geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)

(1/106) > >>

dr_derivative:
GB is now live!

XDA Oblique is a keyset inspired by the keycaps of the AEK, M0116, AEKII, and similar Apple keyboards. I initially designed this set in DSA profile, but some people suggested XDA would look better and in a poll XDA won 2:1 with nearly 70 votes.

The font used in this keyset is Oswald Light and is angled at 18°. This is a very close to Univers 57 Condensed Oblique, the font used on the AEK. I have modified/resized some of the symbols to match the AEK. The only characters that are significantly different are G, R, J, '&', @ and the lowercase g in page up/page down. Even Univers 57 isn't an exact match to the AEK's font though; it is slanted at a smaller angle and several of the symbols are different. The colour will be Pantone Cool Grey 2 U, which matches Apple's colour very well.

Renders

Super high-res 4k version

Super high-res 4k version (Imgur decided this one was just a little too big and converted it to a JPEG. Let me know if you want the original 4k PNG for whatever reason ;D )

Super high-res 4k version (Imgur decided this one was just a little too big and converted it to a JPEG. Let me know if you want the original 4k PNG for whatever reason ;D )

Specs

This keyset will be made in XDA profile. XDA is a uniform profile similar to DSA but with a flatter, wider top surface.

The keys will be made of PBT with dye-sublimated legends. The grey keys will be a custom coloured PBT, while the accent keys will be dip-dyed.

Kit Layouts

Unfortunately there are no 6u center-stem spacebars or convex 1u spacebar keys in XDA profile, so bad news for the HHKB and ortho users that requested them :(

Stats from the IC form More
* Total 272 responses (281 if you include multiple submissions)
* 225 people left email addresses to be notifiedWhere people saw the IC:

* 47% from /r/MechanicalKeyboards
* 36% form Geekhack
* 13% from /r/mechmarket
* 3% from Deskthority
* 0.7% misread the question and filled out their username in the 'other' field
* 0.3% came from the MechKeys DiscordText Mods vs. Icon Mods:

* 22% want text mods
* 29% prefer text mods, but like both
* 21% prefer icon mods, but like both
* 10% want icon mods
* 18% want bothNormal Alphas vs. Katakana Alphas:

* 50% want normal alphas
* 25% want katakana alphas
* 5% want both
* 20% don't mindTotal number of kits people said they would buy:

* 193 base alphas*
* 122 katakana alphas*
* 206 text mods*
* 149 icon mods*
* 183 accent kits†
* 95 numpad kits
* 212 compatibility kits
* 131 spacebar kits
* 67 homing kits
* 149.5 forties/ortho kits‡ (Yes, someone actually said they wanted half a kit ??? )
* 30 UK kits
* 37 international kits
* 201 novelty kits†* Based on stats from before the base kit was split. Figures are based on the number of base kits people said they wanted combined with their preference for alphas/mods
† Number of people interested before these kits were actually created
‡ Total number before the 40%/ortho kit was split

Special thanks

Quaddepos has helped a huge amount with the development of this set. Pretty much everything since the end of January has been a group effort between us.
/u/mangoeatingkiwi helped a lot with the ortho kit. Since I'm not an ortho user this sped things up a lot ;D .
/u/twigcase from /r/VintageApple helped us match Apple's original grey colour. He also makes and sells some very cool paper iPhone cases on his website.
Thank you to everyone that gave feedback throughout the IC. Lots of the best ideas came from things that were suggested during the IC (XDA profile, the accent kit, Japanese sublegends, ...)

Contact me

If you want to contact me for whatever reason you can PM me on Geekhack (dr_derivative), Reddit (/u/dr_derivative), or Discord (dr_derivative#3618).

Support XDA Oblique

If you want to be notified when the groupbuy starts fill out this form. If you already left your email in the first IC form there is no need to fill out this one too.

Feel free to add the XDA Oblique banner to your signature if you want to:

--- Code: ---[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93586.0][img width=384 height=100]https://i.imgur.com/JfySR26.png[/img][/url]
--- End code ---

xondat:
Interested. Love the look of these sets.

nickaster1:
DSA Vintage?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

hineybush:
neat

ShadeDream:
The typeface used on the AEK was Univers 57 condensed oblique if you wanted to get an exact match. Not a big fan of DSA myself, but I've always preferred the older Apple legends over the standard PC ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version