geekhack Community > Off Topic

Are comedy movies dead?

<< < (2/5) > >>

fohat.digs:
Not necessarily, but I think that they have gone into a self-imposed exile.

Perhaps many people are afraid that it is not "cool" to laugh out loud any more. Can you imagine something like "The 3 Stooges" being made in the 21st century?

People need to laugh, now more than ever, but the art and craft of "good clean fun" has gone far out of favor. Mostly today we see the attempt at "sophistication" in dark, snide, sarcastic humor.

To be honest, I wonder whether movie makers have the courage any more to make simple "fun" movies that audiences can enjoy and feel good about.

Faceman76:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:25:48 ---Not necessarily, but I think that they have gone into a self-imposed exile.

Perhaps many people are afraid that it is not "cool" to laugh out loud any more. Can you imagine something like "The 3 Stooges" being made in the 21st century?

People need to laugh, now more than ever, but the art and craft of "good clean fun" has gone far out of favor. Mostly today we see the attempt at "sophistication" in dark, snide, sarcastic humor.

To be honest, I wonder whether movie makers have the courage any more to make simple "fun" movies that audiences can enjoy and feel good about.

--- End quote ---
Due to political correctness and cancel culture,  it's no longer acceptable to make fun of anyone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

iri:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sat, 03 July 2021, 23:27:10 ---When was the last time in recent years you saw a legitimately funny comedy movie?

--- End quote ---
I saw Paddington 2 recently and it made me smile. It's probably not too funny, but lovely and enjoyable.

pixelpusher:
I've seen a handful of comedies in the past year that were pretty good.  But for the most part, I laugh my ass off watching TikTok every night before bed.  It's a good stress reliever.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: StickyBlueJuice on Sun, 04 July 2021, 01:07:47 ---The last movie that got a chuckle out of me was "A Million Ways to Die in the West" - for some reason.

--- End quote ---

This my favorite scene. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version