Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 284273 times)

Offline Handke

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 03:45:25 »
This project is fantastic, but I'm not sure that I'll join it for a simple reason, I hate bezels.

Right now I'm using a bezel-less gmmk keyboard, and it's such a joy to use when compared to a keyboard with a bezel, like the g80-3000. With that keyboard, my left-palm constantly touches the border, and when you rest your hands that border becomes really annoying. I wonder if the skb2 has the same problem of a g80. Judging by the dimensions it has. Correct me if I'm wrong! thanks
You're describing pretty unhealthy typing posture. Your palm shouldn't really be below the height of the keys when typing. Instead of searching for keyboards that accomodate your posture, you could try changing your posture a bit. Ideally there's a relatively straight line from your arm to your hand. In addition to more healthy wrists, you also get the advantage of being able to use big bezel bad boy boards like this one.

My posture isn't unhealthy at all. When I don't type I rest my hand on the desk, like you rest your hands on the desk when you study or when you write, or when you don't use the mouse. And when I start to type, the bezel gets always in the way even if I keep my hands aligned with my elbow. So, no. I'm doing nothing wrong. Probably the solution is a bigger bezel. Like a 5 ÷ 10 cm bezel. Or no bezel  :p

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #551 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 04:26:33 »
This project is fantastic, but I'm not sure that I'll join it for a simple reason, I hate bezels.

Right now I'm using a bezel-less gmmk keyboard, and it's such a joy to use when compared to a keyboard with a bezel, like the g80-3000. With that keyboard, my left-palm constantly touches the border, and when you rest your hands that border becomes really annoying. I wonder if the skb2 has the same problem of a g80. Judging by the dimensions it has. Correct me if I'm wrong! thanks
You're describing pretty unhealthy typing posture. Your palm shouldn't really be below the height of the keys when typing. Instead of searching for keyboards that accomodate your posture, you could try changing your posture a bit. Ideally there's a relatively straight line from your arm to your hand. In addition to more healthy wrists, you also get the advantage of being able to use big bezel bad boy boards like this one.
My posture isn't unhealthy at all. When I don't type I rest my hand on the desk, like you rest your hands on the desk when you study or when you write, or when you don't use the mouse. And when I start to type, the bezel gets always in the way even if I keep my hands aligned with my elbow. So, no. I'm doing nothing wrong. Probably the solution is a bigger bezel. Like a 5 ÷ 10 cm bezel. Or no bezel  :p
Maybe I understood you incorrectly :/ But if a bezel is getting in the way, you can't really have anything close to a straight line from your elbow to your fingers, no? You must significantly bend your wrist?

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #552 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:12:45 »
I may not have looked hard enough but are there any pics of the bottom of the boards? Just curious as to where the bumpon/feet will be and how it'd sit on the desk.

Here you can see the bottom. This is one from proto batch 2, SKB2-65. The big holes are just from me to be able to have a look inside the case and see if the PCB touches the bottom or not. Will obviously not be present in the final design. The size of the cutouts for screw access may change slightly.

235114-0 235116-1

There are no sticky feet! The grommets do everything here. They are used to mount the plate isolated from the case, they are in the sides where the top and bottom piece are screwed together and they act as feet. Six positions, the three on the back end are only relevant if you use the 6 degree angle, in this position the uni-foot is completely retracted (possible angels: 6, 8, 10 and 12 degrees).

This explosion in an earlier post might also be helpful to get an idea of the bottom.

« Reply #553 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:15:27 »
Can we have a typing video? I want to know how it sounds like :D

Me uploading a typing video does not make a lot of sense, imo. I only have a phone to record and for that I don't even have a good stand. As I had mentioned before, I'll send out boards to review, that will be a good opportunity for a typing test.

Anyway, I made one. Cheap Gateron black switches, lubed:

« Reply #554 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:18:37 »
Would you be able to use something like a ISO HS60 v3 with this case/plate combo?

PCBs from Maartenwut will be available to add. If you want to use a different PCB, that's fine. Since this is a top mount construction and the bezels are pretty wide, you don't need to worry about compatibility a lot. Obviously the usb port hast to be at the correct position and the plate should allow for the layout you want.

If you mean hotswapp PCBs, it should theoretically work but not as easy as with constructions that are made especially for hotswapping. I do have a hotswapp PCB incoming, I will test it.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #555 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:20:18 »
Thanks for the update Chris.

« Reply #556 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:22:10 »

Whether tying on the SKB2 or one of my G80s, the bezels have never been noticeable or in the way or uncomfortable for me. Maybe we have different hands. Regarding the size, they are not as big a the bezels of a G80, it is a few millimeter less in both x and y.

More bezel, less bezel or no bezel at all is mostly a design choice for me.
Having a bezel is not a general problem of any keyboard, it is just your personal problem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:24:19 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #557 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 06:51:53 »
Do you have any estimate on new protos? And will PCB manufacturing process be affected by situation in China?

Offline Anthony9-4

« Reply #558 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 09:25:32 »
Do you have any estimate on new protos? And will PCB manufacturing process be affected by situation in China?
Read the first post. "still made in Germany but different manufacturer"

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #559 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 09:26:16 »
Any updates on the 1800-but-not-really layout? 96key? Like the design a lot, might be in for the 75% if the 1800/96/whatever it is gets made

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 09:42:42 »
Read the first post. "still made in Germany but different manufacturer"

The "made in Germany" only refers to the case, not the PCB.
Don't know if this will be an issue, I'll discuss this with Maarten.

« Reply #561 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:41:37 »
Do you have any estimate on new protos?

Earliest end of next week, probably more the week after that.

« Reply #562 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:08:32 »
Any updates on the 1800-but-not-really layout? 96key? Like the design a lot, might be in for the 75% if the 1800/96/whatever it is gets made

Yes, so there is a 75% (~82key) and 1800-ish (~98key) PCB in development but it will take a bit too long to be ready for the GB. They will be offered in a separate, later round. Too early for details now.

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:12:36 »
will PCB manufacturing process be affected by situation in China?

We think probably not, maybe a slight delay but nothing drastic.

Offline saesh

« Reply #564 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:16:28 »
Do you see any problems using Mill-Max 7305 with the case? I refrained from using them on the Gothic70 because it was not designed for it and other users confirmed it was not a good idea. I know SKB2 is a completely different construction but I want to make sure anyways.

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:23:55 »
Should be fine. Because all of the prototype testing I ordered some TE 8134-HC-8P2 in hope to save some time with this. I'll report when I have made the first build with these sockets.

Offline saesh

« Reply #566 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 13:40:42 »
Great, thanks!

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #567 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 02:24:31 »

Yes, so there is a 75% (~82key) and 1800-ish (~98key) PCB in development but it will take a bit too long to be ready for the GB. They will be offered in a separate, later round. Too early for details now.

Awesome, really hyped for the 98key then! Hope the SKB2 GB goes good and quick so the 98key can come fast!

Offline cadrev

« Reply #568 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 18:12:27 »
Can we have a typing video? I want to know how it sounds like :D

Me uploading a typing video does not make a lot of sense, imo. I only have a phone to record and for that I don't even have a good stand. As I had mentioned before, I'll send out boards to review, that will be a good opportunity for a typing test.

Anyway, I made one. Cheap Gateron black switches, lubed:

Nice! Can’t wait for the GB and I love the yellow version! This supports common 60% pcb’s right?

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 07:31:07 »
Yes, standard 60% PCBs are supported. Since it is a top mount construction you don't need to worry about screw hole positions in the PCB.
You will have the option to add the the Plain60-C from Maartenwut. It has USB-C and runs QMK. Here you can see the layouts which are supported by the PCB and the standard 60% plate:

235694-0

Here I found a nice picture of it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 07:34:06 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #570 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 06:26:00 »
Wob build:

Got back the case parts from powder coating. Still waiting for the inox parts that get nickel treated and the plates. I'm also waiting for some more keycaps to arrive. Need them because atm I don't have anything that would fit the yellow case. When I have everything, I'll take better pictures, not my backyard and poor lighted desk shots you are used from me so far. With what I have so far I made a wob build, RAL9005 Feinstruktur:

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2020, 06:39:32 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #571 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 06:35:49 »
Looking great  :thumb:

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)

Offline saesh

« Reply #573 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:27:17 »
Damn Plastik, I was so happy to finally have decided on the yellow SKB2. Now I see the black one ... I am so undecided.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #574 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:35:07 »
That is a nice black and a nice keyboard :cool:

@plastik
How deep is the black compared to the regular bead blasted R1 would you say?

« Reply #575 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:46:29 »
@plastik

Although the I named this case SKB2, this GB should not be understood as second round. SKB2 keeps a few prominent design elements that were present in SKB1 but apart from that too much has changed to call it a "round 2".

The black of the SKB1 is something very different from the SKB2 black. SKB1 was made of aluminum, SKB2 is steel. SKB1 was anodized, SKB2 is powder coated. Black from anodizing can vary a lot, sometimes deeper sometimes not so deep. The prototype SKB1s all had a relatively deep black anodization. Sadly the production SKB1s anodizing turned out to be not that deep of a black.
A RAL color does not vary, you always get the same. All RAL colors also have a name, the name of RAL9005 is "Tiefschwarz", that translates to "deep black". It is the deepes black from the standard RAL colors. You can get the associated RGB values here. I think it is a really good match for GMK-CR, which we know as base color for common wob sets.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #576 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 15:22:30 »
@plastik

Although the I named this case SKB2, this GB should not be understood as second round. SKB2 keeps a few prominent design elements that were present in SKB1 but apart from that too much has changed to call it a "round 2".

The black of the SKB1 is something very different from the SKB2 black. SKB1 was made of aluminum, SKB2 is steel. SKB1 was anodized, SKB2 is powder coated. Black from anodizing can vary a lot, sometimes deeper sometimes not so deep. The prototype SKB1s all had a relatively deep black anodization. Sadly the production SKB1s anodizing turned out to be not that deep of a black.
A RAL color does not vary, you always get the same. All RAL colors also have a name, the name of RAL9005 is "Tiefschwarz", that translates to "deep black". It is the deepes black from the standard RAL colors. You can get the associated RGB values here. I think it is a really good match for GMK-CR, which we know as base color for common wob sets.

uh oh, i started the German machine ^-^
didn't think to much, typing habit to differentiate easy, didn't wanna confuse if anyone is not fully aware of the difference in the versions. Sleeping in the hour as well on the anodization of the SKB1 :p
tho I personally like it on the SKB1, gives it a little more dusty look.

As you say, i just noticed as how close to CR that powder coat is on the SKB2 Proto. It looks really good Plastik :thumb:

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #577 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 08:48:06 »
This black would look so good with mt3 /dev/tty. Can't wait to build it!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #578 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 13:43:21 »
do you have those keycaps already? I don't but I'm thinking about ordering them for my SKB2 as well, but it's a bit hard to judge if the caps look beige, or more like a cold grey. wondering if those would look good with a beige SKB2. what do you think?

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #579 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 14:28:47 »
do you have those keycaps already? I don't but I'm thinking about ordering them for my SKB2 as well, but it's a bit hard to judge if the caps look beige, or more like a cold grey. wondering if those would look good with a beige SKB2. what do you think?

There's still no confirmed classic beige color for SKB2.
And yeah, dev/tty (at least R1 I had) are not cold gray.

Offline PIZZAMACHINE

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 15:24:08 »
Numpad version too?

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #581 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 19:29:22 »
Ya I do. I got the 65% kit currently available on Drop, the one intended as a replacement for Drop's Alt kb. The alpha keys are somewhat beige. Not super yellow like a lot of 80s plastics look today. More like how they looked when new.
I think it would go nicely with RAL 9002 since it's more neutral. Not sure about the yellower shades imo
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2020, 21:55:21 by eebogaine »

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #582 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 22:31:47 »
Is there a rough estimate (I'd be fine basically any time estimate) for when the gb starts? Or is it pretty far away

« Reply #583 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 13:50:39 »
Is there a rough estimate (I'd be fine basically any time estimate) for when the gb starts? Or is it pretty far away

The todo section in the start post shows what still needs to be done before the GroupBuy can start. You are right, there are no dates mentioned. So far I have tried not to be too specific regarding the timeline. I had hoped for the actual GB to start this month but looking at what still needs to be done, I don't think I can still get there this month. Regarding this is already the third prototype batch and even more plate prototypes, I think that it is progressing very well. I think mid to late march is realistic.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 13:54:45 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #584 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 14:14:00 »

The todo section in the start post shows what still needs to be done before the GroupBuy can start. You are right, there are no dates mentioned. So far I have tried not to be too specific regarding the timeline. I had hoped for the actual GB to start this month but looking at what still needs to be done, I don't think I can still get there this month. Regarding this is already the third prototype batch and even more plate prototypes, I think that it is progressing very well. I think mid to late march is realistic.

sweet! thanks for the info

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 06:32:45 »
After so many pages, I'm somewhat lost, is a 60% boardwalk a solid option for the GB? (would be my first ergo, and would have to get a keycaps kit on one of the current GB). Anybody knows?

« Reply #586 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 06:45:08 »
Yes, Boarwalk is confirmed.
I know, it's a lot.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #587 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 06:48:55 »
Thanks Plastic, I knew I read it but couldn't find it anymore and thought I mixed the info with the SKB1.

Offline consumer

« Reply #588 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 20:15:59 »
After so many pages, I'm somewhat lost, is a 60% boardwalk a solid option for the GB? (would be my first ergo, and would have to get a keycaps kit on one of the current GB). Anybody knows?
Same here. Boardwalk will be my first Ergo. So I’m actually looking forward to SKB2. Still struggling to find any current GB that offers Cherry profile in GMK standard. Anybody knows of any? There are some KAT profiles and a KAM Wraith that might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #589 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 02:04:59 »
Same here. Boardwalk will be my first Ergo. So I’m actually looking forward to SKB2. Still struggling to find any current GB that offers Cherry profile in GMK standard. Anybody knows of any? There are some KAT profiles and a KAM Wraith that might work.

Kam Wraith is a nice and safe option if you're into vintage computers and Ergo, but in Cherry profile I can see GMK Nord, GMK Taro, maybe GMK Future Funk (mixing orthos + space Kits?), GMK Bushido, even GMK Modern Dolch light could be OK with its obscure kit (but not 100% certain). Have a look here

Offline killchain

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 05:31:35 »

If you're not dead set on GMK/ABS, there's also the PBT Hive running until around the end of the week, it's also Cherry profile like GMK, I think it can cover a 60% ortho (although the kits are broken down a bit weird, for a 60% ortho you'd have to go with the Mega kit and only use 2/3 of everything, i.e. no separate ortho kit). I joined, although I'm going with stagger (75%, TKL or 1800-like, will decide when the GB starts).

Offline wing1098

« Reply #591 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 04:06:10 »
wanna know how much it will be :p :p

Offline consumer

« Reply #592 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 05:55:43 »
thanks for the tips. I think there’s also GMK Nord coming. Now I’m hyped for the SKB2.

« Reply #593 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:11:01 »
wanna know how much it will be :p :p

The pricing will be very similar to SKB1, it started at 115€ for the 60%, bigger versions more. Can't tell for sure at this point.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:35:56 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #594 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:55:22 »
Maybe also a 40Ortho?

Maarten also has the Eon40 - a 40% ortholinear PCB. Thinking about offering a version for this as well. 40% is really small, the bezels would have to be smaller in comparison to the bigger sizes. Otherwise is would look unbalanced, imo. This is what a SKB2-40 with adapted bezel size would look like:

Not sure if there is enough interest for a 40-ortho, what are your thoughts?

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #595 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:08:15 »
Definitely interested. I guess you can offer a 40% case for less than $100?

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #596 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:18:14 »
The wait is starting to kill me :S

« Reply #597 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:23:31 »

Uff, I might be able to offer a 40% for around the 100€ mark, maybe a tiny bit less, but I don't think I'll be able to do less that 100$. Quite a lot have filled out the IC form. This number would allow for such a price on the 40%, but I don't think it would be a good idea to rely on that number. I'll have to wait for updated quotes. Getting it produced for super cheap in Germany isn't really possible.

Really difficult to say how much I should trust the IC form numbers.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #598 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:28:22 »

Uff, I might be able to offer a 40% for around the 100€ mark, maybe a tiny bit less, but I don't think I'll be able to do less that 100$. Quite a lot have filled out the IC form. This number would allow for such a price on the 40%, but I don't think it would be a good idea to rely on that number. I'll have to wait for updated quotes. Getting it produced for super cheap in Germany isn't really possible.

Really difficult to say how much I should trust the IC form numbers.

True.. not everyone that fills the IC actually ends up purchasing.

Offline wing1098

« Reply #599 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:28:25 »
Maybe also a 40Ortho?

Maarten also has the Eon40 - a 40% ortholinear PCB. Thinking about offering a version for this as well. 40% is really small, the bezels would have to be smaller in comparison to the bigger sizes. Otherwise is would look unbalanced, imo. This is what a SKB2-40 with adapted bezel size would look like:

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Not sure if there is enough interest for a 40-ortho, what are your thoughts?
Wow this is crazy

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送