Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3543053 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12050 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 21:34:38 »
Is Unicomp the only company making buckling springs stems/caps?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #12051 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 22:05:17 »
Not sure if its a simple question but,
I've just given the V60 a closer look again since its currently on MD and was looking at some pictures of the PCB.

The PCB is US/ISO/JP so it support things like split left shift for iso (and split backspace for jp?).
However it also support a split right shift, with the add-on key labeled as esc?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to mod or short wire to see what happens when you trigger the add-on keys of split right shift (labeled esc) or split backspace (labeled J14) on an us version.

I guess due to firmware they might not do anything on the us, and its most likely not practical anyway since the v60 isn't programmable but I'm really curious and maybe someone has more knowledge about JP vs US layout...

Offline just1n

« Reply #12052 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 22:26:08 »
Why leeku pcb not working on 64 bit?

Mine works fine for me

Can you show me?

Um, I mean I can take a picture of aquakeytest for you but I just plugged mine in and it had the basic firmware loaded. And my leeku is at work so you'd have to wait. I'm not sure how else I can help since I've never had any problems with it.

Yes. I see. But I fixed my issue. Anyway, thanks.

Sorry to be late. Too much work. Leeku pcb normal work for you?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #12053 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 23:46:51 »
What program and tools do I need to draw a plate for pcb?

I use autocad but Swill's plate builder will work.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.0
Autodesk Inventor, FreeCAD, ProEngineer, and SolidWorks are all options too. Inventor and FreeCAD are free. But swill's tool is probably easiest.

Thanks!  I am trying to draw a plate for my 360c, so I need the little tab with holes.  Am I correct that swill's tool can only draw a plate without the tabs?
I am not sure that thing call a "tab" or something else, but the part in the blue circle is what I mean

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12054 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 23:56:29 »
When I open a switch, I can a swap slider and spring to turn a ...
... MX red into a MX black,
... MX blue into a MX green,
... MX brown into a MX clear,
right? But I can't swap the interior to turn a MX red into a, say MX clear, right?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12055 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 00:02:29 »
right? But I can't swap the interior to turn a MX red into a, say MX clear, right?
You can make any mx switch become any other MX switch by swapping the slider and spring.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #12056 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 00:03:40 »

They all have the same switch bottom and top.  Their differences are only the spring and the slider, so you are able to turn MX brown into MX clear, MX red into MX clear if you switch both the slider and the spring.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12057 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 01:59:10 »
Oh! That's great.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 02:24:45 by Eszett »

Offline onseki

« Reply #12058 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 07:47:06 »
I have a Poker II that I am happy with, aside from one small thing. Two, maybe.

Sometimes when I am using the board, seemingly completely randomly, it will switch over to the second programmed layer, with no lights popping up anywhere. Aside from manually hitting FN+whatever, I didn't think that there was any way to toggle the second layer. As far as I know, the second layer is just the arrow keys and the printed functions. It is not modifiable. What am I inadvertently pressing to end up this way? Not all of the functions are activating upon keypresses, just the arrow keys (wasd)

The third layer is the programmable layer, and I have "okl;" mapped for the arrow keys for playing Danmaku. I use right shift+FN to toggle to this layer. Since these are the only programmed keys, I can still use the native volume control (FN+nm,). However, when I try to change the volume while pressing a shift+Z+FN+n/m, the left alt key lights up, and I can't make any keypresses at all. What the heck is going on? I admit that's probably a lot to make the keyboard handle, but I would like to at least know what I am doing wrong.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12059 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:05:32 »
So, pardon my ignorance, but could anyone explain the differences been the xwhatsit controller and a Soarer's Converter?

So I've got a Model F AT coming in the mail soon, and I ordered one of the Soarer's Converters off Orihalcon on ebay. From what I understand, the SC is a Teensy with Soarer's firmware that is an intermediary device between your keyboard and PC, and the xwhatsit replaces the keyboard's original controller and provides all the same functionality. Is that right?

Is there any major difference in functionality, or any reason to prefer one over the other? Is one more difficult to create or install than the other? I'm thinking I may eventually want to use Xwhatsit's controller for my Model F because having the SC separate from the keyboard itself would probably bother me after a while.

Thanks.

Edit: Completely unrelated question, does anyone know what is required to get an ADDS 1010 terminal keyboard to work with modern PCs, if it is even possible?
Connector
Gallery of pics (not mine)
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:26:40 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12060 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:33:51 »
the SC is a Teensy with Soarer's firmware that is an intermediary device between your keyboard and PC, and the xwhatsit replaces the keyboard's original controller and provides all the same functionality.

Is there any major difference in functionality, or any reason to prefer one over the other?

Soarer's is infinitely easier because replacing a controller requires a lot of ancillary work.

"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12061 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:55:31 »
So, pardon my ignorance, but could anyone explain the differences been the xwhatsit controller and a Soarer's Converter?

So I've got a Model F AT coming in the mail soon, and I ordered one of the Soarer's Converters off Orihalcon on ebay. From what I understand, the SC is a Teensy with Soarer's firmware that is an intermediary device between your keyboard and PC, and the xwhatsit replaces the keyboard's original controller and provides all the same functionality. Is that right?

Is there any major difference in functionality, or any reason to prefer one over the other? Is one more difficult to create or install than the other? I'm thinking I may eventually want to use Xwhatsit's controller for my Model F because having the SC separate from the keyboard itself would probably bother me after a while.

Thanks.

Edit: Completely unrelated question, does anyone know what is required to get an ADDS 1010 terminal keyboard to work with modern PCs, if it is even possible?
Connector

SC will work out of the box and is much easier to physically install as it is 4 wires between the controller and the PC.  I put mine inside the case of my XT and just run the USB cable out of the case. 

Xwhatsit is much more difficult to physically install as you have to desolder a pair of 15 connector ribbon cables.  The wires are stranded condutors in small holes and are a bit of a pain to desolder.  But it is MUCH easier to configure the xwhatsit with the utility.  I have an xwhatsit in my AT.  Currently in the process of doing a remote mount on mine though.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Rose

« Reply #12062 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:25:35 »
Just about ready to start putting things together.  Trying to plan ahead while I wait for the acrylic sheets I ordered.  How does this matrix look?  It will require me rotating a few switch holes in the thumb cluster.  I was trying to make the wiring as simple and neat as possible.  Is anything obviously wrong here?  Thanks.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12063 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:55:06 »
Edit: Sorry.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:18:35 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12064 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:31:59 »
Please don't bump questions. I'll try and answer some questions when I can find a computer to type at.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12065 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 00:56:07 »
Is Unicomp the only company making buckling springs stems/caps?

Clicky Keyboards sells some, but I don't think they make them: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/10191

Same for Fentek: http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.VSoI7GbHG_M
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #12066 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:16:23 »
I have a really petty question.
Should I set up my plate for stepped offset caps lock or centered caps lock?
Don't want that wide modular cutout or mod the stem for my backlit key either lol
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12067 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 08:50:02 »

Clicky Keyboards sells some, but I don't think they make them

Pretty sure that they harvest them from vintage boards, so they often match better than Unicomps.

Remember when ordering that sub-legends on the numpad come as: light or dark gray, light or dark brown, or black. They will need to know what you prefer.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #12068 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:03:35 »
Any online stores stocking stabs, stickers, and mx clear switches, possibly lube atm?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12069 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:54:04 »
Any online stores stocking stabs, stickers, and mx clear switches, possibly lube atm?

Elite Keyboards is a good start for the more common items.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12070 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 16:57:15 »

Pretty sure that they harvest them from vintage boards, so they often match better than Unicomps.

Remember when ordering that sub-legends on the numpad come as: light or dark gray, light or dark brown, or black. They will need to know what you prefer.

Thanks guys.  But I was wondering as a possible source for buckling springs caps with custom legends.  Mostly multi unit stabilized keys.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12071 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 17:27:23 »
 -

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #12072 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:36:14 »
-

What is the thing in the first picture called?  I remember I loved to play with it in middle school :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12073 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:40:04 »
What is the thing in the first picture called?

An "engraver" or "hand-held engraving tool"

Offline intelli78

« Reply #12074 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:46:11 »

EK doesn't carry any of those things except lube, and their lube is for stabs, not switches.

Try MechanicalKeyboards.com for the switches and lube, TechKeys for the stickers. Not sure who has stabilizers in stock right now, but there was just a big GB so you can try posting in that GB thread.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12075 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 18:50:49 »

EK doesn't carry any of those things except lube, and their lube is for stabs, not switches.

Try MechanicalKeyboards.com for the switches and lube, TechKeys for the stickers. Not sure who has stabilizers in stock right now, but there was just a big GB so you can try posting in that GB thread.
Can confirm. Tried to put MechLube 2 on my Clears (they say it should work for switches), but it's too thick in my opinion.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12076 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:14:19 »
Do stickers really make a difference?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12077 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:17:00 »
people mostly do it for aesthetics which seems pretty silly considering the amount of time you see them. Then again, I think most of the time people just stick em on when they're opening switches already like for spring swaps
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12078 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:19:49 »
I think it looks good on assembly pictures ;)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12079 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:24:05 »
I thought the stickers went in between the switch casing top and bottom sections. When would you see that except when the switch is apart?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12080 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:28:36 »
I thought the stickers went in between the switch casing top and bottom sections. When would you see that except when the switch is apart?

You don't see the whole sticker, but part of it. See this picture: (Not mine)

Also with gateron clear switch tops becoming more popular, I think stickers will be more popular again. B7ad had a beautiful board built recently by margo with clear switch tops and stickers, and it looked amazing!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12081 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:32:35 »

You don't see the whole sticker, but part of it. See this picture: (Not mine)
Show Image

Also with gateron clear switch tops becoming more popular, I think stickers will be more popular again. B7ad had a beautiful board built recently by margo with clear switch tops and stickers, and it looked amazing!
and someone did a build with those neon green stickers that looked pretty awesome
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #12082 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:34:38 »
You can see a little bit poking through:

(photo blatantly taken from b7ad's blog)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12083 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:36:16 »
B7ad has such beautiful boards! This is his recent one I was talking about:

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12084 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 22:50:46 »
So my Soarer's Converter arrived in the mail today. Trying it with some old board I had lying around, and all is fine except for one key. Doesn't seem to do anything, nothing registers in HID Listen. Is this likely to be something wrong with the switch itself, or something nonstandard about this keyboard?

Thanks.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #12085 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 23:25:39 »
Any of these mech boards?

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12086 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 00:21:33 »
The IBM isn't, and I'm pretty sure the Compaq one isn't.

I don't recognise the others. Do you have closeup pics of the switches? I can't see the ones in those pics, very potato + my eyes are potatoes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 00:23:13 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12087 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:29:01 »

Thanks guys.  But I was wondering as a possible source for buckling springs caps with custom legends.  Mostly multi unit stabilized keys.

Looks like Fentek might (scroll down to the bottom): http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm#.VSuZ5ZSUdfY

DecentKeyboards seem to do 1x, maybe others too? https://www.etsy.com/shop/DecentKeyboards
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12088 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 07:32:31 »
Doesn't seem to do anything, nothing registers in HID Listen.

If nothing registers in HID listen, it is almost sure to be a dead switch.

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #12089 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 08:01:21 »
The IBM isn't, and I'm pretty sure the Compaq one isn't.

I don't recognise the others. Do you have closeup pics of the switches? I can't see the ones in those pics, very potato + my eyes are potatoes.

Not my pictures sadly. That's as good as they get :(

Offline vegabook

« Reply #12090 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 13:16:46 »
Where can I buy a 60%, backlit keyboard, where I can program how the backlights behave entirely myself? I want to create a piece of software that will talk back to the keyboard and illuminate certain keys in response to actions in the software.  Preferably RGB and preferably mechanical. Must be 60% as space is at a premium but 75% might work. The key point is I need the illumination level of each individual key to be programmable by me in my own software (from say, C, or Golang).
Will any of the keyboards such as the Pok3r or the Ducky Mini be able to do this?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 13:41:56 by vegabook »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12091 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 13:57:37 »
AFAIK there are no programmable RGB 60% boards. I think corsairs software can do what you're talking about but the smallest board you can get from them is tkl.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12092 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:16:20 »
Thanks!  I am trying to draw a plate for my 360c, so I need the little tab with holes.  Am I correct that swill's tool can only draw a plate without the tabs?
I am not sure that thing call a "tab" or something else, but the part in the blue circle is what I mean
Show Image

1) Use swill's tool and get it to spit out the 2D CAD file for you, not the drawing.
2) Open the file in FreeCAD or your CAD program of choice
3) Add in the tabs.

Swill's tool only does the plate.

I have a Poker II that I am happy with, aside from one small thing. Two, maybe.

Sometimes when I am using the board, seemingly completely randomly, it will switch over to the second programmed layer, with no lights popping up anywhere. Aside from manually hitting FN+whatever, I didn't think that there was any way to toggle the second layer. As far as I know, the second layer is just the arrow keys and the printed functions. It is not modifiable. What am I inadvertently pressing to end up this way? Not all of the functions are activating upon keypresses, just the arrow keys (wasd)

The third layer is the programmable layer, and I have "okl;" mapped for the arrow keys for playing Danmaku. I use right shift+FN to toggle to this layer. Since these are the only programmed keys, I can still use the native volume control (FN+nm,). However, when I try to change the volume while pressing a shift+Z+FN+n/m, the left alt key lights up, and I can't make any keypresses at all. What the heck is going on? I admit that's probably a lot to make the keyboard handle, but I would like to at least know what I am doing wrong.

I don't really know off the top of my head and it's not a very simple question. I suggest making a separate thread to get more visibility.

I have a really petty question.
Should I set up my plate for stepped offset caps lock or centered caps lock?
Don't want that wide modular cutout or mod the stem for my backlit key either lol

Do you want a stepped or centered caps lock? Go from there.

Just about ready to start putting things together.  Trying to plan ahead while I wait for the acrylic sheets I ordered.  How does this matrix look?  It will require me rotating a few switch holes in the thumb cluster.  I was trying to make the wiring as simple and neat as possible.  Is anything obviously wrong here?  Thanks.

Really not a simple question. I suggest making a separate thread for more visibility. Thread is really for quick and easy questions. I don't consider matrix checks a simple question.

Where can I buy a 60%, backlit keyboard, where I can program how the backlights behave entirely myself? I want to create a piece of software that will talk back to the keyboard and illuminate certain keys in response to actions in the software.  Preferably RGB and preferably mechanical. Must be 60% as space is at a premium but 75% might work. The key point is I need the illumination level of each individual key to be programmable by me in my own software (from say, C, or Golang).
Will any of the keyboards such as the Pok3r or the Ducky Mini be able to do this?

Pretty sure this doesn't exist in a stock board. You're probably going to have build a custom.

1) Could anyone explain the differences been the xwhatsit controller and a Soarer's Converter?

More

2) Completely unrelated question, does anyone know what is required to get an ADDS 1010 terminal keyboard to work with modern PCs, if it is even possible?
Connector

1) In addition to what has already been said, Soarer seems to be a bit easier and is an external add-on. You could hide it inside the board but you can also make an inline converter like Fohat.digs has shown. xwhatsit's controller requires you replace the original controller with his. I was scared to damage my OG hardware in my 4074 62key when I was swapping in the xwhatsit.

Soarer's converter allows you to use a variety of firmwares such as TMK or metalliqaz's EasyAVR. xwhatsit's converter only uses his software that he's created programming for.

So my Soarer's Converter arrived in the mail today. Trying it with some old board I had lying around, and all is fine except for one key. Doesn't seem to do anything, nothing registers in HID Listen. Is this likely to be something wrong with the switch itself, or something nonstandard about this keyboard?

Thanks.

Seems like the switch might be dead or that switch doesn't have a regular scancode.

EliteKeyboards isn't really good for anything on your list other than lube. I suggest checking out MechanicalKeyboards.com and Techkeys.us

I think it looks good on assembly pictures ;)

See the OP. I think they're a waste of time and money to be honest. It's a PITA to add the stickers on and you'll see them....once or twice a month or year when you swap caps? Putting them on solely to take a nice picture is a colossal waste of time in my eyes.

Did you see rowdy's reply from Fentek? I think they might be able to help you out.

Any of these mech boards?

Show Image

Show Image

I don't think so. Looks like all rubber domes to me.

Pretty sure that's everything from when I was AFK. Let me know if I missed anything.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #12093 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 21:30:32 »

1) Use swill's tool and get it to spit out the 2D CAD file for you, not the drawing.
2) Open the file in FreeCAD or your CAD program of choice
3) Add in the tabs.

Swill's tool only does the plate.

Thanks!  Will try that now  :)

Offline ceflame

« Reply #12094 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:25:02 »
Is there currently any place to purchase PCB mounted cherry stabilizers besides GON and winkeyless?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12095 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:28:26 »
Is there currently any place to purchase PCB mounted cherry stabilizers besides GON and winkeyless?
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=55

but their description is vague, not sure what's in the kit. Probably 4x2u & 1x6.25u
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ceflame

« Reply #12096 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:32:40 »
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=55

but their description is vague, not sure what's in the kit. Probably 4x2u & 1x6.25u

Those are the knock-off stabilizers though right? I think I remember seeing someone post a negative review about them.

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #12097 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 04:28:56 »
Anybody know somewhere where I can try out a Topre keyboard? My location is San Jose, CA. LA is too far, I can buy the keyboard with the gas money. SF is possible but it's really reaching. Anybody know of a local Frys that has one out to try maybe?  :(
Beep Boop

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12098 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:48:26 »
Anybody know somewhere where I can try out a Topre keyboard? My location is San Jose, CA. LA is too far, I can buy the keyboard with the gas money. SF is possible but it's really reaching. Anybody know of a local Frys that has one out to try maybe?  :(

My US geography is a bit vague.  Are you anywhere near EK?

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#10

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12099 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:49:19 »
I checked earlier. EK is too far from San Jose.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit