Author Topic: [IC] Oxblood Tactile Switches | Preinstalled TX Springs  (Read 61162 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: [IC] Oxblood Tactile Switches | Preinstalled TX Springs
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 22:53:29 »
oxbloods still on my radar. i’ve been typing on kailh silent box browns recently and really enjoying them. new batch so alignment is good, no rattle, consistent feel, noticeable but not distracting bump for feedback. just read this thread on browns and felt the need to give oxbloods a bump.

Same here - been holding out for Oxbloods and I keep checking the thread at least once a week for updates lol.

Good to hear about silent box browns - I actually freaking love box browns, they are my fav light tactile but I hate how they become clicky after awhile. Does the silent one have an issue with becoming clicky over time? I have been looking for alternatives to the box brown but have not come across something that can replicate that tactile bump.

I recently read a report elsewhere of BOX Silent Browns becoming clicky after a while. I don't know if they were new batch or old batch.

It may have to do with lubing. Studies have revealed different lubing methods for different subtypes of BOX tactiles. Some BOX Browns receive an indiscriminate blob of lube, whereas certain subtypes such as "ART BOX Browns" appear to have a lesser amount, in a more consistent coating. This does have an impact on sound and tactility. Lube seems to be a factor in BOX Brown operation.

Offline Harue

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 18:07:32 »
Very interested! :cool:

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 20:29:25 »
yoyoyo when does this run i gotta know

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 12:46:56 »
yoyoyo when does this run i gotta know

Stick around here and follow Dale on his social networks but we all want to know.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 12:52:50 »
Count me interested as well!

I've received a lot of notifications from this IC lately, but I haven't seen anything from Dale.

Is this project still alive and just on hold at the moment?

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 11:04:36 »
Seriously. These have to run. They are perfect.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:04:49 »
Seriously. These have to run. They are sound like they will be perfect.

fify  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 21:16:41 by azzipa »

Offline actress

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 17:05:43 »
How similar are these to Pewters aside from spring weight?

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 18:14:23 »
Count me in!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 18:34:28 »
https://divinikey.com/collections/tactile-switches/products/durock-light-tactile-switches

Is this dead? Looking like other places are stocking this stem.  :'(

Offline iaman

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 22:48:42 »
How similar are these to Pewters aside from spring weight?
Pewters also have UHMWPE in their housing mix. Other than those two details, they seem to be the same type of JWK-made tactile.

Offline Galk

• Send help
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 05:40:32 »
Looks cool,  hopefully this project isnt dead
Collecting pennies to afford keyboards.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 20:59:08 »

old school, like oxblood loafers
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 21:32:42 by azzipa »

Offline eibbun

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 21:15:44 »
mmmm this color

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:51:53 »
Still waiting on these. Possibly grail tactiles just from reading the specs.

Offline RedJohn456

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 16:18:43 »
Hoping for an update on these badboys, currently rocking pewters on my F1-8X and loving them. Can't wait to see how oxbloods turn out. I really hope they don't factory lubed as I had to hand clean the Pewter stems due to inconsistent factory lubing and its a pain in the back.

Would love to see a typing test if dale has any pre production samples in a board or something similar

Offline WarlordGorguts

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 15:05:17 »
Any news? Would be great to pair them with GMK Slasher)

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 22:36:49 »
Still want these. The color is literally perfect. Plz...

Offline zea

• yeh
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 23:32:58 »
please revive this like with slasher, i would love to see this but with full nylon housings to be different to the ones that durock already offers.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 01:31:09 »
Just for anyone wondering, I don't think this project has been forgotten, I think dale has been busy with the Dalco 959 mini and slasher. I asked on his most recent IG post and he seems to say that oxbloods are still happening, maybe after gmk slasher.
Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/2tZDMaN

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 17:59:09 »
There will be an update with new information and specs soon.

I will be ironing out some options that previously alluded me, but recently have become available.

Once this is fully confirmed I will update this thread with more information.

But be on the lookout for these in the near future.

We're not dead yet folks.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 19:43:47 »
We're not dead yet folks.

there’s a hint of monty python here. and i’m really happy about it!

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 04:42:33 »
so gud

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 22:35:20 »
Figured I'd link an update from Dale's other IC here:

"A note regarding Oxbloods
Because of my hardheadedness and my need to put out a light tactile I'm proud of,
I've decided to postpone their production so that I can work to create something truly custom and try to
recreate the feel of vintage browns with some tweaks. These are still on the way, but may pop up again
with some reworks on the name and design."

Link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114759.msg3084907#msg3084907

Hopefully the color at least stays the same/similar. :/

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 00:11:06 »
This is potentially good news.

If you want the old OxBlood, you can almost get that with Durock Light Tactile and TX springs.

I haven't been all-that-impressed with Pewters or Durock Light Tactile, because of bad factory lube in the early Pewters, or bad spring choices in Durock Light Tactile. So I'm cool with skipping this current run and waiting for a better design. Pewters ain't vintage Browns.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 00:59:36 »
This is potentially good news.

If you want the old OxBlood, you can almost get that with Durock Light Tactile and TX springs.

I haven't been all-that-impressed with Pewters or Durock Light Tactile, because of bad factory lube in the early Pewters, or bad spring choices in Durock Light Tactile. So I'm cool with skipping this current run and waiting for a better design. Pewters ain't vintage Browns.

Suppose now that I'm going fully custom with these, I can be more open about the goal of the project being a slight tweak and recreation of Vintage Browns.

With the community finally either realizing or coming to terms with the fact that browns at some point were great, and just served a purpose completely different than most people thought they did, it seems like much less of a detriment to the project.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 11:52:50 »
Yes!

And with boards like the NCR-80 coming out, you can put them into a keyboard approximating a classic Cherry setup!

It would be really interesting to try something directly based on Vintage Browns. Browns get a lot of bad rap partly because of questionable advertising of being a 'tactile switch' when they're really a light ergo.

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 10:42:24 »
Will 2022 be the year of the Oxblood switches? Probably not, but a man can dream.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 22:14:48 »
Still hoping to see these soon. Have been using browns, ceruleans and pewters but a better-brown with no lube would be my 1st choice

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 01:49:53 »
Still hoping to see these soon. Have been using browns, ceruleans and pewters but a better-brown with no lube would be my 1st choice

Never go no lube, maaan!

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 10:42:17 »

I have some experience with Durock Light Tactile now, so I figure I should add it to the conversation.

I have tested DLT using stock springs, as well as TX replacements. I've tested stock Pewters, and also the new Cotton Candy, which is a factory-lubed and filmed nylon DLT.

The overall impression is that DLT-based designs are more tactile. You can watch the following Youtube video:

At 2:30, you can see that the Cotton Candy [~58 G spring, I think] requires more force than a Naevy 1.5. Now, the Naevy 1.5 is meant to be an Ergo Clear, although maybe a light one also at about 58 G.

A Cotton Candy will push down a Naevy 1.5 first. So this DLT-based design is more tactile, or heavier at about ~58 G than a light Ergo Clear.

This was my experience as well. It requires more initial force to depress a Durock Light Tactile than it does a Brown, or light Ergo Clear.

So Durock Light Tactile is on the heavier end of light-tactiles. It's sharp and snappy in my experience, barely lighter than a Durock Medium Tactile. [Although I think there's more 'negative space' after the tactile event in a DMT].

What this means is that DLT-based designs can possibly replicate what is remembered as 'Vintage Browns.' I don't know if the memory is accurate, having typed on very few of them. But DLT is more tactile than MX Brown, and of course smoother and with a tighter housing.

There is a significant disadvantage in sound, as Durock tactiles are often higher-pitched and more plasticy/empty-sounding than Cherry. [Face it, Cherry is godlike in housing sound. Durock is not.] They require lube, but even then I wasn't impressed by the high-pitched, chittery nature of Pewters. Cotton Candy rectifies this somewhat with nylon housings, and may be the best DLT.

So can you make Vint Browns out of DLT? I don't know. They will need nylon housings [probably], lube [from factory or otherwise], and 57-60 G springs [62 is Ergo Clear territory and 52-55 G springs might need some heft behind them].

The colour scheme of OxBlood fits a theme, so I wouldn't change it. They may need to come unlubed, since it's really hard [or expensive] to get good factory lube. Maybe as an option. You can get a good light tactile out of these, although I'm not completely sure it would be a Vint Brown. [The aesthetic can work].

I think that a real recreation of Vint Browns would essentially need to be a Cherry Brown without all the non-sense from worn tooling. So it would have to be like a freshly-retooled pre-Hyperglide MX Brown. [The Hyperglide housings have interference with Cherry profile, which surely isn't a characteristic of Vint Browns].

You could either commission this from Cherry [doubtful, but not impossible. Someone is allegedly doing a custom run with them right now]. Or ask JWK/Durock to copy MX Brown stem and put it in DLT [or even DMT] nylon housing with ~58 G spring. With Cherry-style factory lube, or option for no lube. This could be done in OxBlood colour scheme, I believe.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 11:26:13 »
Someone should commission JWK to make Vint Browns.

Option 1. would be smoother modern Browns. Just copy a circa 2010-2016 MX Brown stem and put it in a nylon Durock Light Tactile housing.

55 G 14-16mm TX or 57 G 15mm TX / and 62 G 14mm TX will cover the spring options.

Option 2. would be a smoother Vint Brown. Make an MX Brown stem that's 25% more tactile than today's Hyperglide Browns. Put it in a nylon Durock Light Tactile housing.

You could shift the spring options a little upwards from the previous example, in that case. [e.g. 55 G Long and 62 G 14mm should still be enough].

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 11:54:06 »
If we want Durock Light Tactiles that look like OxBlood and evoke a fuzzy sense of Vint Browns, then you'll want nylon housings, 55[L]-57[15mm] G and 62 G [14mm] TX springs.

Stock Durock/JWK 58.5 G springs are also pretty decent for the purpose. As are their 63.5 G springs in the Medium Tactile [e.g. Mode Signal].

Offline actress

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 17:44:23 »
I'd be interested in some pre-hyperglide browns. Although I don't think Cherry would agree to do it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 17:57:09 »
Haha, so I guess it's better to ask Durock to make a lighter [MX Brown] stem.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 01:04:24 »

I have some experience with Durock Light Tactile now, so I figure I should add it to the conversation.

I have tested DLT using stock springs, as well as TX replacements. I've tested stock Pewters, and also the new Cotton Candy, which is a factory-lubed and filmed nylon DLT.

The overall impression is that DLT-based designs are more tactile. You can watch the following Youtube video:

At 2:30, you can see that the Cotton Candy [~58 G spring, I think] requires more force than a Naevy 1.5. Now, the Naevy 1.5 is meant to be an Ergo Clear, although maybe a light one also at about 58 G.

A Cotton Candy will push down a Naevy 1.5 first. So this DLT-based design is more tactile, or heavier at about ~58 G than a light Ergo Clear.

This was my experience as well. It requires more initial force to depress a Durock Light Tactile than it does a Brown, or light Ergo Clear.

So Durock Light Tactile is on the heavier end of light-tactiles. It's sharp and snappy in my experience, barely lighter than a Durock Medium Tactile. [Although I think there's more 'negative space' after the tactile event in a DMT].

What this means is that DLT-based designs can possibly replicate what is remembered as 'Vintage Browns.' I don't know if the memory is accurate, having typed on very few of them. But DLT is more tactile than MX Brown, and of course smoother and with a tighter housing.

There is a significant disadvantage in sound, as Durock tactiles are often higher-pitched and more plasticy/empty-sounding than Cherry. [Face it, Cherry is godlike in housing sound. Durock is not.] They require lube, but even then I wasn't impressed by the high-pitched, chittery nature of Pewters. Cotton Candy rectifies this somewhat with nylon housings, and may be the best DLT.

So can you make Vint Browns out of DLT? I don't know. They will need nylon housings [probably], lube [from factory or otherwise], and 57-60 G springs [62 is Ergo Clear territory and 52-55 G springs might need some heft behind them].

The colour scheme of OxBlood fits a theme, so I wouldn't change it. They may need to come unlubed, since it's really hard [or expensive] to get good factory lube. Maybe as an option. You can get a good light tactile out of these, although I'm not completely sure it would be a Vint Brown. [The aesthetic can work].

I think that a real recreation of Vint Browns would essentially need to be a Cherry Brown without all the non-sense from worn tooling. So it would have to be like a freshly-retooled pre-Hyperglide MX Brown. [The Hyperglide housings have interference with Cherry profile, which surely isn't a characteristic of Vint Browns].

You could either commission this from Cherry [doubtful, but not impossible. Someone is allegedly doing a custom run with them right now]. Or ask JWK/Durock to copy MX Brown stem and put it in DLT [or even DMT] nylon housing with ~58 G spring. With Cherry-style factory lube, or option for no lube. This could be done in OxBlood colour scheme, I believe.
How do HG browns interfere with cherry caps? I've got them in my zenith and there doesn't seem to be any interference..?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 08:44:51 »
It's murky, but people have reported binding issues with some types of switches:

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/why-cherry-retooled-switches-can-bind-with-gmk-keycaps

Offline actress

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 09:52:16 »
Haven't personally encountered binding issues but hyperglide tooling feels and sounds like ass in comparison to older cherry imo.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #188 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 12:13:54 »
More reason why we need a properly-manufactured MX Brown.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 13:16:41 »
having been a huge fan of the cotton candy switches these are a welcome surprise, I'm assuming the bump has a bit of pretravel or no?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2022, 15:20:57 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 13:48:15 »
Personally don't get the whole preinstalled TX Spring thing. Pretty much everyone is going take em apart to lube em anyways and it forces expensive springs that might not be exactly to personal preferences. I guess 62g is close enough for most people anyways and seems to be super popular.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 13:21:35 »
Personally don't get the whole preinstalled TX Spring thing. Pretty much everyone is going take em apart to lube em anyways and it forces expensive springs that might not be exactly to personal preferences. I guess 62g is close enough for most people anyways and seems to be super popular.

Well, what would you rather like - have a good spring in by default or have a ****ty spring in there that you remove and just collect in some ziplock with an idea "I'll keep these if I ever run out" or something. The fact people will probably open up switches to lube'em doesn't impact the other fact that at least there's a good spring in there that most will actually use.

People have preferences, sure, but personally - I'd like to order switches that I only need to lube and not order one more thing & pay for one more shipping.

On other fact - if these ever land, cool. But I don't think these will be as hyped as Dale was planning in 2020. Just buy switches that are available, guys.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 22:53:27 »
Just found out about these. Count me interested :D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 12:14:44 »
Show Image

Never go no lube, maaan!

Why not : )  I like nothing on it     Feeling switch is Happy switch.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 02:37:20 »
Any update on these?

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 22 September 2022, 19:36:34 »
Any update on these?

From Dale's Discord:
Oxblood Switches - Working with new manu on a linear to kick things off and fund custom stem molds for proper oxbloods. Thinking of a rename and rebrand of oxbloods as well though.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 23 September 2022, 17:16:07 »
I wonder what "proper Oxbloods" means. Something closer to vintage Brown?

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 00:21:51 »
Definitely interested in this. Cherry mx browns hold a special place in my heart.

Offline mixed-switch

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 22:56:28 »
I might asking a really dumb question here but how to these compaire to say Azure Dragons?

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 12:36:27 »
I might asking a really dumb question here but how to these compaire to say Azure Dragons?

Azure dragons exist, these don't. That's the only comparison point that matters.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf