Author Topic: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?  (Read 55131 times)

Offline Ouhei

GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?
« on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 10:32:32 »
Not sure if this is the right place, but it seemed to make the most sense.

So yesterday morning I found this TaoBao listing for a GSX96, it's a 96-key layout board with an aluminum high walled case and looks similar to the RSIII, Duck96 and the upcoming Kira. The nice part is that it is $90 for the PCB, positioning plate and case! I chatted with the seller yesterday and it looks like the GB closes 03/18/17 and he sent me over some more details:
  • It is 618 RMB (~$90 USD) for the complete kit (Aluminum Case, PCB and Positioning Plate).
  • Case color options: Red, Peach Red (looks like a magenta), Pink, Purple, Blue, Azure (light blue), Silver and Titanium Grey (dark grey): http://i.imgur.com/IFjHbtn.jpg
  • I may have missed something but I think the layout shown in the link is the only supported layout. (6.25x space, R1 requires 2 1.5 (to the right of the space bar). Caps has ladder compatible hole, 1.75 right shift)
  • There is a function layer that does volume control and the like. Here are the pictures he sent: http://imgur.com/a/ZBepU
    • I took a look through the pictures and it looks like the board uses PS2AVR GB for it's firmware, which is the same method that Winkeyless uses. Here's a blog post from Winkeyless on the Firmware tool: http://blog.winkeyless.kr/183
  • He said it would take 15-30 days for delivery.

Here's the listing: https://world.taobao.com/item/545282990880.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.5vg5Vc#detail

I have put my order in, so I should hopefully have one soonish...but I'm hoping someone more familiar with custom firmware might be able to help me decipher the function layer images he sent over? I'd ask him but he doesn't speak english so all of this was over google translate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 10:10:21 by Ouhei »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
Re: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 11:22:21 »
There's a brief translation of the part at the end of first picture

Programming Example
1. Connect keyboard
2. Launch software
3. Click Download to read current layout
4. Click on keyboard (I think it means the keyboard in GUI) to change key value
such as A, (coordinate COL3, ROW2)
5. Select from the table of available key values in the table below
6. Click upload to upload to keyboard. The upload finishes when light stops flashing.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:16:24 »

Programming Example
1. Connect keyboard
2. Launch software
6. Click upload to upload to keyboard. The upload finishes when light stops flashing.

Thanks! Do the images have anything that tells what the default mapping is or how you access the function layers?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:42:09 »
Oh man. This looks pretty solid for the price- might have to jump on this.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:45:16 »
To participate, do we need to use a proxy?
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:12:52 »

Programming Example
1. Connect keyboard
2. Launch software

Thanks! Do the images have anything that tells what the default mapping is or how you access the function layers?
It's not explicitly stated, but based on the pictures, I guess the default layout is standard QWERTY and function layers are accessed by pressing fn keys.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:16:40 »
You can go directly through TaoBao as far as I have seen (it's what I did). If you do international shipping with TaoBao they ship it to a distribution center then you pay the international shipping. Luckily domestic shipping on this is free, so it's just the $90 +whatever the international shipping cost is.

I used this guide when I registered/did my purchase: http://www.howtotao.com/buy-from-taobao/

I'm hoping it turns out nice!

It's not explicitly stated, but based on the pictures, I guess the default layout is standard QWERTY and function layers are accessed by pressing fn keys.
Thanks for looking into it, I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:23:14 by Ouhei »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:02:17 »
Couldn't resist, ended up joining. The low price makes it worth the gamble for me. I've been looking for a solid 96 kit since I missed AMJ/ZZ and this looks to be just as good for my tastes as well as much cheaper + no egregious typing angle compared to a Duck. Also sounds like it might turn-around relatively quickly.

Thanks again for posting this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:53:23 »
/noice...

i kept telling you guys those kmacs are a huge ripoff at $400..

Now ya'll know the truth..  machining is cheap

This keyboard probably cost around $40 to produce in small quantities..  ~25-30 in 2000+ orders.

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 23:29:49 »
Well, I think I just joined you guys in the buy.  TaoBao was a bit terrifying, even with translation turned on and referring to various guides.  Is there anything I need to do after the payment step?  Or can I theoretically wait for this thing to magically appear at my door in the USA?

Edit: shoot. I just remembered I never chose a color for the case. Does that mean I missed a step, or was I supposed to put it in the comments?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 March 2017, 23:46:12 by moonmaster »

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:49:05 »
Couldn't resist, ended up joining. The low price makes it worth the gamble for me. I've been looking for a solid 96 kit since I missed AMJ/ZZ and this looks to be just as good for my tastes as well as much cheaper + no egregious typing angle compared to a Duck. Also sounds like it might turn-around relatively quickly.

Thanks again for posting this.
Nice! Yeah I've wanted this layout for a bit, but at $3-400 before you get to switches and caps I just couldn't justify it. I was actually about to order a B.Mini EX X2 since it's really close in layout but took another look on tao bao and found this!

/noice...

i kept telling you guys those kmacs are a huge ripoff at $400..

Now ya'll know the truth..  machining is cheap

This keyboard probably cost around $40 to produce in small quantities..  ~25-30 in 2000+ orders.
I mean the PCB seems to be less flexible and maybe not as nice, but it does the layout I want and I don't need anything crazy on that end so I think it'll be just fine for me.

Well, I think I just joined you guys in the buy.  TaoBao was a bit terrifying, even with translation turned on and referring to various guides.  Is there anything I need to do after the payment step?  Or can I theoretically wait for this thing to magically appear at my door in the USA?

Edit: shoot. I just remembered I never chose a color for the case. Does that mean I missed a step, or was I supposed to put it in the comments?
You can chat with the seller through the chat app that taobao uses (aliwangwang...I know) to tell him your case color preference. Just keep in mind he's going to be putting whatever you type into google translate since he doesn't speak english so keep your language as basic as you can.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:25:49 »

Yeah I purchased through a proxy and got a message this morning saying I had to confirm a color so I assume the seller reached out the proxy. Chances are the seller will do that for you as well but as Ouhei said you should be fine to just message and let him know.

Offline greenbox

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 08:10:38 »
Well I just jumped on the band wagon as well :D Thanks Ouhei for posting this. 
I have to say that buying through taobao has been the most adventurous online store I have ever experienced.

Is there anywhere that tells me where to download the firmware and such?

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 08:14:44 »
Well I just jumped on the band wagon as well :D Thanks Ouhei for posting this. 
I have to say that buying through taobao has been the most adventurous online store I have ever experienced.

Is there anywhere that tells me where to download the firmware and such?
Not that I have seen, I'm going to be looking into that some today hopefully and will update here if I find anything.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 20:51:31 »
Yeah I purchased through a proxy and got a message this morning saying I had to confirm a color so I assume the seller reached out the proxy. Chances are the seller will do that for you as well but as Ouhei said you should be fine to just message and let him know.

What proxy did you use? I really want this board, but am scared of taobao

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 21:08:23 »

I've been using superbuy.com for a few things now and it's been a pretty good experience, their system is pretty easy to navigate. Like most proxies they provide photos/etc when they get your product and have done a good job (in my experience) of obviously handling the unknowns/translations for you. That being said they're not super fluent in English but can use it effectively enough for the role. Their shipping prices have been reasonable and in my experience they don't up charge significantly for their services. (~5%?)

They give you tons of shipping options depending on your product and the two orders I've had have been packaged pretty nicely. I tried going into taobao 'virgin' and it was pretty difficult, but obviously it's possible. I'd recommend them, but again I've only ever used them, but from my experience their slight up charge is worth the convenience.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 21:12:08 by schoolbus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 21:24:16 »
If you go through taobao.com they have their own shipping to usa now..

it's their own fulfillment centers.

it's like $10 first pound,  each additional 0.5pound @ $7

something like that..

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 09:54:39 »

I've been using superbuy.com for a few things now and it's been a pretty good experience, their system is pretty easy to navigate. Like most proxies they provide photos/etc when they get your product and have done a good job (in my experience) of obviously handling the unknowns/translations for you. That being said they're not super fluent in English but can use it effectively enough for the role. Their shipping prices have been reasonable and in my experience they don't up charge significantly for their services. (~5%?)

They give you tons of shipping options depending on your product and the two orders I've had have been packaged pretty nicely. I tried going into taobao 'virgin' and it was pretty difficult, but obviously it's possible. I'd recommend them, but again I've only ever used them, but from my experience their slight up charge is worth the convenience.

And for anyone wondering - the fee is not explicitly stated for SuperBuy but included as a part of the FX fee. They basically tack on ~5% to the bill in USD from RMB (in my experience versus spot prices).

Shipping is pretty reasonable depending on the speed you want. I have two packages basically leaving at the same time right now (one DHL and one Preferential Line) with the latter being cheaper in general, so will report back on speed / customs differences.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 10:02:04 »
If you go through taobao.com they have their own shipping to usa now..

it's their own fulfillment centers.

it's like $10 first pound,  each additional 0.5pound @ $7

something like that..
Yeah, the hardest part of taobao is operating through google translate. But they offer international shipping now so if you take the time to figure out the site a bit you can go without a proxy.

Edit: added some info around the firmware on the board in the OP.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 10:10:49 by Ouhei »

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:28:09 »
Since the buy has "ended" I contacted the seller again, he said they will be shipping in 15-30 days.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 09:00:03 »
Since the buy has "ended" I contacted the seller again, he said they will be shipping in 15-30 days.

Man, if this really turns around that quickly it's gonna make lots of other buys look shameful in some aspects. I just hope there's not blatant catch we're missing :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 09:11:56 by schoolbus »

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:17:54 »

Man, if this really turns around that quickly it's gonna make lots of other buys look shameful in some aspects. I just hope there's not blatant catch we're missing :P
Haha, yeah it certainly sounds like it's going to put some other buys to shame if it's this quick. From my understanding all of the components have been produced before through similar buys so it's basically just putting an order in with the factory. I keep thinking there's got to be something we're missing, but hopefully it's just that the PCB isn't as flexible as the others and the case isn't quite as nice (The feet aren't as nice looking at least). Still, if it comes out fine the price difference more than makes up for any of that.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 18:36:21 »
I ordered 2 through SuperBuy after talking with the seller. This could be very interesting. I grabbed a blue to see how it will look next to my M65-A Hydro when it comes in... Thanks OP for the post, this is a great find.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:54:36 »
I ordered 2 through SuperBuy after talking with the seller. This could be very interesting. I grabbed a blue to see how it will look next to my M65-A Hydro when it comes in... Thanks OP for the post, this is a great find.
Happy others were looking for the same thing I was! This is my first custom build and I'm pretty excited to get started.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:03:58 »
Is this closed or can I still order via a proxy.
keyboards.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 13:48:21 »
Is this closed or can I still order via a proxy.

The listing is still open, idk you could try messaging and see what he says.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 23:06:06 »
You can go directly through TaoBao as far as I have seen (it's what I did). If you do international shipping with TaoBao they ship it to a distribution center then you pay the international shipping. Luckily domestic shipping on this is free, so it's just the $90 +whatever the international shipping cost is.

I used this guide when I registered/did my purchase: http://www.howtotao.com/buy-from-taobao/

I contacted the seller and he said (from what I gathered) even though the GB period is technically over, it hasn't started production and he let me put in an order.  I followed the howtotao instructions and used taobao cargo.  I think it got everything right :D We'll see if I'm able to do the next step and pay the warehouse. 
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 12:05:20 »

I contacted the seller and he said (from what I gathered) even though the GB period is technically over, it hasn't started production and he let me put in an order.  I followed the howtotao instructions and used taobao cargo.  I think it got everything right :D We'll see if I'm able to do the next step and pay the warehouse.

Welcome to the group, haha! Hopefully we get some updates on shipping here soon.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:53:35 »
Interesting - thank goodness I do speak Chinese although it'll be my first time buying anything from taobao.com. Looking into this closely. Feel free to ping me if you guys need anything translated though.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:13:57 »
Interesting - thank goodness I do speak Chinese although it'll be my first time buying anything from taobao.com. Looking into this closely. Feel free to ping me if you guys need anything translated though.
Anything you can do to help decipher the function layer and the firmware stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 00:00:21 »
Anything you can do to help decipher the function layer and the firmware stuff would be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't mention those on the page you linked, except from the fact that it uses a '96PCB'. I'm guessing it uses one of those ZZ96 or b96 pcbs.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 05:54:02 »

it looks like it's just PS2AVR / bootmapper client per your original posts which means it can be anything you want, no?

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 13:28:57 »

it looks like it's just PS2AVR / bootmapper client per your original posts which means it can be anything you want, no?
I think so, I've just never used PS2AVR before and was curious how function worked since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated function key according to the layout shown?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 14:30:18 »

I think so, I've just never used PS2AVR before and was curious how function worked since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated function key according to the layout shown?

Ah okay-

So yeah with PS2AVR/Bootmapper you can just reprogram any key to do anything basically. I believe PS2AVR supports up to 3 separate function layers- but maybe more? So realistically you could program your A key to be function (not that you would, but you get the idea).

It's tough to see if the PCB supports 3 1u's next to the spacebar because that's usually where people put their dedicated function- but if not, you'd just have to dedicate a different key to function. I recently learned people generally use capslock as their dedicated function key with the type of layout shown.

Hopefully this helps. Another good key to dedicate IMO would be the 00 on the numpad. What am I saying, this key doesn't exist on this layout.

But with bootmapper it has all functionality to allow you to code pretty neat little things like your standard volume up, etc.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 March 2017, 07:28:49 by schoolbus »

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 14:40:11 »

Ah okay-

So yeah with PS2AVR/Bootmapper you can just reprogram any key to do anything basically. I believe PS2AVR supports up to 3 separate function layers- but maybe more? So realistically you could program your A key to be function (not that you would, but you get the idea).

It's tough to see if the PCB supports 3 1u's next to the spacebar because that's usually where people put their dedicated function- but if not, you'd just have to dedicate a different key to function. I recently learned people generally use capslock as their dedicated function key with the type of layout shown.

Hopefully this helps. Another good key to dedicate IMO would be the 00 on the numpad.

But with bootmapper it has all functionality to allow you to code pretty neat little things like your standard volume up, etc.

The plate doesn't look like it supports 3 x 1u.

I have Caps Lock and Ctrl swapped on my keyboards. I will likely program Caps Lock (Left Ctrl on normal) as Fn, which is how I have my HHKB set up.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 15:33:43 »

Ah okay-

Hopefully this helps. Another good key to dedicate IMO would be the 00 on the numpad.

Ah, that makes sense, I'll probalby end up turning right alt or control to FN then, or maybe one of the buttons over the numpad...

Offline Belgaer

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 18:14:59 »
Can anyone tell if this supports UK ISO layout? Seems perfect for me apart from that.
Leopold FC980M ISO MX Brown

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 09:02:15 »
Whoever first sees their package arrive at taobao cargo please post here to alert the rest of us that we should be on the lookout. Not sure if they actually contact you or you need to check in periodically. Only used proxies in the past.
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 14:02:15 »
Whoever first sees their package arrive at taobao cargo please post here to alert the rest of us that we should be on the lookout. Not sure if they actually contact you or you need to check in periodically. Only used proxies in the past.
We're approaching the expected shipping window, hopefully we start getting updates soon!

Can anyone tell if this supports UK ISO layout? Seems perfect for me apart from that.
Not that I am aware of, you can try contacting the seller or we'll know more once the boards come in.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 08:40:24 »
I messaged the seller and he said it's taking a little longer because they ended up selling a lot more than they expected with 130 units.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 10:17:33 »
I messaged the seller and he said it's taking a little longer because they ended up selling a lot more than they expected with 130 units.

Probably your fault for creating this thread! Haha, thanks for the update.

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 17:20:12 »
Hi this is my first reply here at geekhack and this will be my first build! I've ordered this GSX96 through the proxy service of bhiner (im in the UK)and i found out the colours still available are silver, grey, blue and red. I also asked is there a wait and apparently the taobao seller said he will be sending out at the end of April. hope this is helpful, i made my purchase today if anyones still thinking of buying.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 18:42:41 »
Hi this is my first reply here at geekhack and this will be my first build! I've ordered this GSX96 through the proxy service of bhiner (im in the UK)and i found out the colours still available are silver, grey, blue and red. I also asked is there a wait and apparently the taobao seller said he will be sending out at the end of April. hope this is helpful, i made my purchase today if anyones still thinking of buying.

I was kind of regretting not joining, this is great info, thanks!

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 02:18:50 »
Just got an aliwangwang pm from the seller today, saying that the PCBs came in with the screw holes in the wrong place. He estimates shipping around 4.30 now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline richard912

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 02:58:14 »
Nice find. I absolutely dig the case. Fortunately, I'm not a fan for this layout or I'd be kicking myself for missing it. Looks like the same bootmapper I am using for my b.mini, which is really easy to use

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 11:15:26 »
Just got an aliwangwang pm from the seller today, saying that the PCBs came in with the screw holes in the wrong place. He estimates shipping around 4.30 now.

Thanks for the update.  I don't mind waiting. 
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 14:28:33 »

I got the same one, sucks that it's delayed but i still need to figure out what switches I want (deciding between MOD and Zealios), and I'm waiting on keycaps so I guess it's not a big deal.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 22:20:38 »
I'd personally go zealio. The smoothness and less wobble is with sacrificing a little tactility.
keyboards.

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 01:23:12 »

I got the same one, sucks that it's delayed but i still need to figure out what switches I want (deciding between MOD and Zealios), and I'm waiting on keycaps so I guess it's not a big deal.
I have a lot of experience with both. Zealios are your best bet, without question.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 08:56:29 »

I have a lot of experience with both. Zealios are your best bet, without question.

I'd personally go zealio. The smoothness and less wobble is with sacrificing a little tactility.
Thanks for the input, I was leaning MOD for the bump, but Zealios do have quite the backing from the community.