Author Topic: Small change gives big options for new layout possibilities!  (Read 993 times)

Offline ElBandid0

Images at bottom, can't get them to stay up here for some reason.

1) Fits 60% Cases

2) Uses only standard keys and fits almost all keycap sets 'base sets'

3) Bottom 2 rows can be configured in a multitude of ways! (thanks to the .25u shift of the 3rd row)
    *Left handed and right handed options, due to symmetrical design, the arrow cluster can be placed either side

(see other pics in comments)

4)  More ergonomic in several ways:
    *less hand movement for common keys
    *bottom row shifted .25u so all rows are now the same spaced
    *Layout is more centred so less stretching for right hand
    *'Shift' in better position and as it is the most used out of caps, ctrl, or shift, it should hold the best spot 
    *'Ctrl' is now in line with 'c' 'v' 'x' which is the most common shortcut

5) Fn key placement allows entire board to be easily used as an Fn layer (using thumb is much better than pinky when holding down)
    *Hand stays on home row when reaching for Fn key, so positioning is natural touch typing position so your fingers can find the keys without looking
    *could move almost everything to the Fn layer because of ease of use

6)  Looks beautiful! :) (In my own opinion but I'm a sucker for symmetry [I'm aware it's not actually symmetrical before someone jumps in])
    *I love that the brackets keys are enclosing the top row, (not only does it look nice but it's easier for people learning to touch type to remember in my opinion, open bracket on the left, then you type, and then close on the right hand, the same way as it is displayed on the keyboard)

7) ESDF gamers can rejoice as they can now get the same layout but get to use WASD

8) Main buttons can be configured for Enter, space, or backspace depending on preference
   *Could even have Fn button as Enter, space, or backspace if you preferred so you have all of the big 3 down there

9) Even more room for improvement available if we make keycap sets a little different
   *I'd like to move ',' and '.' to each end of the central row so you would use pinky fingers instead, it would be more ergonomic and would look cool as it matches the brackets the row above  '<'  and '>' at each end of the line

This is very different and I know a lot of people hate change, but I think it could make a lot of sense! I'm going to go ahead and make a few different plates anyways and see how I get on (If anyone knows how to design the plate so that you can use multiple layouts on a single plate, I'd love to hear from you!)

Thanks for reading.

ElBandid0

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 May 2018, 05:33:51 by ElBandid0 »