Author Topic: Modern keyboard with the same feel as a Sun Type-6?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline zdimension

Modern keyboard with the same feel as a Sun Type-6?
« on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 09:10:04 »
Hi!

I've been using a Sun Type-6 keyboard (PC layout, AZERTY) for some time now, got in from an old school lab that wanted to throw it in the trash (yeah, I know), and I love the feel of the keys. I've never used any other keyboard with that feel, and even though the Sun is a nice keyboard, it lacks in some aspects (size of the space bar, position of the modifier keys, programmable macro keys, though I've written a driver that remaps all Unix keys to stuff Windows understands). I've found similarity in the feel of the Corsair K55 but it's not quite the same, the Corsair feels harder.

Is there any modern keyboard (i.e. regular key layout, perhaps with macro keys?) that has that feel? Membrane, mechanical switch, I'm only looking for the feel. The Sun uses membrane, so if I have to go with membrane, so be it.

Thanks!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Modern keyboard with the same feel as a Sun Type-6?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 12:21:11 »
Hello. Welcome to Geekhack.

I have never used a Sun Type-6 board, but your best bet of finding somebody who has along with something modern that might be comparable is on Deskthority. Mystii in the Discord is something of a rubber dome connoisseur.