Author Topic: Realforce 87u - Magical Keyboard Upgrade  (Read 2311 times)

Offline dan_esc

• Art
Realforce 87u - Magical Keyboard Upgrade
« on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 02:01:03 »
Hi all,

I just upgraded from a Magic Keyboard to a RF87u 55g.
Awesome, love TKL and nice feel and sounding keyboard. Harder to miss keys and not very loud at all.

Here is a piccy
190631-0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Realforce 87u - Magical Keyboard Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 02:51:04 »
Hi all,

I just upgraded from a Magic Keyboard to a RF87u 55g.
Awesome, love TKL and nice feel and sounding keyboard. Harder to miss keys and not very loud at all.

Here is a piccy
(Attachment Link)

RF 55g is a favorite of many people, good choice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 06:13:13 »
It is amazing that after all these years, nobody has come up with rival technologies to lower the price of this kind of keyboard.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 04:41:15 »
Best. Board. Ever.

Still my daily driver, with an mx speed silver on the side for gamingz.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 05:39:06 »
It is amazing that after all these years, nobody has come up with rival technologies to lower the price of this kind of keyboard.

People have, there are a number of Topre clones at reasonable prices. Check out Plum's electrostatic keyboards.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 06:35:22 »

People have, there are a number of Topre clones at reasonable prices. Check out Plum's electrostatic keyboards.

Lots of people say Plum is no good. That's why very few people buy Plum.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 07:02:04 »

Lots of people say Plum is no good. That's why very few people buy Plum.

I did hear some good stuff about it but it isn't the same feeling.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 03:42:02 »

There are lots of Topre-style boards out there.

Last year I got a Hansung CHF7 Officemaster (directly from Korea via Gmarket, as Amazon didn't have them yet), and I just love it.

I have a RealForce (uniform 55g) and a Topre Type Heaven (45g)—and I can honestly say, I get tired of typing on the Topres long before I get tired of the Hansung. (In fact, now that I think of it, aside from my IBM Model F-AT, the Hansung is really the only board in my collection that I can type on indefinitely without craving a different type of keeb.)

It has a slightly shorter key travel than Topre, and is quieter and generally more pleasant to use, IMHO. And every now and then, one of the springs makes the most subtle, charming little ping that sounds like someone very far away has just rung a dinner chime. It's one of my favorite sounds ever. (And I'm a musician who's heard lots of sounds.) I also think the Korean Hangul sublegends are pretty.

It doesn't have a metal case, but it's solidly made, and it was less than you'd pay for most non-RGB name-brand Cherry MX boards. And since they're capacitive switches like Topre's, it's sure to last longer than I will!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 05:18:52 »
Yes I have one, its very good.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro