Author Topic: How to get bottom of caps smooth.  (Read 1504 times)

Offline TheVengeance

How to get bottom of caps smooth.
« on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:59:34 »
Hey fellow arts, I'm finally having some casting success but one area that I'm struggling to perfect is the post processing and getting the bottom of the walls of the cap nice and smooth.

I usually clip off any flashing and sprues but then I need to remove the additional bits of resin left where they were.

Using my needle files I can get things quite smooth, but along the edges it just makes the cap frosted.

Any techniques you guys use? Buffing wheels? Wet and dry? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Also do you think I could use wet and dry at high grit to perfect the finish on the outside of caps?

Just interested in how you manage your post processing really.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: How to get bottom of caps smooth.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:07:20 »
I don't cast myself but I know quite a few of the better artisans do sand the bases.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 13:00:44 »
Get some very fine sandpaper. Try to get most of the flashing off with a hobby knife, and then gently sand the bottom.

After sanding, I give each key a bath in gentle cleaner to remove traces of mold release and resin dust, and scrub them gently with a soft toothbrush. I then dry them off and inspect for any frosting.

Do be aware that you need a mask if you're going to sand keycaps. Breathing in resin dust is quite toxic and nasty, and you will breathe it in without realizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:42:31 »
Get some very fine sandpaper. Try to get most of the flashing off with a hobby knife, and then gently sand the bottom.

After sanding, I give each key a bath in gentle cleaner to remove traces of mold release and resin dust, and scrub them gently with a soft toothbrush. I then dry them off and inspect for any frosting.

Do be aware that you need a mask if you're going to sand keycaps. Breathing in resin dust is quite toxic and nasty, and you will breathe it in without realizing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, hadn't considered the mask, by hobby knife you mean like an exacto?

Also, fine sandpaper, we talking 1200 or something like that?

Thanks