Author Topic: [IC] IFK musubi. 5/10/21 SHIPPING  (Read 80847 times)

Offline ertisan

[IC] IFK musubi. 5/10/21 SHIPPING
« on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:26:34 »

Updates.

5/10/21
- Shipping is underway and people have started receiving their kits/mats

8/18/20
- Updated board renders

8/14/20
- Kits have been finalized by TKC. Unfortunately due to low interest in the color kit, it has been axed and mega-addon kit has been made smaller as to remove the extra color options. Prices have been adjusted accordingly.
- Deskmat designs are now up!
- GB date listed as Aug 28th on TKC.
- Box design is finished but will be kept under wraps. It'll be like a small hopefully present visual surprise when you get your set in the mail!

5/27/20
- New google form to gauge interest in each individual kit.
- Preliminary prices for kits have been added.

5/22/20
- Small update to kits based on feedback. Pricing will be updated once fully finalized.

7/19/20
- Biggest change to this update is that the Pantone colors have changed. This is because the factory uses uncoated Pantone colors vs coated. You can see a comparison of the old and new Pantone colors below in the Pantone section.
- Kits have been updated based on feedback. Big changes are Hirgana w/ Latin in the base kit. I understand the frustration for those who wanted Latin only but my thought process on this was that the theme is based off of a Japanese ideology and based on feedback, this is what the large majority of people wanted. Novelties have been finalized and a lot of you guys asked for a spam musubi novelty so that has been added. Mega Add-on also finalized. A color kit was another thing I asked in my feedback and once again a large majority wanted this. This kit will allow you to swap out any yellow or blue modifier in the base kit. Note this is only works for the base kit modifiers. Part of the reason the Mega Add-on kit is so... Mega in size is because it is a self contained color swap kit.
- New artisan collaboration: Artkey Universe.
- Kit prices, Vendor, and GB date have been finalized below.
- Things left to do are finalize box art and mat design(s).

5/7/20
- Created new feedback form to collect feedback specifically on the base kit alphas. (I base my design decisions on the feedback in the form so please fill it out!) Google form
- Introducing 3 more artisan collaborations! Alpha Keycaps, Sodie Caps, and Wildstory Caps!
- Introducing cable collaboration! ZeusCables!
- Set will be Infinikey PBT and the vendor will be TheKey.Company! Group Buy date has been set but will be announced at a later date.
- Image of Pantone chips added

Group Buy.
Dates
August 28th @ 6PM ET

Vendors
US - TheKey.Company
EU - Proto[Typist] Keyboards
Asia - zFrontier
Australia - SwitchKeys
Canada - Deskhero

Pricing
Base Kit $90
Mega Add-on Kit $65
Latin Kit $30
Novelty Kit $39

About IFK musubi.
"Musubi is the old way of calling the local guardian god. This word has profound meaning. Typing thread is Musubi. Connecting people is Musubi. The flow of time is Musubi. These are all the god's power. So the braided cords that we make are the god's art and represent the flow of time itself. They converge and take shape. They twist, tangle, sometimes unravel, break, and then connect again. Musubi - knotting. That's time."

IFK musubi. is inspired by the thread worn by the two main characters in a popular animated Japanese film. The thread was a physical manifestation of the concept of Musubi and ended up being symbolic of their journey together and apart through both space and time. Whether you're a fan of the movie or you just really enjoy the colors, please take a look and leave some feedback/comments below!

As of right now there are plans for a desk mat and hopefully some more collaborations. This might change based on level of interest.

Kits.
Base $90

Mega Add-on $65

Latin $30

Novelty $39

Deskmats.
Silhouette

Egasumi Light

Egasumi Gradient

Keyboards.

Viktus Styrka

Iron180

Pantone.

Collaborations.

@alphakeycaps - @artkey.universe - @goldenstar_keycap - @krapshop

@latrialum - @sodiecaps - @wildstory.caps

@zeuscables

Roadmap.
- GB!

Social.
If you're interested in following this or other projects in the future by me, follow my instagram at @ertisan.studios

Signature.
If you'd like to support the set and get the word out, please put this banner in your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106045.0][img width=250 height=125]https://i.ibb.co/wNVd0LV/musubi-Title-V2.png[/img][/url]

Special Thanks.
- Meika: For helping turn the novelties from ideas into actual art.
- SGrumpyBunny: For his amazing blender file that was the base for my renders.
- Vorckus: www.dakotafelder.com was super helpful in my blender learning journey
- Langelandia: Answering my questions and giving me advice on all things keysets.
- LBaron: For providing/allowing the use of Iron180

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 05:14:46 by ertisan »

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Re: [IC] PBT musubi.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:37:52 »
Dam thats colorful  ;D

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:50:13 »
YESYESYESYES!!! FINALLY A COLOURFUL GOOD LOOKING PBT SET!! Imo it would look better to make hiragana the base kit and the Latin kit to be a separate kit. I'm hoping that the 1u \| key will be blue in the base kit and maybe icon 2u backspace. SUPER LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SET. Please keep this set pbt. There are too many gmk sets and not enough good looking pbt sets.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:09:33 by DJ Clicks »

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:52:18 »
Yes, In 100%, I will buy out MOQ if I have to

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:08:36 »
Earlier today, there was a thread about a set w some KLE pics and some hex colors. Now, there’s this IC, where the initial post should be screengrabbed for posterity as to what the first post in an IC should look like. Maybe this isn’t your plastic, or colors, or theme. That’s cool. But in terms of selling a design...this is it.

Offline powahause

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:11:25 »
Assuming reverse dysub for the colored caps? Looks sick but may be hard to make

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:13:52 »
Have you tried infinikey?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:28:51 »
White Enter accent... so an anti-accent? Doesn't work imo, there should be blue Enter and Esc options instead. They appear in the keyboard render, but don't seem to be present in the kit pic.

Big fan of the color palette, but not so sure about this particular implementation.

Edit: These blue keys are going to need to be yellow in order to work, since they're supposed to be mixed with the nav cluster keys (which are yellow). The blue Fn can stay blue since there's already a yellow one below it.

Edit 2: Not sure if you're planning on running this in EPBT or Infinikey (probably the latter, since EPBT likely isn't going to be able to reverse dye sub this based on their current manufacturing capabilities), but if those F, J, 5 keys are flat and not scooped, you might as well drop them and keep just the barred ones, since very few people in the community use flat/non-homing F, J, 5 keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:45:19 by konstantin »

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:37:04 »
Yeeeeees this looks fantastic!!!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:49:31 »
I want to buy strictly because I love that movie.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:52:20 »
Read the title and expected to find some Spam. There is no Spam.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline ertisan

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:56:53 »
YESYESYESYES!!! FINALLY A COLOURFUL GOOD LOOKING PBT SET!! Imo it would look better to make hiragana the base kit and the Latin kit to be a separate kit. I'm hoping that the 1u \| key will be blue in the base kit and maybe icon 2u backspace. SUPER LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SET. Please keep this set pbt. There are too many gmk sets and not enough good looking pbt sets.

Dam thats colorful  ;D

Yeeeeees this looks fantastic!!!

Yes, In 100%, I will buy out MOQ if I have to

I do appreciate the encouragement!

Earlier today, there was a thread about a set w some KLE pics and some hex colors. Now, there’s this IC, where the initial post should be screengrabbed for posterity as to what the first post in an IC should look like. Maybe this isn’t your plastic, or colors, or theme. That’s cool. But in terms of selling a design...this is it.

Thank you for the kind words. I asked around as to what info people would like to see in an IC since it's my first time. This was the culmination of a few people's input. It's really thanks to them!

White Enter accent... so an anti-accent? Doesn't work imo, there should be blue Enter and Esc options instead. They appear in the keyboard render, but don't seem to be present in the kit pic.

Big fan of the color palette, but not so sure about this particular implementation.

Edit: These blue keys are going to need to be yellow in order to work, since they're supposed to be mixed with the nav cluster keys (which are yellow). The blue Fn can stay blue since there's already a yellow one below it.

Show Image

Edit 2: Not sure if you're planning on running this in EPBT or Infinikey (probably the latter, since EPBT likely isn't going to be able to reverse dye sub this based on their current manufacturing capabilities), but if those F, J, 5 keys are flat and not scooped, you might as well drop them and keep just the barred ones, since very few people in the community use flat/non-homing F, J, 5 keys.

The attention to detail and feedback is so appreciated. The render keyboard should've had a red enter. Good eye. Will have to update that keyboard render to have a red enter. Your idea on the anti-accent is intriguing and I'll probably switch to blue. Seems like lots of people are digging the blue there. As for the nav cluster and the blue keys around it, I wanted the pgdn, pgup, etc keys to be different from the nav arrows. I'm def open to changing it esp depending on how it looks laid out on a keyboard that supports those keys. I got caught up in making them blue because the arrow keys are yellow in that particular area. That'll have to be addressed.

Have you tried infinikey?

Assuming reverse dysub for the colored caps? Looks sick but may be hard to make

Looks like infinikey is the way to go. Hopefully we can make it happen!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:05:54 »
As for the nav cluster and the blue keys around it, I wanted the pgdn, pgup, etc keys to be different from the nav arrows. I'm def open to changing it esp depending on how it looks laid out on a keyboard that supports those keys. I got caught up in making them blue because the arrow keys are yellow in that particular area. That'll have to be addressed.

You should be able to change them to yellow and make it work, since there are also blue arrows in the kit :thumb:

The alternative option is to keep the nav keys blue, but then also add blue R1 Home, R1 PgDn and R2 Del keys in order to support the different possible 65%/75%/1800 setups.

I think the first option is better since it involves less keys and still has the potential to look good.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:08:26 by konstantin »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:08:50 »
I have some minor concerns with the intricacies on some of the novelties that might not look so well on reverse dye sub, as well as some minor colour qualms [alpha-coloured enter but no mod enter, and imo yellow bottom row displaces the set too much for me (possibly just have alt/code yellow and keep mod-colour for else?)]

That being said, I love the colours and where this is going, and appreciate that you're using latin monolegends and hiragana subs as a child kit (with the arguably better "mito subs"). The set IMO doesn't need subs with how much is going on, and I'm glad more people are taking this approach on anime-themed sets with what I did with Noel and Yuru.

Hope to see updates soon!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:16:39 by Agilr »

Offline cadrev

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:38:50 »
Looks nice! I'm in!

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:52:24 »
Where's the spam?

Offline chanzjj

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:56:55 »
Colours look very similar to GMK Belafonte.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:12:11 »
Nope.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:42:26 »
teal a small accent colour on the hair tie/bracelet, but it's a major colour in this kit, so to me it doesn't really evoke the colours from it.  if the main colours of the kit were red and orange with a touch of teal accents i think it would better represent the hair tie/bracelet.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:40:01 »
This actually works pretty well!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:37:09 »

What are you smoking, and can I have some. lol

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 03:15:46 »
I like this but I wish there are more red-orange than teal (in reference to the anime).

Offline Felt

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:06:54 »
I think the color balance is amazing here. The Teal really makes the Orange and Red pop. There was obviously a lot of deliberation on the color layout and I love how this set could even appeal to those who havent even seem the film. A++

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:24:24 »
oooh, really like this set and the colors combination! I think, the weeb set comes out as clean with this colors scheme.

Render of the fc660m is on point  :thumb:

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:27:20 »
I think the color balance is amazing here. The Teal really makes the Orange and Red pop. There was obviously a lot of deliberation on the color layout and I love how this set could even appeal to those who havent even seem the film. A++

You got it right! I haven't seen the film and really like this set and colors scheme =)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:18:12 »
I think this is gonna turn out great, especially in pbt, good job :thumb:

Offline Tyson

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:24:40 »
I love the movie, unfortunately the colors of this set don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll do well! A lot of other people look forward to it! Good Luck!

Offline KEYGEM

• * Vendor
    • KEYGEM Online Shop
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:09:02 »
I really like the combination of colors but what I realllllly like is your explanation of the name. This makes it even more special :)

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
    • MY Keycap set - Transmutation
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:03:20 »
I have a wood keyboard that I really want to put this set into. It really does give me some traditional Japanese candy store vibes.

Offline chanzjj

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:34:27 »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:21:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

So what if they're similar? Mito doesn't own those colors or that combination of them. And the rest of the set is beige not blue.

Offline Enroze

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:26:41 »
This looks awesome! Really looking forwards to seeing possible deskmat designs soon too, good luck :D

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:10:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't think pointing to accent kits of two sets that otherwise look nothing alike and claiming that the two sets "have similar colours" just because some of the accent keys happen to have vaguely similar colours is entirely reasonable or helpful to anyone.

Offline ertisan

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:38:34 »
I have some minor concerns with the intricacies on some of the novelties that might not look so well on reverse dye sub, as well as some minor colour qualms [alpha-coloured enter but no mod enter, and imo yellow bottom row displaces the set too much for me (possibly just have alt/code yellow and keep mod-colour for else?)]

That being said, I love the colours and where this is going, and appreciate that you're using latin monolegends and hiragana subs as a child kit (with the arguably better "mito subs"). The set IMO doesn't need subs with how much is going on, and I'm glad more people are taking this approach on anime-themed sets with what I did with Noel and Yuru.

Hope to see updates soon!

I definitely share your concern about some of the novelties and will probably have to ask the vendor/manufacturer for more information as to whats possible and what is pushing it. Definitely a learning process for me. As for colors I think I like the split but I'm definitely reading a lot of feedback about wanting more yellow or more blue. It'll be hard to decide what to do but I'm gonna do my best. Thank you for the support and great feedback!

I think this is gonna turn out great, especially in pbt, good job :thumb:

Looks nice! I'm in!

This actually works pretty well!

oooh, really like this set and the colors combination! I think, the weeb set comes out as clean with this colors scheme.

Render of the fc660m is on point  :thumb:

You got it right! I haven't seen the film and really like this set and colors scheme =)

I really like the combination of colors but what I realllllly like is your explanation of the name. This makes it even more special :)

I have a wood keyboard that I really want to put this set into. It really does give me some traditional Japanese candy store vibes.

Thank you all for the kind words! Definitely means a lot to me.

I love the movie, unfortunately the colors of this set don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll do well! A lot of other people look forward to it! Good Luck!

Thank you for the encouragement though!

This looks awesome! Really looking forwards to seeing possible deskmat designs soon too, good luck :D

It's currently in the works.

teal a small accent colour on the hair tie/bracelet, but it's a major colour in this kit, so to me it doesn't really evoke the colours from it.  if the main colours of the kit were red and orange with a touch of teal accents i think it would better represent the hair tie/bracelet.

I like this but I wish there are more red-orange than teal (in reference to the anime).

I've been looking at the google responses and gonna tweak the base kit a little bit and maybe introduce another minor extension kit for colors. Theres a lot of people who like having more blue and also a lot of people who want more of the orange/yellow. I'm going to try to strike a balance that hopefully will make as many people happy without losing the original vision of the set.

Where's the spam?

Haha having a spam artisan would be kinda funny.

Hopefully the layout and shade of the colors will set this set apart from Belafonte enough!

Offline synthtastic

[IC] PBT musubi. UPDATE: Initial collabs
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:38:03 »
Don’t mind me. Just here to say yet again this set looks absolutely amazing. I love colorful boards.

Having said that, I agree with others that having some colorful mod kits would be really nice.

Offline Jaystice

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. UPDATE: Initial collabs
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:54:29 »
Okay, now this is epic.
Bottom Text

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 21:21:36 »
Any chance that hiragana alphas are included in the base kit instead of Latin alphas?

Offline Hanabi

• Falling into a black hole.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 22:30:25 »
Really loving the theme! Looks amazing.

Offline joonia

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 00:45:13 »
im gonna need all of this.

Offline Enroze

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:06:28 »
Checked back in to see if there was anything new, read the updates and just wanted to +1 the matching cable idea, I think it'd really fit the theme :D

Offline Romutulus

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 19:58:02 »
Are you taking requests for renders by any chance? I kind of want to see it in a white or red case like a red candybar or white 7v. I really like this set, but I am just unsure how well the colors of the caps will fit with regular case colors for me.

Offline ertisan

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 00:25:37 »
Okay, now this is epic.

im gonna need all of this.

Thank you for being onboard the musubi. hype train!

Don’t mind me. Just here to say yet again this set looks absolutely amazing. I love colorful boards.

Having said that, I agree with others that having some colorful mod kits would be really nice.

Any chance that hiragana alphas are included in the base kit instead of Latin alphas?

One of the questions I'll definitely be asking the vendor is what possible kit arrangements can I do to try to accommodate as many people.

Checked back in to see if there was anything new, read the updates and just wanted to +1 the matching cable idea, I think it'd really fit the theme :D

Definitely working on reaching out for a cable collab! Heres hoping for the best.

Are you taking requests for renders by any chance? I kind of want to see it in a white or red case like a red candybar or white 7v. I really like this set, but I am just unsure how well the colors of the caps will fit with regular case colors for me.

I actually worked out a quick white case render I was gonna add with a later update but let me throw it up now.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:26:56 »

Would love a render with the blue 7v as well if you ever take request for renders

Offline ertisan

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:30:34 »

Would love a render with the blue 7v as well if you ever take request for renders

Unfortunately I am not in possession of the 7v case file. I will definitely see what I can do but for the most part the cases I use are all openly available online to anyone. If I can't get ahold of the 7v, I'll try to look for another case and make it blue!

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 02:13:08 »

Unfortunately I am not in possession of the 7v case file. I will definitely see what I can do but for the most part the cases I use are all openly available online to anyone. If I can't get ahold of the 7v, I'll try to look for another case and make it blue!

That would be amazing love the set anyways so its almost a for sure grab from me but If you could match it on any blue keyboard it would be great to see what color looks the best for the keycaps

Offline ertisan

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:36:19 »
That would be amazing love the set anyways so its almost a for sure grab from me but If you could match it on any blue keyboard it would be great to see what color looks the best for the keycaps

Went ahead and added a render of musubi. on a blue Iron180.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:22:03 »

Went ahead and added a render of musubi. on a blue Iron180.

That looks great! Now its definitely a must pick up for me, I will be awaiting any updates you have on this project and hope I won't have to wait too long for it to enter GB

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:09:26 »
Could you add the profiles for the novelties? Is there a novelty for the 1.5u backspace and tab? And have you considered removing the numpad from the base kit to save on costs?

Offline MechanicalNerd

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 03:47:39 »
Definitely in for this, can't wait!  :thumb:

Offline ertisan

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 14:26:25 »
Could you add the profiles for the novelties? Is there a novelty for the 1.5u backspace and tab? And have you considered removing the numpad from the base kit to save on costs?

I'm currently working on how to do the kits and I can def add the profiles for the novelties when I rework the kits a little. I don't believe theres a backspace or tab novelty atm. I did look into removing the numpad and making the set more modular overall but after asking around for advice, thats probably not the way to go. There will probably be a new google form up in a couple of days with more specific questions regarding kits and the base kit overall.

Definitely in for this, can't wait!  :thumb:

Woo! Thank you!