Author Topic: [IC] Phantom Skeleton Kit  (Read 37338 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [IC] Phantom Skeleton Kit
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:25:07 »
Does the Phantom PCB need diodes? I thought you only need those when you do manual wiring in the form of a matrix.

Any keyboard with anti-ghosting and/or more than 2KRO has diodes. Many newer PCBs have SMD diodes installed at the factory, but the Phantom was designed with through hole intentions. So yes, you have to solder the diodes in during assembly. It's not hard at all.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:10:21 »
Does the Phantom PCB need diodes? I thought you only need those when you do manual wiring in the form of a matrix.

Any keyboard with anti-ghosting and/or more than 2KRO has diodes. Many newer PCBs have SMD diodes installed at the factory, but the Phantom was designed with through hole intentions. So yes, you have to solder the diodes in during assembly. It's not hard at all.

Soldering diodes is so relaxing
so Zen!
happy place
 :thumb: ;D
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline axtran

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:29:01 »
Checked in on the OP again--figure buying a large amount of Teensy modules directly from PJRC might be effective, and electrical components as a large order from Mouser would be bad either. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:58:32 »

Thanks for the explanation!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:30:48 »
Would we be able to order pieces of the kit?

Thanks for your hard work on the project! :D
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:05:04 »
Would we be able to order pieces of the kit?

Thanks for your hard work on the project! :D

Yup. I am thinking that I will offer all the parts in a kit at one price, and make all the individual parts (that I have access to) available for purchase separately.

Offline need

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:49:25 »
So psyched about this, it's happening this weekend right? :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:38:25 »

i would like to start it this weekend, but i'm not quite ready to start taking orders. still trying to procure a solid vendor for stabilizers. i would also like to offer gateron switches if possible

as soon as i get it all locked in, we're ready to launch  :thumb:

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 02:04:35 »
I have all the Phantom parts except for a case.

Depending on price I might get this simple skeleton one  :thumb:

Offline mrging

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 02:38:20 »
so can we get custom sw - like ergo clear or black 60g?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 03:42:12 »
so can we get custom sw - like ergo clear or black 60g?

probly not... at this point we have greetech, kailh, cherry, and a limited supply of gaterons. still no stabs...

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:28:03 »

i would like to start it this weekend, but i'm not quite ready to start taking orders. still trying to procure a solid vendor for stabilizers. i would also like to offer gateron switches if possible

as soon as i get it all locked in, we're ready to launch  :thumb:

Dang roostr, its been a while since I've checked in here, looks like this is going to be a solid buy hope you get lots of support.  :thumb:
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:50:01 »
The survey to me suggests that switches and stabilizers come in a package deal, is that the case? I'd prefer to just get stabilizers.

Offline mrging

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 11:46:28 »
:v hope we can get ZEALIO SWITCHES hehe. anw hope thing start soon.... cant wait anymore..

Offline need

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 11:13:05 »
OP, how's it going?   :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:52:19 »
The survey to me suggests that switches and stabilizers come in a package deal, is that the case? I'd prefer to just get stabilizers.

so far, we dont have a vendor for stabilizers. one may show up during GB, but looks like people will have to source their own.  :(

:v hope we can get ZEALIO SWITCHES hehe. anw hope thing start soon.... cant wait anymore..

Zealios are proprietary through Zeal, and i seriously doubt he would offer a discount for us on this kit. he has (or recently had) a LARGE group buy going on. expect to see more of these in the second hand market and other vendors soon

OP, how's it going?   :)

good. how you doin?  ;)

I'll post the GB thread tonight. feels a bit premature, but wth

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:23:33 »
Doesn't Zeal have stabilisers in his store? Maybe only worth it if you are buying Zealios because of the shipping cost.

Offline axtran

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 16:44:05 »
If you're okay with Costar, they are very inexpensive from WASD.

Offline tuco

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:33:15 »
Will this need standoffs for the LEDs?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 00:29:59 »
Doesn't Zeal have stabilisers in his store? Maybe only worth it if you are buying Zealios because of the shipping cost.

yes, great idea. thanks for that! i thought i saw some in a recent GB thread...  ;D

If you're okay with Costar, they are very inexpensive from WASD.

another good source, thanks!

Will this need standoffs for the LEDs?

no, standoffs will not be necessary, the plate design has very small holes for the LEDs. they will be installed flat to the pcb, under the plate. I will post a build log when prototyping to explain...

Just posted the GB thread. awaiting mod approval. I will open up orders this week. hoping to not get overwhelmed... kinda nervous
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 00:57:02 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline axtran

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 06:29:39 »
You could also opt to use the in-switch LED option for the locking keys instead of the a Filco positions. It's preference and both are supported.

Maybe do pinholes, similar to the Orion v2 at the Filco LED positions? Would be cool.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:06:54 »
You could also opt to use the in-switch LED option for the locking keys instead of the a Filco positions. It's preference and both are supported.

Maybe do pinholes, similar to the Orion v2 at the Filco LED positions? Would be cool.

pinholes are what we have now. I dont think I will be making any more changes to the plate design unless there is some flaw

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:11:03 »

pinholes are what we have now. I dont think I will be making any more changes to the plate design unless there is some flaw

Pinholes are gold! +1
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:24:39 »
Get that GB thread approved!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:52:29 »
Get that GB thread approved!

I DONT KNOW HOW!

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:54:54 »

Offline axtran

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:28:59 »

Issue with Phantom PCB is that it requires plate-mount switches and plate-mount stabilizers. I don't think Zeal has plate-mount stabilizers. Cheapest solution is going to be purchasing 6.25U wire (or 7U wire) on eBay and then finding plate-mount hardware to get Cherry G99 stabilizers, else force everyone to use Costar (which will not jive well with the Cherry Profile keycap crowd. :(

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:37:34 »

Issue with Phantom PCB is that it requires plate-mount switches and plate-mount stabilizers. I don't think Zeal has plate-mount stabilizers. Cheapest solution is going to be purchasing 6.25U wire (or 7U wire) on eBay and then finding plate-mount hardware to get Cherry G99 stabilizers, else force everyone to use Costar (which will not jive well with the Cherry Profile keycap crowd. :(

I think he does.

https://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/pcb-plate-mount-cherry-stabilizers

:)

Offline K.Mak

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:53:47 »

I am a fan of thick Cherry profile PBT and Costar stabilizers and the only time I had a compatibility issue was when I was using a plate that clearly wasn't cut well enough to support the Costar. This was basically proven when I pulled the stabilizers out of my Filco to try out. Meanwhile, I popped those same "incompatible" stabilizers into the Filco, also flawless operation. I have had both Filco and WASD boards with Cherry profile thick PBT, the plate with the issue was from a group buy.

I am pretty sure the only time stabilizers grind keys is when the cutout in the plate isn't large enough, which ends up compressing the stabilizer pegs slightly. This leads to the wire itself being somewhat out of an ideal position and grinding the cap.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:10:56 »

I am a fan of thick Cherry profile PBT and Costar stabilizers and the only time I had a compatibility issue was when I was using a plate that clearly wasn't cut well enough to support the Costar. This was basically proven when I pulled the stabilizers out of my Filco to try out. Meanwhile, I popped those same "incompatible" stabilizers into the Filco, also flawless operation. I have had both Filco and WASD boards with Cherry profile thick PBT, the plate with the issue was from a group buy.

I am pretty sure the only time stabilizers grind keys is when the cutout in the plate isn't large enough, which ends up compressing the stabilizer pegs slightly. This leads to the wire itself being somewhat out of an ideal position and grinding the cap.

yup. 1000x this. i had the same issue with some of my previous keyboards. I am definitely verifying this during prototyping. Costar stabs are (in my experience) usually more available, and cheaper. They are very finicky, though. The problem is that not all clips are created equal; make the cutout too small, and the stems grind. Make the cutout too large and you get a TON of chatter. I have a couple different sets I will be using to verify the cutout sizes, but if anyone else has input please share!

Offline axtran

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:32:52 »
I can guarantee that Costar doesn't work on true GMK/OG Cherry keycaps. "Cherry Profile" Gateron is YMMV. I also didn't see Zeal had Plate Mount stabs. No matter, the shipping is prohibitive for a cost-effective bulk purchase, all things considered with a Phantom package. :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:58:42 »
I use Costar stabilizers on a Filco with OG Cherry keycaps without any issue.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:37:25 »
Group Buy thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80118

locking this thread. Thanks everyone!