geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

KatzenKinder Capworks

<< < (2/6) > >>

KatzenKinder:

--- Quote from: Heliosphere on Fri, 12 September 2014, 11:54:24 ---Very cool! Thanks for sharing the process. Casting seems like it creates a lot of waste for a single keycap - about how much does it cost in material just for one casting?

--- End quote ---

My initial costs were around $200, and I can seemingly produce 5-6 separate molds at this efficiency, and at least 100 caps with this amount of resin. Per-cap costs are probably pretty low! Of course this is without any pigmentation or such, so it'd be for plain-boring-vanilla caps. It's obviously much cheaper to buy in bulk though, so costs could be even lower per-cap.

KatzenKinder:
New round of experiments!

I've begun to use syringes to inject the resin as advised by /u/claybratt. Seems to have helped with the bubbles forming within the mold. Also began to pre-fill the stems on the lower half of the mold with resin, which allows the stem to form fully pretty much 99% of the time.

Also got my first two test pigments in, which are Kremer's Quindo Pink and Something Orange (I can't remember haha).

New mold is based on Love Machine from Summer Wars, but the detail doesn't show up very well in these pics.

heedpantsnow:
Making great progress, bro.  Thanks for sharing!  The caps are looking better and better!

KatzenKinder:

Finally getting the technique down pretty solid. All of these have fully formed stems, a few have some small holes around the back of the cap but are for the most part complete. Going to see if there's any interest in these prototypes before I move on to try and step up my equipment / experiment with other resins & pigments.

KatzenKinder:
Inspiration for the initial molds came from

Shimaki's golems from Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer

Love Machine from Summer Wars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version