Author Topic: "Best" alternative layout  (Read 20194 times)

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
Re: "Best" alternative layout
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:11:55 »
People loves to debate and to wait for the best. I think you guys can wait for another century or two and still there is no best layout at all.

I have switched to Colemak so I don't look at other layouts. I have paid the price; now I don't need to switch to any other layouts again (the switching time is really tough, takes at least 6 months to be fluent.).

For people who are at crossroads, I understand their attachments to Qwerty, since their fear of losing credibility is so imminent. Minimak is good at releasing that fear by give up 20% of efficiency that normally Colemak/Dvorak layout gives, just to make the switching roads easier.

But right now once I have switched, I see that fear has no establishments at all, that's purely psychological. Like that kind of fear you've experienced when you learn to walk or to swim. But you only know it when you have switched, not before.

So I let you guys debate forever, since it's impossible to me to know which layout is better than the other.

But I have converted to Colemak and I decide to call it done.

you're right!..now I realize that this is why I personally haven't made the jump.. I was afraid for one reason or another - (which is why I was looking at Minimak).  But I'm decided now.  I'm going to do it (learn an alternative layout - just not sure which one yet).  One question: do you recommend learning it full on, or using those transition methods?  Also - any tips or pitfalls to avoid?  Thank you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:20:38 »
Tony, did you happen to take a look at Minimak?  How do you like this in comparison to Colemak?

I'm debating whether to learn Colemak, or Minimak (probably the 6 key version). 

I want to be able to still retain my QWERTY proficiency but have a better layout available for the times I am able to use it.

People love to debate and to wait for the best. I think you guys can wait for another century or two and still there is no best layout at all.

I have switched to Colemak so I don't look at other layouts. I have paid the price; now I don't need to switch to any other layouts again (the switching time is really tough, takes at least 6 months to be fluent.).

For people who are at crossroads, I understand their attachments to Qwerty, since their fear of losing credibility is so imminent. Minimak is good at releasing that fear by give up 20% of efficiency that normally Colemak/Dvorak layout gives, just to make the switching roads easier.

But right now once I have switched, I see that fear has no establishments at all, that's purely psychological. Like that kind of fear you've experienced when you learn to walk or to swim. But you only know it when you have switched, not before.

So I let you guys debate forever, since it's impossible to me to know which layout is better than the other.

But I have converted to Colemak and I decide to call it done.

p/s: I dropped Qwerty completely when I had reached 30wpm in Colemak . If you use two layouts, they share the same motor memory in your brain and the spinal cords, so the confusion is high.

Debate is part of the human nature and mind. Only some species follow the lead with no questions: e.g. sheeps.

Offline Tony

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:21:56 »
I have learned Colemak with full keyboard, but step by step, one or two keys each time. I don't try any transition methods so I can't say about them.

But it's like Newton principles.

If you learn with full keyboard (one big switch - 17 keys in Colemak), you have to put more mental power on it right from the start, but your road is shorter and fixed from the beginning.

If you learn it gradually, your first step is easier, but the toughness will increase each time, and the road is constantly changing and confusing a bit. Each transition is a mini switch (4 keys at a time).

So 17  or 4 +4+ 4+5. That's all pretty the same I think.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:23:48 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:05:17 »
Debate is part of the Rationalist nature and mind. Only some species follow the lead with no questions: e.g. sheeps.
FTFY

Offline Laiin

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:53:33 »
Or a IBM model M where the caps can be relocated because the concave profile is generated by the switch mounting plate, not by row-unique cap angles. :D
So if i bought a Model M i wouldn't have to worry about anything? They are pretty cheap in my country since people just think it's some old piece of crap (not finding it in a thrift shop cheap but around 80-100$ brand new).

Offline Tony

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:58:52 »
So if i bought a Model M i wouldn't have to worry about anything? They are pretty cheap in my country since people just think it's some old piece of crap (not finding it in a thrift shop cheap but around 80-100$ brand new).

A Model M is indeed an old, stubborn piece of durable crap. I have one in my country for $15, sorted from dirty computer craps imported from the US.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 17:29:08 »

A Model M is indeed an old, stubborn piece of durable crap. I have one in my country for $15, sorted from dirty computer craps imported from the US.

Well if having the legends appearing where they should for an alternative layout is your goal, the M solves that problem, but there are other options such as blank keycaps, DSA profile caps or custom/layout specific keysets.

You still have to change the language settings and add the different keyboard layout and this may or may not require downloading and installing the layout first.
Visit the Typing Test and try!