Author Topic: Kailh choc footprint compatible with protoboard  (Read 1418 times)

Offline yui

Kailh choc footprint compatible with protoboard
« on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 02:41:03 »
Hello, i have never read about this so i feel i should share, i had bought Kailh choc switches for my custom trackball build, and while playing around i found out that the footprint lined up perfectly on proto/perfboard, need to either let them hang on the side of drill larger holes for the plastic legs but the electrical contacts line up on a 2*3 grid and the plastic legs do somewhat also line up.
I wonder if it was a design consideration by kailh or just an happy little accident. fell this could be useful for others building custom boards.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Kailh choc footprint compatible with protoboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 08:41:18 »
Hello, i have never read about this so i feel i should share, i had bought Kailh choc switches for my custom trackball build, and while playing around i found out that the footprint lined up perfectly on proto/perfboard, need to either let them hang on the side of drill larger holes for the plastic legs but the electrical contacts line up on a 2*3 grid and the plastic legs do somewhat also line up.
I wonder if it was a design consideration by kailh or just an happy little accident. fell this could be useful for others building custom boards.

That is freaking awesome. Is it just a matter of boring out an existing hole for the fixing pins? That might make it really easy to try to mod mechanical boards into laptops. I wish choc jades weren't so expensive in comparison to box switches.

I literally just got my first ever batch of choc jades in a few days ago. I was going to swap them into a little Perixx Periboard-428. Now I almost just want to buy some perfboard and start hacking up the case of a Chromebook with a dremel tool.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 November 2021, 09:56:05 by Maledicted »

Offline yui

Re: Kailh choc footprint compatible with protoboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 01:14:03 »
for the fixing pins, kinda, they are about 1/3 of the hole out of alignment, so need to overbore them a bit, honestly i chose to hang them om the side of the protoboard strip i had on hand, less work that way :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)