Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606730 times)

Offline blackbox

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 05:18:50 »
Ubuntu on my notebook and at work.

Cool that you have ubuntu at your work pc. Do you know if they use landscape?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 05:30:57 »
Also, for those that find themselves using Windows over Linux at home more than they would like, just do what I do. Don't dual boot. Make the decision to use Linux exclusively on your primary machine. Then, I keep a laptop with Windows for those times I really must use it.

I tried that.

I also tried Bootcamp on my Mac (to dual boot OS X and Windows).

Neither really worked, so I ended up (before I got the Mac) setting up a second PC - one for Linux to do emails and proper work, and one for Windows for games.

Then I got my Mac, and I still have the Mac for emails, surfing and other work, and Windows for games.

And Linux on the server (having tried FreeBSD and even touched on NetBSD).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 06:39:17 »

What is so cool in having Ubuntu on a work PC?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 06:54:50 »

darwin runs with X11 - apple shipped it with their developer tools back in the last decade. not sure if they still do. i only ever installed the dev tools so I could run X11 stuff once in a while :)
unfortunately apple hasn't updated the official OSS darwin in years.

OpenDarwin is what I was thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)#OpenDarwin

Getting back to the topic of linux, has anyone messed around with SteamOS? Not sure if they added ATI card support but I do have an old GTX 460 I could use to run it. I haven't been following it since the first public test release.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 09:57:04 »

I think it's just the fact that a lot of companies will force you to use whatever they have everyone else use (Windows).

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:11:47 »
Also, for those that find themselves using Windows over Linux at home more than they would like, just do what I do. Don't dual boot. Make the decision to use Linux exclusively on your primary machine. Then, I keep a laptop with Windows for those times I really must use it.

When I really need doze, I fire it up in a kvm instance... Obviously that wouldn't work for games, but for things like quickbooks, it works great.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:20:57 »
Neither really worked, so I ended up (before I got the Mac) setting up a second PC - one for Linux to do emails and proper work, and one for Windows for games.

This is really the end state, isn't it?  I have a primary i7 tower running LMDE (and a little Win7 VM in VirtualBox) for normal work/office stuff.  And sitting next to it is a little Silverstone ITX i5 cube with a full-size graphics card for gaming.  Technically, my tower is dual-boot, but that just doesn't work as well.

Also, in a dedicated Windows PC, I can use an nVidia or an AMD GPU.  With Linux it is either nVidia or integrated graphics -- or compatibility problems.  So when AMD was doing its big relabel/launch last fall, I was able to pick up a couple of 7870s that work great in Windows, but that I couldn't quite make work under Linux.  (Cue Linus Torvalds: "F*** you, AMD!")

So how many of us run Linux normally, but keep a Windows machine around for critical applications like Visio, Photoshop, or Steam?

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:14:24 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:44:34 »
This is really the end state, isn't it?  I have a primary i7 tower running LMDE (and a little Win7 VM in VirtualBox) for normal work/office stuff.  And sitting next to it is a little Silverstone ITX i5 cube with a full-size graphics card for gaming.  Technically, my tower is dual-boot, but that just doesn't work as well.

I have loftier goals :) I just want the single tower with 2 video cards, 1 card for linux, 1 for vt-d passthrough to a windows virtual machine. Would need a good KVM as well. Of course vt-d passthrough for video cards in xen is a roll the dice type of thing, and probably still requires patching xen.

I haven't tried yet. My issue is that at work I don't have the time, and my hardware at home is just old enough to not have vt-d - a first gen i7 xeon in an x58a board.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:49:21 »

Also, in a dedicated Windows PC, I can use an nVidia or an AMD GPU.  With Linux it is either nVidia or integrated graphics -- or compatibility problems.  So when AMD was doing its big relabel/launch last fall, I was able to pick up a couple of 7870s that work great in Windows, but that I could quite make work under Linux.  (Cue Linus Torvalds: "F*** you, AMD!")

So how many of us run Linux normally, but keep a Windows machine around for critical applications like Visio, Photoshop, or Steam?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yep! I was gonna say: "directX defeats the 'just abandon windows' argument."

Also: "...critical applications like... steam?" lol.
Logitech G710+

Offline wycx

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:03:57 »
Linux Mint Debian edition with Mate on the desktop. Ubuntu 12.04 on the Samsung ARM Chromebook-I like unity on the chromebook. Regular old Debian with XFCE or sometimes Enlightenment on my various servers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 18:00:03 »
My first distro was Mandrake. I switched full time around the very first Ubuntu LTS release (because damn winmodems).

Nowadays I use Kubuntu / Linux Mint KDE, mostly because I like KDE and I've been stuck with Ubuntu derivatives for ages, hence I'm quite familiar with it. However, I strongly disagree with Canonical's direction and recent (i.e. last few years) actions and the core system is horribly rotten; I experience trouble with hardware support, that don't exist elsewhere, packages in official repos are broken out of the box, etc.

I'd be already running Fedora, if Anaconda wasn't so horrible and the fedora.next software management (plus SAT solver for yum) was in place.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 18:46:24 »
Linux Mint 13 64-bit with KDE and Xfce desktops on all but my IBM server, which runs Ubuntu Server 12.04 -- previously KDE desktop, but more recently, Xfce.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 19:31:02 »

When I really need doze, I fire it up in a kvm instance... Obviously that wouldn't work for games, but for things like quickbooks, it works great.

It's actually possible to play games in a kvm instance. However, you have to have a second graphics card and a motherboard that supports IOMMU. With a full graphics card and virtio drivers you get near normal performance inside a VM.

Offline iri

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 04:07:06 »

I think it's just the fact that a lot of companies will force you to use whatever they have everyone else use (Windows).
luckily i've never worked for such companies. ubuntu was standard for engineers at my previous workplace.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline blackbox

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 08:14:54 »

As smasher816 said and I also wonder how they implement it. Do you get support from the IT-staff? Is it managed by the IT-staff (landscape)? Is it an option to get a pc with ubuntu?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 05:17:30 »

As smasher816 said and I also wonder how they implement it. Do you get support from the IT-staff? Is it managed by the IT-staff (landscape)? Is it an option to get a pc with ubuntu?

i work for a company that lets us use whatever OS we want on our workstations as long as it doesn't get in the way of the work we need to do.... which is why i don't use windows :U

but seriously i think it's more of a thing in smaller shops without centrally-managed/micro-managed IT. it's just not necessary to have total control over all systems all the time.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:11:20 »
Still using Win 7 on my main rig, pretty much exclusively for games. I also have a laptop running Mint 15, which I quite like, save for the lag issues with the cursor. Mostly got that worked out now though.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:18:28 »
#!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline blackbox

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:44:07 »

The LAN table!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:51:14 »
#!

#!2

What hardware are you Running crunchbang on?

dell precision t5600. work machine. xeon or i7 or whatever, 8 gb ram i think? haven't really bothered to look at the specs, it's stupidly overpowered for what i need but w/e. unfortunately i have 2 discrete cards (DUMB) and so i cant use compositing until i get an adapter and just stop using the second card.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 10:58:50 »
#!

#!2

dell precision t5600. work machine. xeon or i7 or whatever, 8 gb ram i think? haven't really bothered to look at the specs, it's stupidly overpowered for what i need but w/e. unfortunately i have 2 discrete cards (DUMB) and so i cant use compositing until i get an adapter and just stop using the second card.

Well as you said that is way overpower what crunchbag needs. No doubt it will run smoothly(exept that compositing issue).

The LAN table!

Offline compgeke

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 21:14:15 »
My IRC server runs Debian 7 on an old 1 GHz Athlon 4 with 128 megs of ram. Works well enough and only uses about 25 megs of ram anyways.

I have a Latitude D630 running Xubuntu because I'm lazy and it works. I use it for programming devices and testing to see if USB hardware and such is being detected since Windows and Mac OS suck when it comes to detecting devices - lsusb is great.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 21:25:13 »
My IRC server runs Debian 7 on an old 1 GHz Athlon 4 with 128 megs of ram. Works well enough and only uses about 25 megs of ram anyways.

I have a Latitude D630 running Xubuntu because I'm lazy and it works. I use it for programming devices and testing to see if USB hardware and such is being detected since Windows and Mac OS suck when it comes to detecting devices - lsusb is great.

Thats awesome -- cant go wrong with Debian.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 23:56:13 »

Nice, What irc server do you use?

The LAN table!

Offline compgeke

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 01:40:13 »
I use UnrealIRCd that's linked into a small network.

It's a bit confusing to configure but it's pretty much rock solid and has more features than one will ever need.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 04:16:06 »
ah, I see. Have only used irc clients before (irssi)

The LAN table!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 09:16:15 »
CrunchBang at home.  Xubuntu for the parents ancient box at their house, Ubuntu on my mothers laptop.  My interest in computer janitoring has nearly vanished in the last couple of years, so distributions that work out of the box are becoming more appealing.
Erlang your pants off

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 19:49:56 »
I've been using ircd-hybrid since ~1999.. It has a gazillion modules, and is actively developed. Definitely worth a look if you're shopping for an IRC server.

http://ircd-hybrid.com/

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:05:50 »
I've been using ircd-hybrid since ~1999.. It has a gazillion modules, and is actively developed. Definitely worth a look if you're shopping for an IRC server.

Nice signature -- have you used Parabola at all?
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:12:18 »

Nice signature -- have you used Parabola at all?

Thanks! Richard Stallman for president! =)

Sadly.. I'm addicted to Debian, despite it's status w/ the FSF. =/

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:14:39 »
Thanks! Richard Stallman for president! =)

Sadly.. I'm addicted to Debian, despite it's status w/ the FSF. =/

Lol Debian is awesome -- you should try Parabola though -- pacman masterrace reporting in.

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 09:14:37 »
My IRC server runs Debian 7 on an old 1 GHz Athlon 4 with 128 megs of ram.
so does my work machine with i7 and 16gb ram.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline blackbox

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 13:51:35 »
What a suprise

The LAN table!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 15:14:18 »
What a suprise

mine does too

Offline iri

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 02:28:47 »
What a suprise
stop being silly.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 04:43:17 »
#!

#!2

A few different older laptops. None of them very modern or impressive, but Crunchbang runs very smoothly on them. I really like the install configuration scripts, makes it a breeze to do a new install.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:02:19 »
Crunchbang is fantastic and very snappy. Though on older PCs you will notice Firefox being sluggish as ****. I always preferred using Midori or Opera (RIP).

Offline iri

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 02:58:19 »
i've been using midori for years (running on fluxbox on a slow machine) and still use it from time to time.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:22:12 »
My first distro was Mandrake. I switched full time around the very first Ubuntu LTS release (because damn winmodems).

Nowadays I use Kubuntu / Linux Mint KDE, mostly because I like KDE and I've been stuck with Ubuntu derivatives for ages, hence I'm quite familiar with it. However, I strongly disagree with Canonical's direction and recent (i.e. last few years) actions and the core system is horribly rotten; I experience trouble with hardware support, that don't exist elsewhere, packages in official repos are broken out of the box, etc.

I'd be already running Fedora, if Anaconda wasn't so horrible and the fedora.next software management (plus SAT solver for yum) was in place.

Ubuntu has turned into the evil Apple/Microsoft/big-brother of the Linux world with all of the their great new personal tracking and advertising features. That's why you need to switch to Debian.  :D

I use Debian and Slackware in most cases.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I virtualize Windows and Mac if I have specific software I need to use. It actually makes backing up, restoring, and migrations very easy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:29:05 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iri

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:30:32 »
slackware is still alive. impressive.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:38:49 »

Ubuntu has turned into the evil Apple/Microsoft/big-brother of the Linux world with all of the their great new personal tracking and advertising features. That's why you need to switch to Debian.  :D

Debian sucks. Even experimental is sometimes months or even years behind upstream. Once I decide to compile stuff myself, I'll go with Gentoo.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 03:53:55 »
I don't care about having the latest or greatest. Nor do I have any software projects that I want pushed upstream.

Yeah, Slackware is still being maintained. I'm amazed that it's lasted this long myself.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 04:04:21 »

Debian sucks. Even experimental is sometimes months or even years behind upstream. Once I decide to compile stuff myself, I'll go with Gentoo.

no u

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 05:46:31 »
slackware is still alive. impressive.

Slackware was the first Linux distro I tried, back when it was still distributed in floppies.

Work had an old Windows NT 4 server doing email and other duties, but it was a pain to maintain.  I suggested Linux, and was given an old laptop with only a floppy drive to play with.

It took ages downloading the floppy images through the dialup connection we had back then, but I seem to recall the actual installation went fairly smoothly.

I configured sendmail, added a few mail accounts, and let everyone play with it for a couple of weeks.

I must have proved my point, as we have had at least one Linux serve doing business critical duties since then.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 06:08:51 »
fun that we are now discussing two distros that had their initial releases within a month... twenty-****ing-one year ago.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline welsinki

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:24:27 »
 :blank::blank: :blank: :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 12:41:05 by welsinki »

Offline PublicAnarchism

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:41:11 »
Haha, I use arch linux at home. Works very nicely with my keyboard.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:28:15 »
I'm using Debian since Debian version 1.1 or 1.2, not too sure anymore (it was the mid-nineties or something like that).

My first Linux distro was Slackware, which I'd install from a CD coming with a book about Slackware: back then my modem (28.8 baud?) was too slow to d/l the equivalent of what was on that CD. Then I tried Debian and stick with it for a while. Then I moved to Red Hat, tried SuSE, CentOS, Fedora and so many others I don't remember and eventually I came back to Debian and now I'm a happy Debian camper since years.

Debian on my servers and on my desktop / workstation as well (I'm using the (tiling) Awesome window manager).
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 15:31:31 »
I just started playing around with SliTaz because I wanted a super lightweight distro with a UI.  Can't beat a 35MB iso file.  :)

It is pretty good so far.  Pretty much everything I need and it is pretty intuitive.  Stuff like the networking just worked out of the box, I didn't have to do anything special.  That is always nice...