Author Topic: Compressor for 2.6 gallon pressure pot  (Read 3384 times)

Offline tobsn

Compressor for 2.6 gallon pressure pot
« on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 17:13:34 »
Any recommendations for the size of the compressor? Compressor tank volume, KW, etc.

Thanks!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: Compressor for 2.6 gallon pressure pot
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 19:00:00 »
You dont need much in terms of compressors. The maximum pressure i use is about 50-60 psi in the pot. What you will find for compressors are either designed to run automotive or construction tools and all of those start at around 90psi working. So yeah, whatever should be fine.
-Dana

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 19:24:36 »
I can vouch for this compressor. It's quiet and effective.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 20:01:50 »
I can vouch for this compressor. It's quiet and effective.

It's also oil-less which means less to worry about. They are good compressors. I second the recommendation.

Offline tobsn

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 20:12:37 »
I picked a company in the EU that has only very good ratings and ended up picking the 35 liter (9.2 gallon) tank version over the 9 liter (2.37 gallon) version since the pressure pot is 10 liter (2.6 gallon).

https://www.amazon.de/850W-Flüster-Kompressor-Druckluftkompressor-IMPLOTEX/dp/B00JZQOUQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485828595&sr=8-1

Makes sense right?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 21:47:28 »
Do you have 220v at the wall in Germany? I mean thats a very nice compressor... way more expensive than you really need. This is what i'd go with for starters... https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2002-Oil-Free-Pancake-Compressor/dp/B000O5RO1Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485834363&sr=8-4&keywords=compressor $100 (93 euro)
-Dana

Offline tobsn

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 05:02:09 »
220v is standard outlet output in europe and a bunch of more countries - they also all have the same plug (besides the U.K.).
I'm not in Germany, moved to Poland from Cali. :)

I know it's pretty expensive but it's super quiet - watched a view videos. The pressure pot i had to order in the U.K. and they told me to have the compressor connected to it at all times since a pot is never 100% sealed hence the 9 liter compressor wouldn't be enough for 10 liter pot, i guess.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 10:10:46 »
the size of the compressors tank doesn't dictate the volume it can fill. I don't know the math off the top of my head but I suspect a 5L tank of air compressed at 120psi will fill a 10L tank at 50psi in one shot with out needing the compressor to turn back on. But regardless, you just run the compressor until the pressure pot (regardless of size) reaches the pressure you want.

The only time the tank on the compressor becomes a factor is running air tools. What happens with a small tank is you're grinding along with an angle grinder using 30CFM at 90psi and after 15 seconds of use you have to stop what you're doing and wait for the compressor to fill the tank back up so you can keep working.

Regardless, grab what you want... that compressor's specs are pretty awesome. You will have more than you need for many uses i suspect. :thumb:
-Dana

Offline tobsn

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 13:09:40 »
yeah great now you make me regret my purchase :P

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 00:31:02 »
yeah great now you make me regret my purchase :P

Nah not at all, you got an amazing compressor! Definitely wont need to ever replace it with an upgrade.
Now you just have to get into working on cars or woodworking or airbrushing... or all of those extra hobbies  ;D
-Dana

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 16:09:15 »

the size of the compressors tank doesn't dictate the volume it can fill. I don't know the math off the top of my head but I suspect a 5L tank of air compressed at 120psi will fill a 10L tank at 50psi in one shot with out needing the compressor to turn back on. But regardless, you just run the compressor until the pressure pot (regardless of size) reaches the pressure you want.

The only time the tank on the compressor becomes a factor is running air tools. What happens with a small tank is you're grinding along with an angle grinder using 30CFM at 90psi and after 15 seconds of use you have to stop what you're doing and wait for the compressor to fill the tank back up so you can keep working.

Regardless, grab what you want... that compressor's specs are pretty awesome. You will have more than you need for many uses i suspect. :thumb:

Thanks for the link and the explanation. Nice to have found exactly what I was looking for. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 16:11:44 by sublyme »