Author Topic: New desk setup  (Read 6882 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

New desk setup
« on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 01:15:41 »
My current setup is a kitchen table and chair-  very very uncomfortable.  I've treated myself to a nice office/task chair and am purchasing a adjustable standing desk, though I'll be doing more sitting than standing.  I like the monitor farrrrr away from me.  It's not huge, but it's 27".  My new desk will only be 24" deep and the monitor will be much closer.  I am looking for a monitor bracket that can clamp to the desk.  I want to free up the space the stand takes, but more importantly I want to move it away.  Reading descriptions and reviews I can't really seem to get a straight answer.  I want the monitor to at least be flush with the back of the desk, but preferably a few inches back.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Is this possible?  I will post a link so you can see an example of what I am talking about.     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B419MZ8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A1Q5TXAPOS7WLS&psc=1
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline nevin

Re: New desk setup
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 01:34:03 »
depending on size/weight of monitor, it's usually a good idea to get an arm that will support more than what your monitor is. your 27 is at the top of the supported list of this arm. so your 27 should be in the middle of the supported sizes notation. it's not only the size & weight of the monitor but the length of the arm segments. if you're at the top end of the scale you might have slightly limited movement due to length of arm segments... if that makes sense....

i finally picked up a tri-monitor stand not long ago and learned this while i was researching. the one i got is noting fancy, but does the job well and i'm happy with it. main/center monitor is 23", and sides are 17" & 15" (old dell screens)

what's your setup like? do you have a wall behind your desk? would it be easier to get the distance you want by mounting your screen on the wall instead of the desk? and pull your desk out from the wall a bit? (especially wanting the monitor further away than the desk is deep)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:39:03 »
Right, so I should get a mount that supports 19"- 32" or something.  Mounting on the wall is not an option, but there will be space behind the desk for this purpose. 

It's just looking at the different brackets it is hard to get a sense of the possible orientations.  Maybe I can find a YouTube review of a popular model. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline naptime

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 14:15:11 »
I have my 32in HP monitor on an adjustable wall mount from Echogear and they make a desk mounted version as well. Not sure if the arm extends backwards but I'm sure you could email to ask. This was the only adjustable wall mount I could find that could support such a large heavy monitor and I'm very happy with it.