Author Topic: Vortex Core firmware  (Read 3300 times)

Offline monkt

Vortex Core firmware
« on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 13:35:44 »
I was thinking about getting the Vortex Core, but then noticed that the firmware update files are only offered in windows .exe format. Does anyone know of a solution for linux or mac users?

Offline monkt

Re: Vortex Core firmware
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 18:23:20 »
Well, with no answer for this so far, can anyone report whether the Core or Pok3r models sold right now have the latest firmware already installed? If so, that might save me the trouble of having to find a work-around, for now.

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 18:53:14 »
You can update firmware of modern keyboards using VirtualBox and USB passthrough on linux.  ... I recently acquired a 'modern' keyboard (Not a vortex board) and this worked just fine.

--- Windows can be downloaded from the microsoft website and used as an essentially unlimited trial version (with some features disabled)... just tell it you'll enter your serial number later when installing.

figuring all the stuff out to accomplish this is out of the scope of this thread, probably,.. but it is doable!

keyboards

Offline monkt

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 21:32:23 »
Thanks. It's good to know that's a possibility, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble in my case.

I would be satisfied if I knew whether the current Vortex Cores for sale already have the firmware update that allows for the split space bar functionality. If it does, the download won't be necessary. Can anyone confirm?

Offline jakllsch

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:04:59 »
https://github.com/ChaoticConundrum/pok3r_re_firmware seems to have some potentially-relevant bits, although I've not actually used it on a real keyboard yet.  I doubt it's as risk-free as a Windows machine (VM or otherwise).