Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1247206 times)

Offline fisofo

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2700 on: Sun, 04 August 2013, 22:17:04 »
So, this may be a stupid question overall, but I really don't know:

Is there any possibility of making this work with bluetooth, either as part of the plans or as a modification to my (round 4) order when it arrives?

I'm disabled with a significant joint disorder, and I been looking for a new keyboard for ages. This nails every item on my list, except for the fact that since I wind up working on my iPad a lot from bed, I really have to have a bluetooth keyboard to connect to the iPad.

I'm really excited about the 4th Massdrop, even if I can only use it on the desktop, but I'm hoping someone might have an idea for fixing it to work over Bluetooth (other than the shady imported USB-to-Bluetooth adapters...).

Cheers!

I don't know about that (probably a LOT of work), but you might be interested in this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.0

Offline anotherjunkie

« Reply #2701 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:21:30 »
I don't know about that (probably a LOT of work), but you might be interested in this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.0

This is great. I saw it briefly yesterday, but I came away worried about traveling with the legs like that and concerned about whether or not it would gain as much steam here as the original design did. I did not see, though, that he'd planned to do some in wireless until I just went back. That's a game changer -- Thanks!

Offline tilmann

« Reply #2702 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 17:58:25 »
I've been successfully using my ErgoDox for several months but yesterday the SW[0-5]9 column on the right hand stopped working. I reflowed the soldering joint which connects this column to the Teensy but it didn't help.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #2703 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 23:43:22 »
Don't forget that you've got two joints there - one on the
ErgoDox PCB, and another to the Teensy PCB...

Short circuit to ground somewhere on your board?

PB2 output of teensy fried?  If it's the output, you could
re-code the firmware to use another, otherwise
unused pin (just run a wire over to PE6 or something...)

Offline tilmann

« Reply #2704 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 03:43:12 »
Thanks for the hints!

Resoldering the joint on the Teensy PCB did it :)

I love how easy it is to repair the ErgoDox (and this is my first real soldering project).

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2705 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:12:01 »
Last ditch effort to get people to join group buys for ErgoDox Key Caps, both of which could be dropped if there isnt any more orders

1. DSA Profile Dolch Blanks (full set) - <24 hours left
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44912.0

Small amount of time left. Needs 5 orders to get to to $58.06 and be a go (from what domo last said about it), 15 more orders to be $46.50

2. "Military" Theme SA Profile (modifier ADD on to base set) <3 days left
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45655.0

Needs 20 more people. However it is possible with the small amount of orders, sorter will purchase blanks individually and sort each manually. So it is likely this is going done even with small orders. This is expensive but very unique.

--

Some more ErgoDox cap sets likely going to be offered in Group Buy(s) in the coming weeks, likely by BunnyLake but not confirmed.

Surely there are some here who want more cap choices.....

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2706 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:34:22 »
Last ditch effort to get people to join group buys for ErgoDox Key Caps, both of which could be dropped if there isnt any more orders

1. DSA Profile Dolch Blanks (full set) - <24 hours left
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44912.0

Small amount of time left. Needs 5 orders to get to to $58.06 and be a go (from what domo last said about it), 15 more orders to be $46.50

2. "Military" Theme SA Profile (modifier ADD on to base set) <3 days left
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45655.0

Needs 20 more people. However it is possible with the small amount of orders, sorter will purchase blanks individually and sort each manually. So it is likely this is going done even with small orders. This is expensive but very unique.

--

Some more ErgoDox cap sets likely going to be offered in Group Buy(s) in the coming weeks, likely by BunnyLake but not confirmed.

Surely there are some here who want more cap choices.....

All I see is sets that will end up shiny. If there was a dolch pbt set or similar I'd be all over it.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2707 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:48:03 »
that's why you get more sets, replace the ones with shine lol, maybe put tape on the 2x ones like some people do with space bars on rare stuff. get separate WASD keys to not shine up those high traffic keys. bah plus i like switching up caps to what mood im in lol.

pbt would be cool, im just trying to influence ergodox add-on kits added to future GBs, or maybe do Ergo Add-on and add a few more keys for support for ErgoGP so then ErgoDox and ErgoGP :P

Offline bbl

« Reply #2708 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:31:45 »
For Ergodox, pls add legends to the modifier keys.  Current GBs offer only blank modifiers.  We can get those from MassDrop.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2709 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:38:43 »
For Ergodox, pls add legends to the modifier keys.  Current GBs offer only blank modifiers.  We can get those from MassDrop.

The beauty of the ErgoDox is that it has a configurable layout, so people assign mods to different keys, thus those keys are left blank to have a universal set.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2710 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 12:08:56 »
Yeah it doesn't really make sense to put labels on a programmable keyboard with a much different key layout from normal, at least not for the manufacturer/distributor. Once it gets into the consumer's hands they can put legends wherever they want to.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2711 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:42:53 »
yeah im only pushing for blanks for the modifiers, like how this is set up:

but with a couple extra R1 blanks for those who don't have the +- keys on R1.

I know many would want all blanks but i would hope to just get SOMETHING accommodating for the ergodox than nothing. I know that some don't really care about key caps, but i do like having different ones and i can't be the only one.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2712 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:14:09 »
To deviate a little from the current topic --- I like that wooden full hand rest for the ergodox.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2713 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:20:09 »
:) i like it too, not the best picture of it though

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2714 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:35:57 »
I went dig through your flickr stream to see a few more pics.  I like the setup.  And continuing to look through your stream, just made me wish I participated in a few GBs that I skipped out on. =]

I really need to get on the ball and build one of my ergodox kits.  Ever since the TheProf assembly fiasco, I've just been looking at the box from MassDrop.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2715 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:45:11 »
did you need assembly services? or is the extra cost not needed because you will do it yourself?

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2716 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 18:33:57 »
Not sure, tbh.  I was debating doing it myself, now, but lazyness may win out.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2717 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:44:30 »
started having issues with both of the trrs cables that I had (man, these things don't hold up well), and decided to make my own with some spare audio wire I had.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2718 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 07:06:09 »
It may be a good idea to have spares. I don't think I'd ever want to be forced to use a conventional keyboard again, even temporarily.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2719 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:50:54 »
It may be a good idea to have spares. I don't think I'd ever want to be forced to use a conventional keyboard again, even temporarily.

Thus I got spares for everything even before building one, I/O controller, Teensy, connectors, switches, cables, everything! Perks of assembling one yourself and not using Massdrop

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2720 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:54:47 »

Thus I got spares for everything even before building one, I/O controller, Teensy, connectors, switches, cables, everything! Perks of assembling one yourself and not using Massdrop

Speaking of assembling...  Is there a list somewhere for vendors who offer ErgoDox assembly services?  Or did I skip right over that page?  If it's on the OP I'm going to be pissed...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2721 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:57:27 »
Wheee R3 has shipped as of this morning

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2722 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:59:42 »
Speaking of assembling...  Is there a list somewhere for vendors who offer ErgoDox assembly services?  Or did I skip right over that page?  If it's on the OP I'm going to be pissed...

There is a thread with list of people providing services, I think any of the assemblers there should easily assemble one of these.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2723 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 12:01:32 »

might be a better idea to make your own cables than have a few spares. if made with thick gauge wires (around 24 awg would be the thickest I'd go, but 26awg would be ideal) and braided with a flat iem-style braid, I imagine it would last a very long time (especially considering the fact that one doesn't move the keyboard all the often compared to earphones). My ergodox finally stopped dropping out (been doing that for the last few days) after the cable change, and as far as I can see, short of tugging the entire wire out from the solder joint, it's unlikely to spoil.

I was quite surprised to have both of my stock cables from the massdrop kit conk out on me recently, when I haven't actually been too rough with them. Made me open up my ergodox a couple of times to check if it was a bad solder joint before I realized it was the cable - and two at once at that.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45886.0

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2724 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 12:11:57 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45886.0

Thanks, guys!  I'm going down the list, seeing who's closest to me and has room in their project queue!   :-\

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2725 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 12:38:18 »
I've been trying to find, but what is the thread of the bolts that come with the ErgoDox? I want to look at a few different types of cap nuts

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2726 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 12:46:12 »
I've been trying to find, but what is the thread of the bolts that come with the ErgoDox? I want to look at a few different types of cap nuts

Metric size 3.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2727 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:11:32 »
Thanks!

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2728 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:37:20 »
Just to add - this is what I got from MassDrop when I asked about the screws a few weeks back:

Quote from: 'MassDrop'
Metric Zinc-Plated Steel Hex Nut, Class 6, M3 Size, .5MM Pitch, 5.5MM W, 2.4MM H

Metric Class 12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw, Alloy Steel, M3 Thread, 22MM Length, 0.50MM Pitch

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2729 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 01:40:13 »
started having issues with both of the trrs cables that I had (man, these things don't hold up well), and decided to make my own with some spare audio wire I had.

yeah i've gone through 2 TRRS cables myself, on the third

ordered the connectors to make my own as well because of this; similar to those.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2730 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:21:00 »
Man I really, really wish right angle TRRS cables weren't impossible to find.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2731 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:27:48 »

Something like this?

And that's taken from a Norwegian website, if I can manage to find one here then it should be fairly easy to find one in the US.

Offline thadood

« Reply #2732 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:43:42 »
Aye - those aren't too uncommon! You can probably find it on Digikey or Mouser fairly easily.

Massdrop folks are suppose to be getting out tracking numbers soon - this is very exciting! I guess it's time to buy an iron and some solder..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2733 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:44:35 »

Something like this?
Show Image

And that's taken from a Norwegian website, if I can manage to find one here then it should be fairly easy to find one in the US.

That's a TRS, not TRRS. Also, that's the connector. I'm looking for complete cables with dual right angle plugs.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2734 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:44:58 »
Aye - those aren't too uncommon! You can probably find it on Digikey or Mouser fairly easily.

Massdrop folks are suppose to be getting out tracking numbers soon - this is very exciting! I guess it's time to buy an iron and some solder..

Got mine this morning, delivery will be the day after tomorrow, yay!

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2735 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:56:03 »

Lol - I still need to pick up an iron/solder to build my kits from round 1.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2736 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 11:03:47 »

Something like this?
Show Image

That's a TRS, not TRRS. Also, that's the connector. I'm looking for complete cables with dual right angle plugs.

Ah, sorry, I was in a hurry so I overlooked that part.

Offline Larken

« Reply #2737 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:49:38 »

http://www.showmecables.com/product/3-5mm-Plug-TRRS-Right-Angle-Connector-Plastic.aspx

not something I'd recommend though. Instead of individual tabs to solder to, this one has a center pole, which is pretty difficult to solder to, though still possible.

Offline thadood

« Reply #2738 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 08:51:59 »
It looks like there's yet another group buy happening on Massdrop for this!

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #2739 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:02:46 »

Says who? I know an R4 will happen eventually but it seems to be dead still.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline vatin

« Reply #2740 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:47:18 »

I followed the link in the r3 shipping notification and came to a page which seemingly show an ongoing ergodox group buy. Possibly there's a conflict in time continuem.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2741 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:09:30 »

I followed the link in the r3 shipping notification and came to a page which seemingly show an ongoing ergodox group buy. Possibly there's a conflict in time continuem.

Huehuehue

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2742 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:42:00 »
R4 isn't up on MassDrop yet, but not to worry. Interest for another round is higher than it ever has been before (400+ requests!!!)

Offline vatin

« Reply #2743 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:50:10 »
Keep the momentum going!!! Ergonomic rules.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #2744 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:51:02 »
R4 isn't up on MassDrop yet, but not to worry. Interest for another round is higher than it ever has been before (400+ requests!!!)

Can't wait for R4, hopefully they have a choice of what kind of case you want!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2745 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 12:00:53 »
Can't say I'll be participating in another ErgoDox buy through MassDrop - I picked up two kits on R1, because I was afraid we wouldn't have any more (wrong idea, right?).  I would be interested in some more case options, though.  I'd like to see an option for colored acrylic.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2746 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:26:08 »
Aluminum plates are back, full and partial assembly, cherry reds, and over 600 requests.

What. The. ****.

Too bad I'm now more interested in the ErgoGP and 70% version

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2747 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:33:34 »
I'm liking this popularity of the  Ergodox

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #2748 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:58:16 »
Can't wait to try the magical rainbow of wonderfull-ness that is described by TP4 in all of his posts

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2749 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 12:24:19 »
Aluminum plates are back, full and partial assembly, cherry reds, and over 600 requests.

What. The. ****.

Too bad I'm now more interested in the ErgoGP and 70% version

unless the aluminium is cut by someone else with better materials and anodized and matches the correct cutting so no sanding and filing is required it is not worth it to go aluminium, that crap is horrible, is only good for pretty pictures and for the sake of saying "i own an aluminium ergodox"