be in for a non-black SKB2 in either TKL or Alice layout!!!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:33:42 »

Speaking of the material of the parts, I assume you are dead set on the plate also being steel? Or would you be open to offering a couple alternate materials without much trouble, eg. CF or POM etc.

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:47:50 »

Speaking of the material of the parts, I assume you are dead set on the plate also being steel? Or would you be open to offering a couple alternate materials without much trouble, eg. CF or POM etc.

depending on the interest I could maybe consider some other metal like brass - but absolutely no promise here.
CF or POM are materials I have no experience of. this will not happen. but this doesn't rule out a CF or POM or any other material plate because like with SKB1, I'll help everyone who wants his/her custom plate made. I made a lot of custom plate DXF plate files for skb1. I know one has made a CF plate. so although I'll probably not offer it directly, I'll try my best to help anyone realizing a custom plate by providing a DXF file and advice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:49:56 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 09:53:22 »
depending on the interest I could maybe consider some other metal like brass - but absolutely no promise here.
CF or POM are materials I have no experience of. this will not happen. but this doesn't rule out a CF or POM or any other material plate because like with SKB1, I'll help everyone who wants his/her custom plate made. I made a lot of custom plate DXF plate files for skb1. I know one has made a CF plate. so although I'll probably not offer it directly, I'll try my best to help anyone realizing a custom plate by providing a DXF file and advice.

Completely understandable and I appreciate the sentiment. I have little interest in brass personally, I find steel to be more interesting so if anything I'll try and get a PC or POM plate done later on with the DXF files.

Thanks for the response!

Offline norb

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 11:47:34 »
just filled the IC form. TKL +90000  :-*

i've followed your first SKB development but wasn't sure if the form factors you offered were for me, but if you offer a TKL i'd be totally in. preferably a nice white or a popping color, but would also take a black one. everything is better than beige  :p though the prototype looks pretty nice, seems to be a very bright beige, nearly white.

also +1 for the black screws on the bright case, compliments the industrial look! :thumb:

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 12:26:57 »
Really like the industrial look. do you make them in 40?
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 16:06:33 »
do you make them in 40?

A 40% version? This would make a lot of bezel compared to keyarea. but one could feel the same about this case and 60%. my personal favorite is 60% and that is not because of its size. I like a well sized bezel around my keys, it's like putting them into a pictureframe. 40% in a nice frame - why not. depends on the interest of course. I'll adapt it to 40 and render it, then we can have a look, probably tomorrow.

TKL as well tomorrow, couldn't do it today.

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 17:16:23 »

I made two animated gifs, hope they help:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

the parts that work as dampeners/decouplers here are actually "Durchgangstüllen":

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Nice, I like it.

my concerns :
  • rear feet seem a bit aggressive for desktop surface
  • how powder coating resists through time ?
  • I would like screws same color as top (or approaching)

my wish : add a kensington compatible hole ?  :D
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 17:18:55 »
+1 for TKL!

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 17:30:18 »
Oh, yes please. I'm in for a beige 65% with blockers.

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 17:44:34 »
my concerns :
  • rear feet seem a bit aggressive for desktop surface
  • how powder coating resists through time ?
  • I would like screws same color as top (or approaching)

my wish : add a kensington compatible hole ?  :D

1) rear feet: you're right, that's my concern as well, but I think I'll have a (ruber-feet-like) solution for that with the next prototype
2) powder coating: it's very resistant, it's like baked into the surface of the metal. custom car parts are also powder coated for example, it can endure a lot. it is also a very common and widely used method.
3) screw colors: hm, don't think that can be achieved easily. you can't add any coating or additional layer to a screw, it wouldn't work as a screw anymore. the only coloring of screws that I'm aware of is anodizing of aluminum screws. it's expensive and the silvery look on anodizing probably won't fit the powder coating color. for me the contrasting screws are analogue to the contrast of alpha legends and base.

kesington compatible? is this just about a certain radius cutout? or is there more to it?

bed time now, late in germany, back tomorrow, happy to read more questions and suggestions tomorrow, versions, sizes, colors, hit me ;)

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 18:08:16 »

For screws colors I'll be ok with black on black, black on dark blue or black on dark grey ;)

Kensington is just about a hole with right dimensions. Found this, can't certify it's accurate

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:19:10 »
I liked the design which allowed different size standoffs to be used. I like my caps to be recessed into the keyboard body. Can you please make a bigger usb port opening on the back so you can allow for different size standoffs?

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:41:51 »
I put 65% with blocker on the IC, but 75% and TKL are welcome too! Also I think the visible screws are cool, I'd like to see some hexagonal screws, good opportunity to slap some aesthetic ass screws on there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:43:55 by ilemondrop »