Author Topic: "rawko" Cherry POS board (browns) G80-8200  (Read 2341 times)

Offline N8N

• Trade Count: (0)
"rawko" Cherry POS board (browns) G80-8200
« on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 09:22:23 »
anyone want it?

Cherry MX8000 aka G80-8200LPBUS/2

I bought it and a clears board from "rawko" on eBay.  This one originally had browns.  I used it as a tester for ergo clears switching it back to back with the clears board.  It worked fine when I got it.  It worked fine with the ergo clears.  I took the clear stems back out of it to mod my Filco to straight clears and put the original brown sliders back in.  So this board has been fairly thoroughly cleaned as well as the sliders have been cleaned and lubed (with DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant) and it feels pretty good.

Unfortunately now it doesn't work, and since I'm not a big fan of browns and already have this exact same board in clears I have no need for it, nor am I motivated to find out what I horked up. (I was really putting it back together to sell.  If you want to give it a try, I'd be happy to just pass this on to someone else.  Likely it's a not-properly-set switch top.  Say $30 shipped to you or $40 with a Belkin USB adapter?  This really is a nice board, the only main downside to it is the size and the goofy looking card reader.  It is NKRO over PS/2 and programmable.

Edit: I just went around the board and pushed down on all the keycaps really hard and now it's functional again.  How about $50 shipped to you (CONUS) or $60 with your choice of Belkin or ZioTek USB adapter (I recommend the Belkin, but the only thing I've found about the ZioTek is that it doesn't handle Scroll Lock correctly.  Other than that it works great, both work well with Model Ms.)

Edit2: this has the original grey (very heavy spring) slider and spring in the space bar switch.  I do have extra springs and sliders, so if you prefer a brown or clear switch for the space bar (personally I like grey with clears; clear with browns or ergo clears) let me know.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:04:53 by N8N »
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:20:13 »
bump...

any interest?  Price too high?  let me know...

I see rawko has the clears up now for $22.99 plus shipping (est. $13.74 to me on current auction) this board has been cleaned (including the switches,) tested, etc. ready to plug in and go and has no missing caps for the relegendable keys... I have no need for it and would love to see it go to a home where it'll be used.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:33:49 »
Whad'ya have to go and fix it for? :biggrin: I didn't like browns on the Switch Try Numpad, but for $30 I would have goofed around with a dead board to see what they where like.

Is your board beige or black? The "2" on the end of the product code you posted would make it black, but I though all of rawko's ebay listings where beige boards.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 19:34:08 »
I don't understand Cherry's nomenclature - but now that you mention it, somewhere I messed up.  it is a G80-8200LPBUS/09.  don't know where the 2 came from.  It's definitely beige.

I fixed it because that's what I do :)

Personally I think the best use for these boards is to try different switches, being NKRO and PCB mount, and also being pretty close to a standard ANSI layout (only deviation being the ISO enter and the backslash/pipe key being in the wrong place) so you can use it as a real work board if you want to give something a real tryout.  That's what I used it for (had it set up w/ ergo clears for a while,) but I no longer need it.  I kept my rawko board w/ clears as a backup and I can use that one if I need to try different switches before modding a plate mount board, although I've now tried all the switch flavors save for reds which I'm pretty sure that i wouldn't like.

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 07:13:30 »
bump... anyone?  anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  make me an offer if you want it but think my price is too high... just need less clutter and stuff that I don't use that often.