Author Topic: first build, need some feedback ...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline sero

first build, need some feedback ...
« on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:51:20 »
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm using a "new poker 2" with browns.

I got a good deal on a used blackwidow with blues, took the case apart, and figured all the cherry mx switches are good, the metal plate is bent but probably fixable, the keycaps are usable and probably that's it.

What would be the shortest path for a first time builder to end up with a new(ish) keyboard out of this? I'm thinking 60-75% layout.

The first step would be to desolder the switches, obviously. That means a solder sucker + solder station, I don't have access to fancy desoldering equipment. I'm no expert, but cutting the pcb to size and then figuring out a way to make the circuit think it was still whole, kind of complicated, unless I do some fancy bending and it looks close to impossible from where I'm standing.

I could cut the metal plate and reuse that, but I probably wouldn't find a pcb to fit the exact switch placements. I am considering soldering without a pcb (a future build might be a custom ergodox-style build, with my own finger placement as a template). I've watched a few people manually soldering switches with wire, with no pcb, seems like a lot of work.

I could ditch the plate entirely and just get a pcb+plate and go from there.

The controller reads: "raz-031/031" + some serial number, it's a 2013 model, made in 2012, not sure I can reuse that.

An additional project will be making a touchpad-like device from spare parts (old smartphone screen/laptop touchpads) to use next to my 60%.

Any guidance for a first time builder (I have some minimal experience soldering things, but no actual tools). My first step would be getting some basic desoldering tools.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 May 2018, 15:00:28 by sero »

Offline Kavik

Re: first build, need some feedback ...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 15:35:00 »
Cutting a PCB will render it inoperable because you will break traces. Traces are sometimes even under the visible top layer, so you can't just eye-ball it either.

Cutting the plate might be possible, but that seems like a lot more effort than its worth because you'd have to make it fit whatever case you get and smooth out the edges and drill into it for screw holes and such.

You've hit on some options already. Basically, you can go with PCB + Plate + Case, PCB + Case, or Plate + Case + controller (soldering switches to the controller with wires instead of PCB).

The easiest, cheapest option would be to get a PCB like the SATAN GH60 and stick it in a tray mount case (I can't think of one in particular, but Massdrop runs them all the time. KBDFans also has some different ones of various materials). I'm not sure, but I think with tray mount cases, the plate is optional. If the case is top mount, you have to have the plate in order to mount it to the top piece of the case.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Tactile

Re: first build, need some feedback ...
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 15:38:48 »
Shortest path would be to harvest your switches and use them in one of these kits.
REΛLFORCE